ADVERTISEMENT

This really blew me away……

Every year I think it will not be better than previous ceremony’s. Every year is better than the last one. Tremendous job by everyone, especially student government, who annually is charged with organizing & presenting. The community turned up aces, as usual. All the speakers were outstanding, including Coach Huff, who had the unenviable task of following Brad Smith.
The keynote speaker was unique, and I learned a thing or two about campus unrest that was occurring just before The Crash.

Highly recommend watching, I feel certain you should be able to see a replay…..
Go Herd!
WS

“In Memoriam”
A poem by Mr. Cletus K. Blackburn, Matewan, WV
First published in late 1970

“As the huge plane glided through the sky, in sight of the homeward goal, hearts were glad, and hearts were sad, as the tales of the game were told. Some were soured on the breaks of the game, and felt they had been unfair, while others took the loss in stride as tension filled the air. They had provided many thrills that day for the loyal fans that came, to watch the Marshall Thundering Herd play their last great game. The game was played amid shouts and cheers, but the Herd had lost by three. For fate had been against this team, and was destined to always be. But the dampened spirits soon grew gay, for the team would soon be home! The game of the day forgotten now to each, his thoughts, his own. There were no thoughts of impending doom, that death could be so near. Young hearts were now so happy and gay and their lives, they held so dear. The lights of the city shown through the night with familiar scenes in view, as the airport’s lights streaked the sky to guide the great plane through. Another passenger was on the plane, a face that was unseen. The death angel had come to get God a football team.
A thundering noise then rent the night amid screams and shouts of fear, as the great plane dived in a fiery crash and a debt was paid so dear. Newsmen, coaches, fans and team, as well as the plane’s own crew, had paid the price we all must pay; it’s appointed to me and you.
But another game will be played on high around God‘s great white throne, for the Thundering Herd is the team he chose to be his very own. The gridiron won’t be like down here, on the rough and muddy sod, but a soft and billowy white cloud held by the hand of God.

Wow.

The rest, of the story:

After speaking last Nov 14th, his first as President of our university, Brad received a note attached to a faded news clipping from a person who wrote he found it in his grandmother’s hope chest in Florida, and he wanted Brad to have it. The news clipping now is framed and hangs on a wall in the President’s office.

I encourage any of you that were moved by reading the above to go watch Brad’s remarks, which begin around the 17:00 minute mark. You’ll be glad you did.

Also: Hard to believe:
Brad Smith is the first alumnus to serve as Marshall’s President in the 186 year history of the school………..

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
“In Memoriam”
A poem by Mr. Cletus K. Blackburn, Matewan, WV
First published in late 1970

“As the huge plane glided through the sky, in sight of the homeward goal, hearts were glad, and hearts were sad, as the tales of the game were told. Some were soured on the breaks of the game, and felt they had been unfair, while others took the loss in stride as tension filled the air. They had provided many thrills that day for the loyal fans that came, to watch the Marshall Thundering Herd play their last great game. The game was played amid shouts and cheers, but the Herd had lost by three. For fate had been against this team, and was destined to always be. But the dampened spirits soon grew gay, for the team would soon be home! The game of the day forgotten now to each, his thoughts, his own. There were no thoughts of impending doom, that death could be so near. Young hearts were now so happy and gay and their lives, they held so dear. The lights of the city shown through the night with familiar scenes in view, as the airport’s lights streaked the sky to guide the great plane through. Another passenger was on the plane, a face that was unseen. The death angel had come to get God a football team.
A thundering noise then rent the night amid screams and shouts of fear, as the great plane dived in a fiery crash and a debt was paid so dear. Newsmen, coaches, fans and team, as well as the plane’s own crew, had paid the price we all must pay; it’s appointed to me and you.
But another game will be played on high around God‘s great white throne, for the Thundering Herd is the team he chose to be his very own. The gridiron won’t be like down here, on the rough and muddy sod, but a soft and billowy white cloud held by the hand of God.

Wow.

The rest, of the story:

After speaking last Nov 14th, his first as President of our university, Brad received a note attached to a faded news clipping from a person who wrote he found it in his grandmother’s hope chest in Florida, and he wanted Brad to have it. The news clipping now is framed and hangs on a wall in the President’s office.

I encourage any of you that were moved by reading the above to go watch Brad’s remarks, which begin around the 17:00 minute mark. You’ll be glad you did.

Also: Hard to believe:
Brad Smith is the first alumnus to serve as Marshall’s President in the 186 year history of the school………..
Brad is a great person and alum. The fact that he grew up 2 miles from the crash site is something as well. We are very fortunate to have he and Alyss here. Hope they stay many years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT