ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Backs Away From Demand for Immediate North Korean Denuclearization

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
is djt desperate for a photo op? is he so desperate he will make a lousy deal? is he being stupid? i know he is a great negotiator 'cause he told me he was, and i am totally for him because he is the only person who is smart and honest and knows words, good words - the best words, but looks like kim and china are eating his lunch.

The president’s hint of flexibility came after North Korea declared last week that it would never agree to unilaterally surrender its weapons, even threatening to cancel the much-anticipated summit meeting
Mr. Trump’s statement seemed less a policy shift than an effort to preserve his date with Mr. Kim. But while the gesture may avoid a swift rejection by Mr. Kim, it shows that Mr. Trump is willing to give up what for months has been his bedrock position in dealing with the North. And it demonstrates that three weeks before the June 12 meeting, the White House is still groping for a strategy to negotiate with a reclusive, suspicious nuclear-weapons state.

Mr. Trump has done little to hide his excitement about that prospect. The White House has even issued a commemorative coin for the meeting that depicts the two men, in profile, facing each other, and refers to Mr. Kim as the “Supreme Leader.” But inside the White House, one official said, there was confusion about what will happen on June 12

Mr. Trump to push for a historic breakthrough with the North, saying that such an achievement would make him a candidate for a Nobel Peace Prize.

“Trump believed he was going to get complete denuclearization, and now he realizes he’s not,” said Michael J. Green, senior vice president for Asia at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. “So now they’re trying to find a credible way to claim this summit will lead to denuclearization.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Trump is getting played.

He is? What on earth does Trump have to lose here? He can tighten sanctions or kill Kim any time he wants. It's on North Korea to make this work. Trump can walk away any time he wants if he doesn't get what he wants.

I think it's great that we're already criticising over something that may or may not happen. Preemptive b*tching. I like it.

I think it's great that we're already criticising over something that may or may not happen. Preemptive b*tching. I like it.

I think it's great a bunch of people were ready to declare this a done deal a week or two ago. And I'm gonna break their balls, because...not to toot my own horn...I told them to not count the chickens before hatching.

I think it's great a bunch of people were ready to declare this a done deal a week or two ago. And I'm gonna break their balls, because...not to toot my own horn...I told them to not count the chickens before hatching.

Aren't you doing the exact same thing, though?

Aren't you doing the exact same thing, though?

Absolutely not. I am not saying peace won't happen...I'm saying it hasn't happened yet, so it's still a little early for the Trumpkin circle-jerk. And that millions of people conveniently forgot what lying rat bastards the North Koreans are.

I'd like nothing more than peace for Korea. Or Kim hanging from a lamppost. I'll take either one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT