ADVERTISEMENT

So when is Hamrick getting booted?

Selling out, as in, bringing in P5 schools? Hamrick's done that when nobody else did.
MU in its prime, with an NFL HoF WR, wasn't razzle dazzle enough apparently to make the atmosphere enough to sell out games.

"Most fans aren't"
Translation:
"I'm not and I'm entitled to something because of it."
Man up and just accept your idea of MU should value is in no way an interest of the AD at this time.
Also, if you hate it so much, go to the porta potty outside the gate, get your hand stamped, and come back in.

As for the rest?
I'm sorry, I thought MU played for championships.

Ok a couple of things... 1. It should be the goal of athletic department to be at 75 -80% of capacity every game regardless of who you are playing. 2. you don’t see how ridiculous it is to suggest the obvious solution to wanting a decent bathroom at the game you paid $30-$40 to attend it to LEAVE the stadium and go to a port-a-potty.

I get it man you’re a super fan and would go to any lengths to watch the Herd play. It’s too bad that there aren’t 40,000 of you out there. And as there are not 40,000 of you out there maybe we want to start catering to the others of us who expect minimal comfort for our $40.

by the way... you never answered my question, why would someone attend a Marshall football game in person?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Ok a couple of things... 1. It should be the goal of athletic department to be at 75 -80% of capacity every game regardless of who you are playing. 2. you don’t see how ridiculous it is to suggest the obvious solution to wanting a decent bathroom at the game you paid $30-$40 to attend it to LEAVE the stadium and go to a port-a-potty.

I get it man you’re a super fan and would go to any lengths to watch the Herd play. It’s too bad that there aren’t 40,000 of you out there. And as there are not 40,000 of you out there maybe we want to start catering to the others of us who expect minimal comfort for our $40.

by the way... you never answered my question, why would someone attend a Marshall football game in person?

Well, to answer your question, it has never been in order to see how the bathrooms are...or if the goal posts are painted, or how many commercials are run during a timeout.
Maybe it was because...of football and a team playing it? Or there wasn't anything else to do?
In either case, its not because of what you're claiming.

Your problem is you think the AD can market MU and whom they play like the Big 10 or SEC does.
No, it doesn't work that way and hasn't for everyone since there's been an ongoing decline in attendance prior to 2020.
MU could win 10 games a season and fans complained at the lack of appeal of CUSA opponents.

MU will never be able to have a/or seasons where concourse and the toilets are actually a problem.
Sure, they can endure 1 maybe 2 games where there's either a sellout or close to it, beyond that, the capacity is never to a point where what you suggest is a problem, and frankly, its really just you complaining about them.
All the sold out games I have been to, minus a line to use the bathroom during quarter changes or halftime, has never resulted in fans complaining about the bathrooms or concourse.

How many fans would rather MU spend money on a coach who can win championships over a bathroom makeover?
At this point you're better off just donating your $40.00 towards an Ace Paint gift card addressed to Hamrick with a note saying how much you despise your life each time you take a piss in the Joan and you won't attend until he takes care of it.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Well, to answer your question, it has never been in order to see how the bathrooms are...or if the goal posts are painted, or how many commercials are run during a timeout.
Maybe it was because...of football and a team playing it? Or there wasn't anything else to do?
In either case, its not because of what you're claiming.

Your problem is you think the AD can market MU and whom they play like the Big 10 or SEC does.
No, it doesn't work that way and hasn't for everyone since there's been an ongoing decline in attendance prior to 2020.
MU could win 10 games a season and fans complained at the lack of appeal of CUSA opponents.

MU will never be able to have a/or seasons where concourse and the toilets are actually a problem.
Sure, they can endure 1 maybe 2 games where there's either a sellout or close to it, beyond that, the capacity is never to a point where what you suggest is a problem, and frankly, its really just you complaining about them.
All the sold out games I have been to, minus a line to use the bathroom during quarter changes or halftime, has never resulted in fans complaining about the bathrooms or concourse.

How many fans would rather MU spend money on a coach who can win championships over a bathroom makeover?
At this point you're better off just donating your $40.00 towards an Ace Paint gift card addressed to Hamrick with a note saying how much you despise your life each time you take a piss in the Joan and you won't attend until he takes care of it.

so people can’t stay at home and watch Marshall football from the comfort of their home? I mean most of our games are available on some sort of media outlet.And that allows you to watch the game from home. So why come to the game?

“MU will never be able to have a season where we fill the stadium”... inspiring. You should be a motivational speaker. I hope our athletic department has higher aspirations.

And if you're lucky, you can go there and not get hit with a chunk of falling concrete or trip on cracked concrete.

Allen is a huge high school (around 5500) and that doesn't include another approximately 2000 at a separate freshman facility.
And if you're lucky, you can go there and not get hit with a chunk of falling concrete or trip on cracked concrete.

Allen is a huge high school (around 5500) and that doesn't include another approximately 2000 at a separate freshman facility.

Not sure if you attempting to degrade FAU, Allen TX, or the Joan in your comment? However,

I walked around a bit after getting my shot. Did not see any concrete issues. And actually if you go to City-data it is a bit over 3600 and a bit over 1300 for freshmen. I am guessing if there was 1 HS in Cabell county would be about the same size. About the same number of people in Cabell County as Allen TX.

I was just trying to point out what another poster said about HS football in TX. The town outside of Houston where I raised my son, had a population of about 35k and football stadium that seated 12k and could fit a bit over 15k. That was almost 1/2 the freakin town.
Seldom was less than standing room only on Friday night.

so people can’t stay at home and watch Marshall football from the comfort of their home? I mean most of our games are available on some sort of media outlet.And that allows you to watch the game from home. So why come to the game?

“MU will never be able to have a season where we fill the stadium”... inspiring. You should be a motivational speaker. I hope our athletic department has higher aspirations.
reds makes a valid point. It’s not about who is the better fan. Here’s the facts: in-person attendance at sporting events is in real trouble. You see a decline at almost every level from Pro to h.s. over the past 5 years, and those numbers are going to continue to be negatively impacted by competition for eye balls. There are SO many choices for viewing content. Video gaming, live sports on every possible source. The young people today aren’t as passionate as my generation, or yours. Same problem - Skip has his boys ready to don their headsets and take on those Koreans in Call of Duty: Moon battle!
Those games consume hours of time, and guys in their 30’s, supposedly “grown up”, married w/kids, holing up w/ their video games practically the entire weekend! No time to venture out.
Older folks have 20 reasons not to make the effort, and are perfectly content to turn the game on ESPN+ in the comfort of their homes. Huff will have an impact, no doubt. But longer term? It ain’t happening.

Not sure if you attempting to degrade FAU, Allen TX, or the Joan in your comment? However,

I walked around a bit after getting my shot. Did not see any concrete issues. And actually if you go to City-data it is a bit over 3600 and a bit over 1300 for freshmen. I am guessing if there was 1 HS in Cabell county would be about the same size. About the same number of people in Cabell County as Allen TX.

I was just trying to point out what another poster said about HS football in TX. The town outside of Houston where I raised my son, had a population of about 35k and football stadium that seated 12k and could fit a bit over 15k. That was almost 1/2 the freakin town.
Seldom was less than standing room only on Friday night.
Dallas: the enthusiasm for high school football in the state of Texas is the biggest outlier in the nation! Bordering on a religious revival held every Friday in the fall. Comparing population alone between Allen, TX and Huntington, WV is like saying Camden Park has the same number of roller coasters as Kings Island, so why don’t more people turn in at the sight of the Happy Clown?

I walked around a bit after getting my shot. Did not see any concrete issues.

It was referencing the awful construction done on the stadium. I went to recruit at the stadium about a year after it had reopened. It closed about two years after it was built due to chunks of falling concrete and major cracks and was a significant cost to fix.

And actually if you go to City-data it is a bit over 3600 and a bit over 1300 for freshmen.

And actually, if you go to a legitimate source such as the Allen ISD webpage, you will see that their high school enrollment is 5391 (close to my 5500 estimate) and their freshman only location is 1806 (close to my 2000 estimate).

I agree with a lot of what people are saying. I don't get bitter with people because they don't like my opinion. I truly think Hamrick has done well with facilities and effort. Baseball for example. Meant well just bad timing. Now we have a new coach with an outlook like no other in our lifetime. It wouldn't be hard to put some muscle in the stadium. We have done before. Ads on billboard/scoreboard are just that. Noticed I mentioned billboard.....It is what it is. Couple major improvements could be restrooms. They are pretty horrible. Other item is concourse. I would remove galvanized fence and put in black metal fence to grow it, which would allow more space and better food opportunities. That is something doable within our budget and make the game experience a lot more fun. Could also include fan area.....kid area....IDK Just some ideas. We don't have to break the bank to make it better. We have awesome stadium. Just a little dated and we catered to food people and marketing schemes over the past. Which has turned our stadium into the biggest cookie cutter type stadium I have ever been to.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I often wonder how many non P5 stadiums people have visited.
I have not only visited several, but I've penetrated them all to the point of deepest intimacy. Due to my eating habits, its rare that I make it all the way through a gameday of any sort without having to pause for a brief constitutional and it's there, within the shallow confines of the stall, that I see most clearly where that particular athletic department stands.

It's by this empirical standard that I declare the Joan to be C-. I exit feeling relieved and relatively comfortable I did not contract Ass Tetanus, but certainly not enriched or enlightened by the experience in any meaningful way.

Sadly, we are in an area where discretionary spending dollars are few for many residents. Knowing that, the competition for those entertainment dollars are at a premium. This is where Marshall fails to see that a football game is an entertainment event, not just a game. It's about the fans and making them want to come back. Until they dial in on that and make it more about the fans, attendance will suffer. Know your demographics. jmho

Reactions: Always The Herd
1. A concourse area large enough to allow for a capacity crowd to move through.
1A. Adequate room for kiosks to operate with a capacity crowd.

A design decision made by others, not something invented since 91. I'm sorry your oh so special constitution objects to being around crowds.
2. Bathrooms that: a. are more modern than a trough b. large enough to accomodate a capacity crowd c. have hot water. d. don't have piss all over the floor from said leaking trough.
Again, HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ELSEWHERE. Our restrooms are fine.
3. Concession stands that don't look like they belong in a high school field.
Ours do not.
4. Inadequate signage both on the outside and inside of the stadium. This includes sections, directions to sections, seats and rows.

What?
5. There is no "gathering" spot for fans... unless you can get into the big green club. Theres no place for fans not in that to gather (not a huge deal but again you asked for innovations we are seeing in outdoor stadiums).

What? Its a football game. Tailgate a little, sit your butt in your seat, watch the Herd, have one more for the road.

6. Speakers... routinely are awful.
Who cares?
7. LED Lights that can be programmed to turn on and off and sync up with music.

No thank you. Just watch the football.

8. Field turf that doesn't look like it was taken out of my basement post flood (complete with fading letters/numbers)

Turf has been replaced many times and the budget provides for its replacement on a schedule. It is currently in great shape and is the state of the art. You don't know what you are talking about.

9. Concrete and bleachers that are not faded from sun/lack of washing over the past 15 years.

You have heard of rain, right?

10. (I'll get mocked but it still bugs me) field goal posts that are painted. We bought them bright yellow then let them fade until they are now an off yellow/white. (biggest issue ever? No... but how lazy are we that we just let stuff weather and fade?)

Mock.
11. A scoreboard screen that is not 50% ads. Put ads elsewhere. Use the entire scoreboard screen for score/actual replays of the game. Don't take up half of the board with ads.

The scoreboard, here and at 99% of places, is provided by IMG in return for the ads. Win-win. Great job. I'll tell you what. Anybody that dares buy an ad, you go right out and buy the opposite. That will show them, supporting the home team and all of that nonsense.

Our stadium is one of the best in the G5, and superior to many in the P5. It is the crown jewel of our program. Yes, it could stand a cleaning and some paint, but the idea that it (among the 20 newest stadiums in I-A) needs "modernized" from that dark pre-historic times of 1991, is ignorant.

Our stadium is one of the best in the G5, and superior to many in the P5.

So you've admitted that our stadium is one of the best in G5. We all know that our indoor is one of the best in G5 (many of our peers don't even have a legit indoor). We all know that our academic requirements to get kids in is as low as possible. We all can agree that our football history over the past 30 years is better than any other C-USA team. Stats show that our fan support (based at least on attendance) is the best in the conference.

That leaves two other reasonable measures of how a program should succeed: location (for recruiting) and budget. We know that our budget - at least in how we pay the HC and assistants - is around the middle of the pack for the conference (possibly higher than that now). We know that our recruiting location gives us immediate access to numerous major cities and recruiting areas. At worst, we are middle of the pack on that.

So if we have advantages over just about everyone else in the conference in four of the six major categories and we are middle of the pack in the other two, why do you feel one conference championship in 11 years is justified, and why do you think that Marshall isn't one of the top jobs in C-USA?

So you've admitted that our stadium is one of the best in G5. We all know that our indoor is one of the best in G5 (many of our peers don't even have a legit indoor). We all know that our academic requirements to get kids in is as low as possible. We all can agree that our football history over the past 30 years is better than any other C-USA team. Stats show that our fan support (based at least on attendance) is the best in the conference.

That leaves two other reasonable measures of how a program should succeed: location (for recruiting) and budget. We know that our budget - at least in how we pay the HC and assistants - is around the middle of the pack for the conference (possibly higher than that now). We know that our recruiting location gives us immediate access to numerous major cities and recruiting areas. At worst, we are middle of the pack on that.

So if we have advantages over just about everyone else in the conference in four of the six major categories and we are middle of the pack in the other two, why do you feel one conference championship in 11 years is justified, and why do you think that Marshall isn't one of the top jobs in C-USA?
Oh, now you done did it.....brace for impact!!

Given how terrible CUSA is presented on TV and how little exposure they get, I'd say going to games would be more warranted.

So if I spoke of rationality in terms of MU through saying they should focus on spending money where they can win titles,

"My pee pee gets nervous when I use the stadium bathrooms, because of this and some mysterious stain on the bleachers in the cam, is the reason Hamrick hasn't done a good job as AD..."
What does that say about your support?

Give it a rest Karen. Nobody cares about your bathroom problem or your fear of blood.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
GHMY - when you say “nobody cares”: unless you have spent a lot of do re mi on a in-depth survey of the entire Herd fan base - keep you mouth off of my opinions.....but definitely keep your mouth off of the shitters in the Joan - asstitus is nothing to joke about!!

A design decision made by others, not something invented since 91. I'm sorry your oh so special constitution objects to being around crowds.

Again, HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ELSEWHERE. Our restrooms are fine.

Ours do not.

What?

What? Its a football game. Tailgate a little, sit your butt in your seat, watch the Herd, have one more for the road.

Who cares?

No thank you. Just watch the football.

Turf has been replaced many times and the budget provides for its replacement on a schedule. It is currently in great shape and is the state of the art. You don't know what you are talking about.

You have heard of rain, right?

Mock.

The scoreboard, here and at 99% of places, is provided by IMG in return for the ads. Win-win. Great job. I'll tell you what. Anybody that dares buy an ad, you go right out and buy the opposite. That will show them, supporting the home team and all of that nonsense.

Our stadium is one of the best in the G5, and superior to many in the P5. It is the crown jewel of our program. Yes, it could stand a cleaning and some paint, but the idea that it (among the 20 newest stadiums in I-A) needs "modernized" from that dark pre-historic times of 1991, is ignorant.
One of the very few times I agree with Sam. The Joan suits me just fine. My only objection is the concourse area.

The Real Sam C said:

“Our stadium is one of the best in the G5, and superior to many in the P5. It is the crown jewel of our program. Yes, it could stand a cleaning and some paint, but the idea that it (among the 20 newest stadiums in I-A) needs "modernized" from that dark pre-historic times of 1991, is ignorant.”

Sam! I didn’t realize you traveled the country, grading the construction quality, seating chart to evaluate optimal fan viewing rating, amenities including vendor area, concourse design, crowd flow and, of course the (drumroll) cleanliness & gravity flow of the urinals. Pray, tell us the 5 P5 stadiums that fall below the Joan? What’s that? You haven’t attended a college football game away from 3rd Avenue in 10 years (or more)?
Then how can you pontificate about something you know nothing about?

This thread made me think back to some of our athletic directors since I have been following MU sports : Whitey Wilson, Eddie Barrett, Joe Mc Mullen, David Brain, Lee Moon, Lance West, Bob Marcum.
Not really any who stood out. I do remember Barrett wanted to build a domed stadium that glowed green after victories, and Marcum was hated by students because he changed the ticket policy.

This thread made me think back to some of our athletic directors since I have been following MU sports : Whitey Wilson, Eddie Barrett, Joe Mc Mullen, David Brain, Lee Moon, Lance West, Bob Marcum.
Not really any who stood out. I do remember Barrett wanted to build a domed stadium that glowed green after victories, and Marcum was hated by students because he changed the ticket policy.
I’d say Braine was very good and Lynn Snyder not bad. Hamrick has been good.
the others were mediocre or bad.

KO may have been the worst, all things considered.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Success for an AD is and always will be winning programs. We do not have winning programs. If you do all things right, you can have winning programs. Not just FB and BB but all sports and facilities. You can’t attract quality athletes, coaches or fans if you don’t do things right.

Hammick has done a good job IMO making lemonade out of lemons. Limited resources .
-made sure the program was clean(see Baylor,Penn State)
-updated facilities(IPF,Soccer and softball) and future baseball( clearly COVID is going to cause a delay, also allows us to play in Charleston, helping community).
- game day experience- better WiFi, new score boards , bring back Kelly Green and Marco logos. stadium store. Let’s not forget that Major teams have come out to Huntington. I would reckon a good amount of 10 ten attendance games record falls under him.
-Soccer, Baseball and Softball have all climbed in ranking prestige in recent years.
-at least has made us competitive in Basketball and Football has returned without getting bogged down in firing coaches paying money we don’t need to spend on old contracts.
How in the world has MH “made us competitive” in any sport as you state? He is not a coach of any of our teams.

Reactions: captain jb22
How in the world has MH “made us competitive” in any sport as you state? He is not a coach of any of our teams.
I tend to believe in the if you build it they will come philosophy. He hasn’t thrown wasteful money chasing a revolving door of coaches. He has build state of the art facilities that I believe help recruit players thus helping the competitive advantage. In the last decade we have softball, basketball,soccer, football and baseball make progress all while make sure we don’t get hit with sanctions or scandals. All that leads to positive results. I also tend to believe that if we are to look for a better conference that our overall portfolio of teams and facilities play into that decision. Yes hammrick isn’t coaching but his influence has led to success.

Isn't Hamrick's contract up too? It seems like he isn't in control anymore so might as well move on.
I heard in early December that Doc and Mike would not be back next year. The President wanted to go in a different direction with the football program. I was told he just wants more excitement around the program. The BOG and Gov were brought on board because the President was aware of Doc's local connections and wanted political cover(smart move on his part). Mike was not on board with the change(and also seemed to be playing favorites with Doc and Dan). Mike really did handled the presser with Hunt kinda bad. I think Mike picked the wrong horse, so unless something has changed recently he will be gone as well.

Reactions: mlblack16.
that is what I hear as well... Today, (Friday) is to be the day. I guess we will see if it is true in a few hours
I thought he would finish out the school year but like I have said it was told to me in December that Mike's time was short

Guys Mike Has done a better job than any other AD we have had be honest about it.He has also improved our facilities also. Maybe with the exception of our bathrooms in the Joan. Other wise I believe He has done a teriffic job.
Absolutely. To me, this is Jerome getting “his” guys in those 2 spots. Only logical reason....

I thought he would finish out the school year but like I have said it was told to me in December that Mike's time was short
obviously he is paid through June regardless. I had always expected that they would wait until after the spring game to make the announcement to keep the light on football

Reactions: oldeherd
ADVERTISEMENT