ADVERTISEMENT

Think this would work at Marshall?

So how would Marshall do this? Temple does 1-9...do we do numbers; 7, 10, 88, and 75 with some other ones exclusively?

Maybe do a sponsor auction instead of a set number of $50,000??? I dunno.

Reactions: caliherd
Once again nothing for the thousands of average fans. This is nothing more than a "big bucks" deal.

All4TheHerd don't you think a donation of $50,000 dollars to sponsor a jersey number is a little "excessive"? Can you afford to do that? If you can great but I dare say most Herd fans simply cannot. If we all could donate $50,000 dollars per player jersey the Joan would have to add boxes all around the stadium. I have no idea what a good number would be. Why don't we wait and see how it works this season at Temple.

The other “exclusive benefits” include travel on the team plane to one away game, a custom jersey and "interaction with your assigned student-athlete throughout the year.”

Well what could possibly go wrong here.:confused:

Love how schools can pimp their players out and the NCAA is just fine with it.

Last edited:
All4TheHerd don't you think a donation of $50,000 dollars to sponsor a jersey number is a little "excessive"? Can you afford to do that? If you can great but I dare say most Herd fans simply cannot. If we all could donate $50,000 dollars per player jersey the Joan would have to add boxes all around the stadium. I have no idea what a good number would be. Why don't we wait and see how it works this season at Temple.

Of course I do. I actually was in agreement with you about changing the approach to being more of an auction and not a hefty $50,000 price tag...just as an idea thrown out there.
Your response seemed a bit too dismissive of the idea.
I think it's a creative idea and with the area Temple is in, there are donors who could afford this.
However, like it was said, it seems very risky to have a donor sponsoring a number a player wears, then encouraging interactions between the two.
On paper, it looks great, but we all know these donors and boosters...

Hell, imagine if Texas did this. $50,000 would be laughed at...and the player would get an insane amount of money and illegal benefits.

I don't see it working real well but who knows.

The other “exclusive benefits” include..."interaction with your assigned student-athlete throughout the year.”

I feel like they could skip the jersey and just sponsor the jock.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
The other “exclusive benefits” include travel on the team plane to one away game, a custom jersey and "interaction with your assigned student-athlete throughout the year.”

Well what could possibly go wrong here.:confused:

Love how schools can pimp their players out and the NCAA is just fine with it.

I know this is likely to be a unpopular opinion but.... If the player actually thought about it, this could be a huge opportunity. The people who are offering $50,000 to sponsor a number, they are likely wealthy business people. So, if they have a real major (business, sciences, medical, etc.) there could be an opportunity to develop a relationship/mentoring situation who has access/connections to benefit them after they finish school. If you gave me the opportunity to develop a relationship with one of the most wealthy business people in the area while I was getting my business degree I would have jumped at it. There is a lot to gain from knowing successful people. Of course, it may not turn into anything but it can't hurt. I just don't think acting like there is literally no benefit to the player is correct.

I know this is likely to be a unpopular opinion but.... If the player actually thought about it, this could be a huge opportunity. The people who are offering $50,000 to sponsor a number, they are likely wealthy business people. So, if they have a real major (business, sciences, medical, etc.) there could be an opportunity to develop a relationship/mentoring situation who has access/connections to benefit them after they finish school. If you gave me the opportunity to develop a relationship with one of the most wealthy business people in the area while I was getting my business degree I would have jumped at it. There is a lot to gain from knowing successful people. Of course, it may not turn into anything but it can't hurt. I just don't think acting like there is literally no benefit to the player is correct.

And how many players are in "real" majors?
I agree that this would be good for some players, but that population is very small and could be argued as a non-effective contributor on the field. A pre-med student also a good athlete is tough to find, especially if Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, etc, haven't taken them already.

And how many players are in "real" majors?
I agree that this would be good for some players, but that population is very small and could be argued as a non-effective contributor on the field. A pre-med student also a good athlete is tough to find, especially if Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, etc, haven't taken them already.

Sure the STUDENT athletes may not be taking a quality major or the best potential classes but you can't force someone to do the smart thing. I think one thing that always gets lost in the arguments for/against player compensation/player benefits is that just because the player doesn't value the benefit, doesn't mean it is not a benefit.

Sure the STUDENT athletes may not be taking a quality major or the best potential classes but you can't force someone to do the smart thing. I think one thing that always gets lost in the arguments for/against player compensation/player benefits is that just because the player doesn't value the benefit, doesn't mean it is not a benefit.

I agree, but until it's emphasized more, it'll always be an afterthought.

Hell, most D-1 athletes have a difficult time writing their own names.

Yeah...about that...

http://www.splc.org/blog/splc/2014/...letes-read-well-below-college-literacy-levels

Alright, I may have been a little extreme about writing their names (although some legitimately can't, its a very small number), but as a collective whole, many athletes are sent into the world with absolutely zero clue on how anything works.
Its sad to see happen to people but hey, its nothing personal, its just business...

"At the schools CNN studied, between 7 percent and 18 percent of revenue-sport athletes read well below national college averages."

Is it just me, or does this statement not seem that bad? I would expect to see a percentage drop in reading/math/academic skills from the general student population to the revenue-sports population. To say that less than 20% of those athletes read below the average seems pretty good.

*Disclaimer: I don't know what well below is defined as, or if this percentage also includes athletes that are, even by a small number, below average.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
"At the schools CNN studied, between 7 percent and 18 percent of revenue-sport athletes read well below national college averages."

Is it just me, or does this statement not seem that bad? I would expect to see a percentage drop in reading/math/academic skills from the general student population to the revenue-sports population. To say that less than 20% of those athletes read below the average seems pretty good.

*Disclaimer: I don't know what well below is defined as, or if this percentage also includes athletes that are, even by a small number, below average.

I found it more bad that UNC Chapel Hill was a culprit. We all know of their academic fraud but they REALLY didn't educate their athletes.

Reactions: JudgeDD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT