ADVERTISEMENT

Reason #3 Why Marshall FB Rebounds from Last Season

JudgeDD

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2010
On the Line

No position was as devastated by injury as last season's offensive line. The two most veteran leaders (Selby and Van Horn) were sidelined early. The starting guards both had back surgery the previous winter (Dowrey's pretty extensive) and didn't get a full off-season of strength and conditioning. Still, looking back at the tape, there were times when the OL did a pretty good job. Despite Dowrey and Devers off-season issues, and starting a redshit freshman center, the interior was fairly stable. There was more inconsistency in the tackle play. But we all know that, more than any other position, the OL gets graded as a group, and their unit grade was often sub-par. So what do we have to look forward to this season?

First, Brown did an excellent job last season in his first year starting. But center is a cerebral position, and there is no doubt that he is better prepared to handle things with a season under his belt. And speaking of his belt - it's gotten bigger. Brown's increased size and strength, along with his valuable experience last year, will pay huge dividends this season. Dowrey and Devers are as healthy as they've been since they've been at Marshall. Dowrey can finally handle some real weight on his shoulders and is stronger than ever. Devers is a strength freak and with last year's experience is ready to see that power transition to the field. I feel very strongly that the interior of the OL is going to be a strength of this team.

As far as tackle goes, there is reason to be hopeful. Jean-Felix has always shown flashes of greatness and so far this camp he is playing with much more consistency. I think this is his year. RT is still a question for me. Not because I don't believe in Adams; he has won the job up to this point. But I just haven't seen enough of him to have strong opinion on his play. I do feel that he will be pushed by both Locklear and Addison, and I wouldn't be too surprised if those three players all got a shot somewhere along the way.

The first thing to accept is that OL play last season was not as bad as many on this board have made out. Not that there weren't problems. But the OL is easy to blame for all the offensive ills, and unless you know what you're looking at, it's easy to misplace that blame. Next, the value of a healthy off-season cannot be overstated. Overall, there were four or five OL who had some back procedure before last season. But this off-season has been very productive for the line and, crossed-fingers, we go into this season strong and healthy. Lastly, with the exception of RT, this OL comes into this season with experience. Jean-Felix saw sporadic play over his first few seasons, but started all last season. Brown started the entire season at center, Devers started most of last season at guard. Dowrey has started all but one game over the past two seasons. If we can get some consistency from the RT, then this OL is not just going to be improved, but they lead a more productive offense.

Marshall's offensive line is yet another reason why I think Marshall Football will rebound from last season.

On the Line

No position was as devastated by injury as last season's offensive line. The two most veteran leaders (Selby and Van Horn) were sidelined early. The starting guards both had back surgery the previous winter (Dowrey's pretty extensive) and didn't get a full off-season of strength and conditioning. Still, looking back at the tape, there were times when the OL did a pretty good job. Despite Dowrey and Devers off-season issues, and starting a redshit freshman center, the interior was fairly stable. There was more inconsistency in the tackle play. But we all know that, more than any other position, the OL gets graded as a group, and their unit grade was often sub-par. So what do we have to look forward to this season?

First, Brown did an excellent job last season in his first year starting. But center is a cerebral position, and there is no doubt that he is better prepared to handle things with a season under his belt. And speaking of his belt - it's gotten bigger. Brown's increased size and strength, along with his valuable experience last year, will pay huge dividends this season. Dowrey and Devers are as healthy as they've been since they've been at Marshall. Dowrey can finally handle some real weight on his shoulders and is stronger than ever. Devers is a strength freak and with last year's experience is ready to see that power transition to the field. I feel very strongly that the interior of the OL is going to be a strength of this team.

As far as tackle goes, there is reason to be hopeful. Jean-Felix has always shown flashes of greatness and so far this camp he is playing with much more consistency. I think this is his year. RT is still a question for me. Not because I don't believe in Adams; he has won the job up to this point. But I just haven't seen enough of him to have strong opinion on his play. I do feel that he will be pushed by both Locklear and Addison, and I wouldn't be too surprised if those three players all got a shot somewhere along the way.

The first thing to accept is that OL play last season was not as bad as many on this board have made out. Not that there weren't problems. But the OL is easy to blame for all the offensive ills, and unless you know what you're looking at, it's easy to misplace that blame. Next, the value of a healthy off-season cannot be overstated. Overall, there were four or five OL who had some back procedure before last season. But this off-season has been very productive for the line and, crossed-fingers, we go into this season strong and healthy. Lastly, with the exception of RT, this OL comes into this season with experience. Jean-Felix saw sporadic play over his first few seasons, but started all last season. Brown started the entire season at center, Devers started most of last season at guard. Dowrey has started all but one game over the past two seasons. If we can get some consistency from the RT, then this OL is not just going to be improved, but they lead a more productive offense.

Marshall's offensive line is yet another reason why I think Marshall Football will rebound from last season.
If they play to their potential this could be a really good season. What do the 2's look like? Are they solid?

If they play to their potential this could be a really good season. What do the 2's look like? Are they solid?

I don't know how solid the 2's are because they're so young. With the exception of AJ Addison there is zero PT in the group.

Exactly, what the depth chart for the second team guys?

From what I figure it goes like this from left to right:
AJ Addison
Cain Madden
Alex Mollette
Alex Salguero
Alex Locklear

We know AJ can contribute, and I hear good things about Locklear. Madden has been a pleasant surprise for a walk-on. But again, besides Addison there is really no experience. We do have the market cornered on OL named Alex (not to mention our OL Coach).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT