Best Bowel Match-ups:
Ark St. (6-5) vs UCF (6-6)
USM (6-6) vs Louisiana Lafayette (6-6)
Miami Other (6-6) vs Miss St. (5-7)
Maryland (6-6) vs Boston College (6-6)
NC St. (6-6) vs Vandy (6-6)
Army (7-5) vs North Texas (5-7)

Reactions: ohio herd
Andy, I would agree. Attribute my adverse bowel condition this fall on having watched too damn many Herd games in person!!:p

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yes your right my good friend andy. Of all years not to get it.It has never been easier. I will watch boise vs baylor and the playoff gamed and wv. Andy do u care about any of the games?

Yes your right my good friend andy. Of all years not to get it.It has never been easier. I will watch boise vs baylor and the playoff gamed and wv. Andy do u care about any of the games?

watching Miss St. and Cryami right now. hope MSU drops 100 on them...

Reactions: Herd Fever
While I agree that the majority of bowls are meaningless, I never understood why you would want to do away with any of them? I mean it's just more football to watch if I want and if I don't, I turn the channel. I'd rather have the option of switching a game on even if it's 2 mediocre teams.

The amount of bowl games is a joke. I don't see how they make any money or get ANY descent commercial value out of them. Other than the games around or after New Years, what's the point. I don't buy into the program exposure BS. Nothing like trying to recruit at the BOCO BOWL or the Popeyes Bowl, give me a freakin break. Hey kid, come play with us and you can get to a fine bowl like this with 11000 people in the stands and 35000 watching nationally. Just give everyone with a WINNING record the extra month to practice and be done with it....geez

So by this logic we have the 4 team playoff and be done with it? Basically all bowls are meaningless unless they are a route to the national championship. Is that what we're advocating?

So by this logic we have the 4 team playoff and be done with it? Basically all bowls are meaningless unless they are a route to the national championship. Is that what we're advocating?
I am old enough to remember when making a bowl game meant something. I still remember watching WVU beat South Carolina in the 1969 Peach Bowl on a snowy black/white TV with my granddad.

College football has gone through a big transition the last thirty years, and if you were alive at the beginning of that to see where it was and where its gone, its hard not to say the sports been over-commercialized to the point of being cheapened.

These bowls are a prime example - if a network can make $10 on it and a city can have an event to host, they have a bowl. Call up two teams who might break even or possibly even lose money on the game, and have yourself a scrimmage. Nobody cares that the whole endeavor is pointless, there's $10 to be made.

While I agree that the majority of bowls are meaningless, I never understood why you would want to do away with any of them? I mean it's just more football to watch if I want and if I don't, I turn the channel. I'd rather have the option of switching a game on even if it's 2 mediocre teams.

THIS. People get their panties all in a wad over "too many" bowl games. It was not that long ago that we had to WIN to MAC to go to a bowl game, and that in frozen Pontiac, Michigan. Everybody else stayed home.

Kids get a nice trip where they get to spend four or five days in a, usually, nice place and get a NCAA legal "gift pack" that is usually about $500 worth of stuff. Traveling fans get an option for a nice trip. TV fans get some sports at a time when there is nothing else on. Nobody is hurt.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The only thing I'm getting out of watching some of these worthless bowls is witnessing the further humiliation of our program and the overall pathetic effort we witnessed this season.

Any chance we can hire a recruiting coordinator as our new offensive coordinator from one of these programs we used to thump? "It's probably all we can afford to get anyway...."

Reactions: HerdFan91
THIS. People get their panties all in a wad over "too many" bowl games. It was not that long ago that we had to WIN to MAC to go to a bowl game, and that in frozen Pontiac, Michigan. Everybody else stayed home.

Kids get a nice trip where they get to spend four or five days in a, usually, nice place and get a NCAA legal "gift pack" that is usually about $500 worth of stuff. Traveling fans get an option for a nice trip. TV fans get some sports at a time when there is nothing else on. Nobody is hurt.
Thy got a free education also ... guess you forgot about that $$$$$

College football has gone through a big transition the last thirty years, and if you were alive at the beginning of that to see where it was and where its gone, its hard not to say the sports been over-commercialized to the point of being cheapened.

These bowls are a prime example - if a network can make $10 on it and a city can have an event to host, they have a bowl. Call up two teams who might break even or possibly even lose money on the game, and have yourself a scrimmage. Nobody cares that the whole endeavor is pointless, there's $10 to be made.
Most do not break even though... MU lost money for years in the MAC
Going to bowls if I remember correctly

It takes away from my JAMES BOND movie weekends and watching shi*ty football is not really that fun to watch

Most do not break even though... MU lost money for years in the MAC
Going to bowls if I remember correctly

that is correct. the MAC changed the bowl revenue sharing clause because we lost money every year we went. they started making sure the team in the bowl actually broke even before any other teams got a dime. all the other conferences followed suit.

People in this thread are clueless about why these bowl games happen. OU-Troy bowl game the other night drew 2.5 million TV viewers, number 1 watched program on cable that night. There is money to be made. Newsflash, Americans love to watch football on TV. If you're not interested, change the channel.

Reactions: jocktalker
When teams with only 5 or 6 wins make it to the post season that should definitely tell everyone there are far too many bowl games. Have turned on a few of the early games to only shake my head when looking at the empty seats in the venues.

If you are not playing from yesterday forward , you have no business being in a bowl game nor do many people realize who is playing in most of the junior bowl games. There are three teams playing today and tomorrow that fit the bill of should not be there as well South Carolina , South Alabama and TCU all with 6-6 records. 7 wins to me should be the number , anything less , no bowl.

Then of course since the NCAA has opted to flood us with insignificant bowl games a ton of revenue would be lost , thus the answer to why there are so many games. $$$$

If the NCAA wants to do something that is meaningful - expand the so called playoff to 8 to 10 teams , eliminate the also rans from the bowl picture , take the bowl games from the 27th or 28th going forward (as an example) and fill those slots with playoff teams.

As someone said earlier in the thread - participation trophies

People in this thread are clueless about why these bowl games happen. OU-Troy bowl game the other night drew 2.5 million TV viewers, number 1 watched program on cable that night. There is money to be made. Newsflash, Americans love to watch football on TV. If you're not interested, change the channel.

I'd rather watch any college football game than the putrid shit that's on TV now a days. Except for Seinfeld re-runs = still the best stuff on TV.

Obviously we all know what drives the bowl mess - $$$ from television and not fannies in the actual stadium seats. So - like the OP , don't like it , don't watch , which is pretty much what I do until the 27th or 28th sans the 1-aa playoff games which have really been good again this year.

Can't imagine MU fans ridiculing the lower tier bowls as without them Marshall's bowl history would be non-existent.

having lower tier bowls isn't the problem. i don't think anybody anywhere thinks conference champs (or even runner-ups) should be sitting at home. the problem is the lower lower lower tier bowls where a team that finished 4th in the MAC with a 6-6 record plays a team that finished 6 out of 7 in the SEC West with a 5-7 record. or a team that finished 6th in CUSA with a 6-6 record vs a team that finished 5th in the Sun Belt with a 6-6 record.

the bottom of the barrel bowls these days make our Motor City Bowls agains Ole Miss and BYU look like New Year's day games...

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Me. Shitty teams shouldn't make bowls. Half these bowls shouldn't happen, much less be televised. You people who voted for Trump should get him to change that for next year.

I've heard that is part his second term platform strategy to "Make Bowls Great Again" keep that in mind when Hillary resigns her Chappaqua, NY country commissioner seat to run against him in 4 years.

Reactions: andy4theherd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT