ADVERTISEMENT

***SATURDAY'S GAME IS A BLACKOUT***

I'm wearing green, and I'm making noise on third downs, and I'm doing the silly hand thing on first down.

I'm not mourning shit. Those ashes are 50 years old now, and we need to put them back in the urn where they belong and leave them there. I'm going to celebrate what we have now, not what we lost then.

When you watch the movie and McConaughey says "The funerals end today!" and you feel all pumped up? That was 1971.

I personally know at least 75 people who have been born and died since the plane crash. Tragedy is everywhere, especially in these times, and we've spent plenty of time in the last 50 years mourning this one.

Let's take a minute for J.T. Rembert. Let's take a minute for Larry Aaron. Let's take a minute for Devon Johnson.

Last edited:
I'm wearing green, and I'm making noise on third downs, and I'm doing the silly hand thing on first down.

I'm not mourning shit. Those ashes are 50 years old now, and we need to put them back in the urn where they belong and leave them there. I'm going to celebrate what we have now, not what we lost then.

When you watch the movie and McConaughey says "The funerals end today!" and you feel all pumped up? That was 1971.

I personally know at least 75 people who have been born and died since the plane crash. Tragedy is everywhere, especially in these times, and we've spent plenty of time in the last 50 years mourning this one.

Let's take a minute for J.T. Rembert. Let's take a minute for Larry Aaron. Let's take a minute for Devon Johnson.
I’m interested to see how this take is received. I’m going to guess not well.

I didn't take offense. In many ways we have moved on, of course. 50 years is a hell of a long time to remember, but we still mark December 7th, June 6th, July 4th, November 11th etc. It's hard to get pissed about the comment, as everyone has their own perspective. Now, if another school's fans made that comment? Different story.

Reactions: herdalicious
For the record, I don't mean any disrespect to the folks who died in the crash, or their families. I've read a lot and learned a lot about them, and just how awful that experience was for them.

It is a personal belief of mine that the greatest disservice you can do to someone you've lost, as well as yourself, is to not let them go. Mourning is intended to be a process that you go through in grief that gets you to the other side - the "glory" in the "Ashes to" equation.

When the aggrieved can't let go, its sad. When an unaffected third party, or abstract collection of unaffected third parties (like a fanbase) does the same for purposes of adding context to something as frivolous as a football game? I feel like that borders on inappropriate.

I'm not saying ignore the anniversary, I'm just saying let's focus on the "glory" part. That serves as the best tribute anyway, I think.

For the record, I don't mean any disrespect to the folks who died in the crash, or their families. I've read a lot and learned a lot about them, and just how awful that experience was for them.

It is a personal belief of mine that the greatest disservice you can do to someone you've lost, as well as yourself, is to not let them go. Mourning is intended to be a process that you go through in grief that gets you to the other side - the "glory" in the "Ashes to" equation.

When the aggrieved can't let go, its sad. When an unaffected third party, or abstract collection of unaffected third parties (like a fanbase) does the same for purposes of adding context to something as frivolous as a football game? I feel like that borders on inappropriate.

I'm not saying ignore the anniversary, I'm just saying let's focus on the "glory" part. That serves as the best tribute anyway, I think.
Thank you once again. One more post, and I think you'll have every thing I was thinking totally covered.

Is Grant going to wear the #75 jersey? If so I think that is a special thing every year for the game. Also see we got new Black Jerseys. So ready for Saturday!

The "glory" part is the team being on the field.

The story is literally told during the game...from the crash to what is being seen on the field.

It’s a little blunt, but I don’t disagree with the sentiment.

My personal opinion is that everyone’s heart is in the right place, but we tend to unintentionally use the crash as a mascot of sorts. I think we “celebrate” the anniversary A bit too much. And I don’t mean celebrate in a jovial, everyone is happy about it kind of way. Obviously that’s not the case. I just don’t think it always is the right vibe, is all.

Reactions: herdalicious
It’s a little blunt, but I don’t disagree with the sentiment.

My personal opinion is that everyone’s heart is in the right place, but we tend to unintentionally use the crash as a mascot of sorts. I think we “celebrate” the anniversary A bit too much. And I don’t mean celebrate in a jovial, everyone is happy about it kind of way. Obviously that’s not the case. I just don’t think it always is the right vibe, is all.
Obviously people my age that lost friends on that plane look at it differently than those that didn't live through it

Obviously people my age that lost friends on that plane look at it differently than those that didn't live through it

I don’t disagree. It’s hard to verbalize my feelings on the thing. I just feel like at times it’s less about a tribute, and more about motivation. And that trivializes the loss, in my humble opinion. And that’s just my feeling In General, not necessarily in regards to the 50th anniversary activities.

I was one of the student athletic trainers on the 1970 team and my job on November 14 was to have the training room open (at that time in Gullickson Hall) to assist in treating any injured players or provide therapies but we all know they never returned. For me personally I will never forget that those players - many classmates of mine, and coaches paid the ultimate sacrifice losing their lives. I see the ceremony as what it is - a time of reflection and remembrance. Everyone has the right to feel what they want but for me this was personal and will remain with me until the day I pass from this earth.

Last edited:
Uniforms are for the players. If it excites them, I say it is fine. Too much ado is made on here sometimes.
People objecting to uniforms are part of the reason why the gap between old and new MU fans continues to widen.
Seriously, who cares what color MU wears?! They invited the fans to be a part of the team for 1 game a year to do this, and many engage in it.

Amen to that! I was there at the time and lost friends and fellow baseball teammates that were on the football team. I’ll never forget November 14 and will always pause during the day to remember The 75!
......As will we all, 228! If you were alive at the time (you knowing several of them as contemporaries, me a 11 y.o. kid watching TV) , it’s like Kennedy, Apollo 11, Challenger & 9/11 - you remember where you were when you heard the news. I believe it’s much more difficult for young folks who only know the story from the movie or a newspaper article. We remember as long as we are alive, & hope in 50 years the memory will have been important enough to survive. Tomorrow is extremely important. Look forward to watching the ceremony....
WS

Reactions: Herdmeister
I was one of the student athletic trainers on the 1970 team and my job on November 14 was to have the training room open (at that time in Gullickson Hall) to assist in treating any injured players or provide therapies but we all know they never returned. For me personally I will never forget that those players - many classmates of mine, and coaches paid the ultimate sacrifice losing their lives. I see the ceremony as what it is - a time of reflection and remembrance. Everyone has the right to feel what they want but for me this was personal and will remain with me until the day I pass from this earth.
A guy that retired from Marshall in 2004 or 2005 (facilities?) was roommates with one of the players that died in the crash, he said the thing he will never forget is seeing faces of the parents in the dorm picking up the belongings of their deceased sons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT