ADVERTISEMENT

Thundering Herd vs Igles game thread..

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
if it were a boxing match:
“Well, the champ hardly broke a sweat, breezing through the 1st 5 rounds. In the other corner, the Eagles wait. Ding!!

We just didn’t make enough, rebound enough or defend enough. All credit to Doc Sadler and his guys. They are a tough team. Still proud of our team, always will be! Go Herd!!!

Reactions: kdbherdon
Jansen Williams has to be one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen play college basketball.

I’m sad to see the Herd lose, it was an exciting run and I thought they had it for a while. Just can’t get outrebounded that badly, and play poorly on the defensive end and win consistently.

Jansen Williams has to be one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen play college basketball.

I’m sad to see the Herd lose, it was an exciting run and I thought they had it for a while. Just can’t get outrebounded that badly, and play poorly on the defensive end and win consistently.
reds - you are so right.

The Williams kid played good basketball. Not too certain what game you were watching. He shot the basketball well and oh bye the way young man, go guard one of their bigz and rebound too! He performed and played good ball.

He had 17 in the first 10 minutes of the game. Finished with I believe 22.

So... he had a great 10 minutes offensively.
He got 3 rebounds. 3. Tell me again that he had a good game... as our big man. With THREE rebounds.

And that’s not even counting the times he was slow to rotate or out of position defensively and allowed his man to score. Including a play where literally he let the guy drive in unchecked for the score.

He got 3 rebounds. 3. Tell me again that he had a good game... as our big man. With THREE rebounds.

And that’s not even counting the times he was slow to rotate or out of position defensively and allowed his man to score. Including a play where literally he let the guy drive in unchecked for the score.
Not to argue, but So Miss plays with guards and wing players. Williams was the biggest guy on the floor & was mismatched defensively. So Miss only had 6 offensive rebounds and most of those were off of long bounces from missed 3pt attempts. We didn’t lose because of rebounding. We didn’t turn them over enough (tough to do when all 5 can handle) and they shot the 3 better than we did.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Not to argue, but So Miss plays with guards and wing players. Williams was the biggest guy on the floor & was mismatched defensively. So Miss only had 6 offensive rebounds and most of those were off of long bounces from missed 3pt attempts. We didn’t lose because of rebounding. We didn’t turn them over enough (tough to do when all 5 can handle) and they shot the 3 better than we did.

I have to disagree with you. There were plenty of opportunities for Jansen to grab rebounds. He’s never in good position and just didn’t look interested. If you don’t think a 19 rebound differential would make a difference in a 9 point game then I don’t know what to tell you.

If he’s so mismatched on defense then why is he out there the whole game?

I have to disagree with you. There were plenty of opportunities for Jansen to grab rebounds. He’s never in good position and just didn’t look interested. If you don’t think a 19 rebound differential would make a difference in a 9 point game then I don’t know what to tell you.

Because if you don’t play him, you play George. We needed Williams’ offense over what slight improvement George would give us defensively.

They got 6 offensive rebounds the whole game and I can remember 2 of those were run down outside the perimeter. So, its Jannson’s fault we didn’t get 4 rebounds...and that cost us the game? Where are these “plenty” of chances?

Because if you don’t play him, you play George. We needed Williams’ offense over what slight improvement George would give us defensively.

They got 6 offensive rebounds the whole game and I can remember 2 of those were run down outside the perimeter. So, its Jannson’s fault we didn’t get 4 rebounds...and that cost us the game? Where are these “plenty” of chances?

He scored 5 points the last 30 minutes of the game so let’s stop acting like he was a huge contributor of the course of the game. We grabbed 1 offensive board I can think of at least one he had in his hands and didn’t bring it in.

And again, defense actually matters. He didn’t play it. He was outmatched all game. His rotations were slow or just plain out of position and as a result more times than not USM had a ton of open shots.

There is no reason you should shoot 45% from 3pt and lose by 9 points.

You can say we needed to turn them over all you want, but we were tied in turnovers so that’s a wash. The glaring stats? We got outrebounded by almost double, AND we let them shoot 52% from 3. That’s your ballgame. Jansen Williams defense/rebounding or lack thereof, is enough to make the difference in the game.

He scored 5 points the last 30 minutes of the game so let’s stop acting like he was a huge contributor of the course of the game. We grabbed 1 offensive board I can think of at least one he had in his hands and didn’t bring it in.

And again, defense actually matters. He didn’t play it. He was outmatched all game. His rotations were slow or just plain out of position and as a result more times than not USM had a ton of open shots.

There is no reason you should shoot 45% from 3pt and lose by 9 points.

You can say we needed to turn them over all you want, but we were tied in turnovers so that’s a wash. The glaring stats? We got outrebounded by almost double, AND we let them shoot 52% from 3. That’s your ballgame. Jansen Williams defense/rebounding or lack thereof, is enough to make the difference in the game.
CJ Burks played a lot worse than Jannson.

I didn’t say CJ played well. He had a bad game for sure. My point is he is not very good defensively and it hurt us this year. I was talking about this game tonight but I’ve noticed it in every game I’ve watched this year. He’s overmatched consistently on the defensive side of the ball. It’s really hard to win like that. When your lone “big” doesn’t rebound and doesn’t defend well.

I didn’t say CJ played well. He had a bad game for sure. My point is he is not very good defensively and it hurt us this year. I was talking about this game tonight but I’ve noticed it in every game I’ve watched this year. He’s overmatched consistently on the defensive side of the ball. It’s really hard to win like that. When your lone “big” doesn’t rebound and doesn’t defend well.
& im not saying he’s a good defender/rebounder. Just that there were more important things we didn’t do AS A TEAM that cost us the game. 3pt defense is one of those things.

They slaughtered us on points in the paint, and some/much of that, enough to cover the point spread, 9, were off of offensive rebounds. They led in total rebounds, 39-20, almost 2 to 1. We had a pitiful ONE offensive rebound. We only shot 42% from the field overall, but had but 1 O rebound, even though from our shooting %, the opportunities were there. Rebounding is in large part due to effort and desire. Not much of either from the Herd tonight, apart from Elmore!!

what beat us down the stretch was the whole team, 1) was tired 2) they were nervous and didn’t want to lose 3) got out played by a relatively equal team.....

I saw way to much dribbling each possession and not much movement, when the games on the line what a coach should do is call good timeouts, heavily rotate players, and draw up a play that’s so awesome we can win the game..... Elmore should have been sitting around the 8 min mark all while your rotating guys in ... we were physically beat the last 5-6 mins

what beat us down the stretch was the whole team, 1) was tired 2) they were nervous and didn’t want to lose 3) got out played by a relatively equal team.....

I saw way to much dribbling each possession and not much movement, when the games on the line what a coach should do is call good timeouts, heavily rotate players, and draw up a play that’s so awesome we can win the game..... Elmore should have been sitting around the 8 min mark all while your rotating guys in ... we were physically beat the last 5-6 mins

How were they nervous? I just saw a team that was out coached. I didn’t feel like we had the right personnel on the floor and we suffered.

Also, southern miss is a superior team

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
How were they nervous? I just saw a team that was out coached. I didn’t feel like we had the right personnel on the floor and we suffered.

We definitely got out coached down the stretch of that game.

Reactions: Ninegate
Tell me again that he had a good game... as our big man.
Of course he had a terrible game as a big man - that's not the kind of player he is.

We've got two Centers on the roster, one who came into the season overweight (and later suffered a season-ending injury because of it) despite being on campus for well over a year, and the other is one of those Eastern European projects that's going to need two years to learn how to dribble.

If you wanna get salty, sure, but don't blame Williams, blame the coach that put him in that position.

I think Jansen needs to work on his foot work
[lots of guys in America need the same]...and I bet he is aware of this---and will put in the time to improve his defense. My opinion ONLY---I saw vast improvement from Williams on the defensive side of the ball this season! His shooting in the first half against the Golden Eagles kept The HERD in the game & he should be given credit for his shot making.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: herdinatl

EXCELLENT ANALOGY..
....the Golden Eagles are a seasoned bunch and well coached. They are tough as nails! Remember, So Miss laid it on MU during that terrible road stretch, winning by 50 pts. I was proud that our guys fought to the final whistle---I am proud to be a MARSHALL graduate and our HOOPS team made me proud last night.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Hey COACH redsfan5590....JUST WHO would you have put into The Herd's lineup to replace Jansen? Waiting---Waiting---Waiting----

You remind me of Democrat candidates that have entered the 2020 Presidential race that "speak in generalities---with NO SUBSTANCE or a GAME PLAN!"

HerdZilla22 In Charlotte

Reactions: herdinatl

JUST how many college or high school VICTORIES
do you have===redsfan5590.....and while I'm at it--- you are a disgrace to the Cincy Reds too!

Gary Sweeney (Dan's Cuz-in-Law in Charlotte (HerdZilla22)

CJ disappointed last post season and that trend continued this year.

Here we friggin' go
...it was Dan's fought we lost to a "tuff as nails" squad that had a 50-point victory against The HERD a month ago!

Dan NO longer suits up!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Meaning of Nervous - easily agitated or alarmed; tending to be anxious, maybe Anxious is what I should have said... What I witnessed was southern miss tightened up the D and Marshall couldn’t handle it, they knew they had to start scoring and they cracked, the plays weren’t setup and they were “nervously” trying to get a open shot which resulted in missed shots or a turnover... so either they were Nervous or trying way to hard to let Jon get a open shot off... way to much dribbling and way to many forced shots... southern miss Defense did what they had to do and Marshall couldn’t handle it, coach should have changed gears and calmed them down with about 5mins left in the game... but it’s all history now and I’m not the coach... great season and congrats to the strong finish!!

And southern miss is not a “SUPERIOR” team!
Virginia, duke, Tennessee are a superior!

They are not going to win the tournament and they will not be in the big dance in my opinion...

Of course he had a terrible game as a big man - that's not the kind of player he is.

We've got two Centers on the roster, one who came into the season overweight (and later suffered a season-ending injury because of it) despite being on campus for well over a year, and the other is one of those Eastern European projects that's going to need two years to learn how to dribble.

If you wanna get salty, sure, but don't blame Williams, blame the coach that put him in that position.

I agree. And maybe I was unfair/unclear in my judgement. I’m not saying he’s a bad kid or should he cut. Just that he hurt us defensively last night. Ultimately that’s on the coaching staff.

I just didn’t really want to come in with “Danny got outcoached” (which he did) because we know how that goes.

Reactions: herdalicious
EXCELLENT ANALOGY......the Golden Eagles are a seasoned bunch and well coached. They are tough as nails! Remember, So Miss laid it on MU during that terrible road stretch, winning by 50 pts. I was proud that our guys fought to the final whistle---I am proud to be a MARSHALL graduate and our HOOPS team made me proud last night.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

No part of what he said was an analogy...

Hey COACH redsfan5590....JUST WHO would you have put into The Herd's lineup to replace Jansen? Waiting---Waiting---Waiting----

You remind me of Democrat candidates that have entered the 2020 Presidential race that "speak in generalities---with NO SUBSTANCE or a GAME PLAN!"

HerdZilla22 In Charlotte

If there is no one to put into the lineup it rests on the recruiting of the coach.

JUST how many college or high school VICTORIES do you have===redsfan5590.....and while I'm at it--- you are a disgrace to the Cincy Reds too!

Gary Sweeney (Dan's Cuz-in-Law in Charlotte (HerdZilla22)

I’ve got more than you.

Here we friggin' go...it was Dan's fought we lost to a "tuff as nails" squad that had a 50-point victory against The HERD a month ago!

Dan NO longer suits up!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Haha I realize this is not a real account. But In the extremely small chance it’s not... you’re just such a special herd fan I had to reply.

Meaning of Nervous - easily agitated or alarmed; tending to be anxious, maybe Anxious is what I should have said... What I witnessed was southern miss tightened up the D and Marshall couldn’t handle it, they knew they had to start scoring and they cracked, the plays weren’t setup and they were “nervously” trying to get a open shot which resulted in missed shots or a turnover... so either they were Nervous or trying way to hard to let Jon get a open shot off... way to much dribbling and way to many forced shots... southern miss Defense did what they had to do and Marshall couldn’t handle it, coach should have changed gears and calmed them down with about 5mins left in the game... but it’s all history now and I’m not the coach... great season and congrats to the strong finish!!

And southern miss is not a “SUPERIOR” team!
Virginia, duke, Tennessee are a superior!

They are not going to win the tournament and they will not be in the big dance in my opinion...

Ok, I’m well aware what nervous means. I just didn’t see it the way you did but thank you for the definition. I’ll make it my word of the day.

I guess I just view the end of the game differently but it’s really just a perception/opinion thing that’s fine.

As for the superior comment I wasn’t clear, I meant they are superior compared to us.

does he need to improve on his defense? Yes. Does everyone on this team? Yes. Was he playing out of position all year against players who are at their natural position and who outweigh him by probably a minimum of 30 lbs? YES. He is NOT a post player, but had to because Danny asked him too.

Don't get me wrong. My boy has lot's of room to improve, but your statement is more than way off base.

Last edited:

He only scored 5 in the second half because he had so few touches. it may sound biased but i was there and i saw waaaaay too many times in the second half when shots were forced when your hottest shooter, for that game, wide ass open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT