ADVERTISEMENT

RIVALS Recruiter of the Year: Charles Huff

Is it really that hard (especially the last 5-10 years ago) to convince players to come to Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State, etc.? Now we hope to see these "types" of players committing to MU......but that will definitely be a much, much, much harder thing to do and I hope that he and his staff can do it!!! We even have issues getting the tri-state area students to enroll here.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Is it really that hard (especially the last 5-10 years ago) to convince players to come to Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State, etc.? Now we hope to see these "types" of players committing to MU......but that will definitely be a much, much, much harder thing to do and I hope that he and his staff can do it!!! We even have issues getting the tri-state area students to enroll here.
It is all relative. You still have to get guys that are good enough to beat the other elites and Alabama has done it year after year. Schools like that can slip. Alabama has been through lean years before(Shula, etc.). Alabama has to do it against SEC schols, Clemson, Ohio State. Marshall has to do it against CUSA schools.

Last edited:
No, it is not hard to convince them to go to one of those schools. It takes a gift to get them to Alabama over Ohio State or Clemson. I think Huff has a system in place that will allow us to get some of the guys who could play at elite schools but maybe slipped through the cracks. Hopefully he can convince a kid to play at Marshall and not at peer schools .Time will tell I guess

It sounds like he has a great recruiting reputation. I am going with that until proven otherwise. One thing that makes me confident is that he retained almost everyone on the team so far (I know they could still bail out).

I am most interested in his ability to take what we have on campus and make them better.

Can’t wait to see what we put on the field in September.

Reactions: Always The Herd
Transfers have been limited, but keep in mind that due to the NCAA granting extra eligibility to every player, open spots in FBS are at a premium right now.

People need to reserve judgment on Huff, temper your expectations so you don't feel betrayed when it turns out he's not SuperCoach 9000.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a strong gust of wind I need to go piss into.

Transfers have been limited, but keep in mind that due to the NCAA granting extra eligibility to every player, open spots in FBS are at a premium right now.

People need to reserve judgment on Huff, temper your expectations so you don't feel betrayed when it turns out he's not SuperCoach 9000.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a strong gust of wind I need to go piss into.

I've been trying to do this myself... I was on record saying it was time for a coaching change, I supported hiring Coach Huff and I am confident in his abilities. That said, once the games start we all need to judge his ability based on the product on the field.

No, it is not hard to convince them to go to one of those schools. It takes a gift to get them to Alabama over Ohio State or Clemson. I think Huff has a system in place that will allow us to get some of the guys who could play at elite schools but maybe slipped through the cracks. Hopefully he can convince a kid to play at Marshall and not at peer schools .Time will tell I guess

As @i am herdman said it's all relative. Is it hard to get 5-stars to go to the top schools? No. However the challenge is getting the best of the best recruits to go to Bama over tOSU or Clemson or Oklahoma. They still have to recruit a QB at Bama that's better than the QB at tOSU or Notre Dame.

Looking at the difficulty to land 4-stars at Marshall vs Bama is the wrong way to look at it. Of course it's harder to land a Bama caliber player at Marshall. That's not the issue. The issue isn't can Coach Huff recruit at Marshall the same as he did Bama. The question is can he out recruit the G5 at Marshall like he did the P5 at Bama.

His recruiting helped Bama make tOSU and Notre Dame look like second rate programs. Can Huff recruit Marshall to the level where we make Boise and UCF look that way. That will be the test of how well he can recruit. He got the 5-stars at Bama that were better than the 5-stars at Notre Dame. Can he get the 3-stars at Marshall that are better than the 3-stars at Cincy? If he can also bring in the 4-star players that will just put us further over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT