ADVERTISEMENT

Random partisan thoughts on poverty

So here is my partisan, conservative approach to reduce poverty, possibly by 90%, in the United States:

1. Finish high school.
2. Get a full-time job.
3. Wait until attaining age 21 before marrying AND having children.
That’s great advice. Especially the third bit. Free contraceptives and abortions would help a ton.
But teen-early 20 year olds are also really dumb and don’t take good advice or plan much for their future.

This sort of advice always kind of struck me as a tad disingenuous. And yeah, like I said, if you actually do it you’ll be way better off. But a lot of people already didn’t, so you’ve already got a problem. Advice that requires a time machine to function isn’t great advice.

It’s kind of like seeing someone who dug himself down into a pit and can’t get out, and saying “damn, you should’ve brought a ladder. I’ve got a ladder right here, my parents gave it to me. But you really shouldn’t have gone down there without a ladder. You’d be out of there in a jiff if you had a ladder. Well, bye then.”

This sort of advice always kind of struck me as a tad disingenuous. And yeah, like I said, if you actually do it you’ll be way better off. But a lot of people already didn’t, so you’ve already got a problem. Advice that requires a time machine to function isn’t great advice

That’s great advice.
huh-what.gif

You're a liar and idiot. phlegmwad
5. Don’t work for employers like Greed. You’ll be paid no benefits and most likely will end up needing to find other work when he decides he’s made enough $$ for himself, doesn’t want employees and let’s you go
Correction: Working for a woodshed business with a greedy as fvck owner always ends badly. He turns it into a tax evading hobby and you'll get stiffed.

Reactions: alphasig1053
It’s great advice to someone still young enough to take it. It’s worthless to everyone for whom it is already too late. So it’s not a solution.

This poverty thing is like the fake bird flu. Can't find any actual story of anyone who really doesn't have the basic stuff.

If I really had to, I could stay fat off of eating out of garbage cans.

5. Don’t work for employers like Greed. You’ll be paid no benefits and most likely will end up needing to find other work when he decides he’s made enough $$ for himself, doesn’t want employees and let’s you go
Correction: Working for a woodshed business with a greedy as fvck owner always ends badly. He turns it into a tax evading hobby and you'll get stiffed.
You're a liar and idiot. phlegmwad

This is, by the way, a good example of the difference I’ve noticed between the typical liberal and conservative mindsets in the US today. Liberals usually look at it through the lens of systemic issues, while conservatives usually look at it through the lens of personal choices. I pretty obviously fall on one side of that spectrum, but is that a fair statement?

Change 21 to 31 for having children

21 is still too young in modern society.

Same for marriage. At least 30

Yeah a 21 having kids (or getting married) is crazy. I don’t know about 31 but late 20s for sure.

Need to cut years out of school and have people with jobs, kids, etc. in their teens. This late 20s and 30s stuff is already life about over with.

That's the most bitter I could probably be is at how my good years got wasted on school and college. All those years to learn stuff I could have learned in half the time or less. Giant waste, and when you're that young you're too stupid to know you're blowing it badly and in a few years you'll be broken down and worthless as hell physically.

It’s great advice to someone still young enough to take it. It’s worthless to everyone for whom it is already too late. So it’s not a solution.
Two wise old sayings come to mind...

One is closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out, and...

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So, has the educational campaign of the last 40 years against drunk driving been successful?

"Since 1982, drunk driving fatalities on our nation's roadways have decreased 52%, while total traffic fatalities have declined 18%. Among persons under 21, drunk driving fatalities have decreased 83%."

Following your thought process the entire campaign is worthless to those already killed by drunk driving...

You liberals are fond of saying "if it only saves one life...". Here is an opportunity to walk the walk.

Like I’ve said it’s great advice to give. It’s just not, ultimately, a solution to just give good advice.

Like I’ve said it’s great advice to give. It’s just not, ultimately, a solution to just give good advice.
No, for it to be a solution someone needs to actually HEED that advice...

You are appearing obstinate when this is one of the cheapest strategies to combat poverty that I have ever run across. It's really not that hard yet your are trying to make it hard.

It’s worthless to everyone for whom it is already too late. So it’s not a solution.
The Covid vaccine is worthless to everyone for whom it is already too late (that have already died). So it's not a solution.

How does that play???

Let me dumb it down for you then...

It's really not that hard
Three basic concepts to prevent someone from possibly living a life of poverty...
1. Graduate high school.
2. Get a full-time job.
3. Wait until 21 before marrying and having kids.

What is so hard about those three basic concepts?
yet your are trying to make it hard.
The but, but, buts are an attempt to make it hard.

But some people don't graduate high school... Yes, and that it one of the three basic concepts that need to be applied in order for the poverty cycle to be broken.

But some people don't have a full-time job... Yes and those people need to try to find full-time employment in order for the poverty cycle to be broken.

But some people already have kids before 21... Yes and that makes it harder to break the cycle of poverty. Those following them need to wait until later to have children in order for the poverty cycle to be broken.

It's really not that difficult to grasp if only you can count to three...

Three basic concepts to prevent someone from possibly living a life of poverty...
1. Graduate high school.
2. Get a full-time job.
3. Wait until 21 before marrying and having kids.
You don't comprehend that you're parroting false information. The research of the study that your misinformation is coming from found that more poor people (appx 11.1%) followed all 3 of those principles than those that followed none of those principles (appx 9.2%) and the remaining poor people followed 1 or 2 of the principles (appx 80%). Those ^^^are the FACTS of that study, quite unlike the malarkey you're spewing.

So here is my partisan, conservative approach to reduce poverty, possibly by 90%, in the United States:

1. Finish high school.
2. Get a full-time job.
3. Wait until attaining age 21 before marrying AND having children.
Might want to add, "live someplace with jobs...decent jobs."

As someone that spends an above average amount of time driving around the middle of nowhere, I often wonder, "where in the hell do these people work?"

The Covid vaccine is worthless to everyone for whom it is already too late (that have already died). So it's not a solution.

How does that play???
Where’s the giant rolleyes gif.

There are a lot more people living in poverty than died from Covid. The difference is, those people are still alive, so there’s value in trying to help them. Dead people are dead, so unless we’re getting into necromancy…

As someone that spends an above average amount of time driving around the middle of nowhere, I often wonder, "where in the hell do these people work?"

I have often wondered the same as well as what keeps them there.

There are a lot more people living in poverty than died from Covid. The difference is, those people are still alive, so there’s value in trying to help them.
Whoosh!!!

And wasn't that indeed the purpose of what was originally posted in this thread???

All I got from yours was a weak attempt to justify an even weaker strawman argument...

Poverty is a principal cause of death in the US. Please reconcile that to your Covid argument.

Even better, please explain the Covid deaths associated with poverty

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT