ADVERTISEMENT

Saying goodbye to a Marshall Alum

Jan 7, 2008
Jim Gilbert played QB for Marshall in the 60s. He still lived in Huntington when the plane crashed and lost a lot of good friends that night. One of those friends was Coach Al Carelli.

Jim provided a lot of emotional support to Al's widow, and they eventually married. Jim raised Al's two boys as his own and couldn't have loved them more.

Jim passed away this weekend, and I thought some on this board might remember him.

He was one of the good guys.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/OBIT/20161004/james-gilbert

Jim Gilbert played QB for Marshall in the 60s. He still lived in Huntington when the plane crashed and lost a lot of good friends that night. One of those friends was Coach Al Carelli.

Jim provided a lot of emotional support to Al's widow, and they eventually married. Jim raised Al's two boys as his own and couldn't have loved them more.

Jim passed away this weekend, and I thought some on this board might remember him.

Jim played for coach flanagan at magnolia. He was an assistant. Flanagan later was superintentent of tyler county. I was god friends with jackson flanagan while living in sistersville. I saw alot of pics from that 64 team

So sad to HERD this terrible news.

I first met Jim, November 21, 1964 (one day after my 17th birthday), when our Mighty-- Mt. Hope Mustangs played New Martinsville's Magnolia in freezing weather in Parkersburg for the AA Football Championship. Jim was the QB for them. We scored early on a fumble recover to go ahead 7-0. Jim led their comeback to claim the WV-AA title...15-7. We were united at Marshall where we became great friends. My prayers go out to wife, Brenda & children and grand kids. Sadly, time passes and you lose touch with college friends. I did not realize that Jim was living in Summersville, WV.

RIP my friend.

Gary Sweeney (HerdZilla22 in Charlotte)

Last edited:
Jim was one of the Deacon's at my Dad's church - Calvin Chapel, which is a small church on the side of the road between Summersville and Craigsville. I first met Jim when I was in my early 20's (around 21 or 22, i think, am turning 34 this year) when Calvin Chapel asked my dad to become their pastor.

Dad went up to the hospice he was at up in Pittsburgh, the day before he passed, and gave him communion and spent time praying with him. We would joke with him a lot during football season (especially when WVU was playing MU, dad and I are huge WVU fans), but it was all in good fun. Every year during the church picnic, we would often have 2 radios going, 1 with the MU game, and one with WVU, during the picnic itself. Usually whoever was winning was who we would finish listening to while playing horseshoes and cornhole.

He was a great man, and is missed a lot.

Reactions: Elkview
Jim played for coach flanagan at magnolia. He was an assistant. Flanagan later was superintentent of tyler county. I was god friends with jackson flanagan while living in sistersville. I saw alot of pics from that 64 team
Actually, Flanagan was the head coach at Magnolia the year Jim was the starting QB on the state championship team that beat Zilla's Mt Hope Mustangs. Jim live a couple blocks from me in NM and was, a great guy. I'm also very good friends today with his brother. He will be missed for sure. If any are interested, in leu of flowers he had requested a contribution to the Gideon's at www.gideons.org.

I spent alot of times at the flanagans and that state championship picture was right over the fireplace. Mr. jackson down played his role. That is so cool he was th head coacg. His son jackson came to ky and stayed with me around 1979. He also went to hot rod hundley camp with me and gary skaggs, ricky's brother. Jasckon is a dr now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT