ADVERTISEMENT

Someone needs to revive Marshall Football

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
At this point it is on the leadership at whatever that level it is to revive Marshall Football. It is their job and their duty to do so. If they won't go above them or remove them as well. I am to that point. The program is stale and stagnant. I just sat in the rain and watched Marshall, with a chance to win the division, lose to a team playing in a glorified high school stadium that just a few years ago didn't even have a program. In the near past that same team that just beat Marshall was playing the likes of Campbell(when they were non scholarship), Elon, other lower divisions and they were losing to them or struggling against them. The same Marshall program that has played football much longe and Heisman candidates, Top 10 ranking, many great players and championships.

It is Mike Hamrick's job to ensure the program is where it should be and it is not. If Mike Hamrick won't take care of it then it is Jerome Gilbert's job to do it or mandate Mike Hamrick to do it. If Gilbert won't do it, then it is the Board of Regents job to ensure it. The program is at that point.

We may get to a point that it is too far gone and we slip into eternal stagnation. The pseudo nepotism with the football program needs to end. We need a change at the top and that should happen now. If Mike Hamrick won't do it then he can go to for all I care. There are other athletic directors and football coaches out there.

The time has come to move on.

I completely agree. If anyone wants to challenge iahm’s statement, don’t list 1 excuse. This loss was inexcusable! The team had zero investment, a complete & utter failure all the way around. If this is the next 3-5 seasons? You can have it; I want nothing to do with being Doc’d up anymore....

At this point it is on the leadership at whatever that level it is to revive Marshall Football. It is their job and their duty to do so. If they won't go above them or remove them as well. I am to that point. The program is stale and stagnant. I just sat in the rain and watched Marshall, with a chance to win the division, lose to a team playing in a glorified high school stadium that just a few years ago didn't even have a program. In the near past that same team that just beat Marshall was playing the likes of Campbell(when they were non scholarship), Elon, other lower divisions and they were losing to them or struggling against them. The same Marshall program that has played football much longe and Heisman candidates, Top 10 ranking, many great players and championships.

It is Mike Hamrick's job to ensure the program is where it should be and it is not. If Mike Hamrick won't take care of it then it is Jerome Gilbert's job to do it or mandate Mike Hamrick to do it. If Gilbert won't do it, then it is the Board of Regents job to ensure it. The program is at that point.

We may get to a point that it is too far gone and we slip into eternal stagnation. The pseudo nepotism with the football program needs to end. We need a change at the top and that should happen now. If Mike Hamrick won't do it then he can go to for all I care. There are other athletic directors and football coaches out there.

Won't be Hambone; he's as clueless as Doc.

Unfortunately brother, it’s sad but probably true to say it’s all about collecting those checks. Who’s holding Hamrick accountable? I haven’t seen anyone. That being the case why would Hamrick rock any boats? He’s a good ole boy. He looooovvvess the Herd and even leads some privately funded campaigns to build athletic facilities! After a while of folks spending money to fund this train wreck of an athletic department, people become numb. If I’m Gilbert, who appears to have zero athletic sense about him and god love him, why would I question anything when I’ve got a guy in charge of said department who screams I’m a Herd guy while there’s still people funding to patch the holes of the sinking ship. Status quo and nothing more here.

Yes, its time to push Doc into retirement. He has one conf title in 10 years and our conference is AWFUL! He always loses a road game that we have no business losing every year it seems, this year its 2x with MTSU and UNCC. Our O has been putrid for way too long and MU fans like high octane. How many 3rd and longs yesterdays did we run the ball?

The biggest farce is that Doc is a good recruiter. He's had 3 draft picks he's recruited in 10 years. Where are all the dynamic players? We used to kill crappy teams we played, so at least while not playing good competition we at least won big. Now when we win we are squeaking by these bad teams or even losing like last night.

If Hamrick is OK with 15k for home games, I guess he'll keep Doc, but for Marshall to succeed financially we need easily +25k average attendance. At this point, it comes down to dollars and cents to keep Doc. You can see the lack of passion all the way around.

RETIRE DOC!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
What gets me is Gaines was a 4 star dual threat QB coming in. Now he is a TE. We go to him at most 3 times during a game. I would get the ball in his hands on every series. We go to Obi one time in the Charlotte game and maybe 2 times to Gaines. You can only run the ball to the right or left so many times. No intermediate passes just try a homerun pass and hope. No offensive imagination. I'm not sure what bill of goods Cramsey sold us but I have not seen anything but just average if that. Maybe Doc is holding him back. Something has to be done!

If the offensive debacle in games is due to Cramsey's play calling, I do think he is gone. Steve Cotton said three players, including Keaton, were hurt and did not make the trip; anyone know who the other two were?

Something has to be done!

In sports or politics saying "something" has to be done, without any real plan of what "something" actually is the most dangerous phrase in the world.

We look like 8-4 with a minor bowl. Slightly less than expected.

Saying "something" and other meaningless fill words like "revive" and "not accept mediocrity" is easy. Having an actual plan is hard.

In sports or politics saying "something" has to be done, without any real plan of what "something" actually is the most dangerous phrase in the world.

Saying "something" and other meaningless fill words like "revive" and "not accept mediocrity" is easy. Having an actual plan is hard.
So, Sammy, would you classify this as underperforming?

I don’t hate Doc. He’s done some good things but we need to find someone that can take us the next step and to rejuvenate the fan base.

8-4 and 2nd in CUSA East in front of a half empty stadium will lead to 6-6 and even less fans if we don’t figure something out.

8-4? I'm afraid it'll be 7-5 and a trip to the Bahamas Bowl vs Buffalo/EMU/Kent. Boy, that'll be an exciting game!

That's Hanricks job. Oh wait he hired and protected his buddy.

No that is the job of anybody who says MEANINGLESS phrases like “rejuvenate” and “something must be done” etc. If you do not have actual concrete suggestions, best to just be quiet.

No that is the job of anybody who says MEANINGLESS phrases like “rejuvenate” and “something must be done” etc. If you do not have actual concrete suggestions, best to just be quiet.
That is the job of the Athletic Director. Just like everybody who is gainfully employed has a job to do. For some people that is to weld things. For others it is to mow grass. Others it is to teach school. Mike Hamricks job is the to be the Athletic Director. My job is as a fan. I know crap when I see it and I saw crap Saturday in Charlotte and I have seen this mediocre crap before.

Mike Hamrick hired his friend, who nobody else would have hired to be a head coach at the D1 level and handed out contract extensions to him. 10 years later here we are. His job to fix it.

Mike Hamrick hired his friend, who nobody else would have hired to be a head coach at the D1 level and handed out contract extensions to him. 10 years later here we are. His job to fix it.

tenor.gif

Reactions: i am herdman
That is the job of the Athletic Director. Just like everybody who is gainfully employed has a job to do. For some people that is to weld things. For others it is to mow grass. Others it is to teach school. Mike Hamricks job is the to be the Athletic Director. My job is as a fan. I know crap when I see it and I saw crap Saturday in Charlotte and I have seen this mediocre crap before.

So to sum up, you have no actual ideas or knowledge about football, you just know MEANINGLESS phrases and words and have no concrete ideas. Thank you for sharing.

So to sum up, you have no actual ideas or knowledge about football, you just know MEANINGLESS phrases and words and have no concrete ideas. Thank you for sharing.
So, you won't say it is the AD's job. Good deal. I guess I you can't say anything about taxes, the dog catcher, the road that needs fixed, or really the basketball coach anymore either. Nobody can't say anything about anything because according to you they don't have a solution. Got it.

I guess you can't say anything about taxes, the dog catcher, the road that needs fixed, or really the basketball coach anymore either. Nobody can't say anything about anything because according to you they don't have a solution. Got it.

Of course I have a solution to every one of those problems.

Taxes are too high because the government gives money to able bodies adults who refuse to work. Cut them off and cut taxes.

Dog catcher around here seems to be doing OK. No criticism.

As to roads, in WV, too much money is spent keeping roads up hollers where the people referenced above continue to live, in spite of all economic reality. Let these rot and use the money for the interstates, corridors, and roads where productive working people live. Enough $$ for every one to be smooth as glass, and to build more.

Basketball coach. Replace with an ambitious young couch who understands that recruiting the WV High School tournament and filling the gaps with zero star projects and Eastern Europeans is a recipe for success, in the Mountain East conference, And who knows that “we wanted it more” and “outwork the other guy” and other such slogans is a recipe for success, in high school.

Im not a fire a coach kinda of person, but after I saw the picture of the MU olineman dancing against the field early in the season and the UC L it was apparent to me the program has become stale. This was to be the year we really competed. Boise State on TV then a quality UC team at home. Im not sure the answer but the program is 100% gone stale. I get it Schools should not complain about 7 to 8 win seasons but when its done with boring offense and undisciplined play then its hard to watch.

Last edited:

This is the epitome of stupidity. So if you don’t know how to exactly fix something, you shouldn’t acknowledge that it is broken?

I knew at a young age that something needed to be fixed with The Challenger when it exploded shortly after launch. I didn’t know what was wrong with it, but I knew the explosion meant it didn’t work.

Let’s say Marshall runs an all-go route out of 10 personnel in a 2X2 set against quarter coverage. If the QB has five seconds of protection but has to throw the ball away/takes a sack, a person doesn’t have to know the specifics of how to fix it to acknowledge that it was a bad play call and/or the coaches haven’t taught their players how to adjust and beat it. The observer doesn’t have to know that they need to teach the inside receiver to immediately bend his route to center field (splitting the safeties) immediately after clearing the second level defenders and/or teach the outside receivers to convert their routes to comebacks if they recognize quarters coverage.

Not knowing exactly how to fix something doesn’t eliminate a person from recognizing major issues with the subject.

This is the epitome of stupidity. So if you don’t know how to exactly fix something, you shouldn’t acknowledge that it is broken?

I knew at a young age that something needed to be fixed with The Challenger when it exploded shortly after launch. I didn’t know what was wrong with it, but I knew the explosion meant it didn’t work.

Let’s say Marshall runs an all-go route out of 10 personnel in a 2X2 set against quarter coverage. If the QB has five seconds of protection but has to throw the ball away/takes a sack, a person doesn’t have to know the specifics of how to fix it to acknowledge that it was a bad play call and/or the coaches haven’t taught their players how to adjust and beat it. The observer doesn’t have to know that they need to teach the inside receiver to immediately bend his route to center field (splitting the safeties) immediately after clearing the second level defenders and/or teach the outside receivers to convert their routes to comebacks if they recognize quarters coverage.

Not knowing exactly how to fix something doesn’t eliminate a person from recognizing major issues with the subject.
This is where you really shine, rifle. Well stated.

According to Sam, if my roof is leaking I should not say, you know what ? Better call a contractor to get it fixed.

Hamrick hired Doc for ONE REASON ONLY.....Beat Bill Stewart. If only Tron had not fumbled.

Of course I have a solution to every one of those problems.

Taxes are too high because the government gives money to able bodies adults who refuse to work. Cut them off and cut taxes.

Dog catcher around here seems to be doing OK. No criticism.

As to roads, in WV, too much money is spent keeping roads up hollers where the people referenced above continue to live, in spite of all economic reality. Let these rot and use the money for the interstates, corridors, and roads where productive working people live. Enough $$ for every one to be smooth as glass, and to build more.

Basketball coach. Replace with an ambitious young couch who understands that recruiting the WV High School tournament and filling the gaps with zero star projects and Eastern Europeans is a recipe for success, in the Mountain East conference, And who knows that “we wanted it more” and “outwork the other guy” and other such slogans is a recipe for success, in high school.

Odd, your answer to the basketball coaching is the exact same solution for the football coaching. Replace him with a young coach who understands that what Don Nehlen did in 1984 isn't going to cut it these days with the changes in the game.

Reactions: mlblack16.

He got the contract extension after 2014, when he won CUSA.
Plenty of AD's try to lock up their head coaches just in case someone comes calling after a successful season.
I don't fault Hamrick for that.

Hell, FAU locked Lane Kiffin up for several million because they had the idea Kiffin would bolt as soon as he could.

One thing that Doc has done that just boggles your minds is that he has stayed at MU for as long as he has.
Plenty of you would say, "Well, thats because he's not a good enough HC to go to the next level. Or be hired elsewhere."
Really, can it be proven he had never been contacted? Doc isn't exactly transparent with what he does behind the scenes.
Plenty of coaches have been hired after having achieved far less, which again worries me about where MU COULD head if they blunder the HC replacement.
Doc is actually very much the opposite of what MU fans have grown to expect out of a HC in terms of bailing on MU when someone comes calling.
Maybe he just likes it here? Maybe he actually HAS turned down coaching jobs.
Nobody minus Doc could legitimately say if he had been or not, and he doesn't even list who his favorite musical artist is so good luck finding that answer.
Its kinda nuts to think a wvu guy could have more loyalty to MU than several MU folks.

For the record, this isn't an excuse to keep him, as I said, Hamrick extended him after he won CUSA and had already made the title game the year prior...not many AD's would let that go so easily.

I think he should be allowed to finish out his contract and it be known that MU is going to "move on."

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
This is where you really shine, rifle. Well stated.

According to Sam, if my roof is leaking I should not say, you know what ? Better call a contractor to get it fixed.
Rifle will like this one:
What does a tin roof and your wife have in common?
....If you don’t pound em’ good, they will both end up at your neighbors ....

So, you won't say it is the AD's job. Good deal. I guess I you can't say anything about taxes, the dog catcher, the road that needs fixed, or really the basketball coach anymore either. Nobody can't say anything about anything because according to you they don't have a solution. Got it.

I think what he's saying is, this board should already be past the constant b*tching about the program and needs to really exercise some applied approaches or brainstorm ideas for improving the program.
His criticism is that this board finds creative ways to spew the same wordage about something people are aware of and have been aware of for a long time.

The HC replacement thread actually has some discussion on what can be looked at for a HC...and less of what the board already knows, "Doc sucks and needs to be replaced"
its full of,
"Okay, what coordinators can MU hire?" "Look at what these programs did to hire a winning HC."

Im not a fire a coach kinda of person, but after I saw the picture of the MU olineman dancing against the field early in the season and the UC L it was apparent to me the program has become stale. This was to be the year we really competed. Boise State on TV then a quality UC team at home. Im not sure the answer but the program is 100% gone stale. I get it Schools should not complain about 7 to 8 win seasons but when its done with boring offense and undisciplined play then its hard to watch.

I wonder how many tens of millions of dollars are spent in the P5 to even have a goal of 7-8 wins a season.

So you're referencing UC and Boise and seem to forget the improvements between then and last week?
Charlotte was an abomination, no doubt, but its statements like yours that will NEVER progress a program positively.
If you really have been living in that time of the season still, then seriously, you really have issues.

He got the contract extension after 2014, when he won CUSA.
Plenty of AD's try to lock up their head coaches just in case someone comes calling after a successful season.
I don't fault Hamrick for that.

Hell, FAU locked Lane Kiffin up for several million because they had the idea Kiffin would bolt as soon as he could.

One thing that Doc has done that just boggles your minds is that he has stayed at MU for as long as he has.
Plenty of you would say, "Well, thats because he's not a good enough HC to go to the next level. Or be hired elsewhere."
Really, can it be proven he had never been contacted? Doc isn't exactly transparent with what he does behind the scenes.
Plenty of coaches have been hired after having achieved far less, which again worries me about where MU COULD head if they blunder the HC replacement.
Doc is actually very much the opposite of what MU fans have grown to expect out of a HC in terms of bailing on MU when someone comes calling.
Maybe he just likes it here? Maybe he actually HAS turned down coaching jobs.
Nobody minus Doc could legitimately say if he had been or not, and he doesn't even list who his favorite musical artist is so good luck finding that answer.
Its kinda nuts to think a wvu guy could have more loyalty to MU than several MU folks.

For the record, this isn't an excuse to keep him, as I said, Hamrick extended him after he won CUSA and had already made the title game the year prior...not many AD's would let that go so easily.

I think he should be allowed to finish out his contract and it be known that MU is going to "move on."

Wasn't he given multiple extensions. not just that extension? Next, he has coached for a long time. He is obviously known in the coaching ranks. He was never a coordinator even after coaching for a long time. He wasn't going anywhere and the extensions we so long and deep that it appears to have put the university in a financial bind.

Reactions: Sash19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT