ADVERTISEMENT

This sums up what is wrong in America today

jackmob5225

Silver Buffalo
Jun 13, 2011
I'm ok with the protest, but if I were the teacher I'd tell the class "if you grow up and rob people and come at an armed cop, expect to be shot. Now line up and get your asses outside."

I suspect that if these kids used their recess to hold up signs supporting the police that you'd not be motivated to start this thread. I think your main objection is the fact that the protest goes against your personal views. I'm a teacher and I have mixed views here. If this was truly student driven I would have no problem with it. It was during recess so it didn't take class time. The right to peacefully assemble in protest is a constitutional guarantee. However, if this is something that is being driven by the teacher(s), I'd object because these students should not be used as pawns to express the views of adults.

I'd have to know more about this.

My problem with this is that the facts are being ignored. This man did not have his hands up in the traditional way people are portraying. Plus these kids are in 2nd grade!!!! If you want to conduct something like this in high school where kids are able to make decisions for themselves maybe. But what bothers me the most is the facts are being ignored period.

That is my point!!! The people involved who used children for their own agenda should be held accountable. I'm not asking they get fired but they need to be disciplined so this doesn't happen again.

I wouldn't want elementary school teachers to teach kids that peaceful protest is a bad thing by breaking it up, no matter what it's about.

Originally posted by GK4Herd:

I suspect that if these kids used their recess to hold up signs supporting the police that you'd not be motivated to start this thread. I think your main objection is the fact that the protest goes against your personal views. I'm a teacher and I have mixed views here. If this was truly student driven I would have no problem with it. It was during recess so it didn't take class time. The right to peacefully assemble in protest is a constitutional guarantee. However, if this is something that is being driven by the teacher(s), I'd object because these students should not be used as pawns to express the views of adults.

I'd have to know more about this.
Law school professor and law board examiners LOVE (love, I tell ya) to write test first amendment questions using students, usually junior high and high school aged. As a consequence, when studying constitutional law the first and second times around, you get heavy doses of opinionated students and disheveled teachers and administrators, and you are frequently asked to evaluate student and teacher/admin actions with regard to standing first amendment doctrine(s). There are two biggies regarding student "speech" - one for speech in print matter and one regarding protests. Admittedly, I hate to look up the case names as they have long been shuffled down the rabbit trails of the mind.

Premise aside, while I generally agree with what you are saying, and tend to take a broad view of the first amendment (even for speech I'm not particularly enamored with), unfortunately, first amendment doctrine as it currently stands really puts teachers and administrators in a speech-squelching position. Tinker is the one applicable here - regarding "protest" speech - and awkwardly states that teachers and admins may only suppress of student speech if it will "materially and
substantially disrupt the work and discipline of the school." You can immediately detect the issue of determining how something as malleable as the quoted language can be decided on a case by case basis (no hard and fast rule here). A teacher/admin has at least four decisions to make on language and definition: is this disrupting? if so, does it disrupt work? or does it disrupt discipline? even if so, is it materially disruptive of x? or, is it substantially disrupting of x? That's a lot of sketchy questions to try and answer to err on the side of more speech, while the instinct is the call everything disrupting to teaching and/or discipline, and err on the side of less speech to keep the peace.

And, it is a tricky paradigm to work within because where else but in school should ideas, pros and cons, popular and dissenting, be discussed? But since we live in a society that thrives on pop-culture controversy while steering clear of interpersonal controversies and conflicts, we are really encouraged to be a society of Springer audience members than participants in civil public debate, since it is more fun to oooh and aaah at those on the stage.

Tough gig and not many good choices available.

Needed to finish my thoughts -- in this instance, there is a reasonable chance that one or more parents will sue the district/board on some of the basis that you alluded to, that the students were coerced and any reasonable teacher/admin (other than the one(s) that promoted the protest) created a disruption or potential (future) disruption in the discipline of the students. These cases are always weird and fact sensitive, and sometimes lead to some sketchy or poorly reasoned decisions. All of those "words" above that need to be interpreted often turn on the level of abstraction applied, so predicting outcomes is uber-problematic, imo, but concede I don't keep up with the various circuits' development and treatment of this doctrine, so I could be wildly off-base on the "problematic" nature of the issue(s). FWIW.
This post was edited on 12/17 12:32 PM by -Olen-

I think the problem here is that with the protest being on school time (not instructional, but school time none the less), it gives the appearance of being school led or school endorsed. I think the best way to handle this situation would be to say that the kids were welcome to organize any way they please during recess and non-instructional situations. But the protest itself would have to be off school property and after school hours.

I don't think that a school should throw their ring into the hat of poitical opinion.

The picture in the story shows 20 little kids standing by the street with no adult in the frame. That's alarming. Wonder if the teacher was the one across the street taking the picture?

...If this was truly student driven....
They're second graders.

When I was in second grade I was driven to eat pizza, play basketball/kickball/tag, build forts, play nintendo, legos, and that's about it. I don't recall interest in protests.

This is about as student driven as elementary school field day competitions are student driven. The teacher says field day is on day X, students get excited about it, and participate in it. They don't organize it, they just show up.

Originally posted by -CarlHungus-:

They're second graders.

When I was in second grade I was driven to eat pizza, play basketball/kickball/tag, build forts, play nintendo, legos, and that's about it. I don't recall interest in protests.

This is about as student driven as elementary school field day competitions are student driven. The teacher says field day is on day X, students get excited about it, and participate in it. They don't organize it, they just show up.
I agree. Parents could be driving it also...but I doubt it.

They're second graders.

Agreed, it very well could be parent driven.

They're second graders.

Agreed, it very well could be parent driven.
2nd graders are also exposed to a lot more media than when any of us were in 2nd grade, which I am sure as changed a few things.

Yeah, my wife teaches 3rd grade. The kids are exposed to more but they aren't protest organizers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT