ADVERTISEMENT

Rednecks of the board…

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
…you’d be proud of me. I have some friends who are into drag racing. So our families rented a house in Johnson City last weekend and went to the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals in Bristol. I‘ve been to an Indy 500, but I’ve never really followed NASCAR or drag racing. But I like collecting new experiences and went into it with an open mind. I thought…this is cool as some of the lesser divisions went off.

Then came funny car and top fuel division. As jaded as I am to stuff anymore, I’ll have to say this took my by surprise. I was on the fence probably 30 yard from the start. The sound, vibration in my body, and the smell I wasn’t counting on. Dang. These cars were hitting 320 + mph in 1000 feet. It felt like I was beside a space shuttle launch.

Fun time. Even if I had to be in Tennessee to experience it. lol

…you’d be proud of me. I have some friends who are into drag racing. So our families rented a house in Johnson City last weekend and went to the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals in Bristol. I‘ve been to an Indy 500, but I’ve never really followed NASCAR or drag racing. But I like collecting new experiences and went into it with an open mind. I thought…this is cool as some of the lesser divisions went off.

Then came funny car and top fuel division. As jaded as I am to stuff anymore, I’ll have to say this took my by surprise. I was on the fence probably 30 yard from the start. The sound, vibration in my body, and the smell I wasn’t counting on. Dang. These cars were hitting 320 + mph in 1000 feet. It felt like I was beside a space shuttle launch.

Fun time. Even if I had to be in Tennessee to experience it. lol
Haven't been for years, but nothing like a funny car or Top fuel start. They will rattle your head.

Reactions: GK4Herd and KyMUfan
Not to involve rifle, but I still struggle to understand a hole shot victory in drag racing. I think I get it…but I really don’t get it.

when you run slower elapsed time but win because you get off the starting line faster. They combine the elapsed time to the reaction time , quickest total wins.

Yeah…I looked it up. But wouldn’t that still be the first guy to cross the line? The timer doesn’t start till the car clears the starting area. They measure top fuel at 1000 feet. So if you’re adding the hole time(reaction time) to the elapsed time…isn’t it still the guy crossing the line first?

Yeah…I looked it up. But wouldn’t that still be the first guy to cross the line? The timer doesn’t start till the car clears the starting area. They measure top fuel at 1000 feet. So if you’re adding the hole time(reaction time) to the elapsed time…isn’t it still the guy crossing the line first?
Found this explanation, so my quickest total wasn't really correct

The winner is ALWAYS the one who crosses the line first. Often of course the cars are so close together at the finish then it's not possible to see which car crossed first so the computer shows the results. The reason it's called a holeshot is because the winner's Elapsed Time was slower but because he (or she) reacted faster at the start they beat the other car. The confusion is that the Elapsed Time doesn't matter in the race, it's who crosses the line first. A winner with a slower ET just means they got a holeshot by running slower but winning by reacting faster. So a driver with a slower car but quicker reactions can still win - with a holeshot! You may be 1 second quicker up the strip but if I leave 2 seconds before you I'm gonna win by a second!

Reactions: GK4Herd
Found this explanation, so my quickest total wasn't really correct

The winner is ALWAYS the one who crosses the line first. Often of course the cars are so close together at the finish then it's not possible to see which car crossed first so the computer shows the results. The reason it's called a holeshot is because the winner's Elapsed Time was slower but because he (or she) reacted faster at the start they beat the other car. The confusion is that the Elapsed Time doesn't matter in the race, it's who crosses the line first. A winner with a slower ET just means they got a holeshot by running slower but winning by reacting faster. So a driver with a slower car but quicker reactions can still win - with a holeshot! You may be 1 second quicker up the strip but if I leave 2 seconds before you I'm gonna win by a second!
This exactly. What good is a driver if they don’t count the reaction time. The fastest car has the advantage but the driver reaction out of the hole is the equalizer.

“Declinin’ numbers at an even rate. At the count of 1 we both accelerate”. - “Shutdown / Beach Boys 1964

Reactions: GK4Herd
“Declinin’ numbers at an even rate. At the count of 1 we both accelerate”. - “Shutdown / Beach Boys 1964
Well, this car is automatic, it's systematic, it's hydromatic
Why it's Greased Lightning!
We'll get some overhead lifters and four barrel quads, oh yeah
(Keep talking, woah, keep talking)

-John Travolta

Reactions: GreenDuke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT