ADVERTISEMENT

Signing class

goherdorgohome2

Silver Buffalo
May 1, 2016
i know we have a lot of grayshirts from last year and we had a lot of young Redshirts but did Doc get alittle soft this signing class?

No juco lineman or graduate transfer linemen ....!! wow ....!! I guess bill legg has a plan...

We signed 5 last year and have another sitting out as a Future.

We are full at our numbers right now when it comes to the line

We signed 5 last year and have another sitting out as a Future.

We are full at our numbers right now when it comes to the line

Right. Plus we signed Kyron Taylor and are the favorites to land a grad transfer who will be eligible immediately. Those two plus the following 12 put us at 14 scholarships dedicated to the OL.

71 Tarik Adams OL 6-3 298 RS FR Valdosta, Ga. (Lowndes)
74 AJ Addison OL 6-6 297 SR Ruther Glen, Va. (Fork Union Military Academy)
77 Alex Locklear OL 6-5 330 RS SO Huntington, W.Va. (Spring Valley)
55 Alex Mollette OL 6-3 293 RS FR Suwanee, Ga. (North Gwinnett)
70 Sean Behrens OL 6-3 302 RS FR Lithia, Fla. (Newsome)
68 Alex Salguero OL 6-3 320 RS FR Bradenton, Fla. (Braden River)
67 Sandley Jean-Felix OL 6-5 324 RS SR Sunrise, Fla. (Boyd Anderson)
79 Fedrice Binot OL 6-2 303 RS JR Lakeland, Fla. (Lake Gibson)
61 Levi Brown OL 6-4 276 RS SO Franklin, Ga. (Heard County)
50 Will Ulmer OL 6-5 287 RS FR Richmond, Ky. (Madison Central)
76 Nathaniel Devers OL 6-3 275 RS JR Massillon, Ohio (Washington)
58 Jordan Dowrey OL 6-1 299 RS JR Winchester, Va. (Handley)

Good to see the same OL coming back .... can't wait to see how bill legg changes his playbook to makeup for weak OL ..... hahahaha lord I hope I'm work

It's not the same OL coming back, there are highly talented OL that did not play last year; and from what I've recently learned it could have been due to decisions of not wanting to burn red-shirts on kids who will be good when playing now but maybe not ready to be thrown into the fire last year. Reread the post above and count the RS FR Olinemen. They're certainly big enough to play in our league, probably weren't strong enough yet when arriving out of HS. Now they should be.

It's not the same OL coming back, there are highly talented OL that did not play last year; and from what I've recently learned it could have been due to decisions of not wanting to burn red-shirts on kids who will be good when playing now but maybe not ready to be thrown into the fire last year. Reread the post above and count the RS FR Olinemen. They're certainly big enough to play in our league, probably weren't strong enough yet when arriving out of HS. Now they should be.

with all the talk last pre-season about "strength" and "weightlifting records" i'm not sure what to think about not being strong enough...

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
The bottom line is, "we got pushed around on the O line and the D line." Is that the Strength coaches fault or position coaches not teaching fundamentals?

Last year wasn't just one thing. Bad oline, suspect dline, linebackers always shooting wrong gaps, cornerbacks almost always getting beat, wr's couldn't catch a cold, no consistency in the rb core. Lines do affect a lot of things but they can't hold the sole blame. I don't thing Mirabol is a very good coach, jmo.

Reactions: Herd Fever
We aren't as bad off, personnel-wise, as last year seemed to indicate, and I don't know that we can't right the ship within a season or two and be back to where we were, especially given the cottony-softness of future schedules.

Maybe the best part of 2016 (other than that it ended) was that the coaching staff recognized its doom fairly early in the season and didn't do its usual erratic redshirt-pulling. We preserved a lot of kids' redshirts, which will be critical in putting Humpty back together.

And I've never played competitive football myself so I'm not going to call anybody who does soft, but people I know who played always tell me line play on both sides of the ball is all about attitude. You can be strong and have great technique, but its really about the nastiness and the drive to just shove that guy in front of you over and over and over again until he can't shove you back. Teams we played last year didn't give Marshall high ratings in that category.

Believe it or not, I've heard from more than one source that Marshall's biggest problem is that we don't have thugs - we have too many good kids, nobody willing to get in somebody's face when they run the wrong route or miss a blocking assignment. Peer review is important in coaching.

Umm, wasn't it last summer that Doc was saying we had the deepest O line since he had been at MU? We may have the "numbers" in O line, but don't believe we have that much experience or "leadership". Maybe Coach Mirabol will really "coach em up". (cough, cough). Hey did we, or did we not, sign that Parade All-American kicker that Smock has been writing about??

We aren't as bad off, personnel-wise, as last year seemed to indicate, and I don't know that we can't right the ship within a season or two and be back to where we were, especially given the cottony-softness of future schedules.

Maybe the best part of 2016 (other than that it ended) was that the coaching staff recognized its doom fairly early in the season and didn't do its usual erratic redshirt-pulling. We preserved a lot of kids' redshirts, which will be critical in putting Humpty back together.

And I've never played competitive football myself so I'm not going to call anybody who does soft, but people I know who played always tell me line play on both sides of the ball is all about attitude. You can be strong and have great technique, but its really about the nastiness and the drive to just shove that guy in front of you over and over and over again until he can't shove you back. Teams we played last year didn't give Marshall high ratings in that category.

Believe it or not, I've heard from more than one source that Marshall's biggest problem is that we don't have thugs - we have too many good kids, nobody willing to get in somebody's face when they run the wrong route or miss a blocking assignment. Peer review is important in coaching.

Two different kind of thugs. Those that cause trouble and get booted and those that show attitude, leadership and make players around them better.

Its not thugs that are needed it leadership and that is why your QB is so important(trust me the football team is not short on thugs). I have said all along that we ran a Sr QB off after spring practice that could have helped that team.
I have heard from more then one person that Litton is big trouble.

The players don't care for Litton. I have heard that from one of our LB's

If he is the starting QB for 2017, I don't look for good things on the season.

My CONCERN.....NO LINEMEN.

You can have all the skill players in the Universe, but, no blocking means===="You ain't going no-where--no-where."

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

One OL. I like the fact he is a wrestler. That means he is nasty. We already have enough OL (I guess, I think you should always take at least three), execution is the problem there.

But only one DL signee is a major fvck-up. That needs immediate help.

Doc says we have 15 OL guys now and about that many DL. Evidently they are confident most of these kids will be better.
They better damn well hope.

In football in order to win, you gotta have thugs on the team. Its the coaches job to enforce rules and keep them under control

Marshall has always had the best work release program in college football hands down... so having bad guys ( black, white, brown, yellow, pink) doesn't bother me.. but having a weak minded coaching staff not willing to try and score with a minute and three timeouts before half, or blitzing a safety drives me nuts.. doc needs to get nasty and stop soft stepping the game plan!!! If OL can't block, better start leading with a fullback.....

Right. Plus we signed Kyron Taylor and are the favorites to land a grad transfer who will be eligible immediately. Those two plus the following 12 put us at 14 scholarships dedicated to the OL.

71 Tarik Adams OL 6-3 298 RS FR Valdosta, Ga. (Lowndes)
74 AJ Addison OL 6-6 297 SR Ruther Glen, Va. (Fork Union Military Academy)
77 Alex Locklear OL 6-5 330 RS SO Huntington, W.Va. (Spring Valley)
55 Alex Mollette OL 6-3 293 RS FR Suwanee, Ga. (North Gwinnett)
70 Sean Behrens OL 6-3 302 RS FR Lithia, Fla. (Newsome)
68 Alex Salguero OL 6-3 320 RS FR Bradenton, Fla. (Braden River)
67 Sandley Jean-Felix OL 6-5 324 RS SR Sunrise, Fla. (Boyd Anderson)
79 Fedrice Binot OL 6-2 303 RS JR Lakeland, Fla. (Lake Gibson)
61 Levi Brown OL 6-4 276 RS SO Franklin, Ga. (Heard County)
50 Will Ulmer OL 6-5 287 RS FR Richmond, Ky. (Madison Central)
76 Nathaniel Devers OL 6-3 275 RS JR Massillon, Ohio (Washington)
58 Jordan Dowrey OL 6-1 299 RS JR Winchester, Va. (Handley)

I hope they are COACHED-UP very quickly. Our skill players need lots of blocking.....

HerdZilla22

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
One OL. I like the fact he is a wrestler. That means he is nasty. We already have enough OL (I guess, I think you should always take at least three), execution is the problem there.

But only one DL signee is a major fvck-up. That needs immediate help.
last years line had at least two wrestlers ......so....

Well I can honestly say I am pleasantly surprised with this class. We did pull some good players in the last effort run, something I didn't think was going to happen due to lack of open spots available against the 85. The Georgia running back, NC linebacker, very nice. Really I don't think we can complain about this class, I don't care what its ranked, we didn't take the full 25 so it doesn't get weighed the same as in the past, so who cares. Those who complain about it probably complain about a beautiful girlfriend when they see a model on TV. The rest is up to the coaches, either get us back to domination or get the hell out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT