ADVERTISEMENT

HERDNATION.COM Practice Report 3/27/18 (free content)

I freaking called it that Harris and Smith wont be back.

Piss Poor recruiting this off-season at the DT position.

Reactions: 31Herd55
I freaking called it that Harris and Smith wont be back.

Piss Poor recruiting this off-season at the DT position.
I know, we only landed one legit 3-star DT in the class that was only the 7th highest rated recruit in a highly rated class. :rolleyes:

we return both starters and two backups that saw decent PT so we will be okay in 2018, but we will need to look for a good JUCO DT in the 2019 class and we could yet land a DT "future" for the 2018 class. ;)

Either way, we only have 1 scholarship DT over 280 pounds. That is pathetic. And we let the Ratliff kid walk away and ignored the 2 Martinsburg kids.

Hames coming in at 252 pounds? Did he have mono or something the last 3 months?

The lack of solid depth recruiting along the Dline is pathetic but then again we have 2 Dline coaches who have never sent a player to the NFL so it will be difficult to get any good DL to take us serious.

Reactions: 31Herd55
Either way, we only have 1 scholarship DT over 280 pounds. That is pathetic. And we let the Ratliff kid walk away and ignored the 2 Martinsburg kids.

Hames coming in at 252 pounds? Did he have mono or something the last 3 months?

The lack of solid depth recruiting along the Dline is pathetic but then again we have 2 Dline coaches who have never sent a player to the NFL so it will be difficult to get any good DL to take us serious.
I agree that it is strange that Hames lost weight, but we do have 3 scholarship DTs over 280 and Charkie Johnson is some extra butter on his biscuits away from being over 280 as well. The Martinsburg kid that is very good was offered and he chose WVU while the other one wasn't quite good enough to get an offer. The shot at the coaches is stupid as Price is a solid coach and Brown was a good OLB/DE Coach at VT for 5 years. we will be fine in 2018, but we likely need a JUCO in the 2019 class or a top class 2018 NQ over the summer.

I agree that it is strange that Hames lost weight, but we do have 3 scholarship DTs over 280 and Charkie Johnson is some extra butter on his biscuits away from being over 280 as well. The Martinsburg kid that is very good was offered and he chose WVU while the other one wasn't quite good enough to get an offer. The shot at the coaches is stupid as Price is a solid coach and Brown was a good OLB/DE Coach at VT for 5 years. we will be fine in 2018, but we likely need a JUCO in the 2019 class or a top class 2018 NQ over the summer.

And I wasnt talking about Tavis Lee. I was talking about the 2 DTs

Im sorry but Price has produced 1 legit NFL player since he has been here. And last year was his first year coaching Bee because he was forced to move inside because of our lack of recruiting on the DL.

Sounds as if ANY QB pressure our D will get this coming season will be from off the edges or from delayed outside blitzes, etc., and not straight on from our D interior, etc. Just wonder how many foes, including USC and NC State, will be good enough and strong enough in their O lines to try and just ram the ball straight at us in their offensive rushing attacks?

Donald was a beast at Pitt also

Hames is a DE forced to play DT because piss poor recruiting on the DL

I don't get why you think it's so piss poor? Some people act like teams jammed it down our throat last year and that's simply not true.

Reactions: ToesMU
I don't get why you think it's so piss poor? Some people act like teams jammed it down our throat last year and that's simply not true.

Lets stop with that knowledge now. The one team that was decent in the run game that we played had a back put up almost 200 yards on us. I dont even count ODU because it was clear they was going to run Lawry until he couldnt run anymore because they didnt trust their QB to throw the ball at all and Wilder is overrated as a coach also.

After this season, we will have only 2 DL over 280 pounds. Charkie Johnson who hasnt done anything and Maddox who is a walk-on. We lost 3 DT's this off-season and we didnt even bother to attack the position this past offseason but we did sign 7 WRs and 5 Linebackers which is an overload in my opinion. Our second best DT is a 250 pound DE who cant gain weight. After 3 years, he is still 250.

In the words of @BleedsGreen33 "We recruit WRs to be Corners, We recruit Corners to Safeties, We recruit Safeties to be Linebackers, linebackers to be DE's, and undersized DE's to be DTs and then hope they gain the weight in 3 years"

FAU rushed for 189 yards in that game. If you go back and look, 85 yards of their rushing came on 2 plays. Take those two plays away and they rushed for 104 yards on 43 carries. I realize those 85 yards still count, but you get my point.

As far as the 2019 season, you’re creating problems before they exist. Hell, we’re getting ready for the 2nd practice of the 2018 spring session and you’re already worried about September 2nd, 2019.

It’ll work itself out. Try to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Like Basketball, I wont be convinced until I see the recruiting to match my concerns.
Maybe your concerns aren't the same concerns of the coaches and we know that they know far more about the game and team than anyone on here. We landed a 3-star DT in the recruiting class and I would almost guarantee that we get another as a future before the summer is over.

Maybe your concerns aren't the same concerns of the coaches and we know that they know far more about the game and team than anyone on here. We landed a 3-star DT in the recruiting class and I would almost guarantee that we get another as a future before the summer is over.

Another Undersized DT

Not really. Morgan has the frame to get into the 290+ range as a 3-Tech and is skinny at 6-4/242. We don't want fat asses with lesser talent by the way.

Yea because after 3 years, Hames has really gained that 40 pounds to his frame. The current S&C staff havent really been great at adding muscle weight to our players.

I would rather take a Fat kid who has athletic ability and reshape his body vs. taking an undersized kid and hope he gains the 40+ pounds.

And speaking of fat asses. You didnt want the Cowart kid from Brooklyn that ended up at ODU and became their best interior DLineman.

Yea because after 3 years, Hames has really gained that 40 pounds to his frame. The current S&C staff havent really been great at adding muscle weight to our players.

I would rather take a Fat kid who has athletic ability and reshape his body vs. taking an undersized kid and hope he gains the 40+ pounds.

And speaking of fat asses. You didnt want the Cowart kid from Brooklyn that ended up at ODU and became their best interior DLineman.
You must be thinking of someone else. As for fat kids, the big problem is that a percentage of them stay that way as that were fat for a reason in the first place. I don't have anything against overweight players, it will work if you can get them to be disciplined in their eating, but they are a big risk. With Morgan, even if he doesn't get into the 280+ range, he still has the ability/technique to be a very good player at DE.

Herd fever - have a snickers. This is the same kind of negative shit we just had to shovel away from this site for 5 months during basketball season. It’s gonna be a looooong summer! Go Herd.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Torched us in 2016
Who didn’t? 2016 was an aberration. Living in the 757 i can tell you, ODU should really be referred to as OdU because they underperform so much on defense. And Bobby Wilder’s seat is getting warmer and warmer. Mainly because of recruiting and lackluster strength & conditioning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT