ADVERTISEMENT

"We still don't know anything about your 2014 Marshall Thundering Herd"

andy4theherd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2007
1. The problem with your 2014 Boca Raton Bowl isn't that it was the Boca Raton Bowl, and it isn't because the game was played in front of about 14 people, and it wasn't because of the blowout score - even though it was an entertaining blowout. No, the problem is that we still don't know anything about your 2014 Marshall Thundering Herd.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Rakeem Cato set a record for career touchdown passes, and Tommy Shuler is a fantastic receiver, but beating Northern Illinois is like beating … Northern Illinois. The MAC champion beat Northwestern, and it's a strong program, but the bowl season was supposed to be the time when we got to see if the Thundering Herd was any good against a Power 5 team and show the world that they really were great - they just so happened to play a marshmallowy-soft schedule.

And while the bowl season is supposed to be about fun, and making money for people in bad blazers, this game also exposed the big problem with the Group of Five conferences trying to get respect. This was a matchup of two conference champions, and it barely registered a blip on the college football radar - and in the stands.

http://campusinsiders.com/network/cfp/news/5-thoughts-boca-raton-marshall-52-niu-23

We were screwed either way. We played Illinois and beat them then Illinois sucks. We play n Illinois and beat them we never played anybody

Well that is what happens when you play such a horrible schedule. Nobody is going to respect your program if you don't prove it worthy. And next year we have Northfolk St and Charlotte (that wouldn't even be a decent 1AA team) coming onboard.

Do we know anything about any team Marshall has ever had?

Going by schedules & results, our 2003 team was probably our best. Gave Tennessee hell in Knoxville & beat Kansas St in Manhatten. I know that team didn't go to a bowl game, but it had to be our best ever based off of that.

Originally posted by SHAMMOND16:

Going by schedules & results, our 2003 team was probably our best. Gave Tennessee hell in Knoxville & beat Kansas St in Manhatten. I know that team didn't go to a bowl game, but it had to be our best ever based off of that.
we know they could compete against SEC schools and beat the Big12 champion....

are you high?

These are the same guys that are on scout. Clueless Marshall haters. They make ESPN look like a love fest. They will probably rank us around 50. At some point we just need to do what is right for Marshall University and quit worrying about these types ( I know it's hard). What they should be saying is that Marshall is an exceptionally good team and it is a shame they didn't get an opportunity for a better match up. Illinois is not any better for what it's worth.

Originally posted by andy4theherd:

we know they could compete against SEC schools and beat the Big12 champion....

are you high?
Why would I be high?

Based on the criteria you want to go by on how you judge a football team, 2003 was probably our best ever. We don't know if the '99 team could do what the 2003 team did.

The 2011 lost to wvu, VT, beat Big East Cochamp Louisville, and beat the CUSA champ. We don't know if the '99 or '96 team could do that either. Maybe they need to be mentioned.

I don't care about any articles downplaying this years team. If these same cynics want to "see what Marshall is made of", then perhaps the bowl system can be fixed so that more P5's play more G5's ( and not just P5 bottom feeders each season), more than one G5 can get into an Access Bowl (if worthy like a 12 win CUSA Champion), and more teams can make the playoffs all together.

You can't keep Marshall down all year only to say they didn't play anybody during Bowl season. An 11-2 MAC Champion N. Illinois was a better opponent than a 7-5 Illinois, the bowl location was better, and the added trip to south Florida is better for our program.

I don't care what some talking head says. I'm concerned with the forward progress of our Program, & I trust Mike Hamrick and Doc Holliday in that task.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Ohio herd....how do you know we are an exceptionaly good team. Who have we beat to prove it. Name one legit big name team we beat...just one? If Cabell Midland beats up on Lincoln County, Tolsia, Chesapeake, Symms Valley etc every week and goes 10-0 does that make them a great team? It just means they beat a really bunch of bad teams.

Originally posted by greenherdman:
Ohio herd....how do you know we are an exceptionaly good team. Who have we beat to prove it. Name one legit big name team we beat...just one? If Cabell Midland beats up on Lincoln County, Tolsia, Chesapeake, Symms Valley etc every week and goes 10-0 does that make them a great team? It just means they beat a really bunch of bad teams.
How do you know the '99 team was any good?
The '96 team?
The '97 team?
'98?
'01?
'02?
'13?

Who cares? We know what we have. Those who actually watch football without bias know we are good. Most in the media were shunned little boys who weren't good enough to make varsity. They aren't experts, not even close.

Originally posted by TwolfHerdfan:
Who cares? We know what we have. Those who actually watch football without bias know we are good. Most in the media were shunned little boys who weren't good enough to make varsity. They aren't experts, not even close.
Sad thing is, twolf, a small percentage of our fan base has lapped up what the media has been spewing the past few months. A small percentage of our fan base sound like wvu fans trying to discredit everyting we accomplish.

Sad thing is, twolf, a small percentage of our fan base has lapped up what the media has been spewing the past few months. A small percentage of our fan base sound like wvu fans trying to discredit everyting we accomplish.
nobody is trying to discredit this team. why can't you understand that? we are discrediting NIU. the team that you and Goch and the like spouted for weeks that was a very good team that would show the world something if we won... they were terrible as anybody that researched them could see. now the media is again running with the "but they didn't play a P5 school" BS. i KNOW our team is VERY VERY GOOD. that is good enough for some. for others it would be nice for everybody else to notice it too.....

do you honestly believe deep down in your brain that had we beaten Illinois (6-6) last night 52-23 that we would have gotten the same kind of headlines? it is not a matter of weather or not Illinois is any good. it is about perception. they are perceived as good because they made a bowl while playing a Big10 schedule.

weather you like it or not, a TWO loss Boise team is playing in the Peach Bowl because of what they did in the past and a perception that they can beat P5 teams (despite being blown out by the only one they played this year). beating even a mediocre P5 team gives us a little more of that "perception" going forward. maybe next time we are fighting for the access bowl that little bit helps us out... maybe it doesn't. i know for a fact beating every team in the MAC every season doesn't.......

nobody is trying to discredit this team. why can't you understand that? we are discrediting NIU. the team that you and Goch and the like spouted for weeks that was a very good team that would show the world something if we won... they were terrible as anybody that researched them could see. now the media is again running with the "but they didn't play a P5 school" BS. i KNOW our team is VERY VERY GOOD. that is good enough for some. for others it would be nice for everybody else to notice it too.....

do you honestly believe deep down in your brain that had we beaten Illinois (6-6) last night 52-23 that we would have gotten the same kind of headlines? it is not a matter of weather or not Illinois is any good. it is about perception. they are perceived as good because they made a bowl while playing a Big10 schedule.

weather you like it or not, a TWO loss Boise team is playing in the Peach Bowl because of what they did in the past and a perception that they can beat P5 teams (despite being blown out by the only one they played this year). beating even a mediocre P5 team gives us a little more of that "perception" going forward. maybe next time we are fighting for the access bowl that little bit helps us out... maybe it doesn't. i know for a fact beating every team in the MAC every season doesn't.......
Unlike you, I don't care what the headlines say.

I'm not worried about the opinion of some punk reporter who would have trashed us beating a 6-7 Illinois team too. Doesn't matter to me what they think. NIU has almost beaten as many Big 10 teams the past 3 years as Illinois has. If someone discredits NIU while propping up Illinois, that's their stupidity.

You're exaggerating what I said. I was simply arguing NIU was the best available opponent, not some world-beater.

And Boise is playing in the Peach Bowl because of our weak-ass schedule and the timing of their losses, not past perception. Boise is 1-4 in their last 5 P5 games so the committee is even stupider than I thought if that was their reasoning. Replace Miami/Ohio/Akron with NIU in the regular season (and don't lose to WKU) and we would be playing on New Year's.

I don't think a 52-23 win over either opponent would move the needle that much, but yes, I think beating NIU will get more notice.

Shammond i know you and some don't care what the headlines read. That is because you want to stay in your little fantasy world of believing Marshall footbal is bigtime. Well guess what? Nobody thinks that Nationaly and that is what matters. That is why we are a Tri State university and can't get more than 20-25k at the home games. You want to thump your chest after crushing Rhode Island and Northfolk St and a horrible CUSA along with a MAC ooc schedule. I say play someone that actually matters and start beating those teams (THEN) we will get some recognition. We are small time until we prove we can play with the bigboys.

Gochnauer645 posted "I don't think a 52-23 win over either opponent would move the needle that much, but yes, I think beating NIU will get more notice." Well only time will tell if "beating NIU will get more notice." Hope you are correct but I doubt it.

i'm not trying to ruin anybody's Christmas Eve or spoil last night's game. i got up and watched the replay at 7am this morning because it was such a GD joyous ass kicking! it was one of those games you don't want to end. i was talking with an old friend on Facebook while watching the game last night and his final message was that we would never know how good this team was. that just stuck in my head all night. i LOVE this team. the only team i can put ahead of them on my "enjoy to watch" scale is the '99 boys. i just wish they would have gotten a shot. i hope we learn from this inaugural year of "committee" bull sh!t what we need to do going forward to not have a sour taste after a spectacular season going forward...

GO HERD!!!

My only point is if you don't know how good this team is, you don't know how good many of our great teams are.

Why get so bent out of shape over it? Just enjoy.

We had NIU pumped up for two weeks. Last night we found out what most of America already knew, NIU is a nobody and beating them like a rented mule proved absolutely nothing.

We had a great year, and I am happy about that. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the world NIU was just another garbage opponent from a garbage conference. Fortunately, for everyone who isnt a fan of one of those two teams, last nights game will be forgotten before Spring practice starts.

So if we half-assed the game and won by a TD, it would have proved something to America?

If we beat a 6-6 Illinois team, that would have proved something to America?

So if we half-assed the game and won by a TD, it would have proved something to America?

Is this your response to Rhino? It's like you're having a conversation with yourself.

On topic number one, No, it would have showed that we are just as bad as the mediocre teams in the MAC.

On topic number two, No, playing Illinois isn't any better. Thus my point about last night's game being forgotten in a couple days on a national scale.

We won, awesome, I'm stoked. But I am a Marshall fan and I know we are good... Most of the world is not, and they have no clue how we stack up. Can't blame the masses for that when we didn't play a single marquee game all season and capped a great year with an opponent most people couldn't find on a map.

There probably was nothing Marshall could do to silence criticism from P5 shills. Guys that write these articles either are complete idiots, or simply propagandizing, or perhaps hoping to to stir up clicks on their websites. If you beat Illinois by 29 or even more they'd find some way to rationalize it.

So basically we have to blame the AD for this season. He is the reason we had 4 MAC opponents in 1 season. That killed us for certain. I'm ok with a MAC school on occasion but not 4 in 1 freakin year. That's the reason we are not in the access bowl. We should have been in it regardless this year. I still don't get the getting pounded by a P5 school should actually count for something. That goes against all logic.

Green I know this team was exceptional because it won 13 games. If it was easy then everyone would do it every year. Plus most of us who follow football can ,make a reasoned guess about the talent level on this team. Would we beat Alabama and Oregon? I don't know, but I can tell you we are the best G5 team in the nation this year. I will tell you there is not more than 10-12 P5 schools we wouldn't beat. I am confident we are way way better than you think!

This for Andy4.....
flush.r191677.gif

I don't blame anyone for this.

Nor should you.

Marshall goes unbeaten, Boise still gets the Access Bowl.
Marshall likely STILL ends up in Boca Raton, FL.

The single loss helped Marshall by saving the fans the b!tchfest because we'd have gone unbeaten and not gotten something better.

As I have, and others, said before...Hamrick listened to the masses about scheduling. YOU complained about getting pummeled every season by a "marquee team" so he padded the schedule...you also complained about traveling.
Then, some of you complained about "we should have never left the MAC" "oh woe is me, I miss playing Kent State, I hate playing Middle Tennessee!!! Blah blah blah!"

So what is an AD who listens to the fans supposed to do?
Funny how he listened to the fans and all they did was end up turning on him. It proves the majority of you know absolutely nothing about his job but because you can sit on your lazy asses much longer and better than others, you claim you have merit to your opinions. You don't.

This year was a success...Marshall dominated and won.

Next season and the future seasons with P-5 teams...regardless of how good or bad they are...are on our schedule.

Stop complaining.

13 wins mean nothing when you are playing 13 inferior opponents like we did. We don't know how good we are because we play small time football. You have to play big boy football to know.

Good lord but some of you people are so pathetically negative it's disgusting! If you are so insecure about this team and program, so wrapped around the damn axle about what is or isn't "big boy football" then please, for the sake of all things Marshall, take your faux-fan hood to Morgantown. Good riddance.

Got a news flash for you greenherdman, we aren't big time football, never have been and likely never will be. We are on fairly equal resource footing with 63 of the 128 teams that play FBS football, about in the middle of the pack of that group. Resource wise, we are so far below the other 65 teams that even trying to act like we can compete with them week in and week out is fanciful. Sure, there are about 20-25 of those schools that we could beat on a fairly consistent basis, but that's more due to their deficiencies than anything we are able to do based on the way the competitive landscape is constructed.

My goal, and the goal of our program in my opinion, is to be at the top of that group of 63 teams that we compete with from a resource standpoint. This year we played 13 of those peer institutions and beat 12 of them. I will not buy in to the straw man propagated by the P5 shills that if you don't offer yourself up as a sacrifice to a school with a $90MM budget on the road every year then you are not worthy to be proud of what you accomplish on the field.

When fans of the so called G5 schools buy in to this self defeating propaganda they are doing a disservice to the kids and coaches that bust their humps to put a product on the field we can be proud of. If you choose to be a mindless sheep and not think about the real dynamics of the situation, that's your business. I applaud Hamrick for his scheduling philosophy. Why should we bow down and further enrich the already advantaged? Why should we guarantee that schools with budgets 3-5 times greater than ours get the additional benefit of 7, or even 8, home games every year? This is why I fully support no 2-1 or 3-1 deals. I don't mind the occasional buy game because that's a straight business transaction, you get your game, we get our $800,000 to $1,000,000.

Mamrick's only mistake IMHO is not playing the Dallas bowl game. I still don't believe him when he says it was not up to us.

Like it or not, brand building takes beating P5's. Even shitty P5's. We didn't make the "rules", but we need to play by those rules.

The regular season is what it is. This conference sucks. Hopefully we either move to the AAC and its slightly better slate of teams, or hope like hell Southern Miss rebuilds and WKU and MTSU can consistently improve their programs. Which would be great, I like the idea of building competitive rivalries with those two.

Hamrick needs to keep blowing up the phones to get home and homes with the shit and mediocre P5's. No more ass kicker money games. MAC opponents are easy travel. Miami was decent when we signed the contract. Ohio is a natural rival. I don't know what some of you want...to play tOSU and Bama every year?

If our future schedules are all FCs-MAC-MAC-Shitty P5, no matter how good our team gets, we'll be playing NIU in bowl games and averaging 27k fans from now until the end of time.

Next year when we beat Purdue in game 1, we will hear they are a shitty Big 10 school. Just saying

Originally posted by zz1038:
Next year when we beat Purdue in game 1, we will hear they are a shitty Big 10 school. Just saying
No doubt about that at all... That is why for our team to gain any notoriety nationally we need four things to happen.

1. Continued success next year. We have to prove that we are going to be consistently good (double digit wins) every year the same way Boise State has done for years now. If we can get there next year that would be 3 in a row with 10+ wins.

2. We need teams in our league to improve. WKU should be good next year, FAU is coming along, but we need the rest to at least be respectable and not dumpster fires like they are traditionally. CUSA gets zero respect so by proxy we get zero respect for winning CUSA.

3. With that said, we need to do everything in our power to change leagues. Maybe its a pipe dream, maybe it isnt, but as long as we are in CUSA we are just another G5 struggling for anyone to give us some grain of recognition which is unlikely.

4. We need the P5 teams we have on our schedule in upcoming seasons to have quality years when we play them. There is no way for us to control that, but it is important. IF we were to beat Purdue and they finish 4-8 no one is going to be overly impressed. If we beat Purdue and they somehow go 7-5 then it becomes a "great" win by the committee's definition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT