ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Huff

I’ll give credit where credit is due…he’s done well recruiting the portal and filling glaring holes on the team. Just hoping that at least one of these QB’s emerges as a stud in 2024, whether it be one of the portal additions, or Pennington.
Yep, I agree.

Two portal QBs.
Six portal WRs.
P5 RB.
TE with experience at the FBS level.
Six portal OL (plus a JUCO).
New OC.
New OL coach.
New WR coach.

All of the players mentioned above (sans the Wake QB Griffis) will be here for spring ball.

Complete re-make of the offense. Who knows if it'll work but at least Huff is going down swinging if it doesn't.

Yep, I agree.

Two portal QBs.
Six portal WRs.
P5 RB.
New OC.
New OL coach.
New WR coach.

All of the players mentioned above (sans the Wake QB Griffis) will be here for spring ball.

Complete re-make of the offense. Who knows if it'll work but at least Huff is going down swinging if it doesn't.
Who is the P5 rb?

I’ll give credit where credit is due…he’s done well recruiting the portal and filling glaring holes on the team. Just hoping that at least one of these QB’s emerges as a stud in 2024, whether it be one of the portal additions, or Pennington.
We hope he's done well. Up to this staff to coach them up. They haven't shown the ability to do that in my eyes

Huff isn't a dumb guy (although he has said some of the dumbest things in MU sports history)... He knows 2024 is make or break for him.

The good news for him was our needs were clear after watching last season...

New OC -- Check
QB competition/depth -- Unknown, but at least he brought in a couple guys
RB to replace Ali -- Check
Offensive line depth -- Check

He knows 2024 is make or break for him.
I do give CH credit for trying. Certainly, by now, he understands that the dream is never going to happen for him. He isn't a head coach, isn't going to get the inter-generational wealth that the ACC, SEC, or B10 pay such people, and is going to be re-absorbed into the buddy system of college coaching as a career assistant. Non-leader CS gave him a free year to figure things out, either out of his own inept lap dog nature or actually believing another year of this is better than paying out $400K. It would have been easy for CH to just phone it in, but he seems to actually be trying.

Of course, it won't work, but it is admirable that he is trying.

I do give CH credit for trying. Certainly, by now, he understands that the dream is never going to happen for him. He isn't a head coach, isn't going to get the inter-generational wealth that the ACC, SEC, or B10 pay such people, and is going to be re-absorbed into the buddy system of college coaching as a career assistant. Non-leader CS gave him a free year to figure things out, either out of his own inept lap dog nature or actually believing another year of this is better than paying out $400K. It would have been easy for CH to just phone it in, but he seems to actually be trying.

Considering your track record of being wrong, we all should probably put $25k down on Marshall winning the national championship next year.

LOL, Huff pulls this off and wins a conference championship he's going to get hired somewhere. Why? Because he will have shown he can work the portal big time, and that's what it is about these days.

L Huff pulls this off and wins a conference championship he's going to get hired somewhere
Yes, but that assumes that CH can "pull this off". The same is true all across the board. However, we now know, for certain, the CH ability level. His results on the field have established that he is incapable of even coming close to a "conference championship". He cannot even get into the upper half of a division.

Well, if he "pulls it off" either in Blacksburg or Columbus this fall that should buy his ticket to some Power Campus somewhere for the 2025 season!!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Huff is 5 games over .500 in his first three years, with year 3 being his worst season to date. Those 5 games over include his 4 wins over FCS teams. He has finished lower in the conference standings each year. Fortunately, we are guaranteed we won’t finish worse in the East this season because you can’t finish below last.

This is his last contract season, I don’t care if we finish 10-2, if we don’t win the east I’m ready to move on. My guess is another 7 win type season since we have an easy crossover schedule, which does give us a chance to get to 8 wins. We shouldn’t be sucked in that 8 wins shows any real improvement.

It’s going to be a challenge with a new (OC), (QB), and skill guys in year one. So the (2024-25) season will be different. Now, going into the (2025-26) season should….should have some continuity within the offense and (QB) play. Let’s just hope the playing experience and staff stays in place. Just my opinion.

Do not be surprised if Huff makes things happen this year!
Why?

Simple childish Perkins rah-rahism? Everything with "Marshall" written on it just must be the bestest evvvveeer!!!
Or do you have some actual points about how, somehow, CH will actually cease being the hapless, hopeless, .500 mediocre coach he has been up to now?

We know what CH is. That is not going to change.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Why?

Simple childish Perkins rah-rahism? Everything with "Marshall" written on it just must be the bestest evvvveeer!!!
Or do you have some actual points about how, somehow, CH will actually cease being the hapless, hopeless, .500 mediocre coach he has been up to now?

We know what CH is. That is not going to change.
Sam: Why are you stuck in the 1980’s? Young folk don’t talk like that, and haven’t for 30 years. The actors that starred in “Valley Girl” are getting ready to go on social security.
If you’re gonna continue to hate, update your phraseology! You’re, like, soooooo lame! 😂

Huff has some signature wins - ND, Va Tech, ECU - first time ever there.
But the inconsistency, lack of QB development, very poor staff hires and somewhat immature responses to questions, etc. lead me to think we really need to part ways after 2024, regardless of the season we have.
Marshall needs to go after a DeBoer type guy. Lower division success and roll with him.
The D1 assistant route isn't giving us the results anyone wants. Jmho

Huff has some signature wins - ND, Va Tech, ECU - first time ever there.
But the inconsistency, lack of QB development, very poor staff hires and somewhat immature responses to questions, etc. lead me to think we really need to part ways after 2024, regardless of the season we have.
Marshall needs to go after a DeBoer type guy. Lower division success and roll with him.
The D1 assistant route isn't giving us the results anyone wants. Jmho
I agree. Seeing “successful HEAD coach” on the resume’ should be at the top of the checklist.

I agree. Seeing “successful HEAD coach” on the resume’ should be at the top of the checklist.
Agree. No others need to be considered in my opinion. It's a new time and era, the Bob Pruetts and Jim Donnan types won't come to Marshall in this day and age.
Go get a guy from a smaller school and double his salary.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
regardless of the season we have.

I hope that is true. The worst case scenario is another mediocre season. Non-leader CS accepts mediocrity (albeit after releasing a memo saying it "isn't acceptable") Eight or nine wins, is not going to get some P4 bottom feeder to punch the CH button. The best thing to happen is, and it is pipedream, for CH to actually perform well enough for him to leave our town; or for him to continue to fail and be gone, regardless of CS and the cabal's lack of leadership.

It is, however, so encouraging to see fans already discussing the post-CH era. Real fans get it.

Agree. No others need to be considered in my opinion. It's a new time and era, the Bob Pruetts and Jim Donnan types won't come to Marshall in this day and age.
Go get a guy from a smaller school and double his salary.

Like I have said all along.

Also he doesn't have to be a young guy either, just a HC.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Like I have said all along.

Also he doesn't have to be a young guy either, just a HC.
I think it does have to be a younger guy, early 40s or under. An older guy with HC experience that we could afford probably hasn’t been too successful or wasn’t innovative/dynamic/ambitious enough to get the job earlier.

I think it does have to be a younger guy, early 40s or under. An older guy with HC experience that we could afford probably hasn’t been too successful or wasn’t innovative/dynamic/ambitious enough to get the job earlier.
Jerry Kill and Bronco Mendenhall would have both been good options for a few years.

Yep, I agree.

Two portal QBs.
Six portal WRs.
P5 RB.
New OC.
New OL coach.
New WR coach.

I agree. It's a darn good effort to better this team. Who knows what the results will actually be but it's a great effort on paper to remedy the situation.

I think the biggest thing is not settling with what we see after spring ball. We have to keep trying to add talent to any and all position groups when we can. It doesn't matter how deep we think the group is. Huff can't take anything for granted this season.

Like that he is going out swinging. Hoping it all comes together for the Herd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT