ADVERTISEMENT

Pulling the plug on cable

MUTHFAN

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2021
Moved into an older house that has outdated Cable wire, yet I am running a mesh system off a new wire from the street. So my internet is good, but cable television is not. I didn’t think it was worth it to run new cable wire in the house and cable tv is overpriced anyway so I dropped my TV package.

We’ve been getting by with Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+. That said I’ve come to the conclusion that I want some type of TV streaming for sports. Been considering AT&T TV or HULU TV. Didn’t know what you guys were watching at home and what you recommend.

If you still want sports, you need cable.

Only reason I've been wanting to cut the cord is severe malaise to the point of no longer caring about sports. However, I still have my cable just in case I somehow come back to life.

Last night I watched a few minutes of UK basketball tanking a game at LSU.

YTTV and FuboTV will have a lot of sports coverage. For Marshall games, I opted having Fubo, since there have been times when our games have been on every obscure channel out there and they have about every sports channel available.

Reactions: MUTHFAN
Went thru the same process not long ago. Went with YouTubeTV.

Tried Fubu for a couple of days...but wasn't happy with the picture quality, and it seemed the audio and video wasn't sync'd properly, but you get a ton of channels thru this service.

Also tried Sling...that's a good service. My antenna doesn't pick up the local CBS channel...and with Sling, local channels are thru your antenna. Fubu, Hulu and YouTubeTV provide local channels as part of their service.

One thing that's quirky with Sling; if you get both the orange and blue plans...you have to navigate each guide and there's a lot of channel overlap between the two. So, if you're channel surfing, you have to deal with duplication...But it wasn't bad, and, if I get a better antenna I may go with Sling due to price.

One advantage HuluTV offers is you can pkg with Disney and ESPN+ - the majority of Herd BB games are shown on ESPN+. We didn't go with Hulu because it didn't offer a couple channels the bride wanted.

Most of these services offer a free trial period...and I didn't have any issues cancelling any of them. So, you might want to try them out....just need to canx before the trial period ends.

IMO, YouTubeTV provided the best picture of all the services we tried although the difference is negligible. Most importantly, it had the channel line-up we wanted.

Reactions: MUTHFAN
I've been doing Sling. Agree with everything Chevy says about it, but I'm likely going to switch to Hulu Live since I already have regular Hulu, Disney, and ESPN package. Hate Netflix. I only keep it because my wife likes it. Amazon Prime is garbage. You have to pay for anything worth watching. HBO Max is well worth the money.

I've been doing Sling. Agree with everything Chevy says about it, but I'm likely going to switch to Hulu Live since I already have regular Hulu, Disney, and ESPN package. Hate Netflix. I only keep it because my wife likes it. Amazon Prime is garbage. You have to pay for anything worth watching. HBO Max is well worth the money.
Tried to bring-in Hulu live last month and found it a bit cumbersome. I lost access to ESPN through YouTubeTV due to a contract dispute with abc. Like you, I had the regular Hulu/ESPN+/Disney pkg and thought I would convert to hulu live.

Kept getting messages I had to change to Hulu for billing instead of Disney. Attempted to go online to make the change, but it was taking too much time to navigate; I was attempting to get ESPN up and running before the Herd's bowl game that was to be broadcast within an hour.

Anyway, went to Sling and was operational within minutes.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I recommend Hulu Live. Has everything you could want from a sports perspective except whatever MLB team is broadcasted in your area. You won’t get those games and they’ll be blacked-out even if you get the MLB package. There are ways around that but they involve a VPN masker.

@Chevy1 is correct about ESPN+ Being built into the Hulu Live guide. Makes it seamless to switch back and forth between the two services (because you don’t have to).

I have stayed on cable, I love its simplicity plus I package it with my internet service. I also do some streaming services. I have Apple TV on one, Roku stick on one and firestick on another. I like the functionality of the firestick over the others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT