ADVERTISEMENT

smoker grilles

Restricting red meat quickly reduces your saturated fat consumption, which in turn, drops your cholesterol level. That's immensely healthier.

Restricting red meat most likely lowers your weight due to it being so calorically dense. Lowering weight leads to numerous health benefits.

Restricting red meat reduces heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc. Not in any way healthier?

Restricting red meat lowers your chance of certain types of cancer.

You also need to be cautious of some of the more popular versions of plant-based proteins. For example, Beyond Meats Burgers and Impossible Burgers are both loaded with saturated fat.

4 oz of 93/7 fat ratio ground beef contains approx 5g sat fat
https://www.nutritionix.com/food/93-lean-beef

4oz Beyond Burger contains approx 5g sat fat as well
https://www.beyondmeat.com/products/the-beyond-burger/

Look at the side by side comparison for the regular vs Impossible Whopper:

https://www.bk.com/nutrition-explorer

You will find only 1g difference in SFA. I'm not arguing your point; in general, reducing intakes of certain cuts of red meats can be an effective strategy in reducing LDL cholesterol, but the average consumer doesn't know what to look for. Interestingly, the Beyond and Impossible "crumbles" do not have this issue, but these are also pre-cooked products.

I think processed carbs are worse than red meat, personally.

I agree, processed CHO (white rice, added sugars, enriched flour pasta, bread, crackers, tortillas) all break down and convert to glucose rapidly. Post-prandial glucose levels, even in non DM patients, still show there is a heavy burden placed on the body to cover with increased insulin production.

It's no wonder, after decades of eating an American's highly processed CHO diet, an individual could start to see some insulin resistance. The lack of fiber in processed CHO (along with the spiking glucs, followed by a quick drop from insulin production) means we want to pile up large portions of processed CHO to get any satiety, often leading to weight gain/obesity. And to the point Rifle made about SFA - these can also increase insulin resistance, so DM patients are advised to limit intakes to 5% - 10% total kcals (depending on which source you reference, AHA, NLA or WHO).

Gotta call bullshit on this i use my Traeger for everything and it does well. The smoke is what imparts the flavor not burnt on grease
maybe I explained it poorly, or whatever. And I only know this, because it happened to me.
I use my Traeger for long slow cooks of pork butts, brisket etc. and usually not hotter than 250. There is grease usually left over that I don't clean each and every time. From observing pits on TV shows, there are many that have years of built up grease on them, so I figure there is a reason.
One day I decided to cook a steak or burger on the Traeger just to try a higher temperature. So I fired it up to like 450. Next thing you know, that grease is burning, and the most god awful smoke is coming out. Not the kind of smoke you would want to cook with. it was smoke from burning grease not wood, it lasted a long time. I shut the grill off to put out the fire.
So maybe you clean your Traeger more often and don't have this problem. or maybe you haven't used it enough for long slow cooks, and don't have a grease build up, IDK. Just telling you what happened to me, that's all.

At that point I decided if I wanted to cook something at a high temperature, Id use my grill, and if it was a long slow cook, I use the Traeger.

maybe I explained it poorly, or whatever. And I only know this, because it happened to me.
I use my Traeger for long slow cooks of pork butts, brisket etc. and usually not hotter than 250. There is grease usually left over that I don't clean each and every time. From observing pits on TV shows, there are many that have years of built up grease on them, so I figure there is a reason.
One day I decided to cook a steak or burger on the Traeger just to try a higher temperature. So I fired it up to like 450. Next thing you know, that grease is burning, and the most god awful smoke is coming out. Not the kind of smoke you would want to cook with. it was smoke from burning grease not wood, it lasted a long time. I shut the grill off to put out the fire.
So maybe you clean your Traeger more often and don't have this problem. or maybe you haven't used it enough for long slow cooks, and don't have a grease build up, IDK. Just telling you what happened to me, that's all.

At that point I decided if I wanted to cook something at a high temperature, Id use my grill, and if it was a long slow cook, I use the Traeger.
based on everything i've read about the traegers (i'm traeger rookie), they need to be cleaned frequently. what say you @herdfan429 ?

based on everything i've read about the traegers (i'm traeger rookie), they need to be cleaned frequently. what say you @herdfan429 ?

I usually just wipe mine down after every couple of uses, and clean the ashes out after about 10 uses I do not get it super clean. I usually use my Traeger a couple times a week atleast doing both long slow smokes and quick burgers and don’t have an issue. With the smoke tube you get a lot more buildup of carbon than without it.
Does your traeger not have a grease trap/heat shield? The entire point of those is so you dont get a flare up/grease fire

ribeyes & strips on the grille this evening.

going to smoke a brisket tomorrow. @herdfan429 what tips you got? i've a couple injection recipes so going to try one of those. most recipes indicate to smoke at 225 until internal temp gets to 160, 4 to 6 hours. wrap brisket, return to heat at 225 and go until internal temp gets to 204.

going to smoke a brisket tomorrow. @herdfan429 what tips you got? i've a couple injection recipes so going to try one of those. most recipes indicate to smoke at 225 until internal temp gets to 160, 4 to 6 hours. wrap brisket, return to grille and go until internal temp reaches 204. rest 15 mins.

going to smoke a brisket tomorrow. @herdfan429 what tips you got? i've a couple injection recipes so going to try one of those. most recipes indicate to smoke at 225 until internal temp gets to 160, 4 to 6 hours. wrap brisket, return to heat at 225 and go until internal temp gets to 204.
Thanks for revitalizing this thread. Served as a reminder I need to leave work and run over to the Galesburg Meat Company for a couple racks. Be back soon.

I’m not a fan of brisket but the times I have cooked one that seems like what I did. Just keep it moist. It will dry out easily if you’re not careful which is the point of covering

I’m not a fan of brisket but the times I have cooked one that seems like what I did. Just keep it moist. It will dry out easily if you’re not careful which is the point of covering
i'm actually not a huge fan of brisket, either. however, i have one from a beef we had butchered last year so going to give it a shot.

Reactions: herdfan429
I've got brown stains in my shorts older than that lame joke

200.gif

i'm actually not a huge fan of brisket, either. however, i have one from a beef we had butchered last year so going to give it a shot.
I’d watch Aaron Franklin video on how to trim a brisket again. Getting rid of some of that fat helps especially if you do a whole brisket. The point can have lots of fat. The other thing I’d recommend is his video on how to trim

I’d watch Aaron Franklin video on how to trim a brisket again. Getting rid of some of that fat helps especially if you do a whole brisket. The point can have lots of fat. The other thing I’d recommend is his video on how to trim
I got his book for Fathers Day. It’s loaded with tips and recipes. He says to use butcher paper instead of foil to wrap. It helps it get through the stall quicker. I’m doing ribs this weekend.

Reactions: sluggo72
I got his book for Fathers Day. It’s loaded with tips and recipes. He says to use butcher paper instead of foil to wrap. It helps it get through the stall quicker. I’m doing ribs this weekend.
Two kinds of people in this world. Wrappers and non wrappers. I m a non wrapper. Even FrAnklin in his videos call it the Texas crutch
Amazing ribs. Com has some good information on the ‘stall’ and wrapping etc.

Two kinds of people in this world. Wrappers and non wrappers. I m a non wrapper. Even FrAnklin in his videos call it the Texas crutch
Amazing ribs. Com has some good information on the ‘stall’ and wrapping etc.
Yeah I rarely if ever wrap anything on the grill short of vegetables. I prefer to marinate and brine depending on the cut. I’ve even been known to baste last couple of hours

Wife gave the brisket to the inlaws. Oh well, did a couple beer can chickens. Difficult to mess up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT