ADVERTISEMENT

So....When is Danny getting booted?

He went to MU, he is from WV, and is a dynamic public speaker.

That is a " good coach" to a fan base that accepts mediocrity.

No, Samantha.

- He took us to the tournament, something no other MU coach had done in 30+ years.
- He won a game in the tournament, something no other MU coach has done in history.
- Marshall is the only school in the conference that has had a winning conference record each of the last six seasons.
- He has consistently put out a competitive team every year - he never has a bad or rebuilding year. There is always a decent product on the court.

No, compare that to Doc:

Did he take the football program to unprecedented heights like DD has done? Nope.
Did he have our football program be the only program with a winning record over the last six seasons? Nope.
Did he always put out a competitive team without a losing or rebuilding year? Nope.

Doc had a losing season about 30% of the time. Compare that to DD.

Doc wasn't bad, but he underperformed considering all things. The fact that fan support suffered under him and that he wasn't particularly charismatic/likeable added to those shortcomings, and DD has those intangibles (and a better product).

I like Dan and think he is a good coach. His recruiting needs a step up but he will be here as long as he sells tickets. He has many fans including me. I will keep buying tickets to see his brand of basketball. I wish coaches and players wouldn't be bad-mouthed so much on this site. Constructive criticism is justified but criticism cuts real close to put downs. Give us a break.
Hey don't get me wrong I love Dan. I would love nothing more than for him to go on an epic run and click off 2-3 conference titles before he hangs it up. Thing is that year in and year out nothing changes. We're recruiting against schools like College of the Sciences and New Jersey Institute of Technology (this is not a joke. I am serious) for recruits. We don't, haven't, and most likely never will have a true 5 big man under Dan and our S&C program is almost completely nonexistent. Beyers looks almost the same as he did the day he stepped on campus.

I think Dan is just too set in his ways and he isn't changing. I would love to see us hit the portal or bring in a couple JUCOs to play down low, but that most likely will not happen. Not impossible as Cline mentioned the portal, but who is leaving? Rumors are that Bennett is the only player leaving and Kinsey may declare. We have one commit coming in so that doesn't leave us but one more spot.

This offseason should tell us a lot about this staff and team. Getting bounced in the first round of the conference championship game was completely inexcusable and everyone should be extremely pissed and ready to hit the ground for next season.

He went to MU, he is from WV, and is a dynamic public speaker.

That is a " good coach" to a fan base that accepts mediocrity.
Sam, you just will never get it. Doc is gone. Coach Huff is the man now. And get over your dislike for DD and roundball.

Reactions: Herd1972
How are we accepting mediocrity? C-USA is ranked #14 currently by Real Time RPI. The MAC is ranked #17 .That means there are 18 conferences below us. While that may make us a one bid conference it surely isn't like we are fighting it out in some bottom of the barrel conference either. So let's push hard to improve but also enjoy the ride and quit acting like we are in some horrible conference where we should win it every year.

How are we accepting mediocrity? C-USA is ranked #14 currently by Real Time RPI. The MAC is ranked #17 .That means there are 18 conferences below us. While that may make us a one bid conference it surely isn't like we are fighting it out in some bottom of the barrel conference either. So let's push hard to improve but also enjoy the ride and quit acting like we are in some horrible conference where we should win it every year.
Yep. Some choose to ignore the fact that our league is regularly ranked dead last in all of the D1 football conferences. Yet, we’ve only won it once.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
So let's push hard to improve but also enjoy the ride and quit acting like we are in some horrible conference where we should win it every year.
Where has anyone suggested or claimed we "should win it every year"? Please link us to those statements. Thanks.

Sam, you just will never get it. Doc is gone. Coach Huff is the man now. And get over your dislike for DD and roundball.

Try to read the whole thread before commenting again. Because this has been asked and answered:

- Can we please have have a basketball discussion without mentioning football? If MU had won the Rose Bowl, went 0-12, was in I-AA, or did not have a team at all, it would not change one thing about the need for discussion of this mediocre basketball team and the fan base's acceptance of mediocrity.

We are talking about basketball, and the obvious need for a total change, not only in the coaching staff, but in the way the in way the administration and especially the fan base looks at basketball.

This conference is there to be dominated, by anyone who demands excellence.

true, but he keeps playing the top of the conference. Ohio, Toledo and Akron are solid programs. We beat Ohio this year and they were champs. We lost to Toledo in OT and they were the best team over there.
And Ohio just beat defending national champion UVA. There were several recent posts stating CUSA is considerably better than the MAC in basketball and I responded that recent records in the NCAA tournament favor the MAC in terms of winning percentage. Point is there are solid teams and programs in both conferences.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
DD needs to put a spark back into the program. Not sure what that is, that’s why he gets paid the big bucks. Just deliver.
Sean - I generally agree with virtually everything you post about basketball and think you have great feel for and knowledge about the game. But at $200k DD is hardly getting paid the "big bucks" especially in comparison to similar programs in CUSA and the MAC who pay $400k, $600k and more yet he is outperforming many if not most of these higher paid coaches.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Sean - I generally agree with virtually everything you post about basketball and think you have great feel for and knowledge about the game. But at $200k DD is hardly getting paid the "big bucks" especially in comparison to similar programs in CUSA and the MAC who pay $400k, $600k and more yet he is outperforming many if not most of these higher paid coaches.
Haha thanks, man.

When I say “big bucks”, I just mean that he makes more than my $0, so he needs to decide what that spark is and provide it.

He’s a millionaire. DD isn’t hurting. I think his total compensation is well above 250K. Still very cheap but like I said, he’s not worried about making his house payment

But it took 47 years for Oral Roberts to have its day. It's just not as easy as some here appear to believe.

I guess since you are from Kentucky you must think you are an NCAA genius, how did the Wildcats do this year? You better take a look at OR basketball history and see who they have drawn in the first round.

Oral Roberts Golden Eagles men's basketball - Wikipedia

With teams like Pitt,Wa. State, and Memphis.

Those teams were no less than 4th seed. They have a tradition in the Summit.

And Ohio just beat defending national champion UVA. There were several recent posts stating CUSA is considerably better than the MAC in basketball and I responded that recent records in the NCAA tournament favor the MAC in terms of winning percentage. Point is there are solid teams and programs in both conferences.

Not sure how “recent records” could “favor the MAC” when C-USA has won a game in the NCAA 5 of the last 6 tournaments. MAC has 3 wins in that span, which isn’t bad at all either.

Now if you’re talking that MAC has won a first round game 3 straight tournaments, while CUSA has won a game 2 of the last 3 tournaments, that’s a very negligible difference.

Buffalo was a 6-seed in 2019, which far surpasses the respect any of the CUSA champs not named Memphis have received in the past decade.

I guess since you are from Kentucky you must think you are an NCAA genius, how did the Wildcats do this year? You better take a look at OR basketball history and see who they have drawn in the first round.

Oral Roberts Golden Eagles men's basketball - Wikipedia

With teams like Pitt,Wa. State, and Memphis.

Those teams were no less than 4th seed. They have a tradition in the Summit.
Wow, what triggered you? I have my ideas. Or how did Duke do this year? Think both UK and Duke will be back in the tournament before Oral Roberts beats another #2 seed?

How about another KY team closer to home. Morehead State is 6-9 in 8 NCAA appearances recently beating a #4 seeded Louisville since you used that as a line in the sand. They lost to #12 Richmond in the next round. Doesn't take an NCAA genius like me to understand that in addition to some days you are hot and your opponent is not matchups and style of play can affect outcomes..

Fact is it took Oral Robers 47 years to win another NCAA game after some early success. And MSU 27 years to record another tournament win (25 if you count play-in games). But MU's recent NCAA victory doesn't "count" because we got hot for 8 days???

Not sure how “recent records” could “favor the MAC” when C-USA has won a game in the NCAA 5 of the last 6 tournaments. MAC has 3 wins in that span, which isn’t bad at all either.
Use your other hand to count 😀. In a previous post I think I looked at NCAA tournament records over the last 10 years. Both conferences had the same number of wins but CUSA had more losses, hence the higher winning percentage that I referred to.

Or how did Duke do this year?

Not very well, but personally, I don't really care.

Doesn't take an NCAA genius like me to understand that in addition to some days you are hot and your opponent is not matchups and style of play can affect outcomes..

Exactly, we finally agree. MU (Danny) was hot for eight days. Anything can happen. That does not give an open ticket to stay as long as you want as an HC. Especially, when other aspects of your coaching are definitely suspect. Anything other than that is accepting mediocracy.

But MU's recent NCAA victory doesn't "count" because we got hot for 8 days???

It counts, keep it in perspective, see above.

Reactions: The Real SamC
But MU's recent NCAA victory doesn't "count" because we got hot for 8 days???

Not that "recent", but who said it did not "count"? Everything counts. It is just that when you accept mediocrity, winning one game once is something you dwell on for decades of otherwise underperforming and embarrassing nothingness. When you demand excellence, you see it as a step towards where we are supposed to be.

Reactions: johns1124
Just proves our point. Anyone can have their day in the NCAA Tournament. Just like Oral. Roberts
I noticed you must have added (That was two years ago) to my original post that you quoted. UVA finished 1st, 1st, 2nd and 1st in each of the last 4 ACC regular seasons. They have been seeded #1, #1 and #4 for the last three tournaments played. Since I would think no one here shouldn't know that no tournament was played last year (do I need to elaborate on the reasons for that?) UVA is still the reigning, or defending, champion. UVA has been a recent force to deal with though OU's win is somewhat diminished by UVA's recent history of being the only #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed...

Last edited:
Not that "recent", but who said it did not "count"? Everything counts. It is just that when you accept mediocrity, winning one game once is something you dwell on for decades of otherwise underperforming and embarrassing nothingness. When you demand excellence, you see it as a step towards where we are supposed to be.
Does the CIT tournament win count too?

Not very well, but personally, I don't really care.

Exactly, we finally agree. MU (Danny) was hot for eight days. Anything can happen. That does not give an open ticket to stay as long as you want as an HC. Especially, when other aspects of your coaching are definitely suspect. Anything other than that is accepting mediocracy.

It counts, keep it in perspective, see above.
Have you & Sam gotten together yet and come to an agreement on where Dan sucks? You say his coaching is suspect and Sam says he recruits D2 talent.

Trying to figure out if he’s finishing in the top half of CUSA with D2 talent by overachieving as a coach or if he’s recruiting decent talent and squandering it with suspect coaching. If you two would stop aiming at different targets, you might be able to hit on something.

Trying to figure out if he’s finishing in the top half of CUSA with D2 talent by overachieving as a coach or if he’s recruiting decent talent and squandering it with suspect coaching. If you two would stop aiming at different targets, you might be able to hit on something.
Like I said before I appreciate your insight. To DD's detractors it has to be one of the two? Which is it?

In deference to today's Cancel Culture, are some in this thread anti-Italian???

"I'm saying we win National Championship this year. I don't care what anyone else thinks. We are good enough to make a run like Loyola did. They were close and we are better than them......GO HERD! "

3/21

Loyola-Chi 33

Illinois 24 Halftime

Like I said: Some of you are a couple of Frys short of a Happy Meal!

"I'm saying we win National Championship this year. I don't care what anyone else thinks. We are good enough to make a run like Loyola did. They were close and we are better than them......GO HERD! "

3/21

Loyola-Chi 33

Illinois 24 Halftime

Like I said: Some of you are a couple of Frys short of a Happy Meal!
But are they just getting hot for 8 days??? 😀😀😀

Little longer than that in 2018 when they were in the Final Four.

Let's see if they can make it out of the 2ND round for the second time in four years.

Time to Fire DD!

Little longer than that in 2018 when they were in the Final Four.

Let's see if they can make it out of the 2ND round for the second time in four years.

Time to Fire DD!
And Loyola's coach makes $1+ million per year. Think we could keep a coach around for 3 years after a Final Four appearance?

And Loyola's coach makes $1+ million per year. Think we could keep a coach around for 3 years after a Final Four appearance?

Why not with continued success? Mark Few has been at Zaga since '99. With continued success. Granted Huntington is no Spokane. If MU had a successful coach, had the resources to pay well. I could see it.

ADVERTISEMENT