ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Sun Belt to sponsor men's soccer

Conference will at a minimum look like this...

Marshall
Coastal Carolina
JMU (soon enough)
ODU
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Have to assume the outliers like Carolina, Kentucky, and WVU will also be a part of that, unless there's enough SBC teams that want to have a soccer program. I guess you could potentially see teams like UAB and FAU want to be in the league as well.

Have to assume the outliers like Carolina, Kentucky, and WVU will also be a part of that, unless there's enough SBC teams that want to have a soccer program. I guess you could potentially see teams like UAB and FAU want to be in the league as well.
AAC has men’s soccer, with five current AAC teams playing it, plus UAB, FAU, and UNCC. So those teams will go there.

CUSA, assuming it lives, is down to just FIU. Maybe they want an associate membership?

The lowly MAC, assuming WVU indeed leaves, is down to four men’s soccer schools, which is the minimum.

My guess is Marshall, West Virginia, Kentucky, James Madison, Old Dominion, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and South Carolina.

There is rumbling that App State is also going to resurrect its mens soccer program that was shuttered... No for sure info there, just some banter on their message board about it.

Reactions: Catfanatic1979v1
AAC has men’s soccer, with five current AAC teams playing it, plus UAB, FAU, and UNCC. So those teams will go there.

CUSA, assuming it lives, is down to just FIU. Maybe they want an associate membership?

The lowly MAC, assuming WVU indeed leaves, is down to four men’s soccer schools, which is the minimum.

My guess is Marshall, West Virginia, Kentucky, James Madison, Old Dominion, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and South Carolina.
WV already left the MAC and joined is in CUSA. They'll have to decide where they're going.

WV already left the MAC and joined is in CUSA. They'll have to decide where they will go.

My guess:
The six mentioned above, plus South Carolina, UK,WVU and UCF to form a 10 team league. UCF is leaving the AAC and joining WVU in the Big 12, so would not shock me if they wanted to be in the same league.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I would almost certainly guarantee that WVU will come to the SB. Grassie and their coach are good friends. I hope WVU, UK and USC all come to the SB. That would make a very good men’s soccer league

The economic realities caused by the idiocy that is Title IX mean that Marshall will never be adding any men’s sports unless one is dropped. That means baseball, which is a decision we will have to discuss when it becomes apparent that no new baseball field will be built.

According to Wikipedia, Appy State is the only SBC member with wrestling, playing in the SoCon.

With soccer, as discussed, MU will have men’s teams in 6 SBC sports, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, and Soccer. MU does not have teams in indoor or outdoor track or tennis.

As to the women, MU will have teams in every sport the SBC has, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, indoor and outdoor Track, and Volleyball. MU also has a team in swimming and diving, which SBC does not sponsor.

I also found out that 4 SBC members sponsor women’s beach volleyball, which I advocate we should add immediately.

I was surprised to learn that neither Cincinnati nor BYU (which would have brought the “Big” 12 to the minimum four teams with WVU and UCF,) play soccer. Both just seem like the kind of places that would have it. Especially BYU, which has a large number of students from overseas.

Wonder what FIU will do? They (and Liberty if it joins) are the only soccer school left in CUSA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT