ADVERTISEMENT

Two Days Later.....

Josh Stowers

Staff Writer
Jan 19, 2007
I've been pretty quiet since Saturday, mainly because I wanted to have the right mindset going into this post.

Let me preface all this by saying Saturday was unacceptable.

I expected to lose that game, and to TBH by two scores-ish. With that said, I knew a blowout was possible. I never liked that match-up. Back in the spring (and a couple times since then), I told you guys that we were not on the same level as them. They returned A TON of experience, talent, and production across the board and we did not.

With that said, I thought we'd compete. I was wrong.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I have all the right answers because I certainly don't, but here are my thoughts.

If we're going to make it through this season successfully, then I think we have to consider speeding up the tempo offensively. During the 2011-2013 seasons, we ran at an incredible snap rate mainly because we had to. We were not nearly talented enough to slow teams down defensively so we had to account for that by outscoring them. Towards the end of the 2013 season (and since then) our defense started becoming the focus of the team because we had finally retooled it to the level of Doc's pleasing. With that, we changed the way we approached things offensively. We no longer had to run 90-plus plays per game to win. Well, things have changed. IMO, with attrition and players not getting cleared, our defense has returned to the days of 2011-2013 (depth wise mainly), but our offensive philosophy has not. For this thing to work, I think we really need to consider ramping up the tempo to try and keep teams on their heels until the defense figures things out. I just don't think we're going to be able to play at the rate we have been and score enough to win. And let's be honest, it's hard for me to believe that our defense is going to be able to win any games at this point. I mean, is there really a difference in going 3 and out with fast tempo vs slow tempo? Not enough for it to matter IMO.

I'll end with this.....I was less than pleased with the outcome on Saturday, but with my expectations already being low, I wasn't nearly as pissed as I could’ve been......UNTIL, Levi Brown went prancing out onto the field when we were already down 45-0. I won't say anything else because I think you guys get my point, but I'm fairly certain that I frightened a few people around me with my reaction to that.

Hopefully that all made sense. It does to me, but trying to convey it may not have worked as well.

Respond if you'd like, but I don't plan on commenting on this game any further. It sucked. We sucked. That's all that can really be said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News