ADVERTISEMENT

Why?

therd1

Bronze Buffalo
Sep 30, 2006
Not to take away from a really nice win but why didn't Doc take Cato and Shuler out on that last drive? Also, why would you keep throwing the ball?

Because they are both seniors and playing their last game for the Herd. They deserved to play to the final whistle.

Stingly and NIU's head coach said something along the lines of we didn't want to play 4 physical quarters with them so i'm glad they got their 4 quarters worth and we didn't let up.

Originally posted by BleedsGreen33:
Because they are both seniors and playing their last game for the Herd. They deserved to play to the final whistle.
Absolutely, this game is probably the last time they will ever play together also.

Bad look from an outsider's perspective. Geez, let some of the kids play, if only to let them tell their kids that they played in this bowl. And throwing deep when up by that much? Not a good look. (And I've had Marshall as one of my favorite teams since they recruited me back in '68.)

Originally posted by SkilletHead2:
Bad look from an outsider's perspective. Geez, let some of the kids play, if only to let them tell their kids that they played in this bowl. And throwing deep when up by that much? Not a good look. (And I've had Marshall as one of my favorite teams since they recruited me back in '68.)
We threw it because we were trying to burn clock and they were calling their timeouts down by 30.

They only had three timeouts. That long incompletion just stopped the clock again. Just seemed really odd.

But that aside, you guys looked great! Would greatly have preferred seeing you go up against a decent power 5 team.

Originally posted by GeauxHerd:
Originally posted by zz1038:
I wish we put in another score late, just to prove a bigger point.
This. I wanted to go for 59 in the last 2 minutes.
If you are going to call timeouts down 5 scores with two minutes to go... I am going to make it 6 scores.

In hindsight, Doc and our guys proved all we needed to. We are good, and NIU is not.

They wanted Cato and Shuler to go down in the books as the all time leading passer and receiver in Boca Raton Bowl history.

Not sure of my numbers but I think they were trying to get Shuler to 100 catches for the 3rd year. Didn't he need 21 to get there? Don't think anyone has ever done that.

I don't think they we're "trying" to do anything for Shuler. NIU simply wasn't/couldn't cover him. No reason for Cato to go anywhere else.

After all they have been through in life, Cato and Shuler deserve to enjoy their last moments together on the field.

Originally posted by SkilletHead2:
They only had three timeouts. That long incompletion just stopped the clock again. Just seemed really odd.

But that aside, you guys looked great! Would greatly have preferred seeing you go up against a decent power 5 team.
Watch the film......They were throwing the little out to Shuler again and the DB had jumped it, so Cato just heaved it out of bounds.

As I've said on other threads, it was two guys who have been playing together since they were 7 years old, just playing pitch and catch until the end. I loved it......Much a appreciation to those two guys!

Using the timeouts down by 30 was bush league.

They weren't throwing deep, after 59 mins and change NIU finally took Shuler out of a play and Cato threw it away. Game would have already been over at that point as well if Carey wasn't calling timeouts.

No one on this board has did what those seniors have done over last 4 years. Most have no clue what these kids went through to get our program back to winning. They were not coming off that field regardless if doc said too or not. We were going to punt with 20 seconds left and Jasperse went nuts on doc. They wanted to go for it and show they will punch you in the mouth for 4 quarters. Doc finally said screw it, it's your game seniors. That's why they love doc so much. He cares about his kids

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT