ADVERTISEMENT

Someone needs to revive Marshall Football

At this point it is on the leadership at whatever that level it is to revive Marshall Football. It is their job and their duty to do so. If they won't go above them or remove them as well. I am to that point. The program is stale and stagnant. I just sat in the rain and watched Marshall, with a chance to win the division, lose to a team playing in a glorified high school stadium that just a few years ago didn't even have a program. In the near past that same team that just beat Marshall was playing the likes of Campbell(when they were non scholarship), Elon, other lower divisions and they were losing to them or struggling against them. The same Marshall program that has played football much longe and Heisman candidates, Top 10 ranking, many great players and championships.

It is Mike Hamrick's job to ensure the program is where it should be and it is not. If Mike Hamrick won't take care of it then it is Jerome Gilbert's job to do it or mandate Mike Hamrick to do it. If Gilbert won't do it, then it is the Board of Regents job to ensure it. The program is at that point.

We may get to a point that it is too far gone and we slip into eternal stagnation. The pseudo nepotism with the football program needs to end. We need a change at the top and that should happen now. If Mike Hamrick won't do it then he can go to for all I care. There are other athletic directors and football coaches out there.

The time has come to move on.
Wasn't he given multiple extensions. not just that extension? Next, he has coached for a long time. He is obviously known in the coaching ranks. He was never a coordinator even after coaching for a long time. He wasn't going anywhere and the extensions we so long and deep that it appears to have put the university in a financial bind.

Sorry, I'll be responding to 2 of your posts.

The problem with your initial post is, what sort of expectations will the fanbase realistically have if Hamrick does move onward?

Everything ever proposed has been met with criticism and that absolutely kills any positive thing MU does.

Despite they being a small contingent of dumbasses, wvu fans literally search for anything positive.
When they got curbstomped by LSU, they forgot the final score...being demolished on their home field, they talked about the statistics of the offense.
They lost to Bama, all they talked about was the score of "only losing by 10 points!!!" and how great they played.
Maybe thats the press being a bunch of wvu d*cklickers, but even fans who are barely literate, find things to embrace with that program.

MU its constantly finding things wrong with it. Not sure if its the depressed folks in this region or what, but anything positive seems to be spun to be negative.

Hell, it took demolishing Louisiana Tech for a thread complaining about the atmosphere (granted, we all know it can be fixed, but it gets dug up when MU wins a very big game). Does anyone think thats going to help the program?

It was argued MU should have been penalized for our kicker taking kicks after the whistle blew against WKU...and yes, there is a case for it, but thats BY FANS OF THE OTHER TEAM, NOT THEIR OWN!!!
I swear, if what happened on that non PI call during the Saints/Rams game last post-season, had happened against someone MU was playing, MU fans would actually discredit the win and I wouldn't be surprised if a few would write the officials saying, "you made the wrong call."
Vs.
Fans of the Rams saying, "screw it, they blew the call. We win. If he dies, he dies." Or wvu.

Even if there is truth to it, it doesn't help the program if everyone's always pointing out the baggage of it.

Some on this board would sell their wives and daughters to sex slave traders if it meant they could win an argument on here...they'll post "I hope I'm wrong" posts and then not admit they were wrong.
A few did when I called them out on it, but plenty doubted MU after MTSU.

Lets just say IF MU were granted inclusion into the AAC...and Hamrick said, we are hiring _____, who is a HC everyone is on board with.

But it required everyone to increase paying BG donations (and I'll not ask specifics, your economic contributions are your own) 300% minimum to do so.

How many of you would do it? How many of you would doubt MU's ability to compete despite knowing such an increase would give MU the funding?
How many of you would proclaim "lets just go back to the MAC, so we can pretend to give a crap about Eastern Michiga as much as we do about ODU."

I think Hamrick, for all his faults, has actually done well on what he says he's actually going to do. He built an IPF, he improved MU's sports medicine and student athlete footprint, he's secured funds to build a baseball facility...he has actually set a date to open it.

But if challenged, would MU fans do the same? Or are all these ideas just wishful thinking...online posters enjoying the mere idea of something as opposed to something actually being done...by them.

Ok to post 2.

Can you prove he wasn't approached by others?
I read he was given an extension to 2021 from the end of the 2014 season.
So a staffer having worked under Meyer and Rodriguez wasn't known? lol, ok.
Financial bind? We pay less than some conference mates pay...if thats the case, forget getting anyone who'll stay for more than a year.

The problem with your initial post is, what sort of expectations will the fanbase realistically have if Hamrick does move onward?

Everything ever proposed has been met with criticism and that absolutely kills any positive thing MU does.

Despite they being a small contingent of dumbasses, wvu fans literally search for anything positive.
When they got curbstomped by LSU, they forgot the final score...being demolished on their home field, they talked about the statistics of the offense.
They lost to Bama, all they talked about was the score of "only losing by 10 points!!!" and how great they played.
Maybe thats the press being a bunch of wvu d*cklickers, but even fans who are barely literate, find things to embrace with that program.

MU its constantly finding things wrong with it. Not sure if its the depressed folks in this region or what, but anything positive seems to be spun to be negative.

Hell, it took demolishing Louisiana Tech for a thread complaining about the atmosphere (granted, we all know it can be fixed, but it gets dug up when MU wins a very big game). Does anyone think thats going to help the program?

It was argued MU should have been penalized for our kicker taking kicks after the whistle blew against WKU...and yes, there is a case for it, but thats BY FANS OF THE OTHER TEAM, NOT THEIR OWN!!!
I swear, if what happened on that non PI call during the Saints/Rams game last post-season, had happened against someone MU was playing, MU fans would actually discredit the win and I wouldn't be surprised if a few would write the officials saying, "you made the wrong call."
Vs.
Fans of the Rams saying, "screw it, they blew the call. We win. If he dies, he dies." Or wvu.

Even if there is truth to it, it doesn't help the program if everyone's always pointing out the baggage of it.

Some on this board would sell their wives and daughters to sex slave traders if it meant they could win an argument on here...they'll post "I hope I'm wrong" posts and then not admit they were wrong.

Lets just say IF MU were granted inclusion into the AAC...and Hamrick said, we are hiring _____, who is a HC everyone is on board with.

But it required everyone to increase paying BG donations (and I'll not ask specifics, your economic contributions are your own) 300% minimum to do so.

How many of you would do it? How many of you would doubt MU's ability to compete despite knowing such an increase would give MU the funding?
How many of you would proclaim "lets just go back to the MAC, so we can pretend to give a crap about Eastern Michiga as much as we do about ODU."

I think Hamrick, for all his faults, has actually done well on what he says he's actually going to do. He built an IPF, he improved MU's sports medicine and student athlete footprint, he's secured funds to build a baseball facility...he has actually set a date to open it.

But if challenged, would MU fans do the same? Or are all these ideas just wishful thinking...online posters enjoying the mere idea of something as opposed to something actually being done...by them.

Ok to post 2.

Financial bind? We pay less than some conference mates pay...if thats the case, forget getting anyone who'll stay for more than a year.

I am not even going to address your first part of post 1. wvu has a very delusional fanbase. Not going to go there.

Post 2. I am going by the odds. He was a lifelong assistant and never a coordinator. His name was never really mentioned for any job along the way. The press and media always throw names out for jobs. His has never been other than a slight rumor about Pitt which was never more than even a real sniff or valid rumor. Don't you think his name would have surfaced somewhere along the way he was valued as a candidate for a job? Whether he wanted it out not, things are leaked or hell even made up and his name is never, ever mentioned for any job. There is a reason in my opinion.

2014 to 2021 is 7 years and at $800,000 a year that is $3.5 million or so. Now, I know those things get negotiated if they have to come to fruition, but that is an economic exposure the university should have never been put it in. That is bad business and borderline fraud, waste, and abuse or ineptness. Especially for a coach that was not a hot commodity. That's on the AD. He locked his buddy in and made it so it would be tough to get him out and here we are.

We pay well enough and we likely could get to a million. For $800,000 we can find better that we have now.

Maybe someone could convince Chad Pennington, Randy Moss, or Troy Brown to get involved to resurrect Marshall football the way Eric Dickerson did for SMU.

Post 2. I am going by the odds. He was a lifelong assistant and never a coordinator. His name was never really mentioned for any job along the way. The press and media always throw names out for jobs. His has never been other than a slight rumor about Pitt which was never more than even a real sniff or valid rumor. Don't you think his name would have surfaced somewhere along the way he was valued as a candidate for a job? Whether he wanted it out not, things are leaked or hell even made up and his name is never, ever mentioned for any job. There is a reason in my opinion.

Once more, can't be proven, only odds and speculation.
Just because a coach is offered a job elsewhere, doesn't mean he has to take it.
I don't think Doc had any intention to leave MU unless a select few jobs opened up.
He had been rumored to take over the wvu job and passed over for...well...debatable better candidate.

As for 1,
Yeah, they are delusional as hell, but that delusion brings them to games and despite the steamy turds that program drops on their farcical hopes of the CFP, they keep finding reasons to come back.

The one that closes out the window and closes out what you are looking at. Part of the internet engine you are using(ie google chromes, internet explorer, etc.) .

Weird, I've made the same suggestion to you on several occasions.

In the Internet age it would be extremely rare for a coach to be a serious candidate and his name not leak out somehow. Generally it's his agent doing the leaking to try and create additional interest and get a price up.

Reactions: SuperAnjario
How many of those went 30 years without anyone seeing the requisite potential to lead a program?

He spent many of those years with his sights directly set on being named the WVU Head Coach when Don retired. Who knows how much impact that had on his chances of being named a head coach for another program.

I wonder how many tens of millions of dollars are spent in the P5 to even have a goal of 7-8 wins a season.

So you're referencing UC and Boise and seem to forget the improvements between then and last week?
Charlotte was an abomination, no doubt, but its statements like yours that will NEVER progress a program positively.
If you really have been living in that time of the season still, then seriously, you really have issues.
LOL, this post comes a week after and is about losing to a team MU should have and could have beaten with absolute ease. My post pointed out the issues early in the season that came to light once again against Charlotte. You have to have a team that can maintain focus so you can push yourself to the championship game.

He spent many of those years with his sights directly set on being named the WVU Head Coach when Don retired. Who knows how much impact that had on his chances of being named a head coach for another program.

Stop making excuses for him, it's pathetic. The reality is, John wanted a HC job so badly, he took the first one ever offered, which was at the school he spent decades looking down on.

Would he have preferred to be at WVu? Oh, no doubt he would have, and probably was/is his dream job. But you guys are under the delusional that coaches think like fans when it comes to accepting or turning down jobs. The loyalty is nowhere near what you think, at all. He would not have ignored any and every opportunity for decades, all for the hope that one day he could be coach at WVu.

Stop making excuses for him, it's pathetic. The reality is, John wanted a HC job so badly, he took the first one ever offered, which was at the school he spent decades looking down on.

Would he have preferred to be at WVu? Oh, no doubt he would have, and probably was/is his dream job. But you guys are under the delusional that coaches think like fans when it comes to accepting or turning down jobs. The loyalty is nowhere near what you think, at all. He would not have ignored any and every opportunity for decades, all for the hope that one day he could be coach at WVu.
Doc was in line to get that job after Rich left but the alums went nuts. He still wants that job but Doc has done nothing to be liked by the alums and fans. He always thought his dad being a judge was all he needed. Well, it helped get his foot in the door and be a top candidate but the WVU alums have seen Doc's coach speak for years. Its also my impression he has done very little to reach out to high school coaches in WV and build relationships. He had the perfect job to build relationships in WV and honestly he has done a poor job.

Last edited:
Sam for the umpteenth time, DD won a CUSA championship and a first round NCAA game(first time in school history) with a starting lineup of 3 West Virginians, a Wva 6th man, and other Wvans on bench. Final 32, not MEC.

Reactions: 19MU88

Vs.

Ok to post 2.

Post of the year. Nothing to add. Great job.

I am not even going to address your first part of post 1. wvu has a very delusional fanbase. Not going to go there.

2014 to 2021 is 7 years and at $800,000 a year that is $3.5 million or so. Now, I know those things get negotiated if they have to come to fruition, but that is an economic exposure the university should have never been put it in. That is bad business and borderline fraud, waste, and abuse or ineptness. Especially for a coach that was not a hot commodity. That's on the AD. He locked his buddy in and made it so it would be tough to get him out and here we are.

We pay well enough and we likely could get to a million. For $800,000 we can find better that we have now.
Without a doubt Doc is overpaid

He chased numerous head coaching jobs including the ECU one when Hamrick was AD there. Out of everyone on the selection committee, Hamrick was the only one who voted for him.

He chased numerous head coaching jobs including the ECU one when Hamrick was AD there. Out of everyone on the selection committee, Hamrick was the only one who voted for him.
Doc has not been a bad hire but on the flip side he has not be a great one either. Some how he needs to breath some life into the program.

LOL, this post comes a week after and is about losing to a team MU should have and could have beaten with absolute ease. My post pointed out the issues early in the season that came to light once again against Charlotte. You have to have a team that can maintain focus so you can push yourself to the championship game.
Don't get me wrong Marshall is not the only program suffering from the lack of character issues. Just look at Florida State. They have recruited tons of 4 and 5 star athletes that cant be coached. They had one of the best oline coaches in America but they brought in players that did not want to take responsibility.

Do not mention Mike Hamrick's name in Greenville. Not well liked.

I was going to suggest the moderator meeting be held there next year.

As a moderator-elect, what are your thoughts on Coach Stowers posting so much on this board over the last 24 hours? The board owner told him to keep his ass over on the paid forum and off of the main board and Pullman, but Coach Stowers seems to be flaunting his insubordination.

As a moderator-elect, what are your thoughts on Coach Stowers posting so much on this board over the last 24 hours? The board owner told him to keep his ass over on the paid forum and off of the main board and Pullman, but Coach Stowers seems to be flaunting his insubordination.

I noticed that too. He should just stay over there, but he has to come over here and belittle fans and defend what happened Saturday. He just can't help himself. He should just let everyone be fans and vent. I am wondering if he got his marching orders from 3rd Avenue?

Sometimes as a moderator, you just have to step back and let things play out. Coach should learn that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT