ADVERTISEMENT

The Band Wagon

that struggled to beat a sub 500 Tulsa team at home Saturday. There is never an excuse for Marshall to lose at home like that. Cincy will not be the G5 representative. SMU will beat them in the AAC championship game and they will lose at least once more before then.
if Doc wins a championship can he get the fan base back?

It would certainly provide a much needed boost to his popularity as of late. But that's part of the problem. Doc knows Hamrick won't get rid of him, so he doesn't really give a shit about what the fans think about anything, and there certainly isn't the same amount of pressure that most working adults experience based on job performance and customer satisfaction.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Doesn't even have to win it. Win the east and play for one.

Our motto used to be, "We Play for Championships." Just win the east and start playing for them. MTSU, WKU, ODU, Charlotte, FIU, & FAU. Be the best of that group on a more consistent basis and I'll be happy as hell.
Hammond, that is true. Just be the best of that group. Honestly, when you put this down on paper:

Marshall
MTSU
WKU
ODU
FIU
FAU
Charlotte

We should be destroying that bunch. I mean look at that. That is not that hard.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Doc has never lost the actual fan base. NOTHING Doc can do will ever convert the anti-Doc crew, convinced that winning CUSA should be automatic.

Just like nothing can convince you that winning CUSA more than once per decade is realistic and unacceptable when not met.

No way in hell you supervise anyone in your career. If you do, I'm quitting today to come work for you, because I know I won't have to do shit except show up and draw my paycheck.

It would certainly provide a much needed boost to his popularity as of late. But that's part of the problem. Doc knows Hamrick won't get rid of him, so he doesn't really give a shit about what the fans think about anything, and there certainly isn't the same amount of pressure that most working adults experience based on job performance and customer satisfaction.

I don’t think Hamrick does either. He is convinced he’s the smartest guy in the room and doesn’t care what anybody thinks because he thinks he’s right and nothing else matters. Look at some of the things he has done to alienate fans since he’s been our AD. I don’t care if you are in favor of both of these examples the majority of fans weren’t. The tweets slamming the fans. Don’t care if he thought he was 100% right when he did it. You don’t publicly slam the fans. This made a lot of fans mad and many of them started staying home regularly. Another reason is the reseating program. Once again I don’t care if you thought it was a good move the question was asked can Doc get the fans back and I’m trying to explain that it’s not just Doc that is going to have to get people back. The reseating program separated long time season tickets holders from their seats. Many of these people stopped going to the games. People that were there every game every week started staying home and they have a bitter view of Marshall. Once again I’m not debating whether it was right or not but it definitely turned a ton of people off. Hamrick is not a popular AD which is odd considering I think he’s the best AD we have ever had at Marshall, and I’m 50, but I think things like I’ve mentioned and other issues he’s had with the public keeps him from getting the full recognition he deserves (Again it’s my opinion)

In regards to Doc he absolutely can get the fans back. I think the majority of our fan base likes him, think he’s a good guy, think he’s dedicated to Marshall and love the treatment and respect he gives to the memory of the plane crash. Sean in his post hit on part of it. He has to start winning at least the East in CUSA and throw in every couple of years win the whole thing. But I will go further than Sean did, if he fruly wants to get the whole fan base back he has to stop losing home games and especially stop getting blown out in home games to fellow G5’s. Akron, UCF, Cincinnati, WKU blowing you out at home really hurts your program. Losing home games to fellow G5’s even if they aren’t blow outs kills you with the fan base. The Joan is no longer feared like it once was is a comment I hear from a lot of people. Also Not being competitive with P5’s that we play at home again kills you. Because it creates in the minds of your own fans because they are there seeing it, that you are the little guy team, so they will go off and root for WVU, OSU, UK etc as their big boy school and won’t commit to MU. During our run from 97-2004 our fan base were Marshall fans first and foremost and they felt we could play with anybody P5 or G5. Whether it was true or not is immaterial that was the perception and the belief.

If Doc runs the table this year and wins the East and CUSA and a bowl game it would definitely start putting people back, but not all the way back. The Cincinnati debacle and the MTSU loss won’t be forgotten this year but they can definitely be softened. But if Doc accomplishes the above this year and beats either Pitt or Boise State or both at home next year and wins the East again I think he will have the opportunity to be 100% back. But if he doesn’t win CUSA this year and loses both home games to Pitt and Boise and God forbid Ohio on the road and went 1-3 in OOC I think even winning the East or CUSA would get the fan base back.

Doc has never lost the actual fan base. NOTHING Doc can do will ever convert the anti-Doc crew, convinced that winning CUSA should be automatic.
In baseball 3 out 10 hits all the time puts you in the Hall Fame. Bob Uecker hit ,200. Doc is not even at Bob Uecker level in perhaps the worst D1 conference in the country. Half(at least) of our division games every year should be automatic wins.

Ask yourself can we get and surpass Bob Uecker level? I think that is all most of us are asking for.

Time for Mediocre Mike and Dull Doc to step up their games.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
In baseball 3 out 10 hits all the time puts you in the Hall Fame. Bob Uecker hit ,200. Doc is not even at Bob Uecker level in perhaps the worst D1 conference in the country. Half(at least) of our division games every year should be automatic wins.

Ask yourself can we get and surpass Bob Uecker level? I think that is all most of us are asking for.

giphy.gif

If no superior is demanding more or better, why would they exert the extra effort? Slide along into retirement doing just enough to stay employed but not enough to make your job harder.

Certainly if Doc wins CUSA this year a lot is forgiven. I'd certainly be a lot less annoyed with a championship. Heck, I'd be encouraged by a East Division championship. Having said that, I want to see an entertaining product on the field. I want to see some of this league best recruiting talent actually improve over time. The point of sports is to entertain. Marshall doesn't do much to entertain right now. Winning cures everything but even if you're not winning championships every year put a product on the field that is competitive and is fun to watch.

Not sure seems like the only way Doc wins is if a "Very Good" Player (QB) lands in his lap where he can ride
him to the CUSA Champ. or the conference of FCS transition teams are so bad that he cannot help but win
riding on our Football namesake, traditions, and facilities alone. That's the problem in a nutshell, we won
5 out of 8 years while in MAC, we came to the USA and won one in the last 14. The MAC is possibly considered
by some a better conference.

Last edited:
I don’t think Hamrick does either. He is convinced he’s the smartest guy in the room and doesn’t care what anybody thinks because he thinks he’s right and nothing else matters. Look at some of the things he has done to alienate fans since he’s been our AD. I don’t care if you are in favor of both of these examples the majority of fans weren’t. The tweets slamming the fans. Don’t care if he thought he was 100% right when he did it. You don’t publicly slam the fans. This made a lot of fans mad and many of them started staying home regularly. Another reason is the reseating program. Once again I don’t care if you thought it was a good move the question was asked can Doc get the fans back and I’m trying to explain that it’s not just Doc that is going to have to get people back. The reseating program separated long time season tickets holders from their seats. Many of these people stopped going to the games. People that were there every game every week started staying home and they have a bitter view of Marshall. Once again I’m not debating whether it was right or not but it definitely turned a ton of people off. Hamrick is not a popular AD which is odd considering I think he’s the best AD we have ever had at Marshall, and I’m 50, but I think things like I’ve mentioned and other issues he’s had with the public keeps him from getting the full recognition he deserves (Again it’s my opinion)

In regards to Doc he absolutely can get the fans back. I think the majority of our fan base likes him, think he’s a good guy, think he’s dedicated to Marshall and love the treatment and respect he gives to the memory of the plane crash. Sean in his post hit on part of it. He has to start winning at least the East in CUSA and throw in every couple of years win the whole thing. But I will go further than Sean did, if he fruly wants to get the whole fan base back he has to stop losing home games and especially stop getting blown out in home games to fellow G5’s. Akron, UCF, Cincinnati, WKU blowing you out at home really hurts your program. Losing home games to fellow G5’s even if they aren’t blow outs kills you with the fan base. The Joan is no longer feared like it once was is a comment I hear from a lot of people. Also Not being competitive with P5’s that we play at home again kills you. Because it creates in the minds of your own fans because they are there seeing it, that you are the little guy team, so they will go off and root for WVU, OSU, UK etc as their big boy school and won’t commit to MU. During our run from 97-2004 our fan base were Marshall fans first and foremost and they felt we could play with anybody P5 or G5. Whether it was true or not is immaterial that was the perception and the belief.

If Doc runs the table this year and wins the East and CUSA and a bowl game it would definitely start putting people back, but not all the way back. The Cincinnati debacle and the MTSU loss won’t be forgotten this year but they can definitely be softened. But if Doc accomplishes the above this year and beats either Pitt or Boise State or both at home next year and wins the East again I think he will have the opportunity to be 100% back. But if he doesn’t win CUSA this year and loses both home games to Pitt and Boise and God forbid Ohio on the road and went 1-3 in OOC I think even winning the East or CUSA would get the fan base back.

I agree with what you're saying about Doc.
I just hope IF he won CUSA this year it would be looked at as a positive without any strings attached.
I am not sure Hamrick was behind that tweet against the fans. Plenty of official people have someone doing their tweets for them as sort of "take this down" sort of thing.
I am in no way condoning the words in the tweet, it was awful and shouldn't have been said and hopefully if it was some dumb intern, they got fired.

If it was really Hamrick, I'm moving on from it. 2016 was a terrible year for football...and I can't imagine what we didn't see, the BS going on as well.
He seems to have...with Saturday and the groundbreaking ceremony as well as some now $80 million put into new facilitues and upgrades, I think if this is his version of making up for it (again, if he really tweeted that himself) he's doing a solid job.

Reactions: caliherd
Not sure seems like the only way Doc wins is if a "Very Good" Player (QB) lands in his lap where he can ride
him to the CUSA Champ. or the conference of FCS transition teams is so bad that he cannot help, but win
riding on our Football namesake, traditions, and facilities alone. That's the problem in a nutshell, we won
5 out of 8 years while in MAC, we came to the USA and won one in the last 14. The MAC is possibly considered

This is what I'm talking about.
Even if Doc wins CUSA, there are always strings attached.
'1 title in 9 years...'
'Well...CUSA is full of FCS schools, so it doesn't count...unlike the MAC.'

There is nothing there to “admit”. MU had several periods of solid basketball, first at the NAIA level and for the first 30 plus years in Div I. The they ran Huck off on trumped up charges, and we went through a succession of racist, incompetent, looking for the next job, retread, and just plain not very good coaches. Including a lost decade of Greg White, another “local hero comes home” story that everybody wanted to have turn out well, but didn’t.

MU football has, prior to 1985, a much less stellar history. We almost lost the program several times. Not just after the crash, but in the mid 80s when the stadium was falling down. Then came a succession of great coaches, with one exception who destroyed all that had been built.

As to what sort of “town” Huntington is, every town is a football town. Think of the most basketball centric places you can. Lexington, Durham, Chapel Hill, Bloomington, West Lafayette, Lawrence. Wherever. The football team still out draws the basketball team. Football is just more of a part of the fabric of college life. It just is.

Which is not to say that basketball and football are incomparable. There not in competition. Except among those who, in their anti-Doc extremism, want to paint a basketball picture that does not reflect the reality on the ground.

I wanna make sure I got this right...
Are you saying Durham, Chapel Hill, etc., are outdrawn by their football counterparts?

If so, uhm...no.
Attendance numbers? Yes. But by default because...stadiums > basketball arenas.

But in absolutely no way can you say football "outdraws" basketball, especially in those towns. Football gets money by just existing in a P5 conference. Basketball actually gets money by being the identity of the school in sports.
Huge difference.

The MAC is possibly considered

Whatever one thinks about the two conferences today is irrelevant. During the period when MU was in the MAC, it and the now dead Big West were the very bottom conferences in I-A, without any question. In the period just before MU joined the MAC, the NCAA tried several times to relegate both to I-AA, which is where both belonged under the system of that era in reality.

before MU joined the MAC, the NCAA tried several times to relegate both to I-AA, which is where both belonged under the system of that era in reality.

Now that makes no sense. MU jumped from 1AA to the MAC. Why would they go to the MAC just to stay in 1AA?

Because the NCAA gave up trying to relegate the MAC just before MU joined it. But really, the MAC was a terrible league. It and the Big West even had to get a waiver from the NCAA to gin up a fake bowl game in Fresno or no MAC or Big West team would have gone to one. They were the very bottom of the division.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I 100% support the basketball team. I attend plenty of games.

I just have my reasons for doubting things, and a lot of them are not just my opinions. They’re shared by others.
I wish you would share your thoughts. The innuendos from your posts of the basketball program are unnerving. Most of the folks I communicate with are excited about Marshall Basketball and Danny as our head coach. We have been very entertaining since Danny took over! I agree we have lost some games in an embarrassing manner in recent years. I truly believe we are deeper in talent than we have ever been and that we we can keep players fresh on the court without losing a whole lot of ability. We will have some growing pains early on this year. I'm convinced we will be quite formidable as the season progresses and into the next.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It almost feels the life has been sucked out of the program

My point is Dan has won "bigger" than Doc. I agree hard to equate but going through a conference basketball tournament and then beating a 4 seed is a high achievement.
I like our basketball program, but i don't really see where DD won "bigger" than Doc as we followed up the WSU win with an ultra-embarrassing loss to WVU in the 2nd Rd that made that win pointless. We were nationally ranked in 2014, came within stopping a 2-pt conversion of likely getting the Access Bowl bid, and then dismantled the team ESPN was touting for that bid, NIU, in the bowl game.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I didn't quote that. You must be a Democrat.

Nah. I'd rather stab you in the chest like any Republican as opposed to stabbing you in the back like a Democrat.
Not to say those idiots have it figured out either, its just the lesser of two evils and inevitable death regardless.

I like our basketball program, but i don't really see where DD won "bigger" than Doc...

Excellent post. The problem is in the dark and deluded world of the anti-Doc crew, part of the hate is to somehow contrast Doc’s supposed “failure” and the supposed “should be automatic” nature of CUSA football with a constructed “glory” for basketball, and, most delusional of all, a denial of the actual ease of playing basketball in a league where a third of the teams don’t even try.

People can hate on Doc all they want, but when you go around talking about how great something is when any normal person sees that it isn’t, you make us look like WVU fans. CUSA basketball is cupcake city.

I like our basketball program, but i don't really see where DD won "bigger" than Doc as we followed up the WSU win with an ultra-embarrassing loss to WVU in the 2nd Rd that made that win pointless. We were nationally ranked in 2014, came within stopping a 2-pt conversion of likely getting the Access Bowl bid, and then dismantled the team ESPN was touting for that bid, NIU, in the bowl game.

I don't disagree with the premise of this, however I wouldn't say losing in the 2nd round of the tourney diminishes the first round win. 63 out of 64 teams lose at some point in the tournament. 32 of them lost before the Herd.

PD I hate the Doc vs Dan comparisons. But honestly your comparison was terrible. In 2014 Doc lost an undefeated season and possible Access bowl to a 6-5 team on our own field. Any national prominence was lost that day for that season. Northern Illinois got us ZERO respect. No I don’t care if they were MAC champs, no I don’t care they were in the top 25. The response from everybody that I knew that weren’t Marshall fans were man you guys went 13-1 and had to play a MAC school in a bowl?

Beating a 4 seed and perennial top 25 and constant tournament team in Wichita State is way more impressive to the country and it’s not close. Nobody gave a crap we lost to WVU the next round they were just impressed we beat Wichita.

Don't see how Dan has won bigger than Doc? Are you guys serious? Do you know how many people follow the NCAA tournament? Do you know how many people around the country watch and talk about when a team pulls a big upset?

We beat a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. Get real. The football team hasn't had that much exposure since the movie was made and that wasn't an on the field performance.

Don't see how Dan has won bigger than Doc? Are you guys serious? Do you know how many people follow the NCAA tournament? Do you know how many people around the country watch and talk about when a team pulls a big upset?

We beat a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. Get real. The football team hasn't had that much exposure since the movie was made and that wasn't an on the field performance.
This. As Sam likes his minor sport references:
Game, Set, Match....

ONCE, from 4th on a season, which is why the team from this one-bid league got seeded 13th in the first place, beat an upper mid major, then in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Something accomplished by 20.71% of all 13 seeds since the tournament went to 64 teams. Including by such well known teams as Morehead State, Buffalo, San Diego, Vermont, UNC Wilmington, Missouri State, and UC Irvine.

The averaged ratings, which combines the multiple games on the different channels into one rating for the whole two day set in 2018 was 6.4. An individual game between two mid-majors usually gets about a 1.5.

Hate Doc all you want. Don’t pretend anybody outside your bubble consider Marshall basketball to be anything.

Hate Doc all you want. Don’t pretend anybody outside your bubble consider Marshall basketball to be anything.

Likewise, nobody outside of your bubble considers Marshall Football to be anything, thanks to mediocrity, courtesy of Mark Snyduh and John H.

ONCE, from 4th on a season, which is why the team from this one-bid league got seeded 13th in the first place, beat an upper mid major, then in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Something accomplished by 20.71% of all 13 seeds since the tournament went to 64 teams. Including by such well known teams as Morehead State, Buffalo, San Diego, Vermont, UNC Wilmington, Missouri State, and UC Irvine.

The averaged ratings, which combines the multiple games on the different channels into one rating for the whole two day set in 2018 was 6.4. An individual game between two mid-majors usually gets about a 1.5.

Nobody has asked me about football marshall in some time other than what happened to Marshall Football.

Likewise, nobody outside of your bubble considers Marshall Football to be anything, thanks to mediocrity, courtesy of Mark Snyduh and John H.

The problem is he blames everyone outside of who is actually to blame.. .

He blames WVU, the state of WV, Bob Huggins, the media, ESPN, the MAC, CUSA officials... all for anything that has ever gone wrong at Marshall. Am I missing anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT