ADVERTISEMENT

Theories On Chase Littons Sudden Departure

And that is your opinion. The difference is that mine actually considers what we have seen on the field for the last three years. And off the field for the last three as well.

If you think you saw one of the 96 (three per team) best QBs born between 1977 (Brady) and 1996 (2018-22=1996) you need to watch a WHOLE LOT more football, pro and college.

Where on earth did I say he was one of the 96 best QB’s during that period?

I said, in terms of raw ability he’s probably one of the three best QB’s to ever play at Marshall.

He’s 6’6, 232 pounds, above average arm strength, and a quick release. Besides that, he’s shown the ability to throw on the run.

Chase’s drawback is that he lacks consistency, but NFL minds will let that slide a lot of times when raw talent is involved. Look at Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch. Those guys are very similar to Litton and they’re both getting a paycheck.
Not being able to take a hit and staring down his receivers on almost every throw, kind of hard to throw him in the top 3 here...even based on raw ability. Can anyone on here think of ONE game in 3 years that he put the team on his back and won?

Not being able to take a hit and staring down his receivers on almost every throw, kind of hard to throw him in the top 3 here...even based on raw ability. Can anyone on here think of ONE game in 3 years that he put the team on his back and won?

I’m not defending Litton here. I’m explaining why he left and why NFL teams are showing interest.

I was agreeing with you. Mind you, sarcastically, but still. I was saying that most of what fills these forums is baseless speculation. You're welcome.

Kick-off is 8 months away. We've got to have something to talk about.

Reactions: JudgeDD
I don't get it...
Like 3 months ago, people couldn't wait for Litton to be benched and wanted Gaines to stupidly burn his redshirt and play.
2 years ago, people wanted Legg fired.

BOTH gave you your wish...and now you're sitting there scratching your heads, wondering what is going on and actually starting threads as to why Litton left, like it really is that big of a deal to you?
I love this, I can't imagine if Doc left, how dumb you all would be acting, trying to figure that one out...it also basically brings forth what I had said earlier in the season about all this.
Be careful what you wish for.
Everyone on here is busting Litton's chops for his decision to leave to the NFL...saying how "he could have had a great final season had he stayed" when just 3 months ago, everyone wanted him gone after the FIU game...actually since 2016 saying 'my 7 year old can throw better than he can!1'
Same with Legg, everyone wanted him gone and he actually goes and now people are sweating bullets because of it...and if Doc hires someone nobody likes, then the fans will be saying, "Well, at least Legg could coach an offense."

Reactions: AllEers6
I don't get it...
Like 3 months ago, people couldn't wait for Litton to be benched and wanted Gaines to stupidly burn his redshirt and play.

BOTH gave you your wish...and now you're sitting there scratching your heads, wondering what is going on and actually starting threads as to why Litton left, like it really is that big of a deal to you?
I love this, I can't imagine if Doc left, how dumb you all would be acting, trying to figure that one out...it also basically brings forth what I had said earlier in the season about all this.
Everyone on here is busting Litton's chops for his decision to leave to the NFL...saying how "he could have had a great final season had he stayed" when just 3 months ago, everyone wanted him gone after the FIU game...actually since 2016 saying 'my 7 year old can throw better than he can!1'
Same with Legg, everyone wanted him gone and he actually goes and now people are sweating bullets because of it...and if Doc hires someone nobody likes, then the fans will be saying, "Well, at least Legg could coach an offense."

There is a lot of truth in this post. From my understanding Bill stepped aside in part to help his friend Doc Holiday out of a jam but also I think Bill thought it was a good time because the entire offense was back with an experienced QB. Now with no QB the offense and in some ways the entire with Heater leaving is in transition. No one saw this coming. I think the steady hand of Bill Legg would be a better fit for this transition but its to late now.

Litton, I was on his tail because his soph season was sooooo bad that I was on his butt all season. He really did have a good year and wished he had stayed both for him and our program. I think a new offense was a concern for him and putting up NFL style numbers so he left

Everyone on here is busting Litton's chops for his decision to leave to the NFL...saying how "he could have had a great final season had he stayed"

I have not seen anyone say anything like that. I, for one, am glad to see this program cancer gone. Personally, I think he realized he was going to be benched and just quit. He has a history of quitting. Most posters on the CL seem to divide into two groups. Those who follow football and who are mostly indifferent to happy to see him gone, and the delusional who ACTUALLY BELIEVE that a mediocre QB from a G5 CUSA mid-packer with conduct issues is actually going to play professional football.

NFL teams are showing interest.

There are? Which ones? Link please.

Reactions: johns1124
I don't get it...

I'm perfectly cool with what's transpired. Good for Litton.
I am very excited to have a new OC and new QB. Gonna be fun.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
I have not seen anyone say anything like that. I, for one, am glad to see this program cancer gone. Personally, I think he realized he was going to be benched and just quit. He has a history of quitting. Most posters on the CL seem to divide into two groups. Those who follow football and who are mostly indifferent to happy to see him gone, and the delusional who ACTUALLY BELIEVE that a mediocre QB from a G5 CUSA mid-packer with conduct issues is actually going to play professional football.

There are? Which ones? Link please.

I don’t have a link. Just know what I was told.

One thing I will say in Litton's defense: in a lot of other programs, he would have just completed his Sophomore year. It's not as if he doesn't have room (or time) to improve before he ages out of consideration by NFL teams.

I'm not a fan of playing true freshmen at QB because you're trading a year of them at 22 for a year of them at 19. Hopefully Green is the truth; he'll be the first "annointed" starter of the Holliday era to get a redshirt year.

Reactions: ToesMU
I was agreeing with you. Mind you, sarcastically, but still. I was saying that most of what fills these forums is baseless speculation. You're welcome.

Thanks for the clarity JudgeDD.....another example of social media.....the "receiver" not understanding what the "sender".. meant. Good luck to your sons in 2018.

Zilla22

I doubt we beat Cincy....Colorado State...MTSU...without Chase at the helm.......You asked....I delivered.

Zilla22

My point Judge....all the negative comments about Chase are pointless and hurtful. I doubt you would entertain negative comments about your sons...or players? Time to move on to another subject...just my opinion.... Your lsdt namebidnt thaxton is it?

It's beginning to sound like CNN.....

Zilla22

A New York Met's scout said I had raw ability in the spring of 1980, but here I sit, never made it to the show, or the minors.

Somewhere Sam C is crapping himself...lol.
Oh if he even got drafted and made a team, regardless of where he was on the depth chart, would cause many on here and at MU in general, to lose their collective minds...

It would be glorious.
It would also show he should have went somewhere else. Why the herd had a nfl qb and didnt know it and he didnt prove he wss

It would also show he should have went somewhere else. Why the herd had a nfl qb and didnt know it and he didnt prove he wss

People seem to be blaming CL for getting Legg fired.
If he turns out to be an NFL QB, expect many to blame Doc and Legg for "not doing more." Then wallowing back to 2016 and showering themselves in misery and self pity, ask 'why? Why?' Then cry and say, "whats the point?"

Reactions: AllEers6
Chase was excellent against UC but he threw for 168 yards and 0 TDs against MTSU.

He was good in the first half against CSU but brutal in the 2nd. Remember that INT late in the game?

Yes I do Chris....but I also recall some dropped passes that should have been completed against CSU....and he lead us on the final drive with some sound completions.....

Zilla22

Ummmm the final drive against Florida Atlantic with (3:14) seconds in regulation.Go back and watch that sequence. That's Chase on the road in a first place conference game when we were (6-1). Go watch that particular part of the film, we began the drive at the 18-yard line.

[If Litton can land a practice team qb That would be awesome. 100 grand a year probably great benefits. Working to get better hoping for a call to the Join the team.Sounds like a good life. He makes it to a team and plays Sunday's then he is a millionaire and him and his family can celebrate a super Job by Chase. Been hard at times on Litton. No need talking of his past. Its all about a Herd player reaching for a star and that demands our respect. He has a shot at the NFL. He has to be special.

[If Litton can land a practice team qb That would be awesome. 100 grand a year probably great benefits. Working to get better hoping for a call to the Join the team.Sounds like a good life. He makes it to a team and plays Sunday's then he is a millionaire and him and his family can celebrate a super Job by Chase. Been hard at times on Litton. No need talking of his past. Its all about a Herd player reaching for a star and that demands our respect. He has a shot at the NFL. He has to be special.
Players don't earn full salaries on the practice squad. They make a minimum of $6,300 per week on the practice squad. This would come to $102,000 over a full season, compared to a rookie minimum salary of $420,000
But teams are allowed to pay more.

Reactions: sistersville
So to dismiss it as wrong is saying the board is wrong...not just an individual.

giphy.gif

And that’s your opinion.

The facts are that one of the more respected sports agencies saw enough in Chase to sign him.

In terms of raw ability, Chase is probably only behind Byron and possibly Payton. A lot of times, raw ability is all NFL coaches care for.
This whole post is overrating him. He has nfl size and can throw. Only 2things going for him. Be awesome if he gets plcked up. I thought jr vanhoose was a very good bb player. He had a better chance in the nba than chase in the NFL. Glad what I think has zero bearing of what happens to him. Cato wasnt good enough so im pretty sure chase is not either. We all should be pulling hard for litton. Im excited to see if our next qb isn't alot better than chase.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I thought jr vanhoose was a very good bb player. He had a better chance in the nba than chase in the NFL.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. I’m not even advocating that Chase is going to get drafted or that he’s going to be successful in the league, but this statement is laughable.

Vanhoose couldn’t hold Brandon Hunter’s jock in the MAC much less play in the league. At least Chase has some raw talent that would make him attractive for GM’s. Vanhoose was a soft, 6’10 guy that couldn’t jump much higher than me.

I get you're trying to make a point, but J.R. played four years and graduated from Marshall, he was a good student, never got into trouble, and didn't single-handedly destroy team chemistry and wreck the entire program. That should get him a pass from being called "soft" on a Marshall message board, especially by a mod.

I get you're trying to make a point, but J.R. played four years and graduated from Marshall, he was a good student, never got into trouble, and didn't single-handedly destroy team chemistry and wreck the entire program. That should get him a pass from being called "soft" on a Marshall message board, especially by a mod.

I’m not saying he wasn’t a good ball player in the MAC, but in terms of NBA ability, he was soft.

This whole post is overrating him. He has nfl size and can throw. Only 2things going for him. Be awesome if he gets plcked up. I thought jr vanhoose was a very good bb player. He had a better chance in the nba than chase in the NFL. Glad what I think has zero bearing of what happens to him. Cato wasnt good enough so im pretty sure chase is not either. We all should be pulling hard for litton. Im excited to see if our next qb isn't alot better than chase.

Cato's size was what held him back.

If the NFL is going the way some speculate, it could pave the way for the average QB to be more looked at by front offices than Heisman winners. I say this because the SB could be Bortles vs. Keenum, one who is the next Trent Dilfer and the other was undrafted.
I think Chase has a shot at it. Its depends largely on his attitude because he has enough skills and size to get looks. Most of his mechanics that are not good, are things a solid coach could get him to stop doing.

Reactions: sistersville
Cato's size was what held him back.

If the NFL is going the way some speculate, it could pave the way for the average QB to be more looked at by front offices than Heisman winners. I say this because the SB could be Bortles vs. Keenum, one who is the next Trent Dilfer and the other was undrafted.
I think Chase has a shot at it. Its depends largely on his attitude because he has enough skills and size to get looks. Most of his mechanics that are not good, are things a solid coach could get him to stop doing.
Good post.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Not saying he was NBA but he also had a bad knee for the last couple of years.

And I know and understand that. Like I said, he was a very good player for Marshall, but saying his chances were better in professional basketball than Chase’s are the NFL is simply ludicrous.

Litton isn't exactly tough mentally. Probably the weakest MU QB I have ever seen mentally. Hell, he bailed on the team against WKU.

Albeit not enough, he improved quite a bit in that department in 2017.

Again, I’m not saying he’s going to be a top 2 or 3 round pick. I just think he has a shot at getting drafted in the later rounds with his raw ability and Steinberg backing him.

Reactions: CarolinaHerdzilla
Albeit not enough, he improved quite a bit in that department in 2017.

Again, I’m not saying he’s going to be a top 2 or 3 round pick. I just think he has a shot at getting drafted in the later rounds with his raw ability and Steinberg backing him.

AGREE with Josh.....

Zilla22

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT