ADVERTISEMENT

Some negative US Olympic news...

KyMUfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2020
So as not to taint the positive US Olympic news thread let's look at some disappointments even though we have been told it's ALL positive by the resident know-it-all...

World #2 Coco Gauff was looking to win three medals...

Shut out instead...

Disappointing men's swim team blaming the pool...

Men's soccer suffers a disappointing loss...

US rower has a disappointing Tinder experience...

And Olympic legend Michael Johnson, and others, are disappointed in the flag bearer selection.

But yeah, I stand corrected... NOT!

In another disappointment for the American swim team, Simone Manuel was eliminated in the preliminaries of the 50-meter freestyle at the Paris Olympics on Saturday.

The United States went into the next-to-last day of the competition with 21 medals but only four golds, a performance that has fallen short of expectations for the world's dominant swim nation.

Several high-profile swimmers have failed to even make the finals in some of their best events.

Caeleb Dressel, a star of the Tokyo Olympics with five gold medals, was knocked out in the semis of the 100 butterfly and broke down in tears after leaving the deck.

Ryan Murphy, a longtime stalwart in the backstroke, managed a bronze in the 100 back and was knocked out in the semis of the 200 -- far short of his goal to reclaim the titles he swept at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

even though we have been told it's ALL positive by the resident know-it-all...

But yeah, I stand corrected... NOT!
Moron, the U.S., by far, has the most overall medals. By far, the U.S. has the most silvers. By far, the U.S. has the most bronzes.

The U.S. is currently in second for golds. Considering all of that, they are dominating the games.

2016 Summer Olympics medal count with Russia earning 56 medals. US leads in gold and total medal counts.

original-2721112-4.jpg

2020 Summer Olympics medal count with Russia earning 71 medals. US leads in gold and total medal counts.

screen-shot-2021-08-11-at-44802-pm.png

With the absence of Russia in 2024 71 medals (20 golds) are up for grabs. It seems the US is not capitalizing on those openings.

With the absence of Russia in 2024 71 medals (20 golds) are up for grabs. It seems the US is not capitalizing on those openings.
At this point of being on the board, you do realize that you aren't bright, right? I'm just making sure you have at least been able to learn that.

So in 2020, the U.S. had one more gold than the next closest country and 25 more medals than the next closest? Well, currently, with the games not even half over, the U.S. has 20 more medals than the next closest and are in second place in golds, just two behind China.

Tell us, moron, with track-and-field being the biggest "sport" with the majority left, how many gold medals do you think China will get in those events? Do you think Tyrone Bigum or Chiang Kai-shek is more likely to win golds in T&F?

"Gracenote’s VMT forecast projects the United States to win the most medals overall at Paris 2024 (112). If Team USA meets this expectation, it would mark the team’s eighth successive placement at the top of the final Summer Games medal table."

"China is projected to finish second on total medals but could challenge the United States for first place on gold medals. The 86 medals currently forecast for China would be three fewer than the country’s total of 89 in Tokyo three years ago. The 34 gold medals forecast would be four down on China’s total of 38 three years ago."

In 2016 the US won 121 medals.

In 2020 the US won 113 medals.

In 2024 the US is projected to win 112 medals.

In 2024 there are 71 open medals as a result of Russia's absence yet the US is projected to win 1 less medal than 2020 and 9 than 2016.

Hmmm... Even a moron should be able to see a trend...

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
Another projected gold, another silver medal won...

"Julien Alfred delivered a brilliant gun-to-tape performance to win the women's 100 meters final Saturday and claim Saint Lucia's first Olympic medal, with world champion and race favorite Sha'Carri Richardson of the United States finishing second."

Thankfully for Simone Biles. And some swimming. Not sure we are really dominating the Olympics.

It’s really not a fun way to watch sports to go in with the expectation being that you have to win to meet expectations and anything else is failure. Like, the athletes should think that way, but as a fan… that’s just not fun. US swim is a failure for “only” getting two gold medals?

We’re 4.2% of the world population. We massively outperform that in medals no matter how you slice it. Which given our standard of living we should, but if we get the second most golds behind a country with 4x our population and we get way more total medals than them…. Yeah, that’s success.

It’s really not a fun way to watch sports to go in with the expectation being that you have to win to meet expectations and anything else is failure. Like, the athletes should think that way, but as a fan… that’s just not fun. US swim is a failure for “only” getting two gold medals?

We’re 4.2% of the world population. We massively outperform that in medals no matter how you slice it. Which given our standard of living we should, but if we get the second most golds behind a country with 4x our population and we get way more total medals than them…. Yeah, that’s success.

So should we just give participation medals instead? Thankfully we are past the gladiator stage of fighting to the death... In reality it should be somewhere in the middle. Competition and the will to win is the reason we keep score and award trophies. But I do think it has gotten out of hand how we measure success.

I've got an @$$ for a brother-in-law that will say all second place is the first place loser. I've gotten in his face when he says this and say you just called a world class athlete that lost a race by .0001 of a second - yeah, that's a real loser...

The American Century seems to be sadly coming to an end. We are losing our edge in many aspects for various reasons. In education, quality of life and yes even athletics.

The original thread was meant to highlight the Olympic experience and spirit in the midst of a controversial opening ceremony and declining interest and viewership in the US. Then another @$$ tried to totally misrepresent everything I posted so I started this thread as a parody, or Lampoon if you will...

Our medal count and lead in gold slipped from 2016 to 2020 and may slip again in 2024, especially factoring in the absence of Russian athletes and their 71 medals.

It's apparent the aforementioned @$$ doesn't understand analytics. Just attempting to baseline these numbers for later analysis.

I think it is telling how our world adversaries have politicized the Olympics - Germany in 1936, USSR and East Germany during the Cold War and now China. We prevailed during the first two. I'm afraid we are going to face more challenges from China in the near future.

. Not sure we are really dominating the Olympics.
Not sure? So you must be positive then, because that is the only logical conclusion.

There are 206 countries competing for 329 medals. The U.S. will get about 35% of the medals yet represent less than one-half of one percent of countries. Couple that with the fact that the U.S. has 50% more medals than the next closest country, and it’s absolute domination

In 2020 the US won 113 medals.

In 2024 the US is projected to win 112 medals.
This is too advanced for you, but the 2020 Olympics also had 10 more events. If the U.S. captures just 20% of all medals, which they are way ahead of, then they will have more medals with fewer events.

Too many stupid events these days. I hate subjective sports as a general rule, but at least some are traditional like gymnastics, but all these X game sports are just goofy. I don’t want to watch grown men on little scooters and bmx bikes doing flips. It’s not a circus.

In 2016 there were 306 gold and 972 total medals awarded. The US had 46 and 121 respectively or 15.03% and 12.45%.

Backing off the Russian 19 gold and 56 total the US % increases to 16.03% and 13.21%.

In 2020 there were 340 gold and 1,080 total medals awarded. The US had 39 and 113 respectively or 11.47% and 10.46%.

Backing off the Russian 20 gold and 71 total the US % increases to 12.19% and 11.20%.

Statistically the US Olympic performance had decreased in 2020 from 2016.

There are 329 medal events in 2024 with 142 awarded thus far - 43.16% complete.

To date the US has 14 gold for 9.86% and 61 total medals for 13.74%. It is nowhere near 20%.

With a little less than half of the 2024 Summer Olympics completed the US is trending at approximately 65% of 2016 levels in gold and 110% in total medals.

I've got an @$$ for a brother-in-law that will say all second place is the first place loser. I've gotten in his face
I bet you are just as intimidating as red-on-the-head when he tries getting in people's face.

The original thread was meant to highlight the Olympic experience and spirit in the midst of a controversial opening ceremony and declining interest and viewership in the US. Then another @$$ tried to totally misrepresent everything I posted so I started this thread as a parody, or Lampoon if you will...
No, I didn't misrepresent it. It was a stupid thread to start as if there just a swarm of negative news or something for the U.S., which wasn't the case.

Our medal count and lead in gold slipped from 2016 to 2020 and may slip again in 2024, especially factoring in the absence of Russian athletes and their 71 medals.

It's apparent the aforementioned @$$ doesn't understand analytics. Just attempting to baseline these numbers for later analysis.
So your argument is based on the overall medal count "may slip" in 2024? Great position to take, moron.

With a little less than half of the 2024 Summer Olympics completed the US is trending at approximately 65% of 2016 levels in gold and 110% in total medals.
So again, your argument is based on the U.S. trending 110% compared to last year and claiming that is a slip? Great position to take, moron.

To date the US has 14 gold for 9.86% and 61 total medals for 13.74%. It is nowhere near 20%.
Wait: You really are dumb enough to count some events (basketball, team gymnastics, etc.), where it is impossible to win more than one medal, has three potential overall medal opportunities? And you want to talk about statistical analysis? Christ.

Too many stupid events these days. I hate subjective sports as a general rule, but at least some are traditional like gymnastics, but all these X game sports are just goofy. I don’t want to watch grown men on little scooters and bmx bikes doing flips. It’s not a circus.
This is going to sound crazy but have you tried not watching the stuff you don’t want to and just watching the stuff you do?

The U.S. now has the most golds and has the highest overall medal total by a 56% lead over the next closest country. Absolute domination.

Reactions: herdfan429
Should probably get rid of golf as well.

Today the US has 19 of 162 gold for 11.73% and 71 of 515 total medals for 13.79%. Fewer gold but more total medal % than 2016 which was a recent high water mark.

Still nowhere near 35%, or even 20%, of total medals won...

Today the US has 19 of 162 gold for 11.73% and 71 of 515 total medals for 13.79%. Fewer gold but more total medal % than 2016 which was a recent high water mark.

I understand you’re desperate for any little thing possible to save face, but let’s not act like you didn’t miss this important logic:

Wait: You really are dumb enough to count some events (basketball, team gymnastics, etc.), where it is impossible to win more than one medal, has three potential overall medal opportunities? And you want to talk about statistical analysis? Christ.

Domination. What the Americans are doing in the Olympics is sheer domination. There is no other country even close.

Not sure? So you must be positive then, because that is the only logical conclusion.

There are 206 countries competing for 329 medals. The U.S. will get about 35% of the medals yet represent less than one-half of one percent of countries. Couple that with the fact that the U.S. has 50% more medals than the next closest country, and it’s absolute domination
Far be it for me to correct the self-exalted one, but I believe it should have been stated that there are 206 countries competing for medals in 329 events, not competing for 329 medals. We're well past 329 medals already in these olympics.

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88 and KyMUfan
Far be it for me to correct the self-exalted one, but I believe it should have been stated that there are 206 countries competing for medals in 329 events, not competing for 329 medals. We're well past 329 medals already in these olympics.
The sun is not out. How the fvck are you still around, shadow?

Here is some negative Olympic news: KYJelly sees more vag on NBC's Olympics broadcast than he has seen in the last 30 years in person.

Today the US has 21 of 182 gold for 11.54% and 79 of 575 total medals for 13.74%. Fewer gold but more total medal % than 2016 which was a recent high water mark. Small % loss from yesterday.

Today the US has 21 of 182 gold for 11.54% and 79 of 575 total medals for 13.74%. Fewer gold but more total medal % than 2016 which was a recent high water mark. Small % loss from yesterday.

we suck again GIF

Fewer gold but more total medal % than 2016 which was a recent high water mark.

This will be the 8th straight Summer Olympics the US wins the total medal count.

The Russians boycotted 1984 (which only shows they were as stupid as we were in 1980) which led to the US winning 83 of 226 gold for 36.73% and 174 of 688 total medals for 25.29% to put things in perspective.

This will be the 8th straight Summer Olympics the US wins the total medal count.

The Russians boycotted 1984 (which only shows they were as stupid as we were in 1980) which led to the US winning 83 of 226 gold for 36.73% and 174 of 688 total medals for 25.29% to put things in perspective.
The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Today the US has 24 of 195 gold for 12.31% and 86 of 622 total medals for 13.83%. Fewer gold but more total medal % than 2016 which was a recent high water mark. Small % gain from yesterday.

Still nowhere near 35%, or even 20%, of total medals won... Running out of time to hit the 35%...

There are 206 countries competing for 329 medals. The U.S. will get about 35% of the medals

Wait... Since we have been told there are only 329 medals and the US already has 86 total medals we are at 26.14%... Maybe we can get to 35% using this kind of math...

Today the US has 24 of 195 gold for 12.31% and 86 of 622 total medals for 13.83%. Fewer gold but more total medal % than 2016 which was a recent high water mark. Small % gain from yesterday.

Still nowhere near 35%, or even 20%, of total medals won... Running out of time to hit the 35%...

Wait... Since we have been told there are only 329 medals and the US already has 86 total medals we are at 26.14%... Maybe we can get to 35% using this kind of math...
Still running from your logic error that I pointed out multiple times, huh?

The U.S. has the most gold. They have the most silver. They have the most bronze. Domination.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT