ADVERTISEMENT

"We still don't know anything about your 2014 Marshall Thundering Herd"

Originally posted by SHAMMOND16:

Based on the criteria you want to go by on how you judge a football team, 2003 was probably our best ever. We don't know if the '99 team could do what the 2003 team did.
The 99 team beat two BCS teams and a top 25 team so yes we do know how to judge the 99 team. BCS wins get you respect as does beating top 25 teams.

RhinoD, while I might agree with your notion about finding another conference home, I don't believe any better conferences than CUSA are going to be interested in MU based solely on our football program alone. Look at the overall status of our total athletic program. In many respects a lot of our programs are barely or marginally competitive in our current conference. How many total conference championships has MU won in about 9 years in CUSA? Probably can count them on one hand. Probably most visible men's olympic sport overall is baseball and we don't have a legitimate home field that would qualify as a quality Division II facility! If Hamrick or someone hadn't worked out a deal with the minor league team in Charleston, I doubt if CUSA would have us in the league (I believe we only sponsor the NCAA minimal number of programs to qualify as D-I). On the other hand, new CUSA members like WKU and Middle Tenn. have come in and immediately are highly competitive, and well above us, in many Olympic and other sports!

As for the other major (revenue) sport, basketball, hell we haven't been relevant since the Rick Huckaby era 3 decades ago. What, 1 NIT, a CBI, and one other post season joke of a tournament appearance in 30 years? And it is pretty clear that the current status of men's basketball team, a veritable clusterf**k of a train wreck which isn't going to be turned around very soon, is going to draw a lot of interest from "better" conferences looking to expand their membership. Having our current head coach with his overwhelming high school background calling out a future hall of fame coach, (Huggins, love him or hate him), who personally has about 6 or 7 times more post season tournament appearances than our program has had in last 30 years, does not instill a lot of confidence that D'Antoni will bring respectability and consistent winning to Herd basketball!

Sooo...

What you're saying is...we have to schedule ohio state, Florida, and Texas...and WIN those...to get any respect?

I'm sorry, is it crack or meth you're on right now?

First off,

Duke and ZZ's posts contradict one another.

One said we "have to start out beating P-5 teams, even the shitty ones..." when ZZ says, "We won't get any respect beating a shitty Purdue team..."

That led me to my initial response above.

If that's the case, then nobody should ever schedule NC State or Purdue or even Virginia Tech...because they're not "good enough" for the CFP committee...

Haha, actually they are.
Look at ecu. They beat a horrible VT team and UNC team...that vaulted them into the rankings...then ecu became ecu again, woke up from the dream of being a real program, and lost games to teams that Old Dominion would beat.
But had they won out? They would've gone right to the Access Bowl...

Nobody seemed to care that VT and UNC were bad, just as long as they were P-5.
So for those of you who are already dogging Hamrick for scheduling Purdue...remember a few things;
1. He can't just pick up the phone and call a P-5 school and ask for a 1:1 (Because Marshall needs 6 home games a season...it increases revenue obviously).
2. Why on Earth would he want to schedule us against a top 10 team off the bat? We won't get a return game and we could get slaughtered.
3. Think long term. Marshall is re-building in some areas this offseason. Nobody knows what is going to transpire from Cato leaving and a drunken trash-talking QB possibly starting in his stead (I heard Birdsong was down in Boca Raton, at a bar, with his dad, talking trash to a group of NIU fans the night before the game. If it's true, we have another Stan Hill in the making). Hamrick's giving Marshall easier P-5 opponents that they can actually beat...as the team gets better because they're doing well, each year, the P-5 opponent gets better.
Pittsburgh could be a legit team by the time they play Marshall.
Purdue will always be Purdue, but it's Big-10 and it's during the season, which matters most come bowl time.

I'm not bothered nor dumb enough to let a decision (made 2 weeks ago) by an athletic administration and conference regarding a post-season bowl game at this point. Haven't been, nor will I be. Why in the hell are some of you STILL wasting time on it? Do you think by putting effort into thinking about things so far out of your hands, that it's going to somehow change...is that true?

But looking ahead? Marshall's on a solid footing to begin playing P-5's again, and BEATING THEM.
We all know (and some said they can't blame) Hamrick's predicament with Louisville. Had we won that game, Marshall is in the Access Bowl, no doubt about it. But alright, we had to improvise. Hamrick got a beatable team to come here, we beat the hell out of them, and moved on.
It was likely the best team we could call up to come to a small town full of fickle fans at the last moment. Hamrick reminded himself of that to maintain a positive outlook on the whole thing.

See, this is why people hate Hamrick, he's not like you, he doesn't think like many of you. He doesn't obsess over things like choosing the Boca Bowl over Dallas. Seriously, I doubt Herd fans would've gone to Dallas, the day after Christmas, in freezing weather, to a region of the continent that has little to zero alumni presence. He thinks forward progress and doesn't look back into the past...mistakes or not. If he makes one, he looks forward and develops a way to not make it and prevent it from happening. But that's just...not like some of you on here, who just can't let some things go.

So I guess Cato doesn't drink either

What about Jasperse? I guess you don't follow his Instagram

As long as Birdsong doesn't show up hungover for games like Brian Anderson I could care less if he drinks or talks trash

Originally posted by sportsphantom1:

Originally posted by SHAMMOND16:

Based on the criteria you want to go by on how you judge a football team, 2003 was probably our best ever. We don't know if the '99 team could do what the 2003 team did.
The 99 team beat two BCS teams and a top 25 team so yes we do know how to judge the 99 team. BCS wins get you respect as does beating top 25 teams.
There was nobody close to Clemson and BYU on this year's schedule. Clemson was a .500 team but a decent team and they came within 3 of Florida State who won the national title that year. BYU was ranked #25 going into the bowl and we just absolutely manhandled them. I saw the 99 team and this team. 99 was better but there is no shame in that. We may never see another 99 team at Marshall.

This years team was very good. Unfortunately we don't know how good and taking the Boca Bowl was a mistake.

It is what it is. Reflect on and enjoy the season and move on.

99 team would destroy this team. This team played NOBODY and we have no clue how good they are. They almost lost to UAB that doesn't even have a football team anymore. And did lose at home to a avg WKU team. NO COMPARISON!!!!

Originally posted by Herd Fever:
Who did the 99 team play that was worth shit??
6-6 Clemson and BYU were far better than anyone Marshall played this year. Far better.

exactly rifle. those 2 teams were by far better than anyone on this years schedule. Antone that would try and defend this years schedule knows nothing about football. All you had to do was just bedecent against this years schedule to run the table and we didn't even do that. Bigtime football would have destroyed this schedule and got bored doing it.

13-1 Conference and Bowl champions that had 11 no mercy beatdowns. I mean imagine if Doc didn't have sportsmanship and kept the starters in and kept the foot on the throttle in those games. We could have put 70 or even 80 on a couple of those teams.

Holy shit we went 8 years of mediocre to horrible football we dominate the last 2 years and it's not good enough. How can you call yourself a Marshall fan.

There is a clear agenda to lock the small schools out of the big bowls and to disrespect us at every turn. in the future, they wont even schedule us. It is something that is beginning to feed itself.

If we play small time football I can't imagine what is 1AA, D2, D3, NAIA football is

Herd429 i don't hate Marshall football. I hate fans that pretend we are bigtime. We aren't even close. I actually do hate WV football. But they do play bigtime football. They lose some but they do play Texas A&M even after losing games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT