ADVERTISEMENT

Question About Ticket Prices

Sep 18, 2010
I live in SC, have season tickets, but pay little attention to individual game tickets. However, I was told yesterday that the cheapest ticket was $30. I understand with our weak home schedule that Hamrick needs to cash in when he can and Homecoming presents a great opportunity. My concern though is that we are pricing out several families that simply cannot afford to take their entire family so they stay home. Don't take this as a complaint, but more as a discussion because I know these decisions are not taken lightly. With that said, with those prices, I don't believe we have a right to question our attendance. I am the believer that we should be doing everything possible to get fans into the stadium. I think that starts with a $10-$15 GA ticket in the upper endzone.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
And it was plain to see for any and all at the Joan on a beautiful sunny day - not a cloud in the sky with our team that had won four games going in against ODU the sell-out crowd we had. Terrible turnout for homecoming. I’m with you on this brando. People will say Herd games are a bargain. If it’s such a bargain where are the fans? Overpriced concessions. Oh well I still purchase season tickets and go regardless of price but many in Huntington can no longer afford to go.

I live in SC, have season tickets, but pay little attention to individual game tickets. However, I was told yesterday that the cheapest ticket was $30. I understand with our weak home schedule that Hamrick needs to cash in when he can and Homecoming presents a great opportunity. My concern though is that we are pricing out several families that simply cannot afford to take their entire family so they stay home. Don't take this as a complaint, but more as a discussion because I know these decisions are not taken lightly. With that said, with those prices, I don't believe we have a right to question our attendance. I am the believer that we should be doing everything possible to get fans into the stadium. I think that starts with a $10-$15 GA ticket in the upper endzone.
This issue happens at other places as well. I know at Ohio U they do this as well. They charge way more for Homecoming than other games. Many of the alumni feel the same. I guess if you only come to one game a year they feel you should be able to handle the price.I sat in a $100 seat yesterday but am glad I came. As far as locals on limited budgets buying a family pack at a discounted rate works for most people. Maybe some corporate sponsor might step up and buy block tickets and sell them at some location like Krogers for 10 dollars a pop and underwrite the difference.

There have been many missteps in seating over the last few years that have alienated some. Then you have declining population in the area. Tix prices are steep for some, especially young couples and families.
Consessions suck. Constant blaring shitty music. It all adds up to a poor game day atmosphere.
Hamrick intimated last year in a tweet that he didn't need the non season tix holders or non BG members. Which was an incredibly stupid statement.

He is getting his wish.

As a whole, sports attendance is down in general and has been for 3-4 years now.
We are far from the only school having this issue.

$45 is way too high unless we are playing a top 25 team.

The regular price is $35. I think if you knocked down to $30 you would have a lot more people in the seats.

IMO, they should give any Big Green member $5 off.

If we start selling out or getting near capacity you can raise prices.

Most students are friends with people coming in, either recent alumni or just attending another school. It's $20.00 for one of those tickets when accompanied by a student.
However, as high as it's perceived, it's still lower than someone like ohio state.
UK sells theirs for roughly $40.00 for the upper deck.
Does MU still do the 3 game packages? I recall that some said it was a good idea to do if you couldn't make all the home games.
Maybe MU could have student sponsoring local children or even families that want to go to the games but can't afford to (still trying to figure that out...you can afford your iPhone, drugs, clothes, and cigarettes but can't afford game tickets?) I for whatever reason...maybe fraternities and sororities could do that, which would be a good marketing tool as well as just showing MU cares about its people. Maybe even alumni could do it...start a program where you put some money in...maybe $10.00 or something, its all pooled together and given to families for tickets either straight up or at a discounted price with the amount underwritten.
Maybe even unused season tickets...for whatever reason, perhaps the ticket holder could contact MU and allow them to donate the tickets to a family for that day as a charitable donation.
I dunno, its a good discussion to have for sure.

Everyone wants a big time program, stadium/facility updates, new marketing & PR, better coaching, etc. No one wants to pay for it.

How about Marshall stamp "WIC approved" on the tickets? Maybe that will attract some widows and orphans.

Reactions: 19MU88
Everyone wants a big time program, stadium/facility updates, new marketing & PR, better coaching, etc. No one wants to pay for it.

How about Marshall stamp "WIC approved" on the tickets? Maybe that will attract some widows and orphans.

Everyone that posts here wants big time but I will say with confidence that 90% of the local( 50 mile radius) population doesn't care. Most of that 90 have no real interest in any sport unless they have family involved. I was at yesterday's game but frankly I debated coming until the last minute because there were a dozen things to do on a beautiful afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT