ADVERTISEMENT

What do I know...

Critiquing Marshall sports is often a roller coaster of emotions. Nobody saw this coming though. The most optimistic didn't predict we might be the best in the league.

I'm amazed by what DD has done. It's an exciting brand of hoops to watch too, that's the best part.

In all honesty I really questioned the Holliday hire and shook my head at the "gutsy hire" when Hambone announced it. I have been wonderfully wrong.

I knew some things around the DD hire that made me shake my head but I could see why he had to do it. Again though I didn't like it. Wrong again too.

Dare I ask, does this team win CUSA and put Marshall in the NCAA tourney for the first time since Huck?

Its a long season with some very tough places left to play on the road. The big thing IMO is whether they learn enough on the road to win in Birmingham in early March; where for the most part it is a neutral field until they face UAB. They have to stay high in the conference for seating into that tourney to have a shot. As I've said a couple times on boards this seaons, I ran into DD and his wife Venesa on our way into a football game this year, and spoke to hime briefly. He, though, started a conversation with me and basically told me he honestly believed this years' team would be very competitive in the league BY THE END OF THE YEAR. I said, "really coach, this year? I've heard they're working really hard, but you think they can make that much progress this year?" He said, "yes, this year."

Now let me tell you why I mention this; its because I've came to realize that DD can see important baskeball skills, learning ability and possibilities.... He was absolutely right, but even admits in press conferences that he is a "bit" surprised its came about as early this year as it has. When he says they can get a lot better, I believe him. Look at the performance of Thompson last night. Once he starts making some shots he's going to be something to deal with. Look at CJ Burks, the kid's a baller for sure.

DD's got basketball sense that we haven't had here for a while. He doesn't panic, its a game to him (not life), and he wants it to be fun. So with that in mind, once he gets the ball rolling I can see it staying in motion. But then again, its hard to replace a guy like James Kelly. That spot goes to Taylor next year, and then who??? We'll see.

I'll admit I was alarmed when we started 0-6 and I still have some doubts about DD's recruiting ability but I will say, other than the years we went to the CIT/CBI with DJ, this is the most enjoyable team I have seen since the Huck days. I proud of these kids and DD. I wish him all the success in the world.

If we keep winning, I guess we might get in the CBI and CIT. And at this stage in the game, that would be good for the program. jmo.

I misjudged this team and season with the bad start. What a pleasant surprise AND attendance went up. Hope they pack the house Saturday. Go Herd!

I'll admit I was alarmed when we started 0-6 and I still have some doubts about DD's recruiting ability but I will say, other than the years we went to the CIT/CBI with DJ, this is the most enjoyable team I have seen since the Huck days. I proud of these kids and DD. I wish him all the success in the world.

If we keep winning, I guess we might get in the CBI and CIT. And at this stage in the game, that would be good for the program. jmo.
I can understand the concerns about recruiting only because he doesn't have experience. Success breeds success and the next group he goes after will be higher quality than the last because a winning program speaks for itself. Think about it, Dan had nothing to stand on when recruiting the current players except selling his unproven self.

If he gets 4 more like Kelly, Elmore, Browning and Burks we'll be poopin in the tall cotton. Pretty good cruitin so far in a short time.

Actually I'd say he does recruit well. He recruits players that don't fit the recruiting sites molds as being 4 and 5 stars. He recruits "team" players with a "team" mentality. I'd love to see him get some more WV kids.

Excited to be able to actually watch a full game tomorrow.

Believe it or not Vingle wrote a great article about Marshall hoops today, and it was spot on.

I don't know whether it's a trait that the D'Antoni's have, but I've noticed a common theme with Mike in the NBA and now Danny for the Herd.. They really can bring out the absolute best in players that nobody else wants.

Mike did a sign and trade deal with Joe Johnson for Boris Diaw.. I remember when this trade went through the Hawks wanted to make Diaw (then a skinny Frenchman who really hadn't had a solid role in the league) a point forward. Mike took him and made him a center in his offense and used him on pick and roles. Diaw's unappreciated passing skills made the pick and role even more deadly in Phoenix's offense. Nobody else saw this in Diaw.

Look at these other notable players that were "finds"

Barbosa
Bell
Tim Thomas
Steve Novak
The reemergence of Raymond Felton's career
Landry Fields
Jeremy Lin

Now with Danny we have Browning ( a former D-II player), Thompson, Elmore (to a degree), and Burks..

Good times ahead for Herd basketball, ladies and gentlemen

Reactions: Fishn8ntEz
Exactly Rakeem. It's the system you install then finding the right fit for that system. Oddly enough "underappreciated" players may find their niche in the right system and thrive.

Interesting experiement to watch, I'm curious to see who DD signs this off season to continue his "system".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT