ADVERTISEMENT

What really sucks

Your work is appreciated. But you can’t compare healthcare jobs with teachers in regards to safety from infection... health care facilities are set up for that, you are trained for it and you should have PPE. Schools are absolutely not set up for safe practices or distancing and teachers are absolutely not trained to deal with viral protection. I’m not saying all schools should be virtual... we need students back as soon as we safely can, and the toll this is taking on kids and parents is enormous. But the “we can work so why can’t you” is apples & oranges.
we cant go vote or send our kids to school but we can go to walmart, go to the beach in a different state, go out to eat, and can spend two hours in lowes looking for light bulbs and new molding for the kitchen, and stop at the 7-11 and use the bathroom along a major highway and trust a mask grandmaw made from an old t-shirt. Oh, the private school kids can make it work. Schools are open on the military bases for the military kids. hmmmm.

Your work is appreciated. But you can’t compare healthcare jobs with teachers in regards to safety from infection... health care facilities are set up for that, you are trained for it and you should have PPE. Schools are absolutely not set up for safe practices or distancing and teachers are absolutely not trained to deal with viral protection. I’m not saying all schools should be virtual... we need students back as soon as we safely can, and the toll this is taking on kids and parents is enormous. But the “we can work so why can’t you” is apples & oranges.
Hello, I am aware of the differences but thank you for pointing that out. I am so glad the old guy at 7-11 behind the counter, the teenager at Kroger bagging the groceries or loading up for curbside pick up and the girl at the Burger King drive through are safe from any potential virus as they hide behind the plastic hanging from the ceiling. We are all in this together or so I have been told. There is no reason they can't install some form of shield / plexiglass or whatever in a classroom. All of the students can wear a mask. They can mic the prof so the audible level is good They can set up rules like churches, bars, restaurants etc have. Space the desks, no touching, remain 6 feet apart,they can have an orderly dismissal and leave the doors open.They can spray the room down between classes. Maybe they can have the class split into half and each group meet in class one day per week.Then they could use some online instruction to supplement the classroom portion of the class.The class could be structured like a Cohort. They could text questions in class to the prof, I mean my goodness they should be able to figure this out. All of these people have a MA or a PhD teaching the class.. All I am saying is at least at the college level they should be able to make it happen. K- through say grade 5 maybe they can't. In the end they are cutting off their nose. When kids figure out they can stay at home and get a college degree many of them will do so. With the cost of a college education already sky high many will forgo spending 25,000 per year to live in a crappy dorm room and move 3 hours from home.When this happens many of these prof will be laid off.

Most teachers want to be in the classroom and teaching their kids. They know the risks; but they also know online education for kids in grades K-8 is pretty much worthless on the whole. Not much teaching can be done. Now HS kids can grasp most the online content as they are mature enough to understand it all and search for the resources to assist in learning.
Not to mention, 40% of WV kids don't have reliable internet connections or access to the internet. This according to Metro News last week.

Reactions: i am herdman
Back in February, Healthcare workers were panicking because we had a pandemic coming our way, and they didn't have PPE or a plan to keep workers safe.

Here we are on the verge of August, and now the teachers are going through the same thing. There's a certain refreshing element to hearing healthcare workers bemoan their paranoia.

Back in February, Healthcare workers were panicking because we had a pandemic coming our way, and they didn't have PPE or a plan to keep workers safe.

Here we are on the verge of August, and now the teachers are going through the same thing. There's a certain refreshing element to hearing healthcare workers bemoan their paranoia.
My wife is a teacher. I have yet to see her panic over Covid19 or going back to work. It is what it is.

We going to sit and live in fear forever?

Reactions: ohio herd
Most teachers want to be in the classroom and teaching their kids. They know the risks; but they also know online education for kids in grades K-8 is pretty much worthless on the whole. Not much teaching can be done. Now HS kids can grasp most the online content as they are mature enough to understand it all and search for the resources to assist in learning.
Not to mention, 40% of WV kids don't have reliable internet connections or access to the internet. This according to Metro News last week.
Good post

Hello, I am aware of the differences but thank you for pointing that out. I am so glad the old guy at 7-11 behind the counter, the teenager at Kroger bagging the groceries or loading up for curbside pick up and the girl at the Burger King drive through are safe from any potential virus as they hide behind the plastic hanging from the ceiling. We are all in this together or so I have been told. There is no reason they can't install some form of shield / plexiglass or whatever in a classroom. All of the students can wear a mask. They can mic the prof so the audible level is good They can set up rules like churches, bars, restaurants etc have. Space the desks, no touching, remain 6 feet apart,they can have an orderly dismissal and leave the doors open.They can spray the room down between classes. Maybe they can have the class split into half and each group meet in class one day per week.Then they could use some online instruction to supplement the classroom portion of the class.The class could be structured like a Cohort. They could text questions in class to the prof, I mean my goodness they should be able to figure this out. All of these people have a MA or a PhD teaching the class.. All I am saying is at least at the college level they should be able to make it happen. K- through say grade 5 maybe they can't. In the end they are cutting off their nose. When kids figure out they can stay at home and get a college degree many of them will do so. With the cost of a college education already sky high many will forgo spending 25,000 per year to live in a crappy dorm room and move 3 hours from home.When this happens many of these prof will be laid off.
We all know why. The same scared folks are running to Myrtle Beach. Going out to eat. Going to WalMart. Running around. Heading down to Kings Island. Running to Florida for a week.

Scared to go to work.

We going to sit and live in fear forever?

I know - it feels like we've been going through this for like four and a half months at this point.

The good news is, our experience so far has shown that once we declare ourselves unafraid, and dive back into life without a care or worry about COVID, the pandemic just goes away and instantly everything gets better.

MLB is finding this out right now - congrats to the Marlins on their big win yesterday!

MLB is finding this out right now - congrats to the Marlins on their big win yesterday!

This draws more parallels than people realize... MLB, with billionaire owners, specific protocols, adult athletes/coaches/staffs, millionaire players, structured travel, etc couldn't get more than a weekend of play in without half a team testing positive.

Baseball has almost zero physical contact.

But some think that playing a football season (which includes physical contact on every play in practice and games), with no defined protocols to this point, state-funded schools on shoe string budgets and athletes being paid zero dollars, is going to happen?... It's not.

I think if you can remote learn, you should. Obviously some live in such remote areas of WV that they can't, those should be the ones who go to school. A teacher has both, live lessons and remote lessons being taught at the same time.

This draws more parallels than people realize... MLB, with billionaire owners, specific protocols, adult athletes/coaches/staffs, millionaire players, structured travel, etc couldn't get more than a weekend of play in without half a team testing positive.

Baseball has almost zero physical contact.

But some think that playing a football season (which includes physical contact on every play in practice and games), with no defined protocols to this point, state-funded schools on shoe string budgets and athletes being paid zero dollars, is going to happen?... It's not.

The NCAA will milk the idea for football to keep fan interest, as will plenty of sports journalists, simply because, what are they going to do if they already announce fall sports are cancelled?

We'll gain a much better understanding at how physical contact sports MIGHT fare with the NHL starting back up.
The NBA has done ok with their bubble as well.

The NCAA will milk the idea for football to keep fan interest, as will plenty of sports journalists, simply because, what are they going to do if they already announce fall sports are cancelled?

We'll gain a much better understanding at how physical contact sports MIGHT fare with the NHL starting back up.
MLB, not so well......Miami Marlins.

I think if you can remote learn, you should. Obviously some live in such remote areas of WV that they can't, those should be the ones who go to school. A teacher has both, live lessons and remote lessons being taught at the same time.

Remote learning is a waste of time for kids in middle and elem. school. Hard for them to grasp concepts and difficult for parents trying to help. You are correct, rural areas have little to none, or very poor internet, thus kids and parents are forced to find a place or library to do their work and link up. It's a mess and no one wins in this situation.

MLB, not so well......Miami Marlins.

I am aware that the MLB has already screwed it up, but they are also traveling more than the NBA and NHL.
The NHL is interesting because they are playing the Stanley Cup Playoffs in just 2 cities in Canada and they are obviously just as physical as football, hence why it'll be something to observe and possibly go to in terms of location restrictions and protocol in general.

While I agree with you, the evidence is starting to support the "bubble" idea (no fans, limited travel, pre-arranged accommodations) as about the only way to play long-term without a bunch of people testing positive (see Boxing, Golf, NBA, NHL)... That is simply not an option for college football. Essentially, what MLB is doing is the test case for college football and it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing the last few days.

While I agree with you, the evidence is starting to support the "bubble" idea (no fans, limited travel, pre-arranged accommodations) as about the only way to play long-term without a bunch of people testing positive (see Boxing, Golf, NBA, NHL)... That is simply not an option for college football. Essentially, what MLB is doing is the test case for college football and it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing the last few days.

Yup.
Blame Miami for messing up baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT