ADVERTISEMENT

ECU Game - Marshall Fan hospitality gaining fans

Nov 16, 2012
Hey HerdNation. Wanted to take a quick second to thank you for your hospitality towards ECU Fans that made the trip up for the game. I am a Marshall Alum living in Greenville. A co-worker and her family (Huge ECU Fans) came up for the game. They said they had such a great time, met a ton of Marshall fans, the President, and many people who in one way or another were associated with the plane crash. They were treated so well by everyone. They were so impressed and thankful for such a great atmosphere and hospitality. They loved it. My co-worker commented to me that Marshall is now their second favorite team and they will be following them and rooting for them. This game was painful for us to lose for multiple reasons, but the fact we were able to show such graciousness and welcome to just one group of ECU fans is one of the things that makes us who we are. So thank you guys. When just a few of us treat people well, we all get the credit. Hoping we can turn things around from these last two games and get this thing rolling.

App State could take a lesson. They were awful. Must be a mountaineer thing.

App State could take a lesson. They were awful. Must be a mountaineer thing.
It was strange for me. I never had a single ASU fan acknowledge me in any way. Not even a nod of the head or hello. We did have one female student walk by on the way to the car and shout out F Marshall.
It looked like to me all the problems came from the students

I was fortunate enough to have a friend with club seats in the north end zone (which was awesome by the way). In that section there were not students and you have to spend some major dollars to sit there. There was a guy behind me that didn’t stop yelling at me from the 2nd quarter on. “Marshall is garbage, you are garbage, etc”. The guy would not shut up.

Out of respect for my friend I was wearing a black MU jacket and hat. I didn’t cheer or boo the whole game. Just wanted to enjoy the game.

I fully expected this guy’s friends to tell him to shut up or calm down but nothing. When I went to Tennessee and experienced something like that, the whole section let the guy have it and shut him down.

Like you, no other App fans at the game even acknowledged my existence. It was strange. In fairness, one fan after the game on the walk back to the car did tell me to have a safe trip back and good game.

Thanks for sharing, @marshallmaniac2013.

It's such a simple thing, in passing on the way to the stadium, to say, "Good luck today," or "Welcome to Marshall." I first witnessed just that when I first attended a game with my son, Jordan, in 2013 when he was just another recruit. It was not something that I'd seen in any of my previous visits in the recruiting process with either of my sons. I was so impressed that I started echoing those words of welcome whenever I passed an opposing fan, and continue to do that whenever I can make a game. Simple hospitality is a good thing to be known for; a nice reputation to have. Certainly better than the one App State seems to be building. Keep it up, Marshall faithful. This makes me proud to be a part of this fan base.

Who cares if a stranger says “good luck” or “safe travels”
*** Obviously a lot of MU fans.

I agree, I don't need that or care if it happens, the only thing I care about is not being treated poorly by belligerent fans. That said....Appy had older fans that many of them went out of their way to be welcoming, nice touch but I don't need it. They also had more than their share of belligerent fans to the point I could only compare it to Morgantown.....Morgantown light if you will.

You can’t control anything that happens on the field. You can’t control the tact of your fellow fans. But you can be responsible for a simple good game or good luck. I’ve never gone chasing after someone to say it but if we’re passing one another and they appear pleasant, it’s not hard to just say it in passing.

A simple “have a safe trip home” really leaves a good impression. And that’s what you can control.

Silence has never bothered me, either, and I’m not sure I want 20,000 people stampeding toward me to welcome me, lol. But a brief acknowledgement is so easy and of absolutely no required extra effort.

The fans have little to nothing to do with the outcome of a game. Maybe cause a false start or burning a time out, but that’s about it. If you win, enjoy it, but understand the other fan base didn’t lose, the team they cheer for did.

People that heckle opposing fans after a loss simply lack empathy and have an inability to feel joy. I don’t have any desire to heckle after a win. I’m too busy enjoying the victory.

My experience was totally different. I sat in section 110, and found the App fans around me to be very friendly and respectful. When I went to the restroom, stood in the beer line, or walked around the concourse, they had nothing but praise for Marshall, how much they missed playing us each year, and how we needed to make this an annual game. Now I did get a few F-bombs hurled my way while walking to my car, but I've heard much worse as an Atlanta Falcons season ticket holder when I wear my Carolina Panthers jersey once a year.

Who cares if a stranger says “good luck” or “safe travels”
*** Obviously a lot of MU fans.
I guess I must be older than you. Back in the 50's my mom taught me to be respectful to others and wish them well. It is a lesson that I haven't forgotten. Yes, I welcome all the visiting fans I see at the Joan or Cam. I thank them for coming and spending money in my community and I wish them safe travels home. It's common courtesy... I guess in your eyes I am weird

I guess I must be older than you. Back in the 50's my mom taught me to be respectful to others and wish them well. It is a lesson that I haven't forgotten. Yes, I welcome all the visiting fans I see at the Joan or Cam. I thank them for coming and spending money in my community and I wish them safe travels home. It's common courtesy... I guess in your eyes I am weird
Duke takes his cues from Mountaineer fans - 1st cousin wvu & step brother App State. Assholes for the most part….

It's just common public courtesy. No different than if you are out and about in your regular day and you pass a stranger on the sidewalk. A simple nod or a "how you doin'" is just being polite. Nothing over the top is necessary. Even if you don't say anything at all, but acting like a prick because of the result of a sporting event just shows that you're a loser and a miserable human being who want others to be miserable too.

I've heard many WVU fans tell me they want everyone that comes into Morgantown to hate it because they want them to be intimidated. They want to be the team extended. Just goes to show you that their fans are trash. I interviewed for a job a few years back. One of the interviewers was going over my resume and as soon as he seen I was a Marshall grad he heckled me the entire interview. I don't mean small talk ribbing either. This was typical uspam hate. I couldn't believe how unprofessional the guy was. I won't say where the job was, but it wasn't the type of job you'd expect that from.

Some fan bases are just pure trash.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT