ADVERTISEMENT

So when is Hamrick getting booted?

Bob Pruett for AD!

giphy.gif
My first thought when I saw this was Philip Fulmer lol.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
The game day experience at Marshall is pretty bad. Yep, we have new scoreboards (full of ads so they're no nicer then the old boards) and he brought back the old marco logo. Cool.

Half the time our atmosphere is awful. And the games where we have a packed house, the facility can't handle it and people don't want to come back. The facility is run down, and there has been no effort to maintain, and modernize the Joan (outside of superficial stuff).

Today AD's have to get creative and that's not MH forte. As long as he is here we will continue to have an awful atmosphere, he will build just enough buildings to keep everyone happy and slowly our fanbase will die off until our attendance rivals Rice and UAB.

But yeah, it's cool he brought back kelly green. 👍

Reactions: Jbabbington
The game day experience at Marshall is pretty bad. Yep, we have new scoreboards (full of ads so they're no nicer then the old boards) and he brought back the old marco logo. Cool.

Half the time our atmosphere is awful. And the games where we have a packed house, the facility can't handle it and people don't want to come back. The facility is run down, and there has been no effort to maintain, and modernize the Joan (outside of superficial stuff).

Today AD's have to get creative and that's not MH forte. As long as he is here we will continue to have an awful atmosphere, he will build just enough buildings to keep everyone happy and slowly our fanbase will die off until our attendance rivals Rice and UAB.

But yeah, it's cool he brought back kelly green. 👍
Who are these innovative AD? Are they just buying an extra T-Shirt gun? What are these expectations that he controls? My understanding is that people say he is a good fundraiser and has built building ... like those are easy tasks ? Again you gloss over the part where the program isn’t on probation or burning money paying 3 coaches? I guess that’s the innovation you are looking for. Again we have SEVERAL programs that have grown under his watch and because of the coaches, facilities and campaigns. I would point to the social media department as an innovative AD . I believe we were 11 in the nation in growth and has have 300% increase. He has brought back some that old swag that people on here complain about by returning to Kelly green and other smaller initiatives.
the only negatives I have heard is that he maybe kept Doc a couple years , and the whole seat-gate but really probably would have done the same since they were only a few years at a time and usually after some success.
please show me these innovative ADs ?

"FOLLOW ME INTO JUNG--" [RECORD SKIP]
"OPENING NOTES OF THUNDERSTR--" [RECORD SKIP]
"JUMPS TO MIDDLE OF THUNDERSTR--"
[RECORD SUDDENLY STOPS]

Anybody who thinks the stadium is "run down" needs to take a tour of football stadiums next fall. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

Anybody who thinks the stadium is not "modern" can please list all of the great innovations in outdoor football stadiums invented since 1991.

Anybody who thinks the stadium is "run down" needs to take a tour of football stadiums next fall. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

Anybody who thinks the stadium is not "modern" can please list all of the great innovations in outdoor football stadiums invented since 1991.

In other words, you're arguing that Marshall's stadium is not a knock on the school, and we all know the advantages our other football facilities have over the rest of the conference.

So if Marshall is superior in facilities, why do you feel winning one championship in 11 seasons is acceptable?

A new stadium would cost between 175-200million. Our budget is probably 1-3 million. Retrofitting would probably cost 100million. Much of the complaining could go to the Stadium Authority, not sure how government decide or if a nest egg is somewhere but don’t see them passing new stadium money anytime soon. The OP was just to say Marshall is not the worst stadium by any means , including those by P5 . some schools don’t even have stadiums (Pitt,USF, etc).

again hammrick has maybe 300,O00 to make some upgrades across all departments. He does more with less. Again while growing the program. If our biggest complaint now is that the graduate school person has to change back and forth between commercial ,Refs, Ad revenues and messagss Than we are sitting fine. Again love to see new Cam Henderson Center or Stadium but those stars are going to need to align. Build the connections and facilities. hammrick and Gilbert compliment each other by also elevating the school with new programs(flight,engineering and pharmacy) , advocating more in Charleston and building up pride. Marshall just happened to be in the wrong place and time during our first golden era.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Hey @The Real SamC I wanted to make sure you see this from Rifle, so I removed the quote function:

"In other words, you're arguing that Marshall's stadium is not a knock on the school, and we all know the advantages our other football facilities have over the rest of the conference.

So if Marshall is superior in facilities, why do you feel winning one championship in 11 seasons is acceptable?"

You walked right into that one, Bro.

Im not opposed to Hamrick. Done a lot of good things. Our stadium is not dated. It will be 25 30 years of replacement costs. Not gonna happen. Sure it needs updates. So does every damn stadium. We have nice stadium and facilities. Period. They are top notch in our conference outside of bleacher places with no concrete. It's not a time to fire Hamrick in my opinion. Baseball needs done. Football could undergo things as a fence around stadium, a little larger concourse to get through, BETTER FOOD! Please! These are minor scuffles in his everyday life.

I'm going back and reading. You all may have more on me with government money. I have no clue. I do know that a bunch of paint will make it look better. Say as in your house? I'm really confused, Paint is not the issue. My opinion. Put a black metal gate around 20th st hell even 3rd avenue. Make it look nice. Take out current galvanized fence open foyer up and put in a lot more food vendors. I sit where its really comfortable to jump in game, go pee, and get a hot dog. I chose this place for that. But willing in todays world to give it all up for openness. Defiantly ya need to break ties with vendors and let what we are used to in the game time experience. Once your in gate at 20th street. I know there are parkers and so forth. But open it up. Come im black gate still have your paying parkers. It's all good. But get rid of fence. Don't forget black iron fence, Adds a nice touch. The parkers could be same. just take tickets at fence. Open up concession area and have fun. Of course we paint it.....Make it family areal or anything to be honest On backside could do same and make family area. Greater game time experience. Just my .02 cents worth

Im not opposed to Hamrick. Done a lot of good things. Our stadium is not dated. It will be 25 30 years of replacement costs. Not gonna happen. Sure it needs updates. So does every damn stadium. We have nice stadium and facilities. Period. They are top notch in our conference outside of bleacher places with no concrete. It's not a time to fire Hamrick in my opinion. Baseball needs done. Football could undergo things as a fence around stadium, a little larger concourse to get through, BETTER FOOD! Please! These are minor scuffles in his everyday life.
Probably the only nicer stadium than ours is FAU and UNT

I don’t even think you can compare FAU and the Joan. Sure, football is played at both, but they really aren’t the same.

The Joan is a lower lever big time football stadium

FAU is an awesome top of the line Texas high school stadium look.

I’m not trying to knock on FAU. It’s just not very stadium like.

very nice. But in a different way.

Power washer and paint brush were invented way before 1991.

Power washer and paint brush were invented way before 1991.

Modern | Definition of Modern at Dictionary.com

Clean | Definition of Clean at Dictionary.com

I was responding to the idiotic idea that our stadium, the 19th NEWEST stadium in Division I-A, is not "modern" and needs "retrofitted". If you build the stadium today, you literally would build EXACTLY the same stadium from the same material, probably many of the parts and pieces are still in production.

This is our stadium for many decades to come.

Now could the place stand a cleaning? Sure. Not the same discussion.

Modern | Definition of Modern at Dictionary.com

Clean | Definition of Clean at Dictionary.com

I was responding to the idiotic idea that our stadium, the 19th NEWEST stadium in Division I-A, is not "modern" and needs "retrofitted". If you build the stadium today, you literally would build EXACTLY the same stadium from the same material, probably many of the parts and pieces are still in production.

This is our stadium for many decades to come.

Now could the place stand a cleaning? Sure. Not the same discussion.

lol you’re the most delusional person I’ve ever seen.

“Marshall is lucky to get a re-tread loser! No one wants this job!!!”

“The Joan is exactly what you would build if you built a new one! It’s perfect!”

Reactions: mlblack16.
Who are these innovative AD? Are they just buying an extra T-Shirt gun? What are these expectations that he controls? My understanding is that people say he is a good fundraiser and has built building ... like those are easy tasks ? Again you gloss over the part where the program isn’t on probation or burning money paying 3 coaches? I guess that’s the innovation you are looking for. Again we have SEVERAL programs that have grown under his watch and because of the coaches, facilities and campaigns. I would point to the social media department as an innovative AD . I believe we were 11 in the nation in growth and has have 300% increase. He has brought back some that old swag that people on here complain about by returning to Kelly green and other smaller initiatives.
the only negatives I have heard is that he maybe kept Doc a couple years , and the whole seat-gate but really probably would have done the same since they were only a few years at a time and usually after some success.
please show me these innovative ADs ?

yeah... I guess I’d just like to go to a game in the cam and be able To sit on the bleachers without there being blood (or some other dried red liquid) all over one of the bleachers.

or maybe go to a football game in a stadium that’s been cleaned or looks like it’s kept up (at all)

Oh and it would be swell if the game day experience wasn’t a 3 hour infomercial for Go-Mart...

Missed that list of all the great innovations in outdoor stadium design since 1991.

1. A concourse area large enough to allow for a capacity crowd to move through.
1A. Adequate room for kiosks to operate with a capacity crowd.
2. Bathrooms that: a. are more modern than a trough b. large enough to accomodate a capacity crowd c. have hot water. d. don't have piss all over the floor from said leaking trough.
3. Concession stands that don't look like they belong in a high school field.
4. Inadequate signage both on the outside and inside of the stadium. This includes sections, directions to sections, seats and rows.
5. There is no "gathering" spot for fans... unless you can get into the big green club. Theres no place for fans not in that to gather (not a huge deal but again you asked for innovations we are seeing in outdoor stadiums).

6. Speakers... routinely are awful.

7. LED Lights that can be programmed to turn on and off and sync up with music.

Then we get to just general maintenance

8. Field turf that doesn't look like it was taken out of my basement post flood (complete with fading letters/numbers)

9. Concrete and bleachers that are not faded from sun/lack of washing over the past 15 years.

10. (I'll get mocked but it still bugs me) field goal posts that are painted. We bought them bright yellow then let them fade until they are now an off yellow/white. (biggest issue ever? No... but how lazy are we that we just let stuff weather and fade?)

11. A scoreboard screen that is not 50% ads. Put ads elsewhere. Use the entire scoreboard screen for score/actual replays of the game. Don't take up half of the board with ads.

Those are just some of the issues with the Joan currently. The fact that you think outdoor stadiums are the same they were in 1991 is amazing to me... I'm not saying we need all of these things, but most modern athletic stadiums are built to last 25 years. In some cases (like ours) they have to last longer because the money is not there to rebuild a new stadium. But, the only way for that to happen is regular maintenance and periodic remodeling. Neither of which Hamrick seems interested in, in the least.

I often wonder how many non P5 stadiums people have visited. Especially after reading this most recent list.

And number 11 is never going to happen until we have a lot more Big Green members. So this is may blaming something on fans, yes. Number 11 is because of "fans"

Reactions: The Real SamC
2. Bathrooms that: a. are more modern than a trough b. large enough to accomodate a capacity crowd c. have hot water. d. don't have piss all over the floor from said leaking trough.
4. Inadequate signage both on the outside and inside of the stadium. This includes sections, directions to sections, seats and rows.
5. There is no "gathering" spot for fans... unless you can get into the big green club. Theres no place for fans not in that to gather (not a huge deal but again you asked for innovations we are seeing in outdoor stadiums).

8. Field turf that doesn't look like it was taken out of my basement post flood (complete with fading letters/numbers)

9. Concrete and bleachers that are not faded from sun/lack of washing over the past 15 years.

10. (I'll get mocked but it still bugs me) field goal posts that are painted. We bought them bright yellow then let them fade until they are now an off yellow/white. (biggest issue ever? No... but how lazy are we that we just let stuff weather and fade?)

11. A scoreboard screen that is not 50% ads. Put ads elsewhere. Use the entire scoreboard screen for score/actual replays of the game. Don't take up half of the board with ads.

Those are just some of the issues with the Joan currently. The fact that you think outdoor stadiums are the same they were in 1991 is amazing to me... I'm not saying we need all of these things, but most modern athletic stadiums are built to last 25 years. In some cases (like ours) they have to last longer because the money is not there to rebuild a new stadium. But, the only way for that to happen is regular maintenance and periodic remodeling. Neither of which Hamrick seems interested in, in the least.
Seriously redsfan that’s a great list. PLEASE send that to the athletic department. Marshall is great on getting new facilities but does a poor job maintaining IMO.

yeah... I guess I’d just like to go to a game in the cam and be able To sit on the bleachers without there being blood (or some other dried red liquid) all over one of the bleachers.

or maybe go to a football game in a stadium that’s been cleaned or looks like it’s kept up (at all)

Oh and it would be swell if the game day experience wasn’t a 3 hour infomercial for Go-Mart...

You do realize those advertisements are what helps keep the costs of tickets down, right?
Advertising isn't free at all, and its all over college football. How many stadiums share a corporate name now? Plenty.
Unless you can find a better way to pay for advertising costs, within the realm of rationality, so you can sit and hear yourself think, I'd love to hear it.

Sorry pal, unless you're willing to turn over several hundred thousand (we all know you won't/can't) much of these will not happen.

If taking a piss in a trough means the soccer team has a FIFA approved field where they can win CUSA in soccer and make an NCAA tournament run, then I'll take the trough.

The turf was replaced a few years ago, not sure what the shelf life of those are, but that is usually replaced when it needs to be, not when you want it to be.

How much of a hit do you want advertising to take just so you don't have to hear a commercial? Serious question, how much does MU football make in a single game off of advertising revenue alone? If you want to take so much off of it, so be it, just make sure you have a plan to offset the cost.

I'm not even sure where else to comment since what you've listed is more of your personal opinion than what opposing fans have said.

Speaking of, all I've seen posted and read about was how good of an experience opposing fans had at MU. They never seemed to complain about anything you listed. Then again, I bet most of them don't go to games with a tape measure and clip board.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Speaking of, all I've seen posted and read about was how good of an experience opposing fans had at MU. They never seemed to complain about anything you listed. Then again, I bet most of them don't go to games with a tape measure and clip board.

That's because most opposing fans are coming from either an FCS or C-USA schools. Out of the other six teams in Marshall's division, Marshall averaged 50%+ more fans at each home game than five of those six.

Let me say that again: Marshall averaged 50%+ more fans at their home games than five of six division foes. For most of our visitors, simply having a warm body in our stadium forces fans to appreciate the atmosphere compared to what they are used to.

I don’t even think you can compare FAU and the Joan. Sure, football is played at both, but they really aren’t the same.

The Joan is a lower lever big time football stadium

FAU is an awesome top of the line Texas high school stadium look.

I’m not trying to knock on FAU. It’s just not very stadium like.

very nice. But in a different way.

FAU: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...hUKEwidmJLN3cnuAhVCQq0KHUC4CM8QoiowAXoECAYQAw

Allen, TX and town of 80,000(when stadium was built) - 60 million when built in 2009, seats 18000 most in stadium over 21k.

Not the biggest(There are a dozen or more larger) or most expensive now. but is where I went to get my COVID vaccine last week and was like damn this is a HS stadium.

If you can't afford paint, cleaning supplies, and janitors, don't take $5 million in government dollars and build an IPF.
Cut off your nose to spite your face approach. I see hammricks approach is more a +b=c. Put the pieces in place that you can. I agree that the stadium is concourse and bathroom could be improved. I believe there was discussion that box seat addition were in demand. I could see us possible parlaying that in with other construction projects. Herd also allow you re-entry so really bathroom and better food options aren’t a concern or where people can congregate. Would be nice to have a field for kids to play on if we do end up buying property. That’s why I proposed retrofitting. Hammrick has painted areas of the Joan added banners and again improve WiFi. Check Steve cotton out if you want some speakers. Try sending some gps coordinates or a map to your blood spot but again you could just move down one seat or take a brush in next time and clean it. Bills and Green Bay ask their fans to shovel snow so feel free to scrub and deduct it from your big green donation. Don’t see us getting those big ticket items for another 20 years but winning games will help us get there.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Not the biggest(There are a dozen or more larger) or most expensive now. but is where I went to get my COVID vaccine last week and was like damn this is a HS stadium.

And if you're lucky, you can go there and not get hit with a chunk of falling concrete or trip on cracked concrete.

Allen is a huge high school (around 5500) and that doesn't include another approximately 2000 at a separate freshman facility.

FAU: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x88d91e042ec48b5b:0x72d27f3f067bfc54!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipO43y0AV7I9LlAofa8782ETFfffvmS-2fCa5mY2=w319-h240-k-no!5sfau football stadium - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipO43y0AV7I9LlAofa8782ETFfffvmS-2fCa5mY2&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwidmJLN3cnuAhVCQq0KHUC4CM8QoiowAXoECAYQAw

Allen, TX and town of 80,000(when stadium was built) - 60 million when built in 2009, seats 18000 most in stadium over 21k.

Check out some HS stadiums in Texas.

That's because most opposing fans are coming from either an FCS or C-USA schools. Out of the other six teams in Marshall's division, Marshall averaged 50%+ more fans at each home game than five of those six.

Let me say that again: Marshall averaged 50%+ more fans at their home games than five of six division foes. For most of our visitors, simply having a warm body in our stadium forces fans to appreciate the atmosphere compared to what they are used to.
I was referencing some of the P5 teams that came here.
I recall reading Purdue fans (among other fans from the P5's) had a great time and those of their fanbase that made it to Huntington, I imagine had been to other Big 10 stadiums so they've seen some pretty nice places.
Compared to many other G5's minus a few, MU does have a decent stadium and could use a facelift.
Oh, and that stat is nuts.

As long as someone else is buying our scoreboards they will use the way that benefits them

There are other places to give ad space rather than in the middle of the scoreboard. But, yes I understand this is part of the game. If the rest of the game wasn’t an infomercial the

You do realize those advertisements are what helps keep the costs of tickets down, right?
Advertising isn't free at all, and its all over college football. How many stadiums share a corporate name now? Plenty.
Unless you can find a better way to pay for advertising costs, within the realm of rationality, so you can sit and hear yourself think, I'd love to hear it.

You know what else helps keep ticket prices down? Selling out. Creating a fan experience unique enough that people can’t miss the game. Also, the less ad space you have... the more you can charge for ads. Obviously there’s a balance point here. But we are not at that point currwnrly

I often wonder how many non P5 stadiums people have visited. Especially after reading this most recent list.

And number 11 is never going to happen until we have a lot more Big Green members. So this is may blaming something on fans, yes. Number 11 is because of "fans"

Yeah,Aaron the guy asked for a list of things wrong with the Joan. I provided one.Obviously not every single one is doable.

Sorry pal, unless you're willing to turn over several hundred thousand (we all know you won't/can't) much of these will not happen.

If taking a piss in a trough means the soccer team has a FIFA approved field where they can win CUSA in soccer and make an NCAA tournament run, then I'll take the trough.

The turf was replaced a few years ago, not sure what the shelf life of those are, but that is usually replaced when it needs to be, not when you want it to be.

How much of a hit do you want advertising to take just so you don't have to hear a commercial? Serious question, how much does MU football make in a single game off of advertising revenue alone? If you want to take so much off of it, so be it, just make sure you have a plan to offset the cost.

I'm not even sure where else to comment since what you've listed is more of your personal opinion than what opposing fans have said.

Cool, glad you’re willing to sacrifice comfort for the soccer team. Most fans aren’t. So when we have the attendance of UAB and Rice... we can beat our chest that we have an awesome IPF, Soccer field and other buildings while you and Aaron and 7 other people are in the stands.

Cut off your nose to spite your face approach. I see hammricks approach is more a +b=c. Put the pieces in place that you can. I agree that the stadium is concourse and bathroom could be improved. I believe there was discussion that box seat addition were in demand. I could see us possible parlaying that in with other construction projects. Herd also allow you re-entry so really bathroom and better food options aren’t a concern or where people can congregate. Would be nice to have a field for kids to play on if we do end up buying property. That’s why I proposed retrofitting. Hammrick has painted areas of the Joan added banners and again improve WiFi. Check Steve cotton out if you want some speakers. Try sending some gps coordinates or a map to your blood spot but again you could just move down one seat or take a brush in next time and clean it. Bills and Green Bay ask their fans to shovel snow so feel free to scrub and deduct it from your big green donation. Don’t see us getting those big ticket items for another 20 years but winning games will help us get there.

Ah Marshall where “paint, power washing, and hot water” are “big ticket items”. Cool.

I see Hamrick’s approach this way. “No one will care how poor of a job I do as long as I can dangle the new shiny object in front of them.” Classic clean the house by throwing everything in the closet... also the strategy of a lot of con men.

Oh and as far as the “clean up the bench yourself” imagine thinking fans should have to clean their seat or move rather than wondering why the athletic department doesn’t care enough about their facility to clean it up. What a joke take.

MU can't always afford to just do projects here and there, seems like Hamrick compiles a list and when the funds are met, has them taken care of.
I think this is part of the problem for MU and if they do something out of the blue, it'll be as a need more than a want, like the turf replacement.

As for Reds, I'm starting to think he has Hemophobia.
At least he finally gave up on the field goal posts.

• Haha
Reactions: redsfan5590
As for Reds, I'm starting to think he has Hemophobia.
At least he finally gave up on the field goal posts.

Yeah... the nerve of some people to want to sit in a clean seat that they paid for... or expect things to be taken care of... I’m asking too much. I’m sorry guys.

You know what else helps keep ticket prices down? Selling out. Creating a fan experience unique enough that people can’t miss the game. Also, the less ad space you have... the more you can charge for ads. Obviously there’s a balance point here. But we are not at that point currwnrly

Selling out, as in, bringing in P5 schools? Hamrick's done that when nobody else did.
MU in its prime, with an NFL HoF WR, wasn't razzle dazzle enough apparently to make the atmosphere enough to sell out games.

How many elements added to the stadium (and arena) were bought individually versus, say, a company buying it and being given rights for advertising for so long till its paid off.

MU doesn't have the deepest of pockets.

Cool, glad you’re willing to sacrifice comfort for the soccer team. Most fans aren’t. So when we have the attendance of UAB and Rice... we can beat our chest that we have an awesome IPF, Soccer field and other buildings while you and Aaron and 7 other people are in the stands.

"Most fans aren't"
Translation:
"I'm not and I'm entitled to something because of it."
Man up and just accept your idea of MU should value is in no way an interest of the AD at this time.
Also, if you hate it so much, go to the porta potty outside the gate, get your hand stamped, and come back in.

As for the rest?
I'm sorry, I thought MU played for championships.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT