ADVERTISEMENT

SBC Bound

MU is apparently just saying “we quit, sue us”. PR says that we communicated our desire to leave in early December and asked for a negotiation about an enhanced exit fee, to which CUSA simply refused to talk at all.

Gets really thick in the legal woods, as MU is the state and the state is generally immune to suits about contracts, who knows.

Any word from Norfolk or Hattiesburg?

Reactions: putnam green
Good news indeed... The SBC has to have its conference football schedule done by March 1, so we will get the new slate around that time.

I would assume our home game with App will stay as scheduled and just become a league game. Marshall will have to add a non conference game another weekend.

Reactions: herd66
ODU and Southern Miss each released statements at 3 p.m. as well... Sound pretty much like ours (Im actually pleased by the level of coordination by the 3 athletic departments). The statements are all on the Sun Belt message board if you care to check them out.

To sum them up, CUSA is a clown show run by "executives" who meander between clueless and blatantly terrible, so our schools are out. Send your complaints to our lawyers.

MU is apparently just saying “we quit, sue us”. PR says that we communicated our desire to leave in early December and asked for a negotiation about an enhanced exit fee, to which CUSA simply refused to talk at all.

Gets really thick in the legal woods, as MU is the state and the state is generally immune to suits about contracts, who knows.

Why are you here?

You were against this from the start.

We're all leaving. Judy has refused to have conversations because she believes if she stomps her feet and pouts we'll relent and stay. She knows the conference is completely imploding. That's why all she could do was backfill with the likes of Tarleton State.

I would assume our home game with App will stay as scheduled and just become a league game. Marshall will have to add a non conference game another weekend.
There's no guarantee how the game with App will shake out, i.e., home game or away game. Won't matter that the Herd already had a home game scheduled with them. I'm wondering if they're doing divisions or simply one 12 or 14 team conference. Hell, I'm not even sure how many teams there are now. Assuming there's 14. With that many, it's possible they won't even play Appy State, unless they're doing the divisional thing and they would obviously be in the same division.

As for the non-conference game, the C-USA holdovers are going to need some games, so WKU sounds nice.

Good news indeed... The SBC has to have its conference football schedule done by March 1, so we will get the new slate around that time.

There's no guarantee how the game with App will shake out, i.e., home game or away game. Won't matter that the Herd already had a home game scheduled with them. I'm wondering if they're doing divisions or simply one 12 or 14 team conference. Hell, I'm not even sure how many teams there are now. Assuming there's 14. With that many, it's possible they won't even play Appy State, unless they're doing the divisional thing and they would obviously be in the same division.

As for the non-conference game, the C-USA holdovers are going to need some games, so WKU sounds nice.
According to a post I saw on FB the other day from an Appy fan we are they're 3rd game. The schedule he had listed was as follows.

UNC

Texas A&M

Marshall

Citadel

Ga State

Troy

Texas State

Arkansas State

Coastal

Ga Southern

ULM

South Alabama

Funny for future use he referred to Coastal as the "Beach Chickens"

There will be 14 as of July 1, but JMU will not be eligible for postseason play in their first year... It will be two divisions, East and West, with Troy voluntarily moving to the West with Southern Miss in order to make room for Marshall, ODU and JMU in the East.

Marshall will play... App State, ODU, JMU, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and two teams from the West (no idea who)... Home and away are still up in the air, but with how long this has been in the works, I would imagine App will remain a home game for us.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
East will, in my opinion, perennially be a toss-up. The west is very imbalanced and after watching the SBC for the last three years, I'd say everyone over there has a lot of catching up to do with ULL

I would surmise that increasing fan interest and revenues was a huge consideration. Staying in CUSA for another year would mean static (if not reduced) attendance and revenues. If nothing else changes, ie AD, at least THIS is something new to try to excite the fan base. It will work...but only for a short time. Brilliant on Smith’s part.

GHMY & RDU - Give it a break!! You two are the boys who cried wolf too many times. You are not driving Sam off of here. He has thick skin. He is, I believe excited that we are hauling our asses out of this dumpster fire. Move it on down the street. Nothing to see here….

Reactions: The Real SamC
I would surmise that increasing fan interest and revenues was a huge consideration. Staying in CUSA for another year would mean static (if not reduced) attendance and revenues. If nothing else changes, ie AD, at least THIS is something new to try to excite the fan base. It will work...but only for a short time. Brilliant on Smith’s part.
I would agree... The good thing about the SBC over CUSA is right now the football is better, and eventhough we all realize that can be cyclical, the down years playing teams that make sense like App, Coastal and JMU will still keep more people involved/interested than directional Florida teams, terrible UNCC and two trips to Texas.

The AD needs to promote the shit out of this move and get everyone excited. Hype it up like never before.

Upset Notre Dame and you will really see excitement around Huntington. I agree that this move is positioning MU for a better future. We are still playing at a level below P-5, but that will likely always be the case. Let's just be the best team at this level, similar to what Cincinnati did in 2021. Good to see so many fans on this board in a positive mood.

East will, in my opinion, perennially be a toss-up. The west is very imbalanced and after watching the SBC for the last three years, I'd say everyone over there has a lot of catching up to do with ULL
ULL had a ton of transfers out and lost their coaching staff. Arkansas State had a pretty solid recruiting class I believe as well. The East is definitely the tougher of the two divisions.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Why are you here?

You were against this from the start.
Of course, this is incorrect.

Unlike you, and your alter ego in the Amen Chorus, I am a real Marshall fan. Fan when we were independent, fan when we were in the SoCon, fan when we were in the MAC, fan now when we are in CUSA, looking forward to being a fan when we are in the SBC.

Because being a true fan means RESPECTING the conference you are in and being able to be happy with winning in it. You cannot do that. In a year or two (hopefully, football coach has so far massively underperformed) you will be saying the same sorts of things about Georgia State you said about Louisiana Tech; the same sorts of things about Texas State you said about North Texas, the same things about Troy you said about UAB. Because you want to be a fan of a P5 team, and are incapable of being happy with WINS over teams that are our peers.

Moving from CUSA to the SBC was the right move, especially in terms of geography, school size, media deal, and conference management, but lets not pretend it isn't a lateral move in terms of competiton.

And I'm fine with that. And I know that, in a few years, you won't be.

Of course, this is incorrect.

Unlike you, and your alter ego in the Amen Chorus, I am a real Marshall fan. Fan when we were independent, fan when we were in the SoCon, fan when we were in the MAC, fan now when we are in CUSA, looking forward to being a fan when we are in the SBC.

Because being a true fan means RESPECTING the conference you are in and being able to be happy with winning in it. You cannot do that. In a year or two (hopefully, football coach has so far massively underperformed) you will be saying the same sorts of things about Georgia State you said about Louisiana Tech; the same sorts of things about Texas State you said about North Texas, the same things about Troy you said about UAB. Because you want to be a fan of a P5 team, and are incapable of being happy with WINS over teams that are our peers.

Moving from CUSA to the SBC was the right move, especially in terms of geography, school size, media deal, and conference management, but lets not pretend it isn't a lateral move in terms of competiton.

And I'm fine with that. And I know that, in a few years, you won't be.
Actually, you have been against it.
Just own up to your fault.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
you will be saying the same sorts of things about Georgia State you said about Louisiana Tech; the same sorts of things about Texas State you said about North Texas, the same things about Troy you said about UAB.
Rich coming from a guy who has already bemoaned GaSt and Tx St in previous posts while mocking our win this year in NTX st as a nobody.
GHMY & RDU - Give it a break!! You two are the boys who cried wolf too many times. You are not driving Sam off of here. He has thick skin. He is, I believe excited that we are hauling our asses out of this dumpster fire. Move it on down the street. Nothing to see here….
No. He’s the exact opposite of thick skinned. His reply to GHMY is exactly why he is called out as a hypocrite and largely wrong on most of his responses.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
In another sport, will this mean that Danny D. will get to lead a Herd basketball squad straight to being a bottom feeder for the second year in a row, albeit in a brand-new conference, the SBC? Or does it??;)

Looks like only 2 gimme’s in the East…being Georgia Southern and ODU. I expect a dog fight with all of the others. Georgia State is going to be sneaky good this year.

Reactions: marshallherdfan2
I am, so HAPPY now that Marshall is moving to the Sun Belt Conference in July. Now this fall I will be able to attend the games in North & South Carolina and Georgia and hopefully a couple in Huntington. Best deal is all game results will be on the local news and the sport highlights will have Marshall on them, especially when they win. This will definitely help the recruiting of the more talented players.

I am, so HAPPY now that Marshall is moving to the Sun Belt Conference in July. Now this fall I will be able to attend the games in North & South Carolina and Georgia and hopefully a couple in Huntington. Best deal is all game results will be on the local news and the sport highlights will have Marshall on them, especially when they win. This will definitely help the recruiting of the more talented players.
Im with you on that... The SBC is very drivable for me too. Almost half the league is within 5-5 1/2 hours of my house.

App State, Georgia State, Huntington, Coastal, Georgia Southern, Troy... All within a reasonable down on Saturday, back on Sunday weekend trip radius.

There is no such thing as a “P6”. That is just an ignorant and arrogant spew from Aresco that DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS contracts and agreements he personally signed on behalf of the Group of Five conference he heads.

With the exception of ECU, the new AAC is just a bunch of urban schools that no one in their cities much cares about. The addition of the former CUSA lightweights does nothing but make the league weaker and less legitimate.

The MWC, as noted above, has marketing advantages the others will never have. The level of competition is higher than many in the east acknowledge.

The MAC is complacent and more than anything a source of filler programming for ESPN than a serious effort at a college conference.

The new CUSA is a joke.

But do not get carried away with the SBC. It is a fine conference, especially in the east division, but these, leaving out MU, are smaller schools with smaller budgets playing in the giant shadow of their state’s major conference members.

If you had to rank the conferences (post realignment), I would say this:

SEC
(Gap the size of Alaska)
ACC
(Gap the size of Delaware)
Big 10 and Pac 12
(Gap the size of Texas)
Big 12
(Gap the size of Ohio)
AAC, SBC, MWC
(Gap the size of Ohio)
MAC
(Gap the size of Russia)
CUSA

there is no a P6. I think the new AAC is pretty weak & think the new SBC can put 2-3 teams in the top 25. Also, think our geography mirrors the SEC with its good fan bases.
P6 is some funny shit... Do you think anyone in the SEC or Big10 considers the AAC on their level? Of course not, that is Arresco and his cronies creating a term to jockey for position the pecking order.

This round of realignment has certainly created a more equal playing field among the top 3 G5 leagues, albeit while widening the gap back to the others.

It used to be -- AAC, Mountain West... Then a big gap back to SBC, CUSA, MAC
Now its more like this -- AAC, Mountain West, SBC... Then a big gap back to the MAC... Then another huge gap back to the new CUSA.

Disclaimer: I reckon I should have been more forthcoming in regard to this particular post.

It was intended as an early Monday morning joke.
I wasn't bothered with the P6 marketing play by the AAC, but doesn't work going forward. It looks like the new AAC is solely a play for the metro TV contract only. I do think the new SBC is even with AAC & MWC. I will be interested to see how the new SBC TV contract will look like. When is the SBC'c contract renew?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT