ADVERTISEMENT

Where Are the Herd Fans?

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Two back to back home games and we have a little over 24,000 for each game! Are we so disappointed that we hired a new coach and going to hire a new AD that many have decided not to attend? The weather for both games should not be a factor as both were played in great weather. I hope this is not going to be an indication of poor support moving forward. Losses no matter how they come about are always disappointing to us as fans but without us would we even have a team? And yesterday we should have sold out the Joan to honor the 1971 Marshall team and coaches who kept our football program alive. Just saying I am disappointed with the turn out so far and we have more home games to play. I must conclude that some of our fans have more important things to do on home game Saturday’s. This just my observations. No need to be rude in any responses as I am only questioning our lack of support at a time when we can come back and watch. Covid obviously is still a great concern to many.

Plainly, the number has decreased over the last six years, and what you are seeing is what we've been averaging since about 2015. The lure just isn't there and that needs correcting some way.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The attendance is not going to improve much for most games IMO. People have changed habits and it is impacting every sector of society. Habits have been formed as a result of the pandemic that are not going to change quickly or at all. We see this at ball games and church gathering etc. It is easier to stay home and watch the streaming event on FB or cable. Of course we will see bigger crowds when we play a Purdue or WVU but for these games I say around 28,000 is as good as we should expect for most games

Maybe it wouldn’t make a difference but why in the world, in the year 2021, can we not get decent cell service in that stadium? Today’s younger generation can’t live without staying connected at all times. Even old folks like me enjoy keeping up with scores, real time stats, etc.

You’d think MU would find a way to have AT&T or whoever turn up the juice. Get a public WiFi going. Something. I thought I read that towers would be upgraded. Guess that didn’t happen.

Maybe it wouldn’t make a difference but why in the world, in the year 2021, can we not get decent cell service in that stadium? Today’s younger generation can’t live without staying connected at all times. Even old folks like me enjoy keeping up with scores, real time stats, etc.

You’d think MU would find a way to have AT&T or whoever turn up the juice. Get a public WiFi going. Something. I thought I read that towers would be upgraded. Guess that didn’t happen.
@BleedsGreen33 was complaining about this during the game.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Same old same old…. I watched people tailgate and not even enter the stadium from where I was seated. It’s like the tailgate is the event. Things are changing. Not the same atmosphere. Not sure the pandemic is a good excuse because the people I saw weren’t exactly social distancing while tailgating. I always thought it felt special considering our history, just doesn’t anymore

Same old same old…. I watched people tailgate and not even enter the stadium from where I was seated. It’s like the tailgate is the event. Things are changing. Not the same atmosphere. Not sure the pandemic is a good excuse because the people I saw weren’t exactly social distancing while tailgating. I always thought it felt special considering our history, just doesn’t anymore
Yeah, talk about double standard. People bitch about attendance but yet you have thousands in the lots that never enter the stadium and nothing is ever said.

Allegedly a cell booster was installed in the stadium. However it seems worse this year than the last several years.

The fans were in the west concourse standing in line for food and drink. Then, every one of them were going down the steps next to my seat. There was so much foot traffic I thought the SP were going to have to start directing traffic. But there did appear to be hot dogs into the 4th qtr.

When the cheapest ticket is $30, that’s tough in a poor area. But let’s ignore the demographics and pretend it a booming area with endless disposable income.
The cost of tickets shouldn't be an issue. The fans are well informed of the home schedule months ahead of the season, so they can save accordingly. They offer various packages for families. People spend their money on far more useless things. The whole, "people can't afford it" is BS.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
If a cell booster was installed, someone robbed MU. Not a single person all around us could get a consistent or really even periodic connection.
I had to hit "resend" 2-3 times on texts. It was super annoying. The last two seasons I've been able to pull up my YoutubeTV either to see the camera angles on our game or check in on some others. I can't do anything this season.

I was there. The line for beer was long. All I know is I was assured MU fans would come once we ditched Doc.
All our terrible, boring games, would be wiped clean once he was out. Remember?
WVians are a funny bunch, all talk and no action. Our new, young, energetic HC even challenged the fans to show up.
Nobody did. MU had a ton of things going on this weekend, absolutely no reason to not show up.
The weather was a close to perfect as you could get, they blocked off 20th street to impvrove mobility for fans and events to do, Huff even apologized for the NCCU game, assuring us we'd be better, and once more, the "fans" can't blame Doc and they playing of the team since he ain't here anymore.

MU is supposed to be valuable for potentially leaving CUSA, something the fans wanted, now their only job is to prove they support the program and clearly, they're coming up waaaay short.

I had to hit "resend" 2-3 times on texts. It was super annoying. The last two seasons I've been able to pull up my YoutubeTV either to see the camera angles on our game or check in on some others. I can't do anything this season.

So we've gone from bad bathrooms, to hot dog wars, to rap music, to advertising woes, to now cell service availability as reasons to deflect the fact MU fans need to grow a pair and show up.

The one group that the fans on here blamed for lack of atmosphere, are the students, who've actually showed up for the first 2 home games.
The section is always full and remains full for most of the game, they were engaged in the game and even chanted "BS!" on ref calls.

I dunno, maybe you should get off your phone and watch the game? This isn't Doc ball, this is what you wanted...young and energetic football, and somehow the blame is put on cell towers!?

Reactions: HerdFan91
Fans complained about the games having too much advertising and too many things going on, distracting people from being able to watch the game...

Are now complaining that they can't be distracted fast enough on their phones during a game they should be watching.

Amazing.

Fans complained about the games having too much advertising and too many things going on, distracting people from being able to watch the game...

Are now complaining that they can't be distracted fast enough on their phones during a game they should be watching.

Amazing.
GHMY - we get it. You love to hear yourself talk. Not so entertaining on the receiving end!! Give it a rest. This subject has been beaten more than Capt America before he got juiced up. There is a core group of attendees at Marshall games. It is 24-25k. You may as well call it a sellout if you hit that number. It is what it is, and besides your bitching to the choir.
Go Herd!!

The fans are well informed of the home schedule months ahead of the season, so they can save accordingly.
C3NvTBeui6P0.gif

So we've gone from bad bathrooms, to hot dog wars, to rap music, to advertising woes, to now cell service availability as reasons to deflect the fact MU fans need to grow a pair and show up.

The one group that the fans on here blamed for lack of atmosphere, are the students, who've actually showed up for the first 2 home games.
The section is always full and remains full for most of the game, they were engaged in the game and even chanted "BS!" on ref calls.

I dunno, maybe you should get off your phone and watch the game? This isn't Doc ball, this is what you wanted...young and energetic football, and somehow the blame is put on cell towers!?
I am watching the game. You feel better puffing your chest out? This is bush league stuff that every other team we assume we belong with seems to pull off.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The cost of tickets shouldn't be an issue. The fans are well informed of the home schedule months ahead of the season, so they can save accordingly. They offer various packages for families. People spend their money on far more useless things. The whole, "people can't afford it" is BS.
No it is an issue. It’s basic economics and knowing your market. That’s why not everyone in Huntington drives a Tesla or Mercedes People have to make decisions on what is the best ROI for their limited funds. A family of 4 cannot attend a Marshall game under the current ticker plans for less than $100. Fact.
it’s delusional to think otherwise

Reactions: ThunderCat98
In all fairness to the

Amazing.
In all fairness it was chaotic at times. People start chanting we are... marshall then the dj starts up and pa guy saying something else and band starting up too was just like wtf is going on right now? Then when the board is saying to start a we are chant they announce to pay attention to the dj lol like what are we really supposed to be doing right now? At one point the crowd yelling really loud and they announced to listen to the dj he picked a song that hardly anyone got excited for and killed all of the loud cheering for the team. It was the first home game my wife has ever been to and she even said this crowd likes to sit down a lot. Not that we have to stand up all the time but i remember being a kid at the games and it seemed most were on their feet screaming and yelling throughout most of the game. Now it is stand for a big play and hurry to sit back down and just clap from your seat. Lol the game was entertaining and while we beat ourselves it did make the crowd come alive and you could feel the excitement when we were marching down the field with under a minute to go. If we can get a few things cleaned up where the sound is more organized and in sync with one another if could improve the experience a bit but i doubt that is what is keeping anyone out of the stadium by any means. Just seems like we are stuck with a half full stadium for whatever reason

Amazing.
If we only had 30K fans like you. Our school would be overflowing with cash donations and ticket sales, am right? Lol!

I've been informed our fans are customers and we all know that the customer is always right. If they choose to stay on the lot so be it. If they choose not to buy a ticket and stay on the lot so be it. Please don't criticize our customers.

In all fairness to the

In all fairness it was chaotic at times. People start chanting we are... marshall then the dj starts up and pa guy saying something else and band starting up too was just like wtf is going on right now? Then when the board is saying to start a we are chant they announce to pay attention to the dj lol like what are we really supposed to be doing right now? At one point the crowd yelling really loud and they announced to listen to the dj he picked a song that hardly anyone got excited for and killed all of the loud cheering for the team. It was the first home game my wife has ever been to and she even said this crowd likes to sit down a lot. Not that we have to stand up all the time but i remember being a kid at the games and it seemed most were on their feet screaming and yelling throughout most of the game. Now it is stand for a big play and hurry to sit back down and just clap from your seat. Lol the game was entertaining and while we beat ourselves it did make the crowd come alive and you could feel the excitement when we were marching down the field with under a minute to go. If we can get a few things cleaned up where the sound is more organized and in sync with one another if could improve the experience a bit but i doubt that is what is keeping anyone out of the stadium by any means. Just seems like we are stuck with a half full stadium for whatever reason
yep I have been saying that for the past couple of years

No it is an issue. It’s basic economics and knowing your market. That’s why not everyone in Huntington drives a Tesla or Mercedes People have to make decisions on what is the best ROI for their limited funds. A family of 4 cannot attend a Marshall game under the current ticker plans for less than $100. Fact.
And?

Typical Huntington attitude. “They” (some unlisted combination of the government/university, rich people and big companies) are supposed to provide me with what I wish to have, at a price I wish to pay.

Memo: The prices we charge and the donation levels we demand are what it takes to pay the freight at this level. If you cannot afford it, then go watch Huntington High.

Reactions: 19MU88
And?

Typical Huntington attitude. “They” (some unlisted combination of the government/university, rich people and big companies) are supposed to provide me with what I wish to have, at a price I wish to pay.

Memo: The prices we charge and the donation levels we demand are what it takes to pay the freight at this level. If you cannot afford it, then go watch Huntington High.
What a stupid response. I've been paying since 1989. How about you?

What a stupid response. I've been paying since 1989. How about you?
OK. So what is YOUR plan to cover the costs of I-A football, and the remaining sports (including national championship level soccer) in conference spread out across three time zones, and with TV appeal that is, well, what it is?

Mine is that this stuff costs money, and people that want it need to pay up.

Since you call that “stupid”, you must certainly have a detailed plan to do so otherwise.

I look forward to reading it.

Reactions: 19MU88
As a multiple season ticket holder for many years(dating back to Fairfield), before moving to Florida a couple years ago; I believe there are multiple reasons for our attendance issues. Dwindling area population, losing industrial jobs that have good paying jobs that led to more disposable income for entertainment, easy viewing access to most major games from the couch, recent season games were less than exciting, reseating plan left some season ticket holders upset and they canceled their tickets, the recent administration gave the impression to the average fan that it was no longer their team and instead it was the team for the chosen few. Once fans find other things to spend their entertainment dollars on, it is difficult to get them back and covid is still a factor this season too. Hopefully, attendance improves and those that come enjoy game day. One solution that some of us had for a time was to buy some cheap seats and give them away every week to those that couldn’t financially afford to go. Go Herd

Let's do away with "Toys for Tots" and start up a "Tickets for Tots" charity. Help a less fortunate toddler get a ticket to see the Herd.

Definitely. Our fans are a sad excuse for supporters. It is NOT tough to play in Huntington any longer. Our fans sit on their butts the entire game and will not cheer/yell. It’s like they’re watching the game on TV. Not only that, half of them leave at halftime and don’t return. If you are in the parking lot during the game, that is a stupid thing to do. You’re not stupid, but you’re doing stupid things. The fans quit early on, the team lost it at the end in front of a bored 15k fans.

Been to both home games so far. It looked like less of a crowd for ecu. It seemed to lack the excitement of the first game as well. Not sure why. Lots of empty spots on west lot for this game

OK. So what is YOUR plan to cover the costs of I-A football, and the remaining sports (including national championship level soccer) in conference spread out across three time zones, and with TV appeal that is, well, what it is?

Mine is that this stuff costs money, and people that want it need to pay up.

Since you call that “stupid”, you must certainly have a detailed plan to do so otherwise.

I look forward to reading it.
Sam, I'm not the one criticizing the fans. GHMY is railing on them. I've always known our fanbase supports the program as well as any other, all things considered. I have a post regarding attendance and those numbers bear that out.
IF we can ever put more butts in seats, it's gonna be with $10 end zone tickets and maybe with a P5 program coming in or possibly Navy.
No amount of cute AD tweets or emails is gonna get it done for the average Joe Fan.

The AD added $5 per ticket to the cost of the ECU game> Why was that? Are the Pirates considered elite now?

All I know is, I've been going to Marshall football games since 1969 and each year it gets worse. The in game environment is like an A.D.D convention and half the fans and all the students don't seem to have a pulse.
Sign of the times? Maybe. It's not exclusive to Marshall I know that. But it is worrisome.

IF we can ever put more butts in seats, it's gonna be with $10 end zone tickets

So you have detailed studies on how many people would come at $10, but are not coming now, when the bottom price is a whopping $20, together with a explanation of just how we are going to cover the costs of I-A football at prices lower than the cost of most local high schools.

Look forward to reading it.

Reactions: Ninegate
So you have detailed studies on how many people would come at $10, but are not coming now, when the bottom price is a whopping $20, together with a explanation of just how we are going to cover the costs of I-A football at prices lower than the cost of most local high schools.

Look forward to reading it.
It’s easy, when MU has the 15 deal on end zone seats, those sections are always the fullest in the place.

But let’s keep it at 30-40 a head and in 10 years when only 10K are at the games, we’ll see the same posts about why we can’t get 30K in the place every Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT