ADVERTISEMENT

Will Hamrick Do Anything

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
After the WKU game in terms of telling - not asking, Doc to make some coaching changes and get an infusion of new blood into the program to prevent a repeat next year. If not Mr. Hamrick may run the risk of losing money in the lack of season ticket renewals.

One season will not affect the AD and Doc's relationship much but if there is a second season like this one the heat would be to much to be ignored. Lack of bodies in the stadium and a big drop in donations and money coming in would be a big deciding factor in Doc's future.

Hopefully Doc can grab some impact players from either junior college, graduate transfers or from the red shirts and props to turn us around.

We need immediate help in the defensive backfield and the offensive line. A stud running back would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio herd
Let me think about this for a while...Ok no he won't do anything.

They will spout off about injuries, guys not working hard, and you can't win 10 games all the time with the parody in college football. He will go on to say that he has full faith and trust in Doc and he will let Doc coach. They will go on to say how CUSA has got better and they need more money to compete with Florida International and the like.

Coach Doc is not hungry anymore. He needs to have the mentality, in terms of getting players, like he was when he was trying to make his name.

Reactions: mike48
It is O N E year, people. O N E year. The idea that you fire a coach for having O N E bad year is crazy. Nick Saban ain't walking through that door. Best case scenario would be an assistant from the lower half of a P5 league or a I-AA HC. And, the more coaches delusional fans run off because we have to win 10 or 11 games EVERY year, the less and less seriously anyone will take us.

MH will do nothing, because DH is smart enough to know what to do on his own. Legg will be let go and CL will be pushed out. Doc will have a grad transfer in at QB.

Nothing will be done. The staff will be intact, (if they don't leave on their own accord). Legg will be here and CL will be the starting QB. Some players we were counting to come in and play immediately on won't make it to campus and we'll be young again. Best case scenario 7-5 IF we are very lucky.

It is O N E year, people. O N E year. The idea that you fire a coach for having O N E bad year is crazy. Nick Saban ain't walking through that door. Best case scenario would be an assistant from the lower half of a P5 league or a I-AA HC. And, the more coaches delusional fans run off because we have to win 10 or 11 games EVERY year, the less and less seriously anyone will take us.

MH will do nothing, because DH is smart enough to know what to do on his own. Legg will be let go and CL will be pushed out. Doc will have a grad transfer in at QB.

It is actually Doc's third losing season. He has more losing seasons than he does conference championships. It appears he has an attrition problem and he may lost control of the team and program.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Nothing will be done. Legg will be here and CL will be the starting QB. Best case scenario 7-5 IF we are very lucky.

If that is so, then there is no way we win 7 games. No I-AA walkover next year. Miami, not the real one the one in Ohio was 0-6 but is now 6-6 and will get a bowl; NC State is 5-6 in the ACC and can get a bowl if it beats UNC (unlikely) but still it is on the road at an legitimate ACC team; Kent State is 3-8 including a bad loss to a I-AA but two of its other losses are to Top 10 teams (Alabama and Penn State) and seems not to be as bad as its record; and Cincinnati is 4-7 with a game against pretty good Tulsa left to play, but has none of the 4 wins look like anything.

Lose at least 3 of those 4, maybe all 4.

Assume that we see UTSA and Louisiana Tech next year. Both good. 2 losses.

Out of the east, WKU and MTSU are certain losses. Probably ODU as well.

Hopefully we get to play UAB.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I don't think
If that is so, then there is no way we win 7 games. No I-AA walkover next year. Miami, not the real one the one in Ohio was 0-6 but is now 6-6 and will get a bowl; NC State is 5-6 in the ACC and can get a bowl if it beats UNC (unlikely) but still it is on the road at an legitimate ACC team; Kent State is 3-8 including a bad loss to a I-AA but two of its other losses are to Top 10 teams (Alabama and Penn State) and seems not to be as bad as its record; and Cincinnati is 4-7 with a game against pretty good Tulsa left to play, but has none of the 4 wins look like anything.

Unless Doc find some quick fixes, we won't be any good next year either. You can be a mediocre or weak X and O guy but you better have talent and great assistants. Right now, he has neither.

I am not sure he recovers from this and it is evident by the rush to go get JUCO players. That is a quick fix.

I don't think

Unless Doc find some quick fixes, we won't be any good next year either. You can be a mediocre or weak X and O guy but you better have talent and great assistants. Right now, he has neither.

I am not sure he recovers from this and it is evident by the rush to go get JUCO players. That is a quick fix but rarely works in the long run.

Doc's recruiting has always been overstated and he has an attrition problem. Hamrick runs the athletic dept like the good ole boy network at the WV State Road.

I sure hope he at least hires a "name" quarterback coach who can right that position, recruit and be given some freedom to tweak the offense. Would be a great time for Byron or chad to step in...

Real SamC it's not one year. That is where you are completely off base. It's one championship in seven years. It's a horrendous 17-26 road record. It's a pathetic record vs. MAC opponents. All this season did was finally expose Doc. No more "10 win seasons" vs. below average opponents. Now he's lead us to a point where we have become that below average opponent. And as one poster wrote earlier it will not change next year. 7-5 is probably our ceiling which will only make Doc's seat warmer. Watching every game this year I see so many issues I believe next year will be more like 5-7. I do not believe any changes are coming this off season. I just hope the fans stick with the program. We will rise again whether it's with Doc or without.

It's really hard to see the state of this program and not be quickly reminded of the Herrion years; especially the last two. My biggest fear is Doc will panic knowing he's on his way out and start bringing in even more questionable kids including multiple JUCO's. We all saw how that worked out for Snyder...

Reactions: 30Kelly
Real SamC it's not one year. That is where you are completely off base. It's one championship in seven years. It's a horrendous 17-26 road record. It's a pathetic record vs. MAC opponents. All this season did was finally expose Doc. No more "10 win seasons" vs. below average opponents.

Could you please link me to your posts from the 13, 14 and 15 seasons where you reminded all of us that, really, 4, 1, and 3 losses in 12 game seasons, all with bowl wins were really not all that.

Could you please link me to your posts from the 13, 14 and 15 seasons where you reminded all of us that, really, 4, 1, and 3 losses in 12 game seasons, all with bowl wins were really not all that.

What does that have to do with facts? You have to face them at some point and nothing Brando said wasn't true.

Bottom line Doc needs help - COACHING help! He needs a new offensive coordinator. If he decides to retain his "old buddy" then you can rest assured that will be reflected in season ticket renewals UNLESS Hamrick finds his testicles and dismisses Legg himself. Doc needs to let Heater and Mirabel go as well. Yeah I hear some of you already saying Heater doesn't have the right players. That's bull. He's as bad as Legg - just a little more personable.
Mirabel - well for all the preseason crap about our offensive line he sure coached them up. If these changes are not made next year will be a repeat IMO. I have been a Big Green member and season ticket holder since 1969 and I am a life member of the M Club. But watching this team and seeing such poor coaching and absolutely nothing new I am now wondering about supporting this program any further. I am now 70 and while I love Marshall sports I cannot convince myself to give any more money unless changes are made. And for what's it worth Mike Hamricks popularity is beginning to wear thin.

My contributions to MU are not contingent on any changes in the coaching staff (that 's my choice). Addtionally, I'm neither a "Super Fan" nor a "Death Eater". My belief is that we need the right players for our system and for some reason that did not happen this year. Chase is not the QB for this system today (he may develop and I hope so). His issues were on display last year as we lost games (Middle TN & WKU) because the offense could not generate 1st downs or points. That has continued. I'm not placing all of our issues on this young man. On offense we are hurting on the line and at the slot position. We need a Tommy S. type player(s) that can get open and move the chains. On defense, we have some good developing players; however, need to some speed. Personally, I don't believe that coaches forget how to coach in a 12 month period. I'm more interested in what we do on player personnel over the next 12 months than anything else.

This time last year Litton was poised to be the next in line of great MU QB's. Everyone was convinced that after an off season in the weight room and film room, and getting him to stop throwing off his back foot we'd be set for 3 years. He had a better freshman outing than any of the modern day Marshall greats. So what happened?

He wasn't given any help at all. The O line blows, no run game, no slot receiver that can bail him out, decent long ball options but that's easily shut down when that's your whole offense. Every offensive coach should feel the fire under their ass right now but the common denominator is Legg. They all work for his scheme and he's the QB coach.

I actually feel for Litton. He's two years behind where he should be, that's on the coaches, not him. The junior and senior years of a 4 year starter is a beautiful thing to see, instead we're looking for new blood. As a leader Litton should stay in Huntington this summer but I wouldn't blame him for heading back to FL and linking up with Eric Kresser again.

Can't believe that some staff changes among Doc's coaches aren't warranted. Cannot ALL be based on personnel given that many of you arguing this HAVE TOUTED DOC'S RECRUITING CLASSES IN LAST 3-4 YEARS BEING AT OR NEAR THE TOP OF ALL OF G5 SCHOOLS!!! Yeah, maybe Doc's recruiting tactics have come back to bite him, combined with a rather severe injury bug. Attrition due to academic or character issues, and general defections have certainly hurt this season, but other than being one of the 3 blind mice anyone else who has watched football over the years would realize that this team is poorly schooled in fundamentals like blocking, tackling, reacting to the football, etc. That plus some of the most simplistically designed offensive schemes which have been overall poorly executed warrant changes and a shakeup.

Will be interested to see what University of Cincinnati's football program does post season, given that Tuberville has been head coach there for several seasons and they have hit the skids almost as bad as us. If Tommy T. keeps his job, will Cincy's AD encourage/force him to make changes in his staff? Since we play them next season, will be curious to see how the 2 programs react to their football misfortunes in 2016.

I might be crazy but why not go after Chad for our OC. He can read and when he played here he almost never put use in a bad play when he would check out of a play.he has played in the NFL and I'm sure knows how draw up plays and he would be a good Qb coach as well and I believe could get use some good QBs as a recruiter. Have Chad do both Oc/ QBs coach would allow Marshall to pay him more. Like I said crazy but why not ask Chad can't hurt or atleast offer him what one he would like to do.

Toes he may have, as you posted, said that BUT do we know if he has ever been offered? If asked I believe he would accept.

That's a double edged sword with Chad. Do we really want someone who is arguably the most heralded player of all time coming in and potentially failing? I would assume leave him alone unless he came to us wanting/asking for the job.

Also, he was a great player and has a great mind for the game, but that doesn't always translate into being great at coaching.

I would at least see if he was willing to work with our QBs. It seems that Cato gained a lot from just spending time with him.

Any QB would be nuts not to seek out his guidance.

Reactions: pdbailey
30 how in the world would Chad fail as the QB position coach. I want to hear your explanation.

30 how in the world would Chad fail as the QB position coach. I want to hear your explanation.
And where did you learn that there are guarantees in life. If Chad didn't live up to the expectations the Marshall entitled piranhas would try to ruin him. I

You missed the point. Chad knows more than Legg can remember. Yes if he did poorly he would incur the wrath of the Herd faithful.

I can't imagine anyone not thinking we need a new OC. Hell, even opposing fans and coaches question the vanilla offense we have.
Legg needs to go.

And if Litton wanted to improve his mechanics he could. It's not rocket science figuring out his issues. He can work with someone like Kresser or on his own to correct his flaws.

First of all, show me where I stated I was certain he would fail. Has he ever been a college QB coach? Are you an established college QB coach? I know I sure as hell am not and neither is Chad.

I do know there are tons of talented athletes out there, but not all of them are guaranteed to be great at coaching others simply based on their own athletic abilities.

The dreamer in me would love to see Sir Chad come home, take over the Herd and lead us on to heights we never imagined.

One word answer to the question - NO

Cant and for one simple reason $$$ , can not fire and pay for plus hire a new guy at the same time unless he cons The Mad Hatter into coming in ( his LSU buyout would allow him to coach for free) and that is not gonna happen.

Dumbest move ( again) was the contract extension , its not like anyone was seriously chasing after Holliday.

Just another in the long line of dumb mistakes made by multiple AD's over the years. We are the best in the nation at shooting ourselves in the foot bar none.

Reactions: oldeherd
As a head coach manager Doc is fine, he just needs to find beter OC and DC to do the game day stuff. cause he sucks at it. Let Doc do the management stuff that the college head coach needs to do, and leave the game plan and the game adjustments to those who can do it. The OC.DC we have now have no clue IMHO

Houston - not to argue the point but - as a manager - Holliday does a very poor job of game time situations as well. Too many times over the years ( even years winning 10 games) there has been too much confusion on the sidelines - add to that his ability to come up with the asst coaches that as well can handle in game situations ( make adjustments on the fly that Holliday fails see need to be accomplished , that and the continued failure to make the proper half time adjustments.

Some of this (per other posters) goes back to the fact in all likelihood , the talent ( players) is not there , sold by a few sports so called writers as the next coming of past players who could and did perform.

But over all , Holliday's management from top to bottom is very poor. I do not see any change coming unless the AD tells Holliday it's them or you , take your pick and considering the AD's past performances here as well as at other schools , not holding my breath.

Do all good students make good teachers?

im assuming most of you answered that correctly.

Thus, what makes many of you think a great player will make a great position coach or head coach??

There is a big difference between teaching and learning, between motivating and being motivated, developing game plans and executing such plans.

Now if your simply wanting to reinvigorate the fan base with a hometown favorite, that's a different question. But, it is one an AD has to consider.

My personal opinion is that we are currently on that road, and there are many mixed opinions about it.

How many great players who failed as coach (manager in baseball) can you name? Thousands?

First, fundamentally different jobs. Being good at one does not imply being good at the other.

Second, being a coach/manager is hard work. Long hours. Frustrating. And because the number of coaches is limited by NCAA rule, every coach, even a celebrity ex-player, has to work full time, including recruiting.

CP made upwards of $70M on the NFL. He graduated magna cum laude. I would hope he has enough sense to have more than enough in the bank to live well for life. You really think he is going to want to sleep on the couch in his cubicle after putting in yet another 20 hour day.

And, bluntly, third, MU is not an entry level position.

We need to all get over this "local boy come home to save us" mentality. In MU coaching, in politics, in business. It is holding us back.

Reactions: ToesMU
I doubt that hammy will force Doc to make any changes. Like others on here I say it is one season. Please allow him a mulligan on the first couple years here to establish his team. Now I would add I am very concerned that he has lost the program. I like Doc but heavens to Betsy to go from 10 wins to 3 in one season against an easy schedule is mind blowing. Hate to say it but he is rolling the dice if he doesn't shake up his staff. Going the JUCO route at this point is all he can do IMO. Going forward if he is still with us he needs to go after more kids that will be with us 4-5 years down the road. Getting kids with 3-4 stars who never make it to the field is not helping us.

Ohio posted to allow Doc a "mulligan on the first couple of years here." Where you been Ohio? How long do you think Doc has been here? I can agree a bad team out of what he has had BUT clearly he must get rid of both OC and DC and quickly before spring ball and get back on track. If Doc won't - and according to some on here neither will Hamrick, then season ticket sales next year will probably be a disaster. Hamrick simply cannot afford to lose anymore season ticket holders.

Ohio posted to allow Doc a "mulligan on the first couple of years here." Where you been Ohio? How long do you think Doc has been here? I can agree a bad team out of what he has had BUT clearly he must get rid of both OC and DC and quickly before spring ball and get back on track. If Doc won't - and according to some on here neither will Hamrick, then season ticket sales next year will probably be a disaster. Hamrick simply cannot afford to lose anymore season ticket holders.
I have been here. If you want to hold it against him his first couple years here go ahead.He inherited a program that was not doing well. He has 3 straight 10 win seasons before this year. He had a Top 25 finish. He won a conference title. That's where I have been. Not with my head in the sand like you mr negative. Now I agree this years performance is not acceptable something I said in my post but you obviously don"t read. He needs to be given one more year to right the ship. If he doesn't he should be fired. Personally I am afraid it is too far gone How's that?

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
No change is being made this year.

Bank on it

However , Hamrick is aware of things and has been told that it all starts at the top.

This isn't encouraging. "Hamrick is aware of things". How the hell could he not be? He would have to have spent all fall on another planet. And if he has to be "told that it starts at the top" then we've got the wrong guy.

Hamrick has no choice. Doc has obviously lost the team. Mike can lose the confidence of the entire fan base if he fails to act.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT