ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Huff

That’s just the curse of low expectations by a fan that sees defeat everywhere he looks.

We have a top ten G5 brand and are in the top quartile of G5 in attendance, donations, ticket revenue, etc. The fans consistently outperform their resources in supporting the program, so I fully expect the program to do the same.

Every team in the G5 has the same number of players recruited from the same general pool of talent. We are not competing with the P5 on a resource basis, we are competing with Sunbelt teams, and before that, CUSA teams. We are the 3rd winningest current G5 team over the last ten years, so any argument of a competitive disadvantage is, based on that evidence, to be disregarded.

The frustration, stated again, is in our ability to win important conference games. The frustration is being eliminated from the conference championship race with 2,3 or 4 games remaining. Huff, for the most part, has been pretty good OOC but has failed with the conference schedule (spectacularly this past season). You shouldn’t have the talent to beat Notre Dame and VT and then finish 4th and 7th in your division of the Sun Belt.

Low expectations and realistic expectations are two different things.

How have the fans outperformed others when the stadium and arena, have reduced capacity? Why has attendance been an issue and a constant source of complaining by people on here?
How is MU a top G5 brand when our current HC basically blamed the fans and has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be here?

The fans do outperform everyone else when it comes to making excuses to not show up to games and act like Sluggo because the AD did something unrelated to him, but he somehow has taken personally, and thus, will never recognize any accomplishment by the AD, which is a stupid thing to be doing.
One slip up by a HC or AD and the fans made their minds up.
How do fans outperform when they are somehow divided in having a baseball field?
A complete moron like Goddamn Sam is not the only one who sees baseball and building a field as a waste of money.

Now, here comes more realism...

MU can't afford to keep up with a plethora of G5 programs. Many have the ability to offer a $1 million+ contract to a HC.
Has MU ever given a HC over a $1 million??
Many schools are located in major metropolitan areas, which gives them better/easier access to recruits MU may have to reach to get.
The population seems to get bent out of shape over a dollar or so hike in ticket prices.

Given the NCAA landscape is, and always has been, money driven, MU is simply going to be at a disadvantage, and when your HC wants gone faster than anyone ever, it will be even harder for MU to be relevant.

You also have the HC that y'all ran off, to thank for the ability to brag about winningest programs in the G5...at the same time MU beat ND, App beat Texas AM...and both finished that season below expectations.
MU regressed and App progressed the following season...playing in the SBC championship.
Huff has not been good at OOC. He beat ND, which already feels like a distant memory given how little he has produced since then.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Low expectations and realistic expectations are two different things.

How have the fans outperformed others when the stadium and arena, have reduced capacity? Why has attendance been an issue and a constant source of complaining by people on here?
How is MU a top G5 brand when our current HC basically blamed the fans and has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be here?

The fans do outperform everyone else when it comes to making excuses to not show up to games and act like Sluggo because the AD did something unrelated to him, but he somehow has taken personally, and thus, will never recognize any accomplishment by the AD, which is a stupid thing to be doing.
One slip up by a HC or AD and the fans made their minds up.
How do fans outperform when they are somehow divided in having a baseball field?
A complete moron like Goddamn Sam is not the only one who sees baseball and building a field as a waste of money.

Now, here comes more realism...

MU can't afford to keep up with a plethora of G5 programs. Many have the ability to offer a $1 million+ contract to a HC.
Has MU ever given a HC over a $1 million??
Many schools are located in major metropolitan areas, which gives them better/easier access to recruits MU may have to reach to get.
The population seems to get bent out of shape over a dollar or so hike in ticket prices.

Given the NCAA landscape is, and always has been, money driven, MU is simply going to be at a disadvantage, and when your HC wants gone faster than anyone ever, it will be even harder for MU to be relevant.

You also have the HC that y'all ran off, to thank for the ability to brag about winningest programs in the G5...at the same time MU beat ND, App beat Texas AM...and both finished that season below expectations.
MU regressed and App progressed the following season...playing in the SBC championship.
Huff has not been good at OOC. He beat ND, which already feels like a distant memory given how little he has produced since then.
He also beat Va Tech and ECU - first time in Greenville. Games we choked away in the past. That said, let him go after 2024 and find a lower division guy whose belly is on fire and can bring his successful staff and system with him. jmo.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
He also beat Va Tech and ECU - first time in Greenville. Games we choked away in the past. That said, let him go after 2024 and find a lower division guy whose belly is on fire and can bring his successful staff and system with him. jmo.

This is of course, after the consensus from the fan base saying they wanted a young and energetic P5 coordinator.

Well, ya reap what ya sow.
Agree. Sad that the BOG and KO Marcum didn't have the vision to look at successful coaches in the lower levels. We just had to have a D1 assistant. Too bad the last 3 have failed for the most part. College football has changed radically since the BP days and I doubt we ever see that level of continuous success again. Just too difficult on many levels. But it all starts with a good coach, and that's on them. jmho

Thought I would NEVER say this, but I am more excited about the potential of women's b'ball and our minor sports than I am football at this point. lol!

Agree. Sad that the BOG and KO Marcum didn't have the vision to look at successful coaches in the lower levels. We just had to have a D1 assistant. Too bad the last 3 have failed for the most part. College football has changed radically since the BP days and I doubt we ever see that level of continuous success again. Just too difficult on many levels. But it all starts with a good coach, and that's on them. jmho

Thought I would NEVER say this, but I am more excited about the potential of women's b'ball and our minor sports than I am football at this point. lol!

Take what you can get at this point.

The landscape of college football has completely changed.
If the team wins 10 games but doesn't win a conference title, take the wins and success that comes with it and win the bowl game.

If MU wins a conference title but doesn't win every game, take the title and be happy.

MU does not have the financial nor social presence to have both, and very few G5 programs do anyway.

Also, why are you saying you'd never be excited to women's basketball? I don't follow all the MU sports religiously, but I certainly wouldn't act like you in regards to the minor sports.

Take what you can get at this point.

The landscape of college football has completely changed.
If the team wins 10 games but doesn't win a conference title, take the wins and success that comes with it and win the bowl game.

If MU wins a conference title but doesn't win every game, take the title and be happy.

MU does not have the financial nor social presence to have both, and very few G5 programs do anyway.

Also, why are you saying you'd never be excited to women's basketball? I don't follow all the MU sports religiously, but I certainly wouldn't act like you in regards to the minor sports.
I actually said I never thought I would see the day I was more excited about women's b'ball than football. Vastly different than saying I could never get excited about women's b'ball. I guess you haven't read some of my posts in the past, but I have said repeatedly, the minor sports have much more potential for national success than do football or men's b'ball.
I support and have supported men's soccer, women's soccer, softball and baseball with sport specific donations.
Kim is making fans of many of us with her style of play and the energy she puts into the job. I watched this weekends game against Coastal, great game, great crowd.

She puts DD to shame, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I actually said I never thought I would see the day I was more excited about women's b'ball than football. Vastly different than saying I could never get excited about women's b'ball. I guess you haven't read some of my posts in the past, but I have said repeatedly, the minor sports have much more potential for national success than do football or men's b'ball.
I support and have supported men's soccer, women's soccer, softball and baseball with sport specific donations.
Kim is making fans of many of us with her style of play and the energy she puts into the job. I watched this weekends game against Coastal, great game, great crowd.

What about women's volleyball? 😍

No doubt she has done better than Dan this season.
I do hope the momentum can be continued to the conference tournament.
My only real concern is their away record isn't good.

But to remain optimistic, the women aren't just winning their games, they are pummeling everyone they play.

I just posted over on the SBC BBS:

Big game on Wednesday when Marshall goes on the road to face JMU. The Dukes are allowing opponents 57.5 points per game, while the Herd is scoring nearly 85 points in conference games on average. Something’s gotta give in Harrisonburg!

I just posted over on the SBC BBS:
Don’t promote other boards on here.

Big game on Wednesday when Marshall goes on the road to face JMU. The Dukes are allowing opponents 57.5 points per game, while the Herd is scoring nearly 85 points in conference games on average. Something’s gotta give in Harrisonburg
So you’re saying that your posts on other boards are as worthless as the ones you post on here. Great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT