ADVERTISEMENT

Smokers (The food kind, not the nasty kind)

ARandomHerdFan

USER BANNED
Jan 9, 2006
I’m going to be careful with this post, because saying the words “meat” and “wood” too many times will summon @herdfan06.

I’ll be getting a smoker soon and have been reading online what the best kind of wood is to really bring out the flavors of various meats. While I can read website after website, I thought it’s be better to ask you guys your thoughts on the process and what you prefer.

I’m definitely thinking about starting with chicken or brisket. I’ve heard hickory is a good go-to, with applewood popping up a few times.

I’m going to be careful with this post, because saying the words “meat” and “wood” too many times will summon @herdfan06.

I’ll be getting a smoker soon and have been reading online what the best kind of wood is to really bring out the flavors of various meats. While I can read website after website, I thought it’s be better to ask you guys your thoughts on the process and what you prefer.

I’m definitely thinking about starting with chicken or brisket. I’ve heard hickory is a good go-to, with applewood popping up a few times.
I like hickory, apple and mesquite. Brisket can be tricky, be sure to get butcher paper.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
What kind of smoker are you going to get?

I've been thinking about getting one too. I feel like I haven't reached peak dad WASP until I've smoked some meat in my back yard with some cargo shorts and new balances on.
Leaning towards a pellet smoker… currently looking at one of the Pit Boss vertical smokers.

I have a masterbuilt electric smoker, and it works wonders. I'm assuming you've never smoked before (meat, not Sistersville's chronic), and if that's the case, I wouldn't start with a brisket. That's for when you're good at the smoker. I would start off with something cheap, like the chicken, or even go with a pork shoulder, which is my personal favorite.

As for smoke styles, the oak is going to be a really strong smoke, so it's really what you prefer. Personally, I like a sweet, lighter smoke, so I usually go with Pecan. The key is to not over smoke and ruin the taste of the meat. For my mastercraft, when making ribs, I only smoke it twice during the 3 hours of smoking. Then, once I unwrap the ribs and add some Stubbs for about 45 minutes, I do another really light smoke. It's just like drinking beers though, so it's all about your personal tastes. Also, remember you have to let the meat get happy the night before, by letting it soak in a marinade or brine.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/how-tos/pick-the-best-smoking-wood

I have a Traeger and I love it. I also have a kettle smoker and a gas grill. Travers are super easy to use just get quality pellets. I usually use a blend of oak hickory apple/cherry depending on what I have. Mesquite can be a touch strong so stay away from that with more delicate proteins like poultry.

I have a Z grill pellet smoker and love it! They are very similar to a Traeger

I have a masterbuilt electric smoker, and it works wonders. I'm assuming you've never smoked before (meat, not Sistersville's chronic), and if that's the case, I wouldn't start with a brisket. That's for when you're good at the smoker. I would start off with something cheap, like the chicken, or even go with a pork shoulder, which is my personal favorite.

As for smoke styles, the oak is going to be a really strong smoke, so it's really what you prefer. Personally, I like a sweet, lighter smoke, so I usually go with Pecan. The key is to not over smoke and ruin the taste of the meat. For my mastercraft, when making ribs, I only smoke it twice during the 3 hours of smoking. Then, once I unwrap the ribs and add some Stubbs for about 45 minutes, I do another really light smoke. It's just like drinking beers though, so it's all about your personal tastes. Also, remember you have to let the meat get happy the night before, by letting it soak in a marinade or brine.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/how-tos/pick-the-best-smoking-wood
You’re correct about the minimal experience smoking… I’ve assisted with a couple things, but never a solo.

While I do like the smoky taste, I don’t know if I’d want something that’s going to punch me in the face, which sounds like what the oak would do.

Never smoked anything, but I was fascinated by this thread. For a split second, I was tempted to try this. Then my more sensible side realized that considering my food skills, it would be a sure road to food poisoning.

Never smoked anything, but I was fascinated by this thread. For a split second, I was tempted to try this. Then my more sensible side realized that considering my food skills, it would be a sure road to food poisoning.
A pellet grill is foolproof, I’d recommend about any pellet smoker. Less mess and hassle compared to a Big Green Egg.

Reactions: imherdfan
You’re correct about the minimal experience smoking… I’ve assisted with a couple things, but never a solo.

While I do like the smoky taste, I don’t know if I’d want something that’s going to punch me in the face, which sounds like what the oak would do.
Oak is fine. That is what most pork is cooked with in these parts.

For some reason I liked the smoked pulled pork or brisket, but sometimes smoked ribs seem to me to get that too much in your face over bearing smoke taste.

Aside - Rodney Scott is a national treasure. I met him at a foodie event thing and he’s just a good dude with a good work ethic and unreal talent. Every time I’m near one of his places I’ve got to get that open faced pulled pork sandwich with house made pork rinds.

Leaning towards a pellet smoker… currently looking at one of the Pit Boss vertical smokers.

My friends who are old school swear by the green egg or primo…but the ease of the pellet smoker is just too appealing to me.

I’m pretty busy and don’t have time to climb the learning curve …so I’ve been thinking Traeger or Pit Boss pellet .

Reactions: Jartard

Oak is not a punch you in the face wood. It burns hot but the flavor is nkt overpowering.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
I have a Treager and love it. Most of my smokes have been w Alder because that’s what I have. You taste the meat
The go to website is
Amazing ribs . Com. They know their stuff

I have the Big Green Egg. Didn't know really much about and am self taught. May be doing it wrong, but we like it.

The pellet smoker seems to be very convenient. Probably can't go wrong either way. I just watch videos and ask some of the old timers. Seems to work.

I watch this guy a lot, Malcom Reed. Here is his site. He has info, recipes, and buying guides for smokers. His youtube videos are good as well.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
I have the Big Green Egg. Didn't know really much about and am self taught. May be doing it wrong, but we like it.

The pellet smoker seems to be very convenient. Probably can't go wrong either way. I just watch videos and ask some of the old timers. Seems to work.

I watch this guy a lot, Malcom Reed. Here is his site. He has info, recipes, and buying guides for smokers. His youtube videos are good as well.

My intuition is the Green egg will last longer and is truly a "buy it for life" type of deal.

With the pellet smokers you've got more moving parts and more prone to issues down the line I'd bet. Also just doesn't seem as sturdy.

I have a Masterbuilt smart-smoker that allows me to monitor temperatures and control them via app. Probably a little too techy for a smoker but I like being able to check it remotely. I've had really good success with pork loins and ribs. I find Apple or Peach are my favorites but they are pretty light on flavor. I actually bought some guava wood from Hawaii that I haven't had the chance to try.

I have a Masterbuilt smart-smoker that allows me to monitor temperatures and control them via app. Probably a little too techy for a smoker but I like being able to check it remotely. I've had really good success with pork loins and ribs. I find Apple or Peach are my favorites but they are pretty light on flavor. I actually bought some guava wood from Hawaii that I haven't had the chance to try.
My masterbuilt has that as well, but I've never used it. I like to stay out on the porch and play with my meat, while the wife is inside cleaning.

As for this thread, thinking this group could have one hell of a good weekend party together with all the smokers and food. Just need raoul to bring a bunch of bourbon and beers, sistersville to bring the chronic, and rifle to show up with a bunch of those mail order brides from Ukraine or the girls from the Warren Jeffs clan.

My intuition is the Green egg will last longer and is truly a "buy it for life" type of deal.

With the pellet smokers you've got more moving parts and more prone to issues down the line I'd bet. Also just doesn't seem as sturdy.
It also requires more manning and control. The pellet grills are set it and forget it basically, just check pellet levels and meat temp. Big green egg requires more frequent temperature monitoring adding fuel etc

My friends who are old school swear by the green egg or primo…but the ease of the pellet smoker is just too appealing to me.

I’m pretty busy and don’t have time to climb the learning curve …so I’ve been thinking Traeger or Pit Boss pellet .
If you are limited with time, absolutely go with the pellet type. I have an egg, and even though i love the thing and it produces ridiculous results on everything from smoked meat to pizza (can easily be fired up to north of 700 degrees which leads to incredible crusts) I will admit that I am in the market for one of the computerized modules that will assist with/ensure temperature control for the 12+ hour cooks (a couple options available for the eggs). Adding lump during a cook should generally never happen. A full load in an egg can easily last for 18 hours at 250. The beauty of the pellet's is lots of them are computerized, but I personally think there is a very slight flavor difference between lump and pellets, with the nod going to the lump.
As mentioned above, the ceramics are warranted for life whereas anything metal will eventually rust due to the heat and environmental factors (even if covered). Ultimately its about personal preference and time availability, really cant go wrong if you don't go cheap.

Last edited:
I would like to echo some of the comments above.

If you really want to learn to control the fire and do some old school smoking, get an offset smoker with a fire box. That is how I started. I bought a cheap on at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for next to nothing and did some customizing to add some insulation. Once I got good at controling the fire I went cheap again and got a kamado style smoker/grill. Instead of the Green Egg or Kamado Joe, I picked up a steel Char Griller Akorn. That thing was awesome and can be purchased for less than $300. I got really good at controlling the fire there as it worked just like the Green Egg would. I could get it to hold the temperature (+/- 10 degrees) for up to 6-7 hours. After I practiced for a couple of Summers I moved up and got an Egg. Now, I want a Traeger that I can set and forget but part of it, for me, is just hanging out and monitoring the fire. That part is fun to me. If you want to be hands off....just get a pellet grill if you want to spend some money.....get an electric smoker if you want to save some money.

Also, I will go out of my way to find Oak. I'm a Texas-style BBQ guy. I season with mostly salt & pepper and smoke with Oak. Pork Butts are the easiest thing in the world to cook. Brisket takes practice. Word of caution....if you are not careful it becomes an expensive hobby.

Reactions: herdfan429
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT