ADVERTISEMENT

Who overlooked Tyson Bagent????

Nov 29, 2011
With all of the recruiting experts we hear about. Looks like we need to hire the recruiting coordinator from Shepherd University! I know it is only one game but Bagent is in the NFL as a backup and not receive an offer from no D-1 schools not even a sneeze. He got his first win this weekend. We look at the stars next to the players names instead of recruiting football players.

Last edited:
With all of the recruiting experts we hear about. Looks like we need to hire the recruiting coordinator from Salem College! I know it is only one game but Bagent is in the NFL as a backup and not receive an offer from no D-1 schools not even a sneeze. He got his first win this weekend. We look at the stars next to the players names instead of recruiting football players.
If you’re going to call out other people then at least get the school he went to correct.

Sorry a$$hole

I would say that comment was a hit uncalled for. He pointed out a fairly glaring mistake in your post.

And typically football players earn those stars by being great football players. Every now and then one gets missed.

Kudos to Bagent for working hard and making it pay off for him.

Who knows. Had he went to a FBS school he may have gotten buried and never been given the shot. He went to Shepherd and got a lot of reps in a great system and made a name for himself.

Reactions: Elkview
With all of the recruiting experts we hear about. Looks like we need to hire the recruiting coordinator from Shepherd University! I know it is only one game but Bagent is in the NFL as a backup and not receive an offer from no D-1 schools not even a sneeze. He got his first win this weekend. We look at the stars next to the players names instead of recruiting football players.
The NFL for one undrafted FA

Pro scouts are better at judging talent at 23 than college coaches are at 17.

Grab up any pro roster. You will find plenty of guys from G5, I-AA, D2, Canada, and even D3.

Grab up any pro roster. You will find plenty of guys from G5, I-AA, D2, Canada, and even D3.
yet none of those pro scouts saw enough to draft him.

I don't agree with that at all. If it were true there would be more success at the QB position in the NFL. If pro scouts were so awesome at judging talent there wouldn't be so many first round busts and teams like the browns and lions wouldn't suck.

NFL scouts are way too enamored with their underwear olympics they hold every year and the P5. Dudes vaulting up draft boards because of their combine 40 times.

Doc was our HC during Tyson’s years in HS @ Martinsburg and evidently did not consider Martinsburg’s run of 8 or 9 State Championships worthy of his recruiting time and…even one of the mods on here used to slam me every time I mentioned Tyson or Martinsburg (Doc Deciples).

I don't agree with that at all. If it were true there would be more success at the QB position in the NFL.
Among the current starting QBs in NFL:

WVU (a mid-major when Smith was there)
Cincinnati (mid-major)
Louisville (a mid-major when Jackson was there)
Shephard College (D2)
Wyoming (G5)
Utah State (G5)
Fresno State (G5)
BYU (mid-major)

Along with solid, but unspectacular, P5 programs like Mississippi State, Wisconsin, Cal, Washington State, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, Pitt, and Iowa State.

Or, more broadly, lets just look at a team. Lets take our region's team. Cincinnati roster includes players from Pitt, Toledo, Humboldt State (D2), Appy State, FAU, Princeton, Tulane, Northern Illinois, North Dakota State, and Wyoming.

Or lets look at the vaunted draft (yawn). Last year, there were 3 players from CUSA, 7 MACers, 5 Mountain West, 9 Sun Belters, and 10 AAC players drafted. Along with 10 I-AA and 2 D2 players.

ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, want you to think about only 20 or so teams. There is a lot of talent, for a lot of reasons, playing in other places.

Doc was our HC during Tyson’s years in HS @ Martinsburg and evidently did not consider Martinsburg’s run of 8 or 9 State Championships worthy of his recruiting time and…even one of the mods on here used to slam me every time I mentioned Tyson or Martinsburg (Doc Deciples).
Doc was in good company as 127 other FBS coaches missed on him too. I hope he has a great nfl career!

Did anyone else? You guys act like we were the only ones missing on these kids. Bagent fell through the cracks. He also wasn't drafted. He was brought in as a UFA and through a series of events got to start.

It's also to be seen if it's just a flash in the pan as well. He's won one game as a backup that wasn't prepped for. I hope the guy has great success, but let's not act like had we brought him in that all of our woes would have been fixed.

So in his 2017 senior year, at least i assume that was his senior year. The closest he played to Huntington was one game at Princeton, everything else was north. By my count, i believe, the following universities are located closer to Martinsburg than Marshall, Pitt, Penn State, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, Maryland, UVA and USPAM. None of them offered. We didnt either.

We never see him. We rarely see any of those kids, and they dont seem to be pushing them down our way either.

He openly said he'd only consider leaving Shepard if it were to WVU only. He had no interest in Marshall.

So in his 2017 senior year, at least i assume that was his senior year. The closest he played to Huntington was one game at Princeton, everything else was north. By my count, i believe, the following universities are located closer to Martinsburg than Marshall, Pitt, Penn State, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, Maryland, UVA and USPAM. None of them offered. We didnt either.

We never see him. We rarely see any of those kids, and they dont seem to be pushing them down our way either.
Well, florida is a hell of a lot further away to recruit than martinsburg...

Well, florida is a hell of a lot further away to recruit than martinsburg...

Ok. But there are also 2,000 d1 kids down there.

I’m just saying he is local in that he is in the same state but he is closer to multiple other fbs schools and fcs schools none of which offered.

Ok. But there are also 2,000 d1 kids down there.

I’m just saying he is local in that he is in the same state but he is closer to multiple other fbs schools and fcs schools none of which offered.
I see what youre saying. But saying the distance was too far is a sorry excuse to not recruit him.We are also not on the same level as Pitt, Wvu, UVA, etc... we gotta find these gems.

I would say that comment was a hit uncalled for. He pointed out a fairly glaring mistake in your post.
Sad Care Bears GIF by Complex

FACT: West Virginia's three county Eastern Panhandle is almost as solid a hotbed of WVU supporters in this State as are Monongalia, Harrison and Marion Counties. Not really a lot of "LOVE" for Marshall, athletically and otherwise!!

Dave Walker had a tremendous run as HC of football at Martinsburg HS, winning 10 or more State Championships in about the same number of years. He is now back there after a stint coaching at Concord. During those championship seasons, I'm not sure of exactly how many players off of all those teams got Division One scholarships and went on to have significant and successful D1 college football careers. Or even eventful careers at the D2 level, like Bagent, which resulted in landing in the NFL.

The notion that a D1 One program could greatly improve its chances of sustained success in D1 play by going to Martinsburg High School year after year and handing out a bunch of D1 scholarships is, frankly, ludicrous. And that is not a criticism of MHS football per se, but more of the level/caliber of scholastic football statewide in WV, a State of only 1.8 million people!!

There’s quite a discrepancy between G5/FCS and D2/D3/Canada.

Adding G5 and FCS into this conversation isn’t what is being discussed.

And no, there aren’t many D2 or lowers on active NFL rosters. There are plenty of teams with 0.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
There are players like Austin Ekeler, Adam Thielen, that Tyreek Hill guy, and about 30 others. Granted, not many out of the 1,700 or so NFL players.

With the portal, that number may be zero in 10 years.

Well Doc didn't venture to a few HS in the area to look at kids. That's why they went elsewhere. Fact.

There are players like Austin Ekeler, Adam Thielen, that Tyreek Hill guy, and about 30 others. Granted, not many out of the 1,700 or so NFL players.

With the portal, that number may be zero in 10 years.
To be fair, Hill was only a D2 guy because he beat the living shit out of his girlfriend while at Oklahoma State 😫

I wasn't aware Ekeler was a D2 guy. Went somewhere called Western State. Sounds like a made-up college for a movie.

He (Ekeler) had no offers because they thought he was too short. Can’t think of his name right now, Colts nickel guy, highest paid slot corner in the NFL is also a D2 guy.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT