ADVERTISEMENT

ECU Game in 2025 here cancelled.

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
ECU made the announcement today and has replaced us with Campbell. Some ECU fans are wondering if Marshall asked to cancel which makes no sense. To me this is sad considering the history between us and I personally would like to see us play each year. JMO

ECU made the announcement today and has replaced us with Campbell. Some ECU fans are wondering if Marshall asked to cancel which makes no sense. To me this is sad considering the history between us and I personally would like to see us play each year. JMO
Saves them some travel $$ and gives them an easier win potential.

Herd already has enough openings on its future schedules in the next 5 to 6 years as it is. Was hoping to hear that AD Spears had FILLED some of them with some quality and well known opponents. Instead, we'll probably see the likes of a Gardner Webb or so filling such slots going forward. Reminds of when Kayo, IIRC, had a chance to get a game or games in Huntington with the likes of Miami (the real one), Tennessee, etc., but couldn't close the deal.

If Marshall cancelled this game two years away why? This is a game most Herd fans want simply due to the history between us. If this is the case then we will see what “connections” AD Spears has. Maybe get that game with Pitt back in Huntington.

We wouldn’t cancel a home game that is the last game of the contract unless we had something better. Well, unless we’re just stupid.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I don't know if it is correct, but I saw on a Facebook post by a well connected supporter that our AD is the one who cancelled this game. He, of course, could be 100% wrong.But if it is so, I'm betting Spears has something else he's working on that made this a necessity to accomplish.

I don't know if it is correct, but I saw on a Facebook post by a well connected supporter that our AD is the one who cancelled this game. He, of course, could be 100% wrong.But if it is so, I'm betting Spears has something else he's working on that made this a necessity to accomplish.
link?

Probably someone with some history. Maybe a home and home with furman or wofford

Why would we cancel the last game of a series on our home field against a known rival?

All we have lined up for 2025 is --

Army - Home
Middle Tennessee - Away

My guess is, Spears has a "big" name he is going to unveil (a P5 team) and the final spot will go to an FCS team at home.

It appears that ECU might have cancelled the game since they announced the change and that they have picked up a game Campbell to replace the MU game at the same time. ECU also dropped the Boise series. I am hearing from ECU fans, I used to live in Wilmington NC that it was either a mutual decision or ECU wanted out of the final game. I think it was ECU that wanted to cancel the game.

"In addition to canceling the Boise State series, ECU has also added an FCS game against Campbell for the 2025 season. The Pirates will now open that year at NC State, host Campbell, and welcome BYU to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium on Sept. 20. The game at Marshall, scheduled for that season, has been canceled. The Thundering Herd's trip to Greenville for the 2020 season, which was canceled due to COVID, will also not be made up."

I would guess there is no payout since the 2020 game offsets the 2025 game. It tuns the series into a one for one instead of a two for two series.

Last edited:
It appears that ECU might have cancelled the game since they announced the change and that they have picked up a game Campbell to replace the MU game at the same time. ECU also dropped the Boise series. I am hearing from ECU fans, I used to live in Wilmington NC that it was either a mutual decision or ECU wanted out of the final game. I think it was ECU that wanted to cancel the game.

"In addition to canceling the Boise State series, ECU has also added an FCS game against Campbell for the 2025 season. The Pirates will now open that year at NC State, host Campbell, and welcome BYU to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium on Sept. 20. The game at Marshall, scheduled for that season, has been canceled. The Thundering Herd's trip to Greenville for the 2020 season, which was canceled due to COVID, will also not be made up."

I would guess there is no payout since the 2020 game offsets the 2025 game. It tuns the series into a one for one instead of a two for two series.
Yep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT