ADVERTISEMENT

Rice Questions

HerdFan1971

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2010
Charleston, WV
I noticed this morning that Marshall is a 10.5 point favorite in Saturday's match-up.

Has anyone followed Rice (other than the 0-8 record) enough to understand this seemingly large spread?

{Rice lost to (now) #12 Baylor by one score and took LA Tech to OT early in the season}

Have they had some key injuries? Just curious because I know nothing about that team and hope that the Herd doesn't sleep walk into Houston Saturday and come out with an L.

Appreciate any insight.

Reactions: kdbherdon
At risk of sounding like Doc, they are much better than their record "early" in games. I've seen four of their games, sound QB play, decent offensive line, very good Defensive Line, less talented in the defensive backfield; which helps opponents later in the games. Running back is far above average.

I see this being a surprisingly good game for even perhaps 3 quarters unless we hit some long passes early. Our defensive front seven must be good early; they will throw surprises at us.

In the end, we should win by 10 to 14 points as the season has taken a bit of a toll on them.

Reactions: HerdFan1971
I have seen parts of about every game they have played. To be honest, I was truly surprised with that line. I believe they are far better this year than last and exactly as you said, they have been in some good games with good teams.
That and the fact that we NEVER play well in Texas would not allow me to give them 10 points.

At risk of sounding like Doc, they are much better than their record "early" in games. I've seen four of their games, sound QB play, decent offensive line, very good Defensive Line, less talented in the defensive backfield; which helps opponents later in the games. Running back is far above average.

I see this being a surprisingly good game for even perhaps 3 quarters unless we hit some long passes early. Our defensive front seven must be good early; they will throw surprises at us.

In the end, we should win by 10 to 14 points as the season has taken a bit of a toll on them.

Thats actually what he said and he's right.
Rice doesn't get blown out very often unless 15 pts is a blowout.
Four of their games have been 8 pts or less.

The USM game was a one score game until a very late TD. Rice is much better at home than on the road also.

They’re 0-8 in a bad conference including losses against a bad Army team and an awful UTSA team.

Even the fans are using coach-talk now?

You don't sound like Doc. You didn't say "Tremendous" or "No question" in your post.

In last weeks game, USM got to the QB 8 times......something tells me we might be able to put pressure on that position, if we can shut down the run game....

I have seen parts of about every game they have played. To be honest, I was truly surprised with that line. I believe they are far better this year than last and exactly as you said, they have been in some good games with good teams.
That and the fact that we NEVER play well in Texas would not allow me to give them 10 points.

I wondered how many posts it would take before the 'Texas curse' was brought up.

Then again, maybe there's some truth to it because isn't MU something like 1-11 or 1-12 in games played in Texas?

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT