ADVERTISEMENT

Sitting here viewing the Ocean from my hi-rise

MichiganHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 17, 2011
Brewpub w/coeds
One day in and I realize what a waste of money it is to come to the beach. Fi
rst time back in seven years, and first trip to ocean city in almost 30 years.

30 years is a helluva long time, but didn't miss a single thing. Same worthless shops and same overpriced food and misc. tourist trap candies and that god awful taffee. $13 a box for that tooth breaking shit.

Saw something new though, as I was walking the boardwalk, and figure rifle is the only one that knows the answer. Was following behind a pair of somewhat fat girls, maybe 18, perhaps 20, but they both had on tight cutoff shorts with half a fat ass cheek exposed. Almost threw up an oyster. Is that something new these days? Walking that boardwalk was no different than going to Walmart, except I'm paying $550.00 a night for this. I'll stay on the porch the next few nights. Brought my own beer, but this will be my last beach trip. Mountain trips are all I'll do moving forward.

Bunch of nasty ass people and I paid that much money to see it.

Reactions: 30CAT
I hate the ocean. It breaks my #1 rule about bodies of water. Don’t venture into any liquid that isn’t clear and you can’t see what is in there.

You deserve every fat girl in your vision if you’re paying $550/night for an Ocean City hotel

I hate the ocean. It breaks my #1 rule about bodies of water. Don’t venture into any liquid that isn’t clear and you can’t see what is in there.
Oceans are far better than filthy rivers, stagnant lakes, and disgusting hot tubs.

disgusting hot tubs.
A student who lived on my floor in the dorm at Marshall told everyone he showered every day, but he would never take a bath. When he was asked why, he said he wasn’t sitting in water where the first two things that touched it were his feet and his ass.

Reactions: 30CAT
A student who lived on my floor in the dorm at Marshall told everyone he showered every day, but he would never take a bath. When he was asked why, he said he wasn’t sitting in water where the first two things that touched it were his feet and his ass.

There's something to be said about soaking in your own filth.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Haven't been to an Atlantic beach in several years. Last week was in Indian Shores Fl on the Gulf, went to Roatan back in January. Destin a couple years ago, Dominican right before that, Clearwater FL prior to that. Heading to Aruba late December.

After hitting the white sand and clear water beaches of the Gulf Coast and Caribbean, I couldn't care less if I ever see the Atlantic seaboard ever again, and likely will not.

I use to hate the beach, too . . .

Haven't been to an Atlantic beach in several years. Last week was in Indian Shores Fl on the Gulf, went to Roatan back in January. Destin a couple years ago, Dominican right before that, Clearwater FL prior to that. Heading to Aruba late December.

After hitting the white sand and clear water beaches of the Gulf Coast and Caribbean, I couldn't care less if I ever see the Atlantic seaboard ever again, and likely will not.

I have a lace 300 yards from the beach..sometimes I don't even go to the beach when I there for days. Not because it is on the Atlantic.

Don't care to go to the Caribbean. Pretty beaches and resorts surrounded by 3rd world shit holes. I can go sit on a beach and hote anywhere and by hopping in a car. Destin is cool but crowded.

surrounded by 3rd world shit holes.
We humans often tend to be pigs and looking around my house this morning, I’m one of them. Laundry on the dining table that needs to be put away, papers strewn across the ottoman, hand tools dropped by the door where I left them when I came inside yesterday, and dust. Lots of dust..

I see I’m going to have to have a Make America Clean Again day real soon..

Pretty beaches and resorts surrounded by 3rd world shit holes.
there's truth to this but i don't see it as a reason not to visit. roatan was just that, a "3rd world shit hole", although i would tend to leave the "shit hole" part out, but that's personal perspective. at any rate, we did a tour of the island and saw first hand 3rd world communities. hell, the VRBO we had was in the middle of the upper/middle class of a 3rd world community. we had a driver that took us to west end daily and visited west bay via water taxi from west end. west end is a 3rd world beach area with shops, restaurants, clubs and bars; west bay is a resort area tailored for people who don't want to deal with the 3rd world areas. coxen hole was another area we visited that was 3rd worldish that i thoroughly enjoyed seeing.

i enjoyed staying there and would do a return visit but we're looking to see more of the world, so why visit the same place twice when we can spend the $$$ to see someplace new.

we don't have a bucket list, per se, but do have several places we want to see. we're planning a trip to italy and switzerland next year, went to ireland back in may. would like to see spain and several other european countries over the next several years; australia, too. after we've visited every place we want to see (which may never happen), we'll likely hit the places that we liked the best once again.

we're looking to see more of the world
Not so sure I want to leave the yard right now. Had some friends travel to the Dominican Republic last Christmas even though I warned them the State Department had posted an advisory not to travel there.

They said they had a good time, but never left the resort grounds and felt a little uneasy seeing guards with high powered rifles outside their apartment.

Good list. I took my family to Indian Rocks Beach last July. We lived in Shalimar, FL for a few years...just across the sound from Destin and Okaloosa Island. Visited Clearwater and Bellair Beach several times before landing in Shalimar. My wife grew up visiting Cancun and Playa Del Carmen often. Before getting married I visited six different Caribbean islands with Anguilla and Grenada being my favorites.

Now living in North Carolina, Topsail Beach is is usually our go-to beach. It's nice and quiet but disappointing after seeing so many Gulf Coast and Caribbean beaches over the years. Would love to move back to Florida one day. If Kamala wins the election perhaps I can pull the liberal card of moving out of the US. I'll buy a spot in the Yucatan close to the water.

there's truth to this but i don't see it as a reason not to visit. roatan was just that, a "3rd world shit hole", although i would tend to leave the "shit hole" part out, but that's personal perspective. at any rate, we did a tour of the island and saw first hand 3rd world communities. hell, the VRBO we had was in the middle of the upper/middle class of a 3rd world community. we had a driver that took us to west end daily and visited west bay via water taxi from west end. west end is a 3rd world beach area with shops, restaurants, clubs and bars; west bay is a resort area tailored for people who don't want to deal with the 3rd world areas. coxen hole was another area we visited that was 3rd worldish that i thoroughly enjoyed seeing.

i enjoyed staying there and would do a return visit but we're looking to see more of the world, so why visit the same place twice when we can spend the $$$ to see someplace new.

we don't have a bucket list, per se, but do have several places we want to see. we're planning a trip to italy and switzerland next year, went to ireland back in may. would like to see spain and several other european countries over the next several years; australia, too. after we've visited every place we want to see (which may never happen), we'll likely hit the places that we liked the best once again.
Sounds like you have some good trips planned. The older I get the more simple I am getting. I am to the point going out to restaurants is starting to frustrate me. Waiting. Service can be hit or miss. Food quality is hit or miss.

Our travels now are pretty simple and nothing fancy. My desire to see the world is growing less.

2nd day update

Got a notification from onstar that at least one tire on my truck was flat. Went out and yep, flat tire. Nail in that SOB. Had to change the damn thing in the parking garage, put on the spare and then go to get a plug. Rednecks there did all the work that time.

I'm pulling a rifle today and staring at high school titties and ass. Maybe early 20s will be as high as I go.

• Haha
Reactions: i am herdman

Those are all great beaches! I’d also recommend Anna Maria Island too!

@MichiganHerd the place in OCMD for [sea] crabs years ago was Hooper's Crab House/Sneaky Pete's on the bay right before crossing the route 50 bridge over into Ocean City. 30 years ago, we'd hit OCMD about every year or at least every other year and a trip to Hooper's for AUCE crabs was a given; this was just about the time we got into crabbing.

. . . speaking of crabbing, just got news from the dealership yesterday (finally) that they're replacing the engine in my silveraydo versus rebuilding it (I took a hard stance against a rebuild and told them I would only accept the truck back with a new engine). only took them a month since that crabbing trip went wrong. only problem now is the engine is on back order with no ETA of when they'll receive one. they said they found a bunch of engines in inventory at other dealerships but all of them are held for trucks at those dealerships with blown motors.

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
@MichiganHerd the place in OCMD for [sea] crabs years ago was Hooper's Crab House/Sneaky Pete's on the bay right before crossing the route 50 bridge over into Ocean City. 30 years ago, we'd hit OCMD about every year or at least every other year and a trip to Hooper's for AUCE crabs was a given; this was just about the time we got into crabbing.

. . . speaking of crabbing, just got news from the dealership yesterday (finally) that they're replacing the engine in my silveraydo versus rebuilding it (I took a hard stance against a rebuild and told them I would only accept the truck back with a new engine). only took them a month since that crabbing trip went wrong. only problem now is the engine is on back order with no ETA of when they'll receive one. they said they found a bunch of engines in inventory at other dealerships but all of them are held for trucks at those dealerships with blown motors.
WTF, has Chevy corrected whatever it is that's causing them to blow up?

Saw the other day where the engine in Ford F-150 has an oil pump that's driven by a rubber belt that sets up inside the oil pan.

WTF, has Chevy corrected whatever it is that's causing them to blow up?

Saw the other day where the engine in Ford F-150 has an oil pump that's driven by a rubber belt that sets up inside the oil pan.
I'm not sure they have, the GM rep that called me indicated they didn't know there is an issue, the service manager at the dealership knew there was an issue because they've had 7 of them so far, but he didn't know whether GM had corrected it. I read on the interwebs about a guy that had the same issue as mine, GM put a new engine in it and he blew that one up a week after getting his truck back. Don't think I'm taking the chance, will likely trade it on a new 3.0 Duramax when I get it back. Was going to go ahead and have the dealer find one and do the trade but I should be able to order a new 2025 soon, so planning on doing that.

supply side failure

• Haha
Reactions: WV-FAN
I have a lace 300 yards from the beach..sometimes I don't even go to the beach when I there for days. Not because it is on the Atlantic.

Don't care to go to the Caribbean. Pretty beaches and resorts surrounded by 3rd world shit holes. I can go sit on a beach and hote anywhere and by hopping in a car. Destin is cool but crowded.
Fort Walton Beach is less crowded, my wife and I will be there again in September.

Reactions: i am herdman
Fort Walton Beach is less crowded, my wife and I will be there again in September.
i'm not totally against revisiting the same place, but there's a huge world out there, spend your money to see new places. i'm done going back to the same spot, no matter how much i like it. ireland and roatan are two of the coolest places i've been in my life and are at the top of the list at this point for a revisit; however, i'll not go back to the same place again until i've visited every other place on the globe that i have a bit of desire to see.

I have been down there several times through the years, different times of the year. I usually stay down near Sandestin. I have some business down in that area.

i'm not totally against revisiting the same place, but there's a huge world out there, spend your money to see new places. i'm done going back to the same spot, no matter how much i like it. ireland and roatan are two of the coolest places i've been in my life and are at the top of the list at this point for a revisit; however, i'll not go back to the same place again until i've visited every other place on the globe that i have a bit of desire to see.
I understand that, we are only going because her family will be vacationing there (again). Neither one of us particularly loves the beach due to our paleness, I am fairly pale and she makes me look tanned.

Okaloosa Island? I can give you a ton of recommendations for that area. We lived in Shalimar that is basically right beside Fort Walton Beach.
Yep. We will be staying at the Waterscape. Did you ever eat at Stewby's? Where were some of your favorite spots?

I have been down there several times through the years, different times of the year. I usually stay down near Sandestin. I have some business down in that area.
It looks like Sandestin is a bit further east than I have been. I have been to Destin for the dolphin cruise, as well as dinner that nearly required me to take out another mortgage.

I hope you do not do business with this guy.

Matt Gaetz Testimony GIF by GIPHY News

I have some business down in that area.
Tyndall?

All of this talk along the Emerald Coast is missing the two best spots: Alys Beach and Shell Island.

Alys is a planned community that is different than anyplace else. It is close to Rosemary and Seaside. It's the exclusive area of 30A. And you deplorables should like it, since all houses/buildings have to be white. But you're paying multi-millions for the smallest condo there.

For some reason, even though it is small, it has been a pretty popular spot for MLB players to vacation with their families.

The second one is Shell Island. Years ago, I went from Texas there to look at property. The problem? It can only be property. Nobody is allowed to build on the island. As my realtor told me, you will be paying $50k to have your own spot to put your beach chair, because that's all you can put in the sand.

Due to military restrictions, they have prohibited any buildings there . . . not even a portable bathroom. No concessions. Nothing. You have to take a boat to get there, so you don't see much of anything. Boats drop people off every hour, but since you have to bring your own cooler/chair/umbrella, nobody walks too far from where the boat drops you. So if you walk 10 minutes away, you have the sand/water to yourself with nobody within eye distance.

The water and sand are immaculate, you can sit on the sand all day and see nobody, and it is home to the highest concentration of bottlenose dolphins in the continental U.S.

Tyndall?

All of this talk along the Emerald Coast is missing the two best spots: Alys Beach and Shell Island.

Alys is a planned community that is different than anyplace else. It is close to Rosemary and Seaside. It's the exclusive area of 30A. And you deplorables should like it, since all houses/buildings have to be white. But you're paying multi-millions for the smallest condo there.

For some reason, even though it is small, it has been a pretty popular spot for MLB players to vacation with their families.

The second one is Shell Island. Years ago, I went from Texas there to look at property. The problem? It can only be property. Nobody is allowed to build on the island. As my realtor told me, you will be paying $50k to have your own spot to put your beach chair, because that's all you can put in the sand.

Due to military restrictions, they have prohibited any buildings there . . . not even a portable bathroom. No concessions. Nothing. You have to take a boat to get there, so you don't see much of anything. Boats drop people off every hour, but since you have to bring your own cooler/chair/umbrella, nobody walks too far from where the boat drops you. So if you walk 10 minutes away, you have the sand/water to yourself with nobody within eye distance.

The water and sand are immaculate, you can sit on the sand all day and see nobody, and it is home to the highest concentration of bottlenose dolphins in the continental U.S.
No.....not been to those areas.

Yep. We will be staying at the Waterscape. Did you ever eat at Stewby's? Where were some of your favorite spots?

Stewby's is the favorite of locals down there. The price and quality is better than most, if not all, of the touristy places. There is a new Stewby's location right on Okaloosa Island. It opened after we moved out of the area but we did eat there once when we went back for a visit. It was just as good as the original location on Racetrack Rd.

I made this map for some friends that visited when we lived there. It has some of our favorite places on there. I made a few edits but some of this may be incorrect. It's mostly restaurants and good places to shop. There's also some really nice places to see if you have an afternoon. Go to the beach somewhere along the Gulf Island National Seashore. It's about 20 min west...starts at Navarre beach and goes to Pensacola. Also, worth it to take a day and explore the 30A Hwy between Destin and Panama City. I marked the beginning. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: herdfan06
Stewby's is the favorite of locals down there. The price and quality is better than most, if not all, of the touristy places. There is a new Stewby's location right on Okaloosa Island. It opened after we moved out of the area but we did eat there once when we went back for a visit. It was just as good as the original location on Racetrack Rd.

I made this map for some friends that visited when we lived there. It has some of our favorite places on there. I made a few edits but some of this may be incorrect. It's mostly restaurants and good places to shop. There's also some really nice places to see if you have an afternoon. Go to the beach somewhere along the Gulf Island National Seashore. It's about 20 min west...starts at Navarre beach and goes to Pensacola. Also, worth it to take a day and explore the 30A Hwy between Destin and Panama City. I marked the beginning. Let me know if you have any questions.

Wow. You put a lot of effort into that map, thank you for sharing. The only Stewby's I am familiar with is the one Santa Rosa Blvd and it must have been brand new when we first ate there in September 2019. I noticed you did not mark 'Red Rose', do you know if they offer takeout? Boshamps is good and certainly is pricey.

My wife and I probably will not venture off too much, unless it is with her family because we will not have a vehicle. I hope to visit the Air Force Museum, have you visited it?

Wow. You put a lot of effort into that map, thank you for sharing. The only Stewby's I am familiar with is the one Santa Rosa Blvd and it must have been brand new when we first ate there in September 2019. I noticed you did not mark 'Red Rose', do you know if they offer takeout? Boshamps is good and certainly is pricey.

My wife and I probably will not venture off too much, unless it is with her family because we will not have a vehicle. I hope to visit the Air Force Museum, have you visited it?

We actually lived about 5 minutes from the Air Force museum so we took family there a couple of times. It's pretty cool. The NAS museum in Pensacola is great too if you ever get a chance to drive an hour west.

To be honest, I've never heard of Red Rose but I'm going to guess that it's not the type of place my wife would allow me to frequent. I only went to Boshamps once when we lived there. It was really good but we usually just didn't want to pay the prices. I would probably say the same about Back Porch. We really did try to avoid the touristy places. Stewby's was always the best seafood and the prices are way better. The original Stewbys was primarily a takeout place on Racetrack Road in FWB. Then across the sound from you is The Shack. The prices there were always pretty good too. Staying where you are, I would just eat at Stewbys and then walk across the bridge to Miracle Strip Pwy and eat at the restaurants there. No need to ever get in a car. There are tons of good places...The Cowhead (burgers), Burrito Del Sol, Parlor Donuts, Fokker's Pub (Good pizza and appetizers), Bavarian's Wirtshaus, Pub Subs from Publix, Robinson's Cruise Thru (would have to drive here) and Nellie's Lumpia (Filipino). Some of the places are a bit sketchy but still pretty good. The last couple would require a car. On the island there's Rockin' Tacos and Crab Trap. Both super touristy and overpriced but the food is good. I would avoid Anglers. Never had a great experience there.

I'm sure there are other good places too. Just looking at the map some places that we liked have closed in the past 4 years since we've been in NC. It's a great place though. I can't wait to go back. Even being close to the beaches here in NC we still don't mind driving to the Gulf Coast for vacation just because we like it so much better.

I remember a place in Pensacola from the 70s, Rosie O'Grady's. Is it still there?

We actually lived about 5 minutes from the Air Force museum so we took family there a couple of times. It's pretty cool. The NAS museum in Pensacola is great too if you ever get a chance to drive an hour west.

To be honest, I've never heard of Red Rose but I'm going to guess that it's not the type of place my wife would allow me to frequent. I only went to Boshamps once when we lived there. It was really good but we usually just didn't want to pay the prices. I would probably say the same about Back Porch. We really did try to avoid the touristy places. Stewby's was always the best seafood and the prices are way better. The original Stewbys was primarily a takeout place on Racetrack Road in FWB. Then across the sound from you is The Shack. The prices there were always pretty good too. Staying where you are, I would just eat at Stewbys and then walk across the bridge to Miracle Strip Pwy and eat at the restaurants there. No need to ever get in a car. There are tons of good places...The Cowhead (burgers), Burrito Del Sol, Parlor Donuts, Fokker's Pub (Good pizza and appetizers), Bavarian's Wirtshaus, Pub Subs from Publix, Robinson's Cruise Thru (would have to drive here) and Nellie's Lumpia (Filipino). Some of the places are a bit sketchy but still pretty good. The last couple would require a car. On the island there's Rockin' Tacos and Crab Trap. Both super touristy and overpriced but the food is good. I would avoid Anglers. Never had a great experience there.

I'm sure there are other good places too. Just looking at the map some places that we liked have closed in the past 4 years since we've been in NC. It's a great place though. I can't wait to go back. Even being close to the beaches here in NC we still don't mind driving to the Gulf Coast for vacation just because we like it so much better.
My wife and I would probably walk, however, we will have her 80 and 75-year old parents and 5 and 3-year old nieces with us. We will probably be mostly eating in, but I will suggest some of these places for the few times we eat out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT