ADVERTISEMENT

Trump on Columbus Day

Well it is true. The world was much different then. We can't go around apologizing for everything.

Reactions: ohio herd
Well it is true. The world was much different then. We can't go around apologizing for everything.

Who said he needed to apologize? Of course the world was different. But Trump is not a historian and he wouldn't have mentioned Columbus Day if he didn't believe it would ruffle some feathers...thus the trolling comment.

Honestly...I think the comment is calculated to bring outrage and to continue to cash in on the same backlash we saw with the Kavanaugh sympathizers.

Who said he needed to apologize? Of course the world was different. But Trump is not a historian and he wouldn't have mentioned Columbus Day if he didn't believe it would ruffle some feathers...thus the trolling comment.

Honestly...I think the comment is calculated to bring outrage and to continue to cash in on the same backlash we saw with the Kavanaugh sympathizers.
Of course it is.

oh yes, because it is so rare that President's comment on a federal holiday.

And as long as it gets Herdtard Buckeye to blow a gasket, I'm okay with that.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Fvck Columbus. I propose a new holiday: Leif Erikson Day.

Leif Erikson certainly hit the continent of North America first. So if we’re celebrating firsts he certainly should be recognized. But the impact he had on the world was negligible compared to Columbus. The world as we know it changed as a result of Columbus’s discovery of a new world. It lead to an unprecedented expansion of imperialism. The post Columbian exchange ushered in an era of economic growth and the introduction of entirely new products never seen in Europe at the time. Italy is famous for their tomato based products, yet prior to Columbus’s discovery tomatoes were non existent. They were native of the area where present day Mexico sits. Ireland is known for their potatoes (and their famine) yet they were native of South America. The Swiss are known for their chocolate but chocolate was also non existent in Europe until brought here from the new world.

He was also responsible for creating the chain of events that lead to a Caribbean population that is a blend of the natives that existed at the time with Spanish and African mixed in. When small pox spread through the native slaves and wiped out a majority of the population , the Spanish imported slaves from Africa to replace them. So present day Carribeans are quite the mixed bag.

I could go on and on. Columbus literally changed the entire world...but...it was entirely by accident. His mission was to find a trade route to the Indies. He failed. He also died in poverty never knowing the true impact of his discovery. The question is, should he be celebrated by the United States? His four voyages landed him in present day Bahamas and Hispanolia...Haiti and Dominican Republic. He never set foot on the land that is presently the US.

His atrocities are well documented. He was brutal. He killed and enslaved the natives in an attempt to enrich himself. But as herdman said...a different time. Columbus’s impact was a game changer, but to believe that the US owns that achievement is a stretch. Celebrating Columbus Day as an American holiday is silly. He should be celebrated in the Carribean. But since the lineage of Carribean are predominantly from the slave labor of Africa and the natives with a blend of Spanish Encomienda lords who liked to have a little slave girl on the side, I doubt they’re too proud of that heritage. If we are really going to celebrate firsts, then Ponce De Leon, De Soto, or Coronado should get the nod. They were the first to establish settlements.

But let’s not kid ourselves here. Trump’s tweet was incendiary and calculated. It might even help his cause of riding the wave of backlash into the midterm elections. But those here celebrating his text aren’t fans of Columbus. You’re fans of pissing off liberals. But if you find brutal treatment, enslavement, and indirectly wiping out millions of natives for personal enrichment and fame...well...he’s your guy.

And while I know everything you typed (and some maybe even in more detail, especially the atrocities), it was all because he fvcked up. Thus, Leif Day it is :D

I’m with you. And because you brought it up, I googled it. I’ll be damned if it doesn’t already exist. From Wikipedia...

“By 1956, Leif Erikson Day had been made an official observance in seven states (Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Illinois, Colorado, Washington, and California) and one Canadian province (Saskatchewan).[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day

I don't know, sometimes I don't know if he's really all that calculated in the dumb stuff he says or not.

We're all playing checkers, but I can't figure out if he's playing chess or Connect Four.

Last edited:
Reactions: GK4Herd
The left should celebrate Columbus Day because he brought diversity to America.
He died in poverty. They should be supporting Columbus!

And, nobody support Columbus day except government workers and some banks. They won't give up Columbus day. It is a day off for them. One of their 42 holidays.

But let’s not kid ourselves here. Trump’s tweet was incendiary and calculated. It might even help his cause of riding the wave of backlash into the midterm elections. But those here celebrating his text aren’t fans of Columbus. You’re fans of pissing off liberals. But if you find brutal treatment, enslavement, and indirectly wiping out millions of natives for personal enrichment and fame...well...he’s your guy.

You're dealing with self-proclaimed social liberals here. I'm sure they have a problem with brutal treatment of people for profit just like they think blacks aren't targeted by police any more than any other group, that there is nothing wrong with referring to blacks as looking like simians, choosing a dog over the life of a human, etc.

43415447_10156119772216051_416295881327771648_n.jpg

Fvck Columbus. I propose a new holiday: Leif Erikson Day.

How about Madoc ab Owain Gwynedd Day?

Everyone knows we Welsh were the first to "discover" the new land. In fact, Raoul, you can visit The Devil's Backbone at Charlestown State Park in Indiana where he built a settlement.

How about Madoc ab Owain Gwynedd Day?

Everyone knows we Welsh were the first to "discover" the new land. In fact, Raoul, you can visit The Devil's Backbone at Charlestown State Park in Indiana where he built a settlement.

If the Madoc legend is true, Leif would still have him beat by 200 years.

Devil's Backbone is most certainly not some ancient Welsh site. It has been fairly extensively studied by archaeologists. It is a natural formation that the Indians put some rocks beside so they could climb it and use it as a lookout. That area is thick with Mound Builder history and sites. I have some pottery shards I believe are from the Mound Builders, from a spot near Silver Creek they are believed to have farmed. I used to live next door to Charlestown State Park and hiked about every inch of it.

Devil's Backbone is most certainly not some ancient Welsh site.

I don't think anyone can say that with any degree of certainty since construction crews destroyed most of what remained of the original fort structure decades ago.

I don't think anyone can say that with any degree of certainty since construction crews destroyed most of what remained of the original fort structure decades ago.

After checking online to get the date right, the first study conducted there was in 1873 or 74.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I have been there and believe it is nothing more than a limestone outcrop...which isn't a rare thing around here. As an Indian lookout over the Ohio River it would have been awesome.

As I said, there is some cool stuff around here. Here is a study on the Mound site nearby to Charlestown, pages 12 and 13 mention the Madoc legend and the reality of Devil's Backbone.

http://www.indiana.edu/~archaeo/prather/Prather Report.pdf

You're dealing with self-proclaimed social liberals here. I'm sure they have a problem with brutal treatment of people for profit just like they think blacks aren't targeted by police any more than any other group, that there is nothing wrong with referring to blacks as looking like simians, choosing a dog over the life of a human, etc.

Wow, now you've adopted greed's retarded, invented arguments. Sad.

And blacks are targeted more than any other group because they commit crimes at a disproportional rate compared to other groups.

Reactions: 19MU88
Wow, now you've adopted greed's retarded, invented arguments.

murox

Post #11998
Huntington, WV

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: New question(s) for extragreed. Reply
How am I a liar? I do value my dogs more than the lives of the people of Darfur. And Bolivia. And North Dakota for that matter.

Reactions: Y.A.G Si Ye Nots
Wow, now you've adopted greed's retarded, invented arguments. Sad.

It's entirely accurate. You said that you would choose to save the life of your dog over a human that you didn't know. That's exactly what I said. Greed's claim was that you said you'd choose a dog's life over your mother's life, which is not what you said.

So again, you'd choose to save a dog's life over a human's.

And blacks are targeted more than any other group because they commit crimes at a disproportional rate compared to other groups.

Oh! The social liberal has evolved and is now changing his argument! Just weeks ago, his argument was that police did not target blacks more than any other group. Now, he claims that blacks are in fact targeted more.

Next week, stay tuned for Murox's evolution into admitting that comparing blacks to simians is entirely racist and only somebody well out-of-touch with basic social and historical intelligence wouldn't know.

they commit crimes at a disproportional rate compared to other groups.

Disproportional? Uh, I think you mean "disproportionate." Bastardizing English simply because a non-existent word is used by others doesn't make it right.

Greed's claim was that you said you'd choose a dog's life over your mother's life, which is not what you said.

Oh yes he did. I asked him the following question several times before he answered "yes", and the question was this: "Would it be ok if I chose the life of my dog over the life of your mother?"

Oh yes he did. I asked him the following question several times before he answered "yes", and the question was this: "Would it be ok if I chose the life of my dog over the life of your mother?"

Well, that's different than what I said. I said that I don't remember him saying that HE's choose a dog over his mother. Your claim is that he said it was alright for YOU to choose your dog over his mother. There's a difference.

In reality, as I said and what you showed with Murox's post, is that he'd choose the life of a dog over the life of a human. That's sad, selfish, and shows a lot.

Murox said he would choose the lives of his dogs over the life of some unknown person in Africa that he has never met because he values his dogs’ lives over the life of a complete stranger, let alone a fictional one.

Reactions: 19MU88
In reality, as I said and what you showed with Murox's post, is that he'd choose the life of a dog over the life of a human. That's sad, selfish, and shows a lot.

My guess is that you’d support the ASPCA over any pro-life group, so how are you any different? You’re choosing the lives of animals over humans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT