ADVERTISEMENT

The Band Wagon

There may be people back on the band wagon after the FAU win, but they're not sitting down in the seats yet.

There may be people back on the band wagon after the FAU win, but they're not sitting down in the seats yet.

Of course not. This is the sad, twisted world of the anti Doc, anti Mike "Marshall fan" there are only two results.

- Marshall wins. In which case it is nothing, because CUSA sucks and I want in THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! and gosh things were great back in 98 when we were dominating mega programs like Kent State and Akron, and we are supposed to win, because we are supposed to.

- Marshall loses. In which case it is HUGE, because CUSA sucks and blah, blah, blah.

There is no result that can make these people happy. MU sports are just not for them. They need to find something else.

Meanwhile, Marshall fans are happy with a win, as we are with every win by the players and coaches we have, in the league we ARE in.

I am a Marshall Fan. Who the coach is not the most important factor. The program is the most important factor. Good win last night. However, the program at this point overall still falls short of what it could be.That being said, the season is still playing out. I will be rooting for Marshall.

Looked like Lambert took a page out of Heater's book last night. Amazing how much better a defense looks when pressure is achieved for once, I thought ODU was a fluke, then there is last night. LT, WKU will make or break this team.

I'm just saddened at the thought that we have fallen so far that as the #95 Sagrin team we are so very excited to beat #75.

This coming from the guy that’s excited about a team picked to finish 11th in their own conference.
Coach football at marshall was at a much higher level than basketball was. Cusa basketball is better than cusa football. Dan has a much better elite level win than Doc.

Coach football at marshall was at a much higher level than basketball was. Cusa basketball is better than cusa football. Dan has a much better elite level win than Doc.

Will it be good enough that C-USA gets more than the auto bid to the NCAA, and have a team or two invited to the NIT after being shutout last year??

Haven't seen you 'round here lately. I guess Doc finally managing to win on the road has renewed your confidence?

We’re one game away from where I thought we’d be so my confidence hasn’t really been swayed one way or the other.

Not really.

There just hasn’t been anything posted on this forum that warranted my response until then.
We have Marshall fans and we have Marshall basketball fans that care for roundball only. Its an exclusive club that is so enamored with DD they cannot see other sports as being relevant. Its a sad commentary on them.

We have Marshall fans and we have Marshall basketball fans that care for roundball only. Its an exclusive club that is so enamored with DD they cannot see other sports as being relevant. Its a sad commentary on them.
I follow all Marshall sports. I was at softball today and I will be at volleyball tomorrow. I happen to have become a Herd hoops fan in 1956 and have been a basketball fan first since. Up until 2-3 years ago I had a 10 year stretch that I was at all football games home and away. Now, not so much. I have found that most days is just isn't as exciting as it used to be. I go to all home basketball games and many away as well including the CUSA tournament every year. I will miss the La Tech football game since I will be at the basketball game at Notre Dame at the same time

.....what an asinine comment! Present to me one member of Herd Nation who has never posted a comment on the subject of MU football, and I will donate $100 to the baseball field campaign. But, if you can’t, then you write a check for the same amount.
If you follow Marshall sports, you are interested in our football team. No exceptions! And yeah, I love where DD is taking our basketball program! Doesn’t mean my stomach wasn’t in knots @ 10 pm last nite. I bleed green for every MU sport.

d99.png

Coach Stowers with another back handed comment about Danny D. It’s no wonder your board is scoopless when it comes to Herd basketball. If only you were as critical of the true under achieving coach. Keep swinging off docs balls.

We’re one game away from where I thought we’d be so my confidence hasn’t really been swayed one way or the other.

We are where a lot of people thought we should be, myself included. Except I figured we would have at least one quality OOC win in the process with a QB that actually looked like he has progressed from last year. Not regressed!

This coming from the guy that’s excited about a team picked to finish 11th in their own conference.

I am amazed that a moderator on the biggest Marshall board hates our basketball team and our coach. Chris I have no idea why you let this guy become a moderator. At least Aaron who I know gets on people’s nerves is a fan of all Marshall sports including the basketball team. Josh isn’t a fan of Marshall he is simply a fan of Doc and Mike.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
I am amazed that a moderator on the biggest Marshall board hates our basketball team and our coach. Chris I have no idea why you let this guy become a moderator. At least Aaron who I know gets on people’s nerves is a fan of all Marshall sports including the basketball team. Josh isn’t a fan of Marshall he is simply a fan of Doc and Mike.

I 100% support the basketball team. I attend plenty of games.

I just have my reasons for doubting things, and a lot of them are not just my opinions. They’re shared by others.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I’m not real sure how that’s relevant to the comment.

College basketball is setup much differently in terms of having “elite wins.”
My point is Dan has won "bigger" than Doc. I agree hard to equate but going through a conference basketball tournament and then beating a 4 seed is a high achievement.

I 100% support the basketball team. I attend plenty of games.

I just have my reasons for doubting things, and a lot of them are not just my opinions. They’re shared by others.
Got your opinion and marching orders? You don't seem to like popular MU coaches. What are you doubting?

Last edited:
As a fellow moderator, I am stunned by his bias.

Actually, I had us 4-3 right now and 8-4 overall.

La Tech looks darn good. Best WKU next week and Tech is the only school that should give us trouble. Jmo

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes

I really don’t understand why people are using this whole being picked eleventh thing as evidence that the basketball team is somehow mired in mediocrity and that getting excited about them is somehow an affront to those who support football. Championships and post season play aren’t awarded by preseason predictions...they’re awarded by how we actually perform. Using a preseason prediction from people who are only looking at what we lost without extensive knowledge of what we are bringing in are useless. They prove absolutely nothing until we actually play a game. By the standard of preseason predictions we should be in great shape this weekend when 4-0 WKU waltzes into our stadium, because they were picked 5th in the east (Athlon) and we were picked first. I’m fairly confident Vegas won’t be giving us points based on preseason predictions.

This pitting the basketball program against the football program is silly. I’m not a Doc hater and I don’t feel the need to slam him every time we lose or elevate him when we win. But it’s been a long time since we’ve reached the only standard that Marshall fans understand...and that’s playing for championships. It’s been six years since we’ve played in a championship game.

The basketball team by comparison has played in the championship game two out of the last three years. We won the whole thing just two years ago. We went to the Big Dance for the first time in forever and we won a game in the NCAA for the first time in our school history. And although last year was a disappointment with the unexpected loss of Peneva and the huge hole that left us defensively (he led the nation in blocked shots), we once again did something we’ve never done in our modern history...which is win a post season tournament. We can diminish the tournament all we want, but the reality is that we’ve played these tournaments before and what were the results? We have one win in our school history (Western Carolina in 2010 before losing to Appy State) prior to last year. Good or bad, that’s our school history. Yet last year we once again did something that no other coach since the inception of these non NCAA/NIT tourneys has done...and that’s actually win one of them. The excitement it generated in the Cam was unbelievably fun.

I really don’t think that pitting football against basketball is a rational comparison, but for the love of anything sacred I have no clue why people can’t understand the enthusiasm for basketball and the disappointment for football. Let’s just kick Western’s ass this weekend and have two programs we can be excited about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT