ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Admin Looking to Revoke Obama Era Security Clearances

I cannot believe those five people even have clearance to begin with. Watch all the things they talk about on TV. Clapper and Brennan are enemies of the state, and should be lynched, just like they did back in the old days.

Honestly once these guys are gone why do they need to still have clearance. That goes for anyone from the military intelligence officer on up
Because they still know secure items of interest and they may be called back based on their expertise or their history.

Reactions: countryroads89
Because they still know secure items of interest and they may be called back based on their expertise or their history.
Yeah but can’t it just be reinstated? I mean they aren’t getting daily briefings on top secret material are they?

I cannot believe those five people even have clearance to begin with. Watch all the things they talk about on TV. Clapper and Brennan are enemies of the state, and should be lynched, just like they did back in the old days.

You’re an idiot and trump is a petulant child.

No but they still know things and know people.
Well no shit. I’m pretty sure we haven’t actually invented the men in Black memory eraser thing yet. But if they have clearance they could theoretically still have access to documents. I don’t see how revoking their clearance is a bad thing i know it’s not this simple but it’s almost like turning in your employee id and computer when you leave a job. Sure you still know people and know things about the company but you don’t have access to those people or places

Reactions: ohio herd
The biggest hit is that they can't leverage their clearance into lucrative private sector jobs. That's the real reason most of these folks value keeping their clearance.

As far as the reason being that they may need to be called back in for consulting, you can always give them specific clearance for a limited time if you need to.

To be honest I think any person with a security clearance when leaving government service should have it at the very least suspended. Anyone who joins the media or becomes a media mouth piece it should be revoked. That is D or R. don't care what your political bent is. Period.

Reactions: herdfan429
they can't leverage their clearance into lucrative private sector jobs.

You aren’t really this stupid?

You honestly think the former director of the CIA or the former director of the FBI can’t get lucrative private sector jobs?

giphy.gif

Well no shit. I’m pretty sure we haven’t actually invented the men in Black memory eraser thing yet. But if they have clearance they could theoretically still have access to documents. I don’t see how revoking their clearance is a bad thing i know it’s not this simple but it’s almost like turning in your employee id and computer when you leave a job. Sure you still know people and know things about the company but you don’t have access to those people or places
Not necessarily, just because you have a clearance doesn't mean you have access to everything or anything that you want.

You aren’t really this stupid?

You honestly think the former director of the CIA or the former director of the FBI can’t get lucrative private sector jobs?

giphy.gif
It is absolutely a reason. Happens all the time. Get a govt clearance and it is good for a period of time. Getting a secret clearance can be worth some big money.

If I were a career government employee, I think I would opt to move to the hills, kick back, drink beers, and live high on the hog off that huge government pension. I sure as hell wouldn't be a talking head on MSNBC, FOX, or CNN.

You’re an idiot and trump is a petulant child.
For some odd reason, being called an idiot by someone like yourself is an honor. It's kind of like receiving a boy scout badge. It's nice and looks sharp on the uniform, but at the end of the day, it's worthless as hell.

It's really just Trump making a big show. Clearances are basically put into a holding pattern when you leave a government job if it hasn't expired. The basis for this is that you can't use something the government paid for in the civilian world. The flip side is if the clearance is in that holding pattern it's easy to reinstate at limited cost, so it is valuable to potential employers. Also, when you leave a government job you (should), lose access to websites, buildings, SCIFs, computer systems, shared drives, anything on the red side... None of these revocations matter if protocol was followed.

The danger is in the relationships these people have built over a lifetime. You can't stop the spillage of information as long as there are sympathetic players on both sides.

Reactions: i am herdman
It's really just Trump making a big show. Clearances are basically put into a holding pattern when you leave a government job if it hasn't expired. The basis for this is that you can't use something the government paid for in the civilian world. The flip side is if the clearance is in that holding pattern it's easy to reinstate at limited cost, so it is valuable to potential employers. Also, when you leave a government job you (should), lose access to websites, buildings, SCIFs, computer systems, shared drives, anything on the red side... None of these revocations matter if protocol was followed.

The danger is in the relationships these people have built over a lifetime. You can't stop the spillage of information as long as there are sympathetic players on both sides.
I hypothetically know of some guys who are in the contracting world. They have the clearances and most of them got them while in the govt. It is important to them because they can go be consultant or subject matter expert on projects that could be deemed sensitive in nature. The clearances are expensive and time consuming to get and that is why they like them. Looks good on a resume and that can get employment opportunities.

I hypothetically know of some guys who are in the contracting world. They have the clearances and most of them got them while in the govt. It is important to them because they can go be consultant or subject matter expert on projects that could be deemed sensitive in nature. The clearances are expensive and time consuming to get and that is why they like them. Looks good on a resume and that can get employment opportunities.

Exactly. I plan to do the same within the next half-decade. It's not some free-for-all access like it's being played out in the news, though.

Exactly. I plan to do the same within the next half-decade. It's not some free-for-all access like it's being played out in the news, though.
True. They lose access to buildings, facilities, computers, and can't just go show up. The news misrepresents it. I agree Trump is doing it as a political gotcha. Not saying they don't deserve it though. They did some bad things with the responsibility of having it.

Reactions: HerdFan76
Yeah I can see that but the former director of the CIA doesnt need to put his security clearances on his resume to look better for a hiring manager

It's not like these folks were sharing classified info on their appearances...or in their columns....or in their books. They don't need a security clearance to go on TV and tell the public what they think about Trump.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT