ADVERTISEMENT

The top 10 NFL careers by Marshall players

I think I would have to move NFL Hall of Famer Gunner Gatski above Troy Brown. Also I would put Norman "Wild Man" Willey in that list. 8 year NFL career, 2 time All Pro and once "unofficially" recorded 17 sacks in 1 game. The NFL didn't actually track sacks back then. My dad was a HS team mate of his at tiny Pine Grove HS in Wetzel County, WV

Reactions: BT4373
I think I would have to move NFL Hall of Famer Gunner Gatski above Troy Brown. Also I would put Norman "Wild Man" Willey in that list. 8 year NFL career, 2 time All Pro and once "unofficially" recorded 17 sacks in 1 game. The NFL didn't actually track sacks back then. My dad was a HS team mate of his at tiny Pine Grove HS in Wetzel County, WV

Like, I said in the blog having Gunner at 3 was most likely an undersell on my part. Realistically, Gunner could have occupied any of those top 3 spots without much argument from myself. As for Nrom Wiley, chalk that one up to an oversight on my part, he should have at the very least been an honorable mention, to be frank, I'm just now really learning about the man's career. I had heard the name before but not much else. (I'm young lol). Maybe, I'll do some more research on Norm and write a feature about the best Marshall players you might not know?

Good post. I sometimes forget how many guys from Marshall have had good to great NFL careers. Makes me proud.

We've had a lot for sure, and lots of guys win super bowl rings. Common theme when I was writing this post was injuries and what could have been for a lot of guys who didn't make the list and many of the guys who did make the list.

First, How can you say Mike Barber is the most sure handed WR in Marshall History when Josh Davis, Darius Watts, The most athletic WR in Football History Randy Moss, and Tommy Shular the career receptions leader all walked through that door. ALSO they did it at a MUCH higher level of football.

Secondly Doug Pederson is the head coach of the eagles NOT Jim Schwartz.

Ahmad never had a chance to compete for ANY job at UVA, he never made it to campus.

First, How can you say Mike Barber is the most sure handed WR in Marshall History when Josh Davis, Darius Watts, The most athletic WR in Football History Randy Moss, and Tommy Shular the career receptions leader all walked through that door. ALSO they did it at a MUCH higher level of football.

Ahmad never had a chance to compete for ANY job at UVA, he never made it to campus.

Ok let me start here. First I didn't say Barber was the most sure handed WR, I said he may be, meaning he's in the conversation. Also as good as Watts and Davis were neither would be considered when discussing "sure handedness" especially not Watts.

I didn't refer to Shwartz as the head coach, I refered to him as simply coach, and he is the Eagles Defensive cordinator, so he's an Eagles coach.

As far as Ahmad I may have incorrectly stated that. But, I'm pretty sure in my research for the piece I found an article where Keith Morehouse says he was up for the starting gig. May I read it wrong or maybe that article was wrong. I don't know. But, thanks for reading.

If you ever watched Barber play you would not have made that comment.

Uh only Moss had better NFL career than barber. That's how he can say it despite the competition. No one in league sniffed at shuler you fool

Uh only Moss had better NFL career than barber. That's how he can say it despite the competition. No one in league sniffed at shuler you fool

Well and Troy.. We've been blessed to have some great WRs and some of them have been better athletes than Barber. But, very few if any have had better hands. Moss to me is the only one who may have caught the ball more consistently than Barber. As good as Watts and Davis were both battled drop issues.

Last edited:
Yet the kid who is the all time leading receiver in school history isnt considered

In my opinion, Shular is Top 3 WR's all time in the history of this school Behind Moss and Brown and ahead of Watts and Davis

Yet the kid who is the all time leading receiver in school history isnt considered

In my opinion, Shular is Top 3 WR's all time in the history of this school Behind Moss and Brown and ahead of Watts and Davis

The list wasn't ranking our WRs. If I ranked our receivers, Tommy would probably come in 3rd or 4th for me as well.

As for the sure handed conversation you can put Shuler in there, that's more than fair. But, if you don't have Barber in that conversation too, then I don't think it is much of a conversation. Like I said, I didn't say Barber was definitively the most sure handed WR we've ever had. I said he may have been, and I stand by that. In my mind it is between him and Moss for that title. We can discuss Shuler but to me I'd put him just a shade under Barber and Moss in that department. Didn't have the flare for the dramatic catch that Moss nor Barber had. But, was always reliable in crunch time and very rarely dropped balls he should have caught, so I have no problem with Shuler being in the discussion.

that is because you are stupid. he played easy schedules. LOL

Well and Troy.. We've been blessed to have some great WRs and some of them have been better athletes than Barber. But, very few if any have had better hands. Moss to me is the only one who may have caught the ball more consistently than Barber. As good as Watts and Davis were both battled drop issues.

I didn't think of Watts, Davis and etc. because I was thinking of the title of the post:
"The top 10 NFL careers by Marshall players" I was thinking of their NFL stats.

If you get away from NFL..I think Tim Martin had 60 some catches Moss's first yr. He was very sure handed and fearless. Picked by the Lions it took a brain tumor to keep out of the league.

Since the title of the thread is "Top Ten Pro Careers", I don't think anyone who didn't make it to the NFL can be considered.. I agree with Fever about Shuler, as he is definitely top three(if not the top) among Herd receivers, but he didn't make the NFL (yet). Shuler definitely played against tougher competition than the others, but you can't take away Barber's, Moss's, or Browns talent as the DID have excellent NFL careers.

And, some people have awesome college careers, but just don't make it in the league.

if Randy, Troy, Watts, JD, James Williams, ect played in the same offense Shuler did...........

not taking ANYTHING away from Shu. he busted his ass and was great...but keep in mind, he had 3x the opportunity to catch passes (with most not "stretching" the field)

Wasn't Legg the OC for most of Watts and JD careers here?

he was the TE coach and recruiting coordinator '01-'02

Pass attempts per game:

1997 - 38
1998 - 36
1999 - 33
2000 - 40
2001 - 40
2002 - 44
2003 - 31
2004 - 35
2005 - 37
2006 - 25
2007 - 36
2008 - 29
2009 - 31
2010 - 35
2011 - 31
2012 - 51
2013 - 37
2014 - 34
2015 - 36

after researching the stats i withdraw my previous statement...lol. that 51 pass per game 2012 season has clouded my judgement...

Bill Legg

2008-09 - OC at FIU
2006-07 - co-OC at Purdue
2000 - OC at wVu
1988 - OC at WV TEch

the rest of his coaching was either lineman or TE

I say it is hard to compare the better WR we have had here. I mean Moss is by far the best ever. I feel Barbour was the most sure handed catcher I ever saw play here. Was he better than Brown or Shuler? I don't know. I mean Josh Davis and Darius Watts had great careers as well. Heres one for the older crowd. Fuzzy Fillez. At one time had the NCAA record for consecutive catches in a game. I wonder what he would have been able to do in the current pass happy offenses?

The thing is no one ever said that Shuler wasn't great or among the best WRs we have ever had. I simply referred to Barber as possibly the most "sure handed" WR we've ever had. Anyone who watched the guy play would agree that Barber is in that discussion. How, that got construed as a slight against Shu, I have no idea. Shuler is one of my favorite players to ever suit up for Marshall.

. Fuzzy Fillez. At one time had the NCAA record for consecutive catches in a game. I wonder what he would have been able to do in the current pass happy offenses?

I followed Fuzzy through his HS and Marshall career. He had absolutely GREAT hands. I would have loved to have seen in play in today's game.

How dare you not list Tommy in the top 3 NFL WR's from Marshall of all time!? And why didn't Stan Hill make the list? or Larry McCloud!? What a joke!

o_O

How dare you not list Tommy in the top 3 NFL WR's from Marshall of all time!? And why didn't Stan Hill make the list? or Larry McCloud!? What a joke!

o_O
The subject is: Top 10 NFL careers by Marshall players. Tommy Shuler, Stan Hill and Larry McCloud have not played a down in the NFL

The subject is: Top 10 NFL careers by Marshall players. Tommy Shuler, Stan Hill and Larry McCloud have not played a down in the NFL

giphy.gif

I would put Bart in there above Vinny just because of the longevity of his career.

I would think Billy Lyon deserves an honorable mention. He played six years in the league and saw a lot of time on the field.

Norm WIley was the huge miss. He is a top 5. 8 years in the league, 2 time pro bowler, six times named to All Pro Teams by the media (it was a little different back in the day)

I would put Bart in there above Vinny just because of the longevity of his career.

I would think Billy Lyon deserves an honorable mention. He played six years in the league and saw a lot of time on the field.

Norm WIley was the huge miss. He is a top 5. 8 years in the league, 2 time pro bowler, six times named to All Pro Teams by the media (it was a little different back in the day)

I have admitted that I missed on Norm Wiley lol. As for Billy Lyon I was close to putting him up there for an honorable mention but despite 6 years in the league he only managed 48 tackles. So I ultimately decided that the others had more impressive carers. But, 6 years in the league is nothing to sneeze at and I wouldn't tell you that you were wrong if you included him. As for Vinny I said his placement was based mainly on the potential his career has. In 5 years I could do this list again and he could be tip 5 or no where near it depending on if he reaches that potential or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT