ADVERTISEMENT

Some Observations from afar!

herdinkl

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hi - I am a Marshall grad of 1988 - who enjoys the Herd Nation board but not an active poster. I am currently based in London, England and was extremely thrilled to get this game and the CUSA Championship game live on ESPN in Europe! Some observations I had watching the game last night!

1. We won all 4 facets of the game - Offense, Defense, ST and Coaching. Some of our fans are quck to point out when we are outcoached in some games! Here we clearly outcoached NIU. Except for a few attempts at trick plays the NIU team was hard-pressed to execute their game plan. Great job to Holiday and his coaching staff!!!!

Loved the fact that NIU coaches talked of their gameplan of doing a lot of shifting in the first half, only to play smash-mouth football in 2nd and pound the other team. Well neither worked.

Their HC seemed even more sore of the loss at the end than his team - and just did a quick handshake with Doc. Obviously the spirit of sportsmanship and leading by example is not his strength.

2. Seniors Dominated the Stats - But Positives for Underclassmen too - Cato, Holmes, Shuler, Hewitt dominated the game. But it was good to see guys like Thompson, Jean-Louis, Foster and McManus show our future.

3. The exposure these last few games has given us on ESPN does not hurt.... I was watching the game with some of our friends who are English. I told them that we have players from Norway and Sweden on our team. They were surprised. Imagine how cool it is for the foreign players families to watch Marshall play live on International TV???? I am sure we earned lot more fans. Certainly positive for recruiting (I hope) as well.

4. Last week we lost 2 special members of the Herd family - Chad's Dad and later President Kopp. The amount that both these gentlemen sowed into Marshall Athletics is immense.

Chad's Dad for raising a fine young man, and supporting him as he went to Marshall and really showing what a role model Dad should be for young men.

President Kopp for all he has done for Marshall as an Unviersity and his beyond the call of duty support for Marshall Athletics. The fact that some recruits told the most memorable part of their visit was meeting the University President shows the mark he left on potential students even before they committed. His commitment to doing a massive upgrade of our facilities is going to help the current and future Marshall students.

Thanks to both you Gentlemen - I am sure you are watched the game from above and cheered on the Herd as loudly as you did when on earth!

Merry X'mas
This post was edited on 12/24 6:51 AM by herdinkl

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News