ADVERTISEMENT

Willie Taggart to Oregon

dangerousdaneerfan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2007
Just broke about an hour ago that USF and former WKU coach Willie Taggart is headed to Eugene. As for WKU, the rumor is that they will hire Tennessee Titans QB coach Jason Michael as head coach. How a football team that was 1AA 15 years ago has lapped Marshall is something I just do not understand.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Well, I mean, Marshall was 1-AA 20 years ago. And if I was gonna guess, they're probably doing it the same way Marshall did when we came out of nowhere, kicking ass and taking names.

We cheated.

Reactions: 30Kelly
Good, positive comment alicious, really good positive comment.

Just broke about an hour ago that USF and former WKU coach Willie Taggart is headed to Eugene. As for WKU, the rumor is that they will hire Tennessee Titans QB coach Jason Michael as head coach. How a football team that was 1AA 15 years ago has lapped Marshall is something I just do not understand.

Why a wvu dirtybag would want to post on a nonrivals message board for 15 years is something I just dont understand.

Reactions: The Real SamC
wow Dan they have had 2 seasons that were better than us. They have 1 conference title. We have 6. They have been ranked 1 time in the Top 25 we have made it 4 times. They just lost their 3rd coach in say 5 years or so. Dont think that will catch up? yep

Yeah, the idea that WKU has somehow "lapped Marshall" is rediculious. WKU has had a nice run for a few years. Props to them. Anybody who watched the CUSA championship game saw their top limit for fan support is pretty thin and, with the current TV deal, hurts them bigtime. After Big Blue take 99% of the fan support in the Commonwealth and Loserville soaks up most of the rest, there is little left for the directionals.

This has very little to do with Oregon hiring USF's coach. Things have a way of evening out over time. A school over-achieves, sometimes for even as long as a decade but at the end of the day the big boys in that region figure it out. Oregon has been figured out.

wow Dan they have had 2 seasons that were better than us. They have 1 conference title. We have 6. They have been ranked 1 time in the Top 25 we have made it 4 times. They just lost their 3rd coach in say 5 years or so. Dont think that will catch up? yep

They actually have 2 titles. CUSA back to back. Not that that makes much difference.

Reactions: 30Kelly

Because having the same coach for the last 7 years has put us in such great position......

look if we suck again next year I might agree with you. But I think 3 ten win seasons is not bad.

And three losing seasons is not good either. It's not like this season has come outta no where . The warning signs have been there.

WKU has back to back titles. If you watched the game we played against them the last 2 years I would agree at this point they are heads and shoulders above us right now. They are very decisive on their coaching picks and they didn't waste time here. Here at Marshall we always hire our buddies and sit around and wait for something to happen. We aren't proactive at all. Look at the season we had and our staff is still exactly the same. It's mind blowing really.

And three losing seasons is not good either. It's not like this season has come outta no where . The warning signs have been there.
Well first of all, I was comparing the 2 programs over a span of 19-20 years not the past 2-3 years. I will take Marshall every time over those guys. I agree we are in a tough spot at the moment but I am optimistic we will recover. WKU on the other hand has had back to back good seasons.For Goodness sake they have had 3 coaches in a row that have went on to bigger things. What were their records?

Taggert 16-20
Petrino 8-4
Brohm 30-10

During this same time Doc is 53-37.WKU is 54-34

So say what you want but it is yet to see that WKU will continue to have success. Maybe they will maybe they won't.I like our chances of returning to 10 win seasons better than theirs of continuing

Last edited:
Well first of all, I was comparing the 2 programs over a span of 19-20 years not the past 2-3 years. I will take Marshall every time over those guys. I agree we are in a tough spot at the moment but I am optimistic we will recover. WKU on the other hand has had back to back good seasons.For Goodness sake they have had 3 coaches in a row that have went on to bigger things. What were their records?

Taggert 16-20
Petrino 8-4
Brohm 30-10

During this same time Doc is 53-37.WKU is 54-34

So say what you want but it is yet to see that WKU will continue to have success. Maybe they will maybe they won't.I like our chances of returning to 10 win seasons better than theirs of continuing

Trust me I'm not being contrary here for the sake of it, I really want you to be right. But what objective measure are you basing this on ?

Trust me I'm not being contrary here for the sake of it, I really want you to be right. But what objective measure are you basing this on ?
just a "gut feeling" 73. I think there are certain intangibles that cause a team to rise to the top an stay there. I am not convinced WKU is there. Marshall is borderline IMO. I am talking G5 here. Look at the great programs like Michigan. A few down years but they bounce back. Consider Miami of Ohio they have a long history of success and have fallen on hard times in recent years. They are slowly returning to form.Look at Duke and Vanderbilt. A few good years and now back to being mediocre. That is why I look at 20-30 year periods of time. They have been fortunate to have 3 good coaches in a row. If they land #4 who knows the sky could be the limit for them. On the other habd, The Herd just suffered through the worst meltdown in one season I have ever observed in over 45 years of watching Herd football. I am concerned about if Doc has lost control of the program. This is where MH and the new President of MU have to have a clue and evaluate the situation.
My hope is that because of our tradition both on and off the field and the commitment to having a great football team the Herd will not slip away into the abyss of CFB teams that shined for a few years and then fell back to the earth.

My hope is that because of our tradition both on and off the field and the commitment to having a great football team the Herd will not slip away into the abyss of CFB teams that shined for a few years and then fell back to the earth.
I'm not sure that doesn't describe us now. From 1999 to 2002, we finished ranked in the Top 25 three out of those four years. We've been ranked once in the fourteen years since. We have not spent so much as a week in the Top 25 in any of those years except 2014.

I'm not sure that doesn't describe us now. From 1999 to 2002, we finished ranked in the Top 25 three out of those four years. We've been ranked once in the fourteen years since. We have not spent so much as a week in the Top 25 in any of those years except 2014.
Well that is my concern as well. I guess the next few years will tell us what we are made of.That is also my point about WKU. It is hard to get there and even harder to stay there over a long period of time.

Reactions: herdalicious
WKU has back to back titles. If you watched the game we played against them the last 2 years I would agree at this point they are heads and shoulders above us right now. They are very decisive on their coaching picks and they didn't waste time here. Here at Marshall we always hire our buddies and sit around and wait for something to happen. We aren't proactive at all. Look at the season we had and our staff is still exactly the same. It's mind blowing really.

As long as we have apologetic fans who believe wholeheartedly that we aren't owed anything more than the luxury of watching us lose games, this will continue.

Oh, and let's not forget the excuse that we are so poor and destitute that we couldn't hire a homeless person looking for a warm shelter to sleep under. There are some coaches in the I-AA ranks who are chomping at the bit to move up. Marshall is and always will be a stepping stone program for a coach who is a winner. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you're ready to aggressively search every few years to repeat. This is what WKU is and will continue doing.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
As long as we have apologetic fans who believe wholeheartedly that we aren't owed anything more than the luxury of watching us lose games, this will continue.

Oh, and let's not forget the excuse that we are so poor and destitute that we couldn't hire a homeless person looking for a warm shelter to sleep under. There are some coaches in the I-AA ranks who are chomping at the bit to move up. Marshall is and always will be a stepping stone program for a coach who is a winner. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you're ready to aggressively search every few years to repeat. This is what WKU is and will continue doing.

Amen!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT