ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD USM Game Thread

I do. The team should be pretty loaded.

Grass isn’t always greener dude. If you want to replace a guy then maybe go Legg. However, I think if you replace Legg, then you should go with one of the younger QBs...which if it means Litton is gone then great.

I don’t think you’re setting yourself up for much success giving a really talented upper class a whole new coaching staff, personally.

Litton will be our starter next year with almost no question... Legg needs to go. The game has passed him by in terms of play calling... All that said, Legg didnt fumble the ball twice inside So. Miss 40 yard line, have a field goal blocked or botch an extra point.

Reactions: ToesMU
Vedvick should have stayed on that ball and kicked it anyway. He knows that.
He had no chance... when he got to the ball the holder had it pinned on the ground, before picking it up and chucking it to nobody.

Vedvick should have stayed on that ball and kicked it anyway. He knows that.

He wasn’t going to make it, but the kid sucks as a K anywho.

Snap was low. Tough hold. It was all a bummer. Fault everywhere.

Vedvik should have never been the K this season. The fact coaches decided to go with him was one of many season killers.

Litton will be our starter next year with almost no question... Legg needs to go. The game has passed him by in terms of play calling... All that said, Legg didnt fumble the ball twice inside So. Miss 40 yard line, have a field goal blocked or botch an extra point.

Agree and I expect him to be.

I just think he sucks. He played pretty well today though. Today’s loss is not on him.

This team needs to figure out a running game in the worst way.

Litton isnt Cato... Nor will he ever be that caliber of athlete, but of the losses this year I would only lay one on him... He's fine, better than average, but hes never going to be confused with Peyton Manning. Most college QBs arent.

Litton isnt Cato... Nor will he ever be that caliber of athlete, but of the losses this year I would only lay one on him... He's fine, better than average, but hes never going to be confused with Peyton Manning. Most college QBs arent.

On par with Jimmy Skinner

Reactions: mlblack16.
This season ending the way many of Marshall's games ending down the stretch when it counted. The HERD playing from behind and trying to catch up. Only to come up short at the end. The offense struggled all season. How many times did the offense punt on the opening drive. Never got the run game going when it needed. The offense was predictable and lacked explosive plays. Yet the team has playmakers. Run,run and pass on 3rd oh wait let's fool the defense run a draw play on 3rd and long. Does it look like the offense has a game plan? Honestly does it look like the OC has worked on a game plan. They don't script plays at all that's a fact. It's time to hire a new OC that will actually do the job and us the talent that is here. One more game to play, hopefully they won't be playing catch up only to run out of time at the end.

I think Litton is a below average QB. He simply can"t read a defense post snap and I don't think he changes many plays at the line of scrimmage. He still consistently throws off his back foot and if not for his great arm strength it could be a lot worse. True he only threw one interception yesterday but it was into triple coverage and he wasn't being rushed. Never surveyed the field. He threw into double coverage a number of times for incompletions and nearly threw the interception in the endzone but the reciver made a great defensive play. He throws that ball with OBI ten yards behind his defender on the sideline. How do you make that decision unless you are locked onto a reciever no matter what? I even heard the coaches yelling "Obi" on that play as it unfolded yet he threw it short to a covered receiver and almost got it intercepted. I don't think he's ever recovered mentally from the Akron hit last year. That's why he just wants to get rid of the ball as soon as he can. That's not to say our O-line is great at protection cause it's not. The lack of sacks is not a credit to our O-line but due to Chase getting rid of the ball as fast as he can regardless of coverage. But someone with his size needs to be able to step into his throws and occaisonally find himself on the ground after a pass attempt. But that's not in his psyche right now.

That being said he is not the only reason for this frustrating season. Our place kicking has been horrible for two years. The competition in CUSA is very close and games come down to kicks. Last year Curraj was 50% in field goals and had a number blocked. This year Vedvik was 9/16 going into the game last night, 62%, in contrast the USM kicker who was 17/19 going into the game. How many poor snaps have we had this year? I count at least 5 that I can remember and 3 blocked kicks including yesterday. With no one lined up over center now there should be no excuse when weather isn't an issue for a poor snap, and lord knows our O-line can't seem to keep the defense from penetrationg. The blocks are right up the middle! We are for the most part excellent in our punting and kickoff game but we are well below average with the only part of special teams whose sole responsibility is to score points. We were at their 30 yard line three times and came away with no points. Two punts and a blocked kick. Wonder if lack of confidence led to some of the play calling and decision making in those circumstances. In any event we have not corrected this glaring deficiency for two years. We had an invited walk on kicker in camp but let him go because Vedvik can make the majority of his kicks in practice but it's not translating to games. Wonder what we'll do next year with the kicker that transfered here from Rhode Island (?) I think.

This is all about coaching when you get down to it. If they can't correct Litton's flaws that's coaching. If he is the best we have then that's on an inability to recruit better athletes for the QB position so that's a coaching issue too. The lack of an average place kicking game is on the coaches also. Not correcting the up front blocking, letting an invited walk on kicker go, and not at least trying out another long snapper with the problems we've had this year also goes to coaching. Honestly don't think you can expect better next year if our coaching staff continues to fail to correct glaring deficiencies in our personnel and seems not to even recognize the problems that we fans can see.

Reactions: HubbMU
I do. The team should be pretty loaded.

Grass isn’t always greener dude. If you want to replace a guy then maybe go Legg. However, I think if you replace Legg, then you should go with one of the younger QBs...which if it means Litton is gone then great.

I don’t think you’re setting yourself up for much success giving a really talented upper class a whole new coaching staff, personally.

I appreciate your opinion but i see it differently. I think all evidence suggests that class will be wasted if we don't make changes to our staff. Expecting Doc and Legg to change their stripes is really just wishful thinking. They won't do it.

Reactions: Dre621
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT